Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Platformer PRO - Ledge Climbing, 360 Loops, Ropes, and Much More ...

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by JohnnyA, Aug 27, 2015.

1. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

2D ToolKit Animation Bridges are now available

Notes:

Animation names must match states.

For transitions names should be PREVIOUSSTATE_TO_STATE, for example FALL_TO_IDLE.

For transitions they will play until complete or until a higher priority animation comes along. You need to use two frame animations at minimum for transitions or else they will be played for one unity frame only. You can of course just add two frames of the same sprite.

- John A

PS These will be part of the kit in v1.0.5 but if you want early access send a support ticket.

AMO_Noot likes this.
  2. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

"Unity Asset Store package 'Platformer PRO - 1.0.5' has been accepted"
    Release Notes:

* Added Animation Bridges for 2D ToolKit.

* Added new FX for flashing a sprite (e.g. for flashing when invulnerable).

* Added option to make PowerUp reset when character is damaged.

* Added a character knock back damage movement.

* Added direct control of lives, max lives, max health, and max item count. These can now be attached to events.

* Added multi-projectile attack to have an attack which sprays out lots of bullets with various options for how they behave.

* Added set velocity/AddVelocity as event responses. Useful for things like knock back.

* Added digital with slide which has digital movement, but also allows character to be pushed around if no input is being provided and can come to a sliding halt instead of an instant one.

* Fixed spawn on head-but (it worked when adding items but not if a spawn prefab was set).

AMO_Noot likes this.
  3. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

And straight after the update I get a bug and features requests which are kinda neat but easy to fix.

v1.0.6 now allows you to specify damage reduction/immunity based on damage type (for example 50% resistance to FIRE damage).
    DamageImmunity.png

The bug fix was to allow attacks which share the same hit box to have different damage types and amounts.

Both the above are available via support request until v1.0.6 is submitted and approved.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2015
    AMO_Noot likes this.
  4. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Grappling hook is getting close, meet Bionic Cop:

COMMANDER-Vector.jpg

ericbdg, BTStone and abatcat like this.
  5. NeatWolf

NeatWolf

Hi there,
    I'm really interested in your asset.
    I just have 3 questions, could you please give me a few answers? :)

1)It is not stated in the asset store - what language is it written in? Please tell me it is C#! :p

2)Is the 360 loop movement scripted or does the system support round shapes? Can a full-featured Sonic Clone be written with it? How is the 360 loop handled? Multiple front/back layers?

3)Is walljumping/wallsliding included? Climbing a web-like area? What about Crouch-sliding?

Thanks for your time :)

6. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Hi @NeatWolf ,

- Yes its in C#

- 360 loops will support other curved shapes, there's half pipes in the samples. I'm sure there are some limitations though.
    - basically if you hit a threshold angle at a threshold speed it keeps you running at the same speed until you hit another threshold angle.
    - Yes it has different zLayers and a centre piece which is used to switch layers. Any platform can have a depth (although most platforms don't meaning the character can stand on them regardless of its zLayer).
    - A full-featured sonic clone would undoubtedly require additional code, but the system is built to be easily extensible.

- Yes, three different types of wall jump/slide are built in with various options (
    )
    - The current climbing has ropes, and ladders, no web like climbing (its a simple addition, will add it shortly :) ).
    - Yes it has crouch sliding.

7. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

@NeatWolf

Added a climbing movement that supports multi-directional movement. Here's a quick video:

- - - -

In other news, I've got a Spine Animation Bridge available now, not release quality but quite usable.

I still prefer to work with spine via mecanim, but if you have all your mixes defined in spine its may be easier to use the Spine Animation Bridge. Send a support ticket to grab a copy.

- John A

8. NeatWolf

NeatWolf

Woa, super fast!

Thanks, I'm sold! :)

9. Atmey

Atmey

Hey Johnny,

I liked your work and I want to upgrade, but the level11 discount doesn't work on the upgrade option (buy for 52.5 and upgrade for 60, I can only upgrade) can you look into that? thanks.

Few more questions about this:
    - how does it work with mecanim, I remember the older version having some issues.
    - what types of enemy AI are included? and maybe a brief on how I can extend/refine them.

10. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

@Atmey

Unfortunately I have no control over how the Level 11 + Upgrade discount works (I didn't even set the discount level).

Mecanim
    - All samples are mecanim both 2D and 3D (there is a legacy animator and a 2DTK animation bridge included too, but mecanim is default).
    - You can do root transformation driven movement and there are some movements classes to help with this but will probably require a bit of back and forth with me as this does require a bit of knowledge about how the collisions work.

Enemies

The Enemy system has a pluggable AI system which you can use to make decisions and then pick what movements to do in response to them. This can allow you to build a library of complex enemy movements and combine them in different ways. Or you can skip this and just write movement code. See: https://jnamobile.zendesk.com/hc/en-gb/articles/207560608-Enemy-Design

Some of the building blocks out of the box:
    - Patrol
    - Jump on head
    - Hide on damaged
    - See an shoot
    - See and charge
    - Melee attack when in range
    - Deploy weapons when in range
    Then you can combine these things together using the AI system for example: Patrol + Jump on Head + Hide when damaged = Mario Turtle​

Nothing too complex, but the base is there and you can extend and combine as desired.

- John A

11. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Bit of a quite weekend for me as I was away, but a bunch of new features are coming. Keep the requests rolling in too. I need to know what you want!

12. MarkOakley1975

MarkOakley1975

Hi Johnny,
    Been trying to think of a few new features that might be cool (some of these may already be available and I just haven't seen them).

1) A conveyor belt
    2) Camera zoom depending on player speed
    3) Leaderboard/highscore table
    4) More platform movement options (circular, multiple points, a wave/worm - see Smart 2D Colliders asset video)

13. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

@MarkOakley1975 Thanks for the suggestions.

1. Easy done, that was in 2DPC, I should add it :) Will aim to get that in the next version.
    2. Again easy, I have a version of this floating around it just wasn't particularly clean code. Maybe next version maybe the one after.
    3. Probably a lower priority, getting a bit far from the platformer stuff.
    4. Yeah this is a good idea too, particularly as some of these have their own challenges with movement. v1.1.0?

14. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

15. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Some of things coming in the next revision:
    - - - -

v1.0.6

* Added a double tap run movement.

* Added hang from ceiling movement and updated character parenting to better support parenting from head colliders.

* Improved 2DTK Animator.

* Added option to filter sound effects in the sound effect bridge by previous state.

* Added an alternative version of AirMovement/Physics/With Interia.

* Added movement for climbing horizontally/diagonally on fences and walls.

* Added Damage Immunity option to Character Health so you can specify differing damage reductions/immunities based on damage type.

* Added a Climb Movement that can climb in any direction (i.e. for walls, chain link fences, etc).

* Renamed 'Switch Colliders' to 'Flip Raycasts' to clarify what it does.

* Fixed a bug in Combo Attack Inspector which printed errors to the console.

* Fixed a small ladder movement bug.

* Worked around Unity bugs to make Character Debuggers and Inspectors more reliable.

* Update so that different attacks using the same hit box can still have different damage amounts and damage types.

16. MarkOakley1975

MarkOakley1975

Sounding great!

17. Nicu37

Nicu37

I bought Platformer Pro about two weeks ago. I couldn't be happier! Such an awesome package and it looks like you keep adding more frequently. It's just what I needed to really get my project moving. Keep up the great work!

18. Nicu37

Nicu37

Do you have or would you think about adding a random item drop to killed enemies

19. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

@Nicu37 Sure, I'll create a random item generator which can be plugged in to the event system (so you can connect it to any event you want).

Not quite sure when I will get time as I still have a few things from the list above to do. If you don't see anything in 3-4 days send me a support ticket so I don't forget.

- John A

superwendel and outtoplay like this.
  20. outtoplay

outtoplay

Johnny,
    You're obviously super busy, but a while back we discussed sort of a 'ski' like movement. I madea simple drawing of a block character sliding over hills, maybe taking air on jumps sort of like Tiny Wings. Does that ring a bell? You seemed to like the idea, was wondering if that is something that might get done at some point.

Best,
    Brendan G. :)

21. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

@outtoplay Yeah rings a bell, I did mess with it a bit on one of my train rides to work. I did it as a variation of the standard physics but wasn't that happy with it. Its slipped off the radar since.

It might get done at some point, but the list of things that fit that category is rather long.

If you really want it you can commission it (rates are $60 USD per hour, but only $30 USD if you don't mind the code going back to other Platformer PRO users).

Otherwise just keep mentioning it, or send a support ticket. I will get to it eventually. Its a fun thing to add, but currently priority is things that apply to lots of people.
    - - -

In other news v1.0.6 submitted.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2015
  22. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Tagged properties allow you to affect the value of one or more properties as a group. For example you can:

- boost the Characters damage by 10% when they get an upgrade and have it apply to all attack movements with a single event
    - decrease or increase characters agility (speed/response time) across all actions
    - many more things

(video uploading)​

23. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Merry Christmas all. Just letting you know that I'm on Holiday for a few more days but will be back on the 1st.

I'll also be spending the first two weeks back working heavily on Platformer PRO with some juicy new updates planned.

Stay tuned.

- John A

PS v1.0.6 has been approved!

24. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Some things coming in v1.1.0:

- Boss like enemies with a sequence of moves and different phases plus a visual editor.
    - Grappling hook.
    - A sample or two showing how to do 2 player.

superwendel and abatcat like this.
  25. MBoffin

MBoffin

Heya. Awesome updates lately. Super awesome asset. :D

Two quick things... 1) When you try to import 1.0.6, it thinks you're importing a completed project because the ProjectSettings folder is included in the asset (with a big, scary warning about it overwriting your current project settings), and 2) there are 26 warnings that go off when importing using 5.3.0f4. The warnings mostly seem to be due to level loading changes in 5.3, but there are some others scattered in there too.

Anyway, thanks again for all the updates! Enjoy your holiday! :D

26. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Howdy @MBoffin,

because the asset requires project settings for the samples to work it is exported as a complete project. When you do an update you have to manually deselect the project settings you don't want to import. I have to give priority to the samples working out-of-the-box else I'll get a bunch of negative reviews saying stuff doesn't work :)

5.3 I'll need to look at. I haven't migrated to that but will do so when I get back from my break. I'll aim for 1.1. to be submitted with 5.3.

- John A

PS Here's a little snapshot of the sequence driven enemy inspector:

Screen Shot 2015-12-29 at 5.29.45 pm.png

MBoffin likes this.
  27. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Also a migration guide for the web site sounds like a good idea.

EDIT: Also some basic path finding and waypoint movements will drop along with the enemy updates.

EDIT: I should get back to my holiday :)

jasonMcintosh and MBoffin like this.
  28. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Video is raw and slow paced, but it covers some good stuff (note there are a few bigs its still WIP at the moment):

(Video uploading, give it some time)​

29. superwendel

superwendel

The sequence driven enemy movement looks fantastic. I love the ability to use dialog events as sequences as well. And with waypoints!

I'm really excited for this release.

Looks like you got a bug there ;)

30. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

@StevenWendel :p

Someone wanted attack cool down ... here we go ...

31. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Another quick look, save and load movement settings so you can reuse or revert to them at a later time:

32. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

And grapple almost done:

biscito and abatcat like this.
  33. sefou

sefou

Yep. Awsome. ;)

34. abatcat

abatcat

Will it be possible to adjust the speed of the grappling hook?
    It looks kinda slowish in the preview(I would prefer it to be a bit more violent personally)

35. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

The code is well segregated so you can easily change swing behaviour without affecting anything else... there's also a lot of settings:

Screen Shot 2016-01-07 at 7.08.40 am.png

Screen Shot 2016-01-07 at 7.09.04 am.png

abatcat likes this.
  36. abatcat

abatcat

It would be awesome if you could grab enemies with the grappling hook sort of like how Scorpion does it in Mortal Kombat (just an idea )

37. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

It would... don't think it will make it for v1.1.0 though.

38. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Just note that v1.1.0 will be updated for Unity 5.3, but v1.0.6 has not been. From what I understand it still works, just has some warning messages.

39. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Quick Look at a convenience feature:

40. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Another little feature thats been requested:

superwendel likes this.
  41. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Got a few days off work so next weekend 1.1 should be submitted. Get excited! :)

42. superwendel

superwendel

John, I can't get excited as I already am excited.

You've put a ton of great stuff in 1.1. Looking forward to it.

43. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Hah, yes, yes I have ;)

44. rfuhrer

rfuhrer

Cool can't wait. Especially the new enemie movemt looks like a hit!:)

45. AMO_Noot

AMO_Noot

Eagerly awaiting! :D

46. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Promo video for 1.1:

(Theres a heap of things not covered particularly on the editor side, but it covers most of the cool things)

47. AMO_Noot

AMO_Noot

Looking great! Been wanting that grappling hook for quite some time. :D

48. rfuhrer

rfuhrer

Yeah! Looks very good. The new boss movement will come in very, very handy!:)

49. BTStone

BTStone

Ah, Grenades, this is what I need! :D

50. rfuhrer

rfuhrer

What are the new elements of the combo system?