Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Player weapons should only hurt OTHER players. How?

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by jerotas, Feb 24, 2015.

1. jerotas

jerotas

It seems like it should be easy, but I've tried a bunch of things and I can't figure out a way to make it work. Currently, we Instantiate all player weapons on the same client as the attacking player (not always on the server). We need each player's melee attack (I spawn a sphere) to not hurt the player who did the melee, but it should hurt any other players that touch it via normal trigger enter stuff. This should work with 2, 3 or 4 players.

How do we go about making this happen?

Currently we use Bolt (don't think that necessarily matters), but getting answers on their forum isn't the speediest thing all the time, so I'm asking here.

2. adi7b9

adi7b9

why not always on the server? I think is easier to follow and to write a script for the "spawning sphere".

3. jerotas

jerotas

If that makes the scenario easier, then sure...

4. BFGames

BFGames

Not 100% sure how it works in Bolt.

But normally your weapon is owned by some player, and often the weapon or the owner of the weapon got a networkID attached of some kind. You can make a check and see if the trigger colliders owner networkID == the player owners networkID and then ignore it.

If you got an authoritative setup this check should be handled on the server and not the clients in order to prevent cheating.

5. Tiny-Tree

Tiny-Tree

Not sure on bolt but its more authoritative oriented, but on photon, without an authoritative setup i would just deactivate the damage trigger on all session that are not server

like that:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. public void AttackEvent(bool check_doDamage)
    2. if(DoTheLogic)//whatever server or client you decide
    3. {
    4.   if(check_doDamage)
    5.     DoDamage()
    6. }
    7. //everyone should run here
    8. if(check_doDamage)
    9. PlayDamageSound()
    10. else
    11. PlayOtherSound()
    12. PlayAttackAnimation()
    you can also use that: http://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/Physics.IgnoreCollision.html

Last edited: Feb 24, 2015
  6. jerotas

jerotas

Ok thanks for the ideas guys!