Search Unity

PlayMaker - Visual Scripting for Unity

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Alex-Chouls, Dec 31, 2010.

1. Alex-Chouls

Alex-Chouls

To be honest extending PlayMakerFSM is not a use case that has been well tested... I'll check it and try to fix any issues in the next update. Thanks for letting me know! If you have a chance, please submit a bug (Main Menu > PlayMaker > Tools > Submit Bug Report) so we can track the issue... Thanks!

2. Alex-Chouls

Alex-Chouls

What version of Playmaker are you using? Newer versions upgrade action data in standalone builds, not just in the editor, so you shouldn't be seeing the issue described in that thread any more...

Please start a thread in the Playmaker forums so we can figure out the problem.

3. sqallpl

sqallpl

Can you share your plans for Unity 5? Will the Playmaker be compatible with Unity 5 from the day one? I'm not asking about new actions for the new Unity features (I'm sure they will come later anyway ;) ), just the actual packages and standard actions. I'm wondering how difficult it will be (and how long it would take before it's possible) to move actual projects that are based on Playmaker FSMs from Unity 4 to Unity 5 and continue the work.

Please let us know!

BTW. Do you need to update all actions manually because of the new scripting methods?

4. Alex-Chouls

Alex-Chouls

Hi, we've been working with the Unity 5 alpha for quite some time. The next Playmaker update (currently in beta) is fully compatible with Unity 5. Unity has also been working hard to make sure Playmaker works with WebGL, and I just heard at Unite that Unity WebGL now supports Playmaker :)

You will not need to update any official actions manually. However custom actions that use depreciated properties or methods will need updating. Luckily Unity 5 has a handy built in script upgrade tool that can do this automatically.

We're very excited about Unity 5 and supporting all the great new features in the 5.x cycle in Playmaker!

John-G, moure and sqallpl like this.
  5. sqallpl

sqallpl

@Alex Chouls

That's just great! Thanks for your reply.

So generally, additional actions like animator, path-finding etc. will be updated for the Unity 5 in the next release. Am I right?

Do you think that you will release the next update before Unity 5 will be officialy released? Maybe for an open beta of Unity 5?

6. Alex-Chouls

Alex-Chouls

We'll make sure additional actions and addons are compatible with Unity 5, but it may not happen in sync with the main Playmaker update... but it will happen before the official Unity 5 release...

We hope to release the next update soon. It will be compatible with the Unity 5 beta for those who have access to it :)

sqallpl likes this.
  7. Alex-Chouls

Alex-Chouls

8. Bradamante

Bradamante

Hi,

I am facing another problem using PlayMaker. Is PM compatible with HOTween? Yes, I saw there's a official HOTween Actions package, but my existing code works a bit differently, so I don't want to use that.

My problem is that in an Action I define a HOTween Sequence in OnEnter, but it looks like to me the OnComplete callback is called immediately. Is that a known problem?

9. Alex-Chouls

Alex-Chouls

Hi,

Jean Fabre made the HOTween Actions. There's a support thread here that might help:
    http://hutonggames.com/playmakerforum/index.php?topic=2299

There's a discussion about waiting for tweens to finish with the official actions, so it is possible, but I'm not that familiar with HOTween myself. I would post your question on the Playmaker Forums where Jean is more likely to see it...

10. Alex-Chouls

Alex-Chouls

TechnicalArtist likes this.
  11. Bradamante

Bradamante

I solved the HOTween issues. Problem was that I tried to "help" the garbage collection by putting things like

Code (csharp):
    1. mySequence = null
    into the OnExit functions of my custom actions. Problem is that it seems Awake, OnEnter and OnExit are called very often when working in the Editor or when exiting Play Mode. Then, HOTween was not able to remove the HOTween GameObject from the hierarchy, multiple of them piling up with repeated Play sessions.
    When I stopped the null thing, behavior came back to normal.

Now I have an issue with PoolManager. I use PlayMaker for AI behavior. My AIs are pooled using PoolManager 5. The AI shows some strange behavior when objects are being spawned from the pool that have been used before. I.e., when the pool size is 25, the 26th object and so forth will behave strangely.

The model is jittering around, as if two HOTweens or two Update functions were working on it. Does that sound familiar? What am I doing wrong?

I tried to register, but I never got the confirmation mail.

LaneFox likes this.
  12. LaneFox

LaneFox

What is your username? Or the email address you used to register with.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2014
  13. Bradamante

Bradamante

Yeah, I got the email now, propably sometime around when you replied.

LaneFox likes this.
  14. Alex-Chouls

Alex-Chouls

Siggraph 2014 talk on making video games with C4D and Unity + Playmaker:

Play_Edu and LaneFox like this.
  15. Alex-Chouls

Alex-Chouls

16. TechnicalArtist

TechnicalArtist

17. Alex-Chouls

Alex-Chouls

18. Play_Edu

Play_Edu

19. Greenwar

Greenwar

Hey guys, just thought I'd let you know that I keep getting a internal service error whenever i try to send a confirmation letter to my mail on your forums.

20. Alex-Chouls

Alex-Chouls

Thanks for letting us know, I'll look into it... Are you trying to register on the forums? If you're still having problems please email info at hutonggames dot com and we'll get it sorted out.

21. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

22. Alex-Chouls

Alex-Chouls

23. Alex-Chouls

Alex-Chouls

24. Alex-Chouls

Alex-Chouls

25. theBrandonWu

theBrandonWu

I created an endless 2D platformer (inspired by Fire Flowers in mario games) using the foundations from my 2D Platformer Playmaker class - available now on the App Store. (99% PlayMaker. The 1% = Analytics, GameCenter, iAd, part of the virtual joystick). Give it a try and let me know your thoughts!

iTunes Link: Pocket Fireball (free)
    Trailer: on YouTube

marcos likes this.
  26. Alex-Chouls

Alex-Chouls

Looks awesome! Love the animated gif :)

27. Play_Edu

Play_Edu

28. Alex-Chouls

Alex-Chouls

TechnicalArtist likes this.
  29. theBrandonWu

theBrandonWu

Thanks Alex! Just submitted an update for Thanksgiving - PlayMaker is making things sooooooo easy! :)

30. ZJP

ZJP

Sorry if this has been asked before, but is that the tool has an export to csharp?. I mean possibility to use the result without Playmaker. My concern is performance.

31. Alex-Chouls

Alex-Chouls

Playmaker doesn't export to csharp. A Playmaker FSM is a MonoBehaviour and the FSM is essentially data. Most of the work is done by modular Actions, which are regular scripts with parameters exposed in the Playmaker editor. The FSM provides the core structure that sets up and calls the Actions. There is some overhead to this, but most of the time the workflow convenience outweighs the cost (just as Unity has performance costs compared to lower level APIs). It also depends on the demands of your project. There may be performance critical sections that need custom actions or scripts... But generally speaking the normal performance guidelines are still applicable to a Playmaker project (e.g., graphics are often the bottleneck, optimize the physics setup, do less work, use object pools, test on the target device as you develop...)

32. ZJP

ZJP

Thanks.

33. Alex-Chouls

Alex-Chouls

gautsch likes this.
  34. Alex-Chouls

Alex-Chouls

35. Alex-Chouls

Alex-Chouls

36. theBrandonWu

theBrandonWu

[Black Friday Shameless Plug!] ;)

My beginner and 2D platformer PlayMaker classes on One Month Game School are on Black Friday prices today.

Alex-Chouls likes this.
  37. Alex-Chouls

Alex-Chouls

Last edited: Nov 28, 2014
  38. Alex-Chouls

Alex-Chouls

39. Alex-Chouls

Alex-Chouls

40. Alex-Chouls

Alex-Chouls

gautsch and sqallpl like this.
  41. Alex-Chouls

Alex-Chouls

gautsch likes this.
  42. Alex-Chouls

Alex-Chouls

Sync PlayMaker States with Mecanim States:

43. Alex-Chouls

Alex-Chouls

Another video tutorial on the new Unity 4.6 Playmaker integration:

44. Alex-Chouls

Alex-Chouls

45. Alex-Chouls

Alex-Chouls

sqallpl likes this.
  46. Play_Edu

Play_Edu

47. Alex-Chouls

Alex-Chouls

48. Alex-Chouls

Alex-Chouls

49. Kiori

Kiori

Hi there, does playmaker talk straight to a .net implementation, or does it turn the visual scripting into c#, then compile it?
    I know everyone says the performance impact is minimal, but understanding the implementation helps you know how to use it.

Thanks.

50. Alex-Chouls

Alex-Chouls

A PlayMaker FSM runs Actions that are regular C# scripts with OnEnter, OnUpdate, OnExit etc. methods. We ship the source code for all included actions. You can also very easily make your own custom actions.

A PlayMakerFSM component is a regular MonoBehaviour and the FSM is essentially data - action lists, associated parameters etc. It organizes simple modular actions (scripts) to create more complex behaviours.

So basically Unity does all the compiling. Does that make sense?