Search Unity

Platformer PRO - Ledge Climbing, 360 Loops, Ropes, and Much More ...

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by JohnnyA, Aug 27, 2015.

1. AMO_Noot

AMO_Noot

Thanks! I'll experiment and see if I can't create my own 2DTK animation bridge in the meantime.

2. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Okay, ping me if you get stuck.

3. AMO_Noot

AMO_Noot

@JohnnyA I'll have to wait for your take on it, I think. I thought it might just be replacing a few lines, but I think it's a bit more complex. At least, too complex for my woefully inadequate scripting skills. :(

4. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

No problems.

In other news I've added wind/velocity effects.

AMO_Noot likes this.
  5. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

v1.0.4 - wind affector

6. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Will probably push v1.0.4 out soon as a couple of fixes are quite important for some. Then on to v1.0.5.

A rough road map (non-binding, just my thoughts at the moment :) ):

v1.0.5 (Mid November)

Spine Animator

2DTK Animator

Incremental updates (a few more platforms, enemies, etc)

v1.1.0 (Early Jan)

Grappling Hook

2-Player Sample (multiplayer is already supported, but having a fully worked sample makes it much easier to understand)

Endless runner sample including level generation

PlayMaker Integration (initially planned for enemies, but will see what other options can be done here too)

Last edited: Oct 6, 2015
  7. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Release notes for v1.0.4 (I may squeeze in crouch jumping too):

* Added auto-fire.

* Added sample of a wind affector which can blow your character around.

* Added ability for snail enemy in AlienSample to collect coins and damage other enemies when in shell mode (like a turtle in mario).

* Changed EventResponseType.PLAY_ANIMATION to EventResponseType.SPECIAL_MOVE_ANIMATION, PLAY_ANIMATION now plays an Animation or a specific state in an Animator.

* Made DelayedJump more robust so it can be added in front of more jump movements.

* Crouch with Crawl can now use down OR an action button.

8. Mr-Stein

Mr-Stein

In the v1.0.5 you mean Spine from Esoteric Software?

9. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

10. AMO_Noot

AMO_Noot

Looking good, Johnny. Also nice on the grappling hook! I'd been meaning to request that as well, glad it was already on your list.

11. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Added crouch jump this morning. I think we have enough for v1.0.4.

abatcat, AMO_Noot and superwendel like this.
  12. superwendel

superwendel

Hey John, what time (and timezone) does the submission for the video competition close on the 10th?

13. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Lets say midnight GMT given I forgot to specify.

- John A

14. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Tick, tock...

15. superwendel

superwendel

Just emailed my submission.

Are we allowed to post here for the contest? I'd love to see what everyone else is doing with Platformer Pro.

16. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Of course.

2 hours to close, not a lot of entries, anyone seeing this might want to hurry :)

17. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

v1.0.4 Submitted, full release notes:

* Added crouch jump. Demonstrated in HeroSample variation.

* Added auto-fire.

* Added sample of a wind affector which can blow your character around.

* Added ability for snail enemy in AlienSample to collect coins and damage other enemies when in shell mode (like a turtle in mario).

* Added ability for 2DWithModifiers bridge to apply facing LEFT and facing RIGHT variations to animations.

* Changed EventResponseType.PLAY_ANIMATION to EventResponseType.SPECIAL_MOVE_ANIMATION, PLAY_ANIMATION now plays an Animation or a sepecific state in an Animator.

* Made DelayedJump more robust so it can be added in front of more jump movements.

* Crouch with Crawl can now use down OR an action button.

* Updated animation states for Physics with Run to include SLIDE states.

AMO_Noot likes this.
  18. AMO_Noot

AMO_Noot

I'd have added Dead Gear, but it's still using 2DPC at the moment. 1.0.4 is looking good.

19. superwendel

superwendel

Personally, I'm glad you didn't. Dead Gear is looking really good these days and would have been really hard to beat. :)
    It's been awhile since I've looked at your site for it too. It's looking really nice, great job with the redesign.

20. superwendel

superwendel

Here is my entry that I submitted to John.

My game is called Time Traveling Raptors. I still haven't put in raptors yet (best for last)

1.0.4 is loooking great, can't wait to add it to my project.

meapps likes this.
  21. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Thanks for sharing :)

Winners announced in two days.

Also competition is open again for November ....

Platformer PRO - Video competition - Win $100 USD

Submit a short video (10-30 seconds) of your game, tech demo, or experiment done with Platformer PRO and you go in the running to win $100.

By submitting you agree that JNA Mobile can use your video, edited or unedited, for promotional purposes. Your game and company/developer name will be included in any material.

Winner will be determined by JNA Mobile based on visual quality, relevance, and other factors. Decision is final.

Payment will be made via PayPal only.

Competition closes 10th of November. Results to be announced 15th of November.

- - - -

To Submit send an email to support including the following:

Game Name:
    Company or Developer Name:
    URL(optional):
    Video Download Link:

- - - -

Note previous winners cannot submit, but any one else can.

22. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

v1.0.4 available now.

superwendel and AMO_Noot like this.
  23. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Hi all,

winner of October video competition is:

Game Name: Priceless: Everlasting Secrets of World
    Company or Developer Name: InfiniteCraving

Videos:

superwendel and AMO_Noot like this.
  24. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Couple of new feature requests coming in v1.0.5:

25. AMO_Noot

AMO_Noot

Looking good! I'm guessing damage knockback will work in a somewhat similar way?

26. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Sort of but this does not support the direction of the attack at the moment. Should be pretty trivial to add though.

27. Keitaro3660

Keitaro3660

vote for Grab and Throw object, and even better if we can do it for the enemy too :D
    a lot of platformer puzzle can be done with this Grab and Throw style, so it'll be super usefull!

anyone also interested?

28. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

29. superwendel

superwendel

30. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

There is ... join us ... *crazy stare* ... ;)

31. Keitaro3660

Keitaro3660

32. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Bit quite lately, but I've got a big week of updates coming, so stay tuned for news on v1.0.5.

- John A

jasonMcintosh and AMO_Noot like this.
  33. AMO_Noot

AMO_Noot

Excited for that 2DTK animator! (Amongst the other cool stuff!)

34. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

@Kirbychwan I should probably stop putting that one off, it really is a simple one... send me a ticket so I don't forget.

AMO_Noot likes this.
  35. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Reminder: Platformer PRO - Video competition - Win $100 USD

Submit a short video (10-30 seconds) of your game, tech demo, or experiment done with Platformer PRO and you go in the running to win $100.

By submitting you agree that JNA Mobile can use your video, edited or unedited, for promotional purposes. Your game and company/developer name will be included in any material.

Winner will be determined by JNA Mobile based on visual quality, relevance, and other factors. Decision is final.

Payment will be made via PayPal only.

Competition closes 10th of November. Results to be announced 15th of November.

- - - -

To Submit send an email to support including the following:

Game Name:
    Company or Developer Name:
    URL(optional):
    Video Download Link:

36. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

so v1.0.5 is slowly ticking away, found (well with the help of customers) a couple of bugs in the melee attack enemy movement, and have a new dash movement to add. Still not quite sure what else will make it in to v1.0.5 although from above it looks like 2DTK animator is a certainty :)

AMO_Noot likes this.
  37. rfuhrer

rfuhrer

hi Johnny,
    for me the Spine Animator would be awesome! I could bake all the animation and get it running with digital movment, but what I miss is the fine transitions between the different animation that unity supports if you script the controller yourself. If I understand this right, this would then be supported. So I can use my Spine Skeleton with Platformer PRO. That would be perfect!

38. AMO_Noot

AMO_Noot

@JohnnyA Perfect, can't wait to finally integrate it to replace 2DPC. Will be a doozy of a task converting everything in DG to Physics2D but ultimately worth it, I think. :D

39. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Spine for Unity can generate mecanim compatible animations and I've been using Mecanim with spine with good success. Would suggest you give that a go.

40. Dan2013

Dan2013

@JohnnyA

Does this asset is mainly for 2D game or 2.5D game?
    By "2.5D", I mean the game at 00:36 in your demo video

I think 2D sprite-based game are quite different to 2.5D game that is actually a 3D game.

41. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

@Dan2013
    "I think 2D sprite-based game are quite different to 2.5D game that is actually a 3D game."

In most cases 2.5D games use 2D physics and thus the only difference is one of rendering/animation. Platformer PRO uses 2D colliders but can be rendered however you want. It includes two 2.5D samples, one with some mecanim driven animations. About a quarter of users are doing 2.5D games.

If there is some vital reason that your 2.5D game needs 3D physics then Platformer PRO will not be suitable. But having worked on or supported many 2.5D games I can confidently say this is fairly uncommon.

42. ababab5

ababab5

Hi,

How works the respawn point ?

If the player take some items (like keys...), the respawn point save the items the player already got ?

Thanks a lot.

Best regards,

AB

43. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Hi AB,

the respawn point is not attached to the save system. It simply sets the point that the player will be respawned at if you set the death action in CharacterHealth to DeathAction.RESPAWN (or if you reload a scene).

If you don't reload the scene on death (i.e. you use RESPAWN) then the character will keep all items and the current items would not be respawned. You would just appear in the new spot. If you do reload the scene (DeathAction.RELOAD_SCENE) what happens depends on your save ItemManager persistence settings.

If you want persistent items then set Save on Scene Exit and Save on Death, Load on Start and Load on Character Load to true in your Persistence setting in the ItemManager. This will save the state of collected items.

- John A

PS If you want to send me a ticket and test case to the support email I can address more specific questions.

44. ababab5

ababab5

Hi,

Thanks for the answer.
    I already wrote you to the support email before to write here but I didn't receive any answer ... So I wrote it.

I did it again right now because I have a more specific answer.

Thanks

45. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Hrm didn't see your first request, but anyway you have replies now :)

To all, first in a series of 'rough-n-ready' live stream tutorials:

AMO_Noot likes this.
  46. MarkOakley1975

MarkOakley1975

Hi there,
    Great looking asset! All set to buy the asset but just wanted to check a couple of things if that's cool.

Does Platformer Pro work with Ferr2d and are there any issues/tricks to get them to play nicely with each other?

Is walking on ceilings as simple as adding the gravity flip to onentertrigger and switching it off ontriggerexit?

Thanks

47. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

I haven't used it with Ferr2D but I know some people who are. As far as I know it works fine but I cant guarantee it.

Flipping gravity is pretty much as you say (we have our own trigger and event system so no need to write code you can just select the option to flip gravity). But do note that not all movements work with flipped gravity. Many of the walking and jumping movements are fine but you can't (for example) do upside down ledge climbs.

48. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Hey all,

been a bit quiet as I've been working on a paid update but to whet your appetite here are some things that are almost ready:

- Grappling Hooks
    - Double Tap for Dash
    - Ceiling Hang
    - Blocking
    - Dive Bomb Attack
    - Dive Roll
    - Charge Jump

Some of these should be out in v1.0.5 (Early to Mid December), and all will be in the release after that (which will be out in Mid Jan and be either version 1.06 or 1.1.0 depending on exactly whats get done).

Regards,
    John A

AMO_Noot and abatcat like this.
  49. MarkOakley1975

MarkOakley1975

Hi Johnny,
    Bought the asset and I've got to say, loving it so far.
    Couple of questions if that's alright?

1) I've got the wall cling working but if I hold jump while I'm clinging to a wall I kind of fly up it to the top. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

2) I'm trying to cling to ceilings in the same way you cling to walls. I was thinking I could just add the gravityflip script to a triggered collider butI can't get it working. Any chance of a tutorial or description how to do it?

Thanks again for the amazing asset!

Mark

50. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

@MarkOakley1975

1) Depending on which wall movement you use there are some settings to control the distance that you move away from wall or the time allowed between jumps. Send me a test case to the support email address if issues persist after changing these settings.

2) I have a ceiling hang movement (currently unreleased but I can send it to you), but this is quite different to gravity flip. For Gravity Flip your character needs a FlippableGravity component not a standard Gravity component. See https://jnamobile.zendesk.com/hc/en-gb/articles/204201934-Gravity for a little info.
    (Or again send me a test case if stuck)