Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

PlayMaker - Visual Scripting for Unity

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Alex-Chouls, Dec 31, 2010.

1. Alex-Chouls

Alex-Chouls

We're very excited about the new Game Analytics integration with PlayMaker!

There's more info on the GameAnalytics Blog:
    http://blog.gameanalytics.com/blog/gameanalytics-playmaker-integration-got-better.html

Also check out the latest Unity Blog entry, an interview with Tumblehead, an award winning studio that has worked on The Walking Dead and The Wolf Among Us. They talk about their use of PlayMaker and the new Game Analytics integration:
    http://blogs.unity3d.com/2014/05/22...k-at-the-gameanalytics-playmaker-integration/

Game Analytics is a very exiting service for Unity Developers and now super simple to use with PlayMaker!

2. Alex-Chouls

Alex-Chouls

3. Alex-Chouls

Alex-Chouls

Check out the latest tutorial in the Top Down Shooter series:

Last edited: May 27, 2014
  4. dreamerflyer

dreamerflyer

Hi all,How can I chang the specify gameobject on fsmstate by code?

currentFSM.FsmVariables.FindFsmGameObject(fsmOldGoName),this not work
    OR Fsm.GetOwnerDefaultTarget() whether can change the specify gameobject or use ower gameobject by code?

Last edited: May 25, 2014
  5. Alex-Chouls

Alex-Chouls

Please post the question on the PlayMaker forums with more info on what you're trying to do and I'm sure we can help you out. If you have code that's not doing what you expect, please post the code and explain what you want it to do and how it fails...

There's also more info on the wiki here:
    https://hutonggames.fogbugz.com/default.asp?W329

6. Alex-Chouls

Alex-Chouls

The Boston Unity Group recently hosted a presentation on using Playmaker to make games without programming.

A video of the meetup is now online thanks to the Robo Mouse Reporter:
    https://plus.google.com/108738674427832385715/posts

[video=youtube_share;1-BdL4pg-Bs]http://youtu.be/1-BdL4pg-Bs

Thanks Jenna, Creath, BUG, and Robo Mouse Reporter!

7. Alex-Chouls

Alex-Chouls

Check out the latest tutorial in the Top Down Shooter series:

Last edited: Jun 3, 2014
  8. Alex-Chouls

Alex-Chouls

Just to let you know, we released a small update to fix some warnings in Unity 4.5.

9. Alex-Chouls

Alex-Chouls

Unity 4.5 defines a new Tooltip attribute that can conflict with Playmaker's Tooltip attribute.

All built in actions use the HutongGames.PlayMaker.Actions namespace, so they find the correct Tooltip attribute.

Third party actions that use their own namespaces will need to point to the correct Tooltip.

For example, you can add this to your using statements:
    using Tooltip = HutongGames.PlayMaker.TooltipAttribute;

10. dreamerflyer

dreamerflyer

http://hutonggames.com/playmakerforum/index.php?topic=167.msg36012#msg36012
    hi ,ALex,this is my post,Hope your reply,thanks

11. Alex-Chouls

Alex-Chouls

12. Alex-Chouls

Alex-Chouls

Check out Funny Snake, made with Playmaker:

Last edited: May 29, 2014
  13. Alex-Chouls

Alex-Chouls

14. Alex-Chouls

Alex-Chouls

15. Alex-Chouls

Alex-Chouls

Variable State: "Indie is the real cutting edge of games"
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2014-06-03-variable-state
    Variable State use Unity and Playmaker :)

16. Alex-Chouls

Alex-Chouls

17. Alex-Chouls

Alex-Chouls

18. Alex-Chouls

Alex-Chouls

I'm pleased to announce that the BlackBerry10 and Windows Phone 8 Addons for Playmaker are now FREE! :)

PixelEnvision and LaneFox like this.
  19. Alex-Chouls

Alex-Chouls

20. Alex-Chouls

Alex-Chouls

Check out this GameSpot E3 coverage of Heavy Bullets (made with playmaker):

21. Alex-Chouls

Alex-Chouls

Sneak peak at a couple of new features in 1.8.0 (coming soon):

Quickly add new events without leaving the Action Editor:

NewEvent.gif

Quickly add new variables without leaving the Action Editor:

NewVariable.gif

Let Playmaker figure out the correct variable type for you! :)

John-G likes this.
  22. TechnicalArtist

TechnicalArtist

use full update!!

23. vidi

vidi

that's so great!:cool:

24. SteveB

SteveB

Yea that's top notch Alex, yay!

25. Alex-Chouls

Alex-Chouls

Even quicker, ctrl-click to create a new variable pre-filled with the action parameter name :)

CtrlNewVariable.gif

26. Alex-Chouls

Alex-Chouls

Blizzard used Playmaker in Hearthstone, check out the case story here:

http://unity3d.com/showcase/case-stories/hearthstone

27. Alex-Chouls

Alex-Chouls

28. Kinos141

Kinos141

Never regretted getting playmaker once.

I want to create some AI on it, but I have found little documentation on it. Does Hutong have any sources that can help me?

Last edited: Jun 25, 2014
  29. Alex-Chouls

Alex-Chouls

AI tends to be pretty specific to the game. E.g., the new top down shooter tutorial series shows the AI for a turret:

Here are some other user made AI tutorials:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFj7LY-xwSk

There are also a lot of useful high level AI tutorials on the web. Some of them have lots of code examples but the visual aids explain basically what they're trying to accomplish and its pretty simple to mirror the ideas in Playmaker. Here are some examples:

http://aigamedev.com/open/review/fear-ai/
    http://alumni.media.mit.edu/~jorkin/gdc2006_orkin_jeff_fear.pdf
    http://aigamedev.com/open/articles/bt-overview/
    http://ai-depot.com/FiniteStateMachines/FSM.html
    http://gamedevelopment.tutsplus.com...ines-theory-and-implementation--gamedev-11867

I would just jump in then ask specific questions on the forums as you hit roadblocks! :)

30. Kinos141

Kinos141

Thank you sir!!

31. Alex-Chouls

Alex-Chouls

32. Alex-Chouls

Alex-Chouls

33. pixelquaternion

pixelquaternion

Hi there,

Just bought 2 licenses tonight, thank for the fantastic deal but i have no confirmation billing info, it just said go to download manager and i saw playmaker and open in unity but i don't have unity latest version install yet.

So will it be OK if i install unity later on this week i mean will my 2 licenses still be there since i didn't get any form of receipt or purchase validation except for the message that said transaction successful?

34. Alex-Chouls

Alex-Chouls

Hi, thanks for your purchase!

The Asset Store will keep track of your purchases and you can use them any time, just sign in and download your assets. You should have also received a confirmation email from the Asset Store... maybe check your spam folder?

35. pixelquaternion

pixelquaternion

Hi Alex,

OK thank for the info since i am new around here and i was not sure about how transactions were handle.

Just another question regarding the second license for my partner how can i transfer the second license to him since i bought both from my own account?

Thank again for this fantastic deal.

Regards

36. Alex-Chouls

Alex-Chouls

I checked with the Asset Store and unfortunately there's no way to transfer licenses yet. It sounds like they will add this feature in the future...

Apparently companies generally setup a shared Unity account for multiple license purchases.
    In your case, you can share the unitypackage manually or login to your account on your partner's machine.

Also, if you contact info at hutonggames.com with your invoice we can give you download links from our store - that way you would each have your own download links, be able to get updates etc.

37. pixelquaternion

pixelquaternion

Hi Alex,

Thank we will do so in the coming week.

Regards

38. Kinos141

Kinos141

Hi, Hutong Games

I just got accepted to be a psm developer via Unity for PSM. My trouble is that Vita PSM doesn't play nicely with PlayMaker. I found that the solution is to add UNITY_PSM to #if - #endif string of the files. However, that's a daunting task for me, since I didn't write the system or will have to rewrite the fix for every game I use it on.

I ask can you incorporate that in a future update so I can continue using PlayMaker freely?

Thank you.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2014
  39. Alex-Chouls

Alex-Chouls

Hi, yeah it will be in the next update.

In the meantime I'll release a patch on the forums for the effected files... so you can just import a unitypackage instead of hand editing files...

40. Kinos141

Kinos141

Thanks. Can you leave a link to it?

41. Alex-Chouls

Alex-Chouls

42. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

I bought your plugin a year ago and just started coding with it. I really like it.
    The one thing I do not understand though is why can't we modify an FSM at run time?
    We can change it but it reverts back to pre-play.
    It would be highly beneficial because change-play-stop-change is a cumbersome process, especially on scenes with heavy geometry and navmesh, Unity takes a long time to spool up.
    A feature request for your consideration.

43. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

Oh and another thing I notice: The random vector3 action needs a vector3 to store to, but if your FSM has no variable, the menu selector doesn't offer to "add variable" which is, I think, a missed opportunity to streamline the workflow.

44. Alex-Chouls

Alex-Chouls

Funny you should mention "Add Variable"... this will be in the next update :)
    NewVariable.gif
    Or use Ctrl-Click to add and auto-name a new variable:
    CtrlNewVariable.gif

About editing at runtime, normally Unity reverts scene edits made at runtime, but we are considering ways to save runtime edits made in the Playmaker editor...

You could use Templates to save runtime edits. Set the PlayMakerFSM to use a Template, edit the runtime FSM, then Save Template to overwrite the stored Template. Templates are project assets so they have some restrictions (e.g., they can't store references to scene objects, you have to find those at runtime). This is not a common use case for Templates so if you run into any issues please start a thread on the Playmaker forums...

45. Alexarah

Alexarah

Hey Chouls I was wondering how to manually implement Playmaker support into other products on the Asset Store such as game toolkits with custom actions. I would like to know how this is done for it could help me use it along side of the game toolkit called Universal Fighting Engine (UFE). If UFE doesn't ring a bell it can be found by simply searching the forum by typing UFE in the search box. The person who managed to make UFE is MisterMind (I very cool guy by the way). Also I see your forum name is Alex and my real name is also Alex!

46. Alex-Chouls

Alex-Chouls

Hi Alex! Sorry, somehow I missed your post...

UFE looks very cool! Did you find help on the Playmaker Forums? Jean Fabre writes a lot of custom actions for Playmaker and is managing the Playmaker Ecosystem browser for distribution.

The API reference is here:
    https://hutonggames.fogbugz.com/default.asp?W127

Playmaker ships with the source code for all Actions so you can see how the official actions work, and base your own actions off of those... any actions you write are automatically found by the Playmaker Editor...

Anyway, please start a thread on the Playmaker Forums. I'm sure a lot of people would be excited to help with UFE support in Playmaker :)

47. Alexarah

Alexarah

Nice API reference thanks Alex. Also I just received an email response from MisterMind (the creator of UFE) that he would thankful for help on the Playmaker support since it is on his to do list! He also stated he would be happy to promote you and the Playmaker community for helping to extend compatibility in UFE! Awesome isn't it?! By the way Alex I've opened an account at the Playmaker forums and posted the UFE custom actions request in the Actions Request section. Haven't got any replies yet but I do look forward to them!

48. Alexarah

Alexarah

Hey there Alex I have good news that I'm also informing MisterMind about it and the news is that Jean has just added UFE support Playmaker this morning as a response on the Playmaker forums for my UFE Custom Action Request! I voted and someone else has also voted! Jean also linked voters to MisterMind's website for them to see UFE! Hopefully we can all make this happen as it will open up many opportunities and possibilities!

49. Bradamante

Bradamante

Hi,

I noticed a strange behavior using Playmaker, maybe it's a bug. Throw a GameObject in the scene. Add a script where the class inherits from PlayMakerFSM. The PlayMaker logo appears next to the object in the Hierarchy.

Open: PlayMaker -> PlayMaker Editor. The playMaker editor window will lock up, cant be closed anymore. Unity3D as a whole remains usable. The Console is spammed full of errors referencing FSMEditorWindow, line 89 ( fsmEditor.OnEnable(); ).

As soon as you remove the inheritance and just add a PlayMakerFSM to your GameObject, the PlayMaker Editor behaves normally. Is this a known problem?

50. Ben-BearFish

Ben-BearFish