Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Planetbase on Steam Greenlight

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by tucho, Jul 14, 2015.

1. tucho

tucho

Hi there, our Unity game Planetbase is on Steam Greenlight. The game is being made by just 5 people; I'm the responsible of all the visuals (except for the UI), from the art direction to the asset creation.

I hope you like it, any vote or help to spread the project is more than welcome :)

I paste below the content of our Steam Greenlight page. Later on I'll post more stuff on this same thread, as soon as I have a bit of time to set up some pictures of the models, etc.

In the meantime you can find more pictures from this project on our website

Planetbase is a strategy game where you guide a group of space settlers trying to establish an outpost in a remote planet.

In the game you play the role of the base architect and manager, telling your colonists where to build the structures they will need to survive. You will have to ensure that they have an constant supply of oxygen, food and water to stay alive.

You will get them to collect energy, extract water, mine metal, grow food, manufacture bots, and build a fully self-sufficient base.
    Even if the game is not intended to be a simulator, all the mechanics are plausible, and based on what the expected challenges of establishing a colony in an new planet would be.

• Three different planets with different conditions and increasing difficulty.

• Harness solar and wind energy (if available) in order to power the base's structures.
    • Grow hydroponic Vegetables and synthesize Vitromeat to feed your population.
    • Mine and produce raw resources, process them, manufacture goods, and establish a production chain.
    • Carefully manage the colonist immigration flow to ensure you have the people with the right skills.

• Survive disasters like meteors, sandstorms or solar flares and defend your base from intruders.
    • Mechanize your base by manufacturing your own bots that will help with the more arduous tasks.

• Grow your colony from a few initial pioneers to a vibrant planetbase with hundreds of colonists.

Madruga Works is a studio founded by Martiño Figueroa and Tucho Fernandez, two ex-EA and ex-Ubisoft veterans of the games industry, you can find more info about us at our website

The expected release date for the game is September 2015.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2015
  2. Hasanaj

Hasanaj

:) VERY AWESOME

3. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

looks pretty cool! well done.

4. Immi

Immi

Very awesome....

5. Rinoa_Heartilly

Rinoa_Heartilly

congratulations the game looks great and neat

6. Testfor

Testfor

+1 Love it :D

PD:Me encanta buen trabajo! ¿De dónde sois ?

7. tucho

tucho

Thank you very much for your kind comments guys!!! I'm glad you like our project :D

@Testfor: Martiño y yo (los dos principales devs detrás del proyecto, Programador y grafista respectivamente) somos gallegos, luego tenemos también en el equipo a una italiana encargada de la UI, un ucraniano encargado de la música/sonido y un sueco encargado de la animación.

If anyone interested, Testfor asked me where is our team from and I replied that Martiño and me (the 2 main devs behind this project, programmer and artist respectively) are Galicians, but our team is also composed by an Italian as UI artist, an Ukrainian as composer/sound designer and a Swedish as animator.

8. tucho

tucho

Hi again, here are some pictures of the models.

One of the character models: the astronaut

A W.I.P picture of the biodome components, the models which I'm working on right now.

And one of the ships; this is the smallest one which transports new colonists and visitors to the colony

Billy4184, Mister-D and 600 like this.
  9. TwiiK

TwiiK

Wow, the game looks cool and the art is seriously impressive. I yes-ed it. The second game I've yes-ed.

I'm not too sure about this. :p If you had to categorize the game what would you say? Sim City or Star Craft?

I remember playing a really cool space colony game a long, long time ago. I think it even was a MMO. I've never been able to remember the name of it since, sadly. In that game you colonized asteroids in space shaped like floating islands. And the main focus of the game was just growing you colony, mining etc.

I'll keep an eye on this. No Twitter though? Not sure I'll remember then. :)

10. tucho

tucho

Thank you for your comments TwiiK :)
    It is much more like Sim City than Star Craft, but it is more similar to Dungeon's Keeper, Theme Hospital, Banished, etc, than Sim City
    Keep reading, I paste below the Twitter and some other links where you can follow the project.

Planetbase has been greenlit in just one week :D

Thank you everyone for your support!!! We are now working flat out to finish the game and release it as soon as possible.

If you want to get updates on the progress you can follow us on Twitter or Facebook or on the new forum in our website.

Sate-music and TwiiK like this.
  11. tucho

tucho

We will be showing a live demo of the game at the Media Indie Exchange at the SIGGRAPH next week in LA, come around and have a look if you are there!

12. 128bit

128bit

Wow. Realy like it. Doesnt happen often im realy eager to play an game after just one teaser trailer. But yeah, that one of the few that made feel like i wanna play it right now. Well done!

13. Ramsdal

Ramsdal

Looks awesome! Great job!

14. tucho

tucho

Thank you very much guys, your comments encourage us to give our better with this game :)

I've just finished all the art for the character variations for the game: we have various ethnic and hairstyle versions of every character, which will make colonists more unique and relatable.

This is the last major piece of art left in the game, we are now in the process of finishing some minor things and we will be launching a closed beta very soon.

Anyway I'll post here some more pictures of the existing art, as soon as I have some time to prepare the images.

15. tucho

tucho

We are finally ready to start the closed beta for Planetbase later this week. The plan is to stay in beta for about a month and then launch the game (so the estimated launch date is now mid October).

We will be giving away keys for the first 100 mails received, We expect some feedback and bug report if it is the case, and you will receive a copy of the final game when released.

If you are interested in participating please mail us to beta@madrugaworks.com, please include your system specs and also specify if you are fluent in any of: English, Spanish, French or German.

16. 128bit

128bit

Are there minimum specs for the beta?

17. tucho

tucho

• Processor: 2 GHz Dual Core processor
    • Memory: 2 GB RAM
    • Graphics: 512 MB video card (Shader Model 3.0+)
    • DirectX: Version 9.0c
    • Hard Drive: 600 MB available space

18. tucho

tucho

Thank you for so many mails!!! , We've now given out all of the 100 keys for the beta of Planetbase. We might do another round in a couple of weeks.

19. tucho

tucho

We've published the final trailer of Planetbase

Steam page for this game is also done, you can follow the game there; the countdown for the release (Oct 16th) has started :)

Last edited: Sep 23, 2015
    128bit likes this.
  20. tucho

tucho

A video showing food production mechanics in the game

21. TwiiK

TwiiK

I know this game isn't released yet, but I would put some polish on the movement code. :p It would make your trailers and videos look a lot better as well in my opinion.

Currently they just skid about the place and don't even face the direction they're moving. Good example at 0:13 of the video, the girl with the pink hair. Fixing that and reducing their movement speed so their feet are better planted on the ground would make it look a lot more natural in an instance.

Edit: Accidentally hit enter.

22. ind1

ind1

This looks so good, cant wait to pick it up and have a go.

23. tucho

tucho

@TwiiK: I agree with you Twiik, but keep in mind that the close up cameras are just an 'extra' in the game the regular point of view is much farther, the game have to manage all the IA and pathfinding of hundreds of colonists, so it can't be as much accurate as we would like
    @ind1: Thank you ind1 :)

24. tucho

tucho

After a year of development, Planetbase, the off-world colony builder, is finally out on Steam!!!

25. tucho

tucho

We've just released a major update of our game Planetbase, including a new planet, new structures, techs disasters and a lot more, adding more hours of gameplay and taking the game to a whole new level.

Here you can see some pictures of the new planet added, it is the class S planet, the most difficult one in the game, it requires 12 milestones to unlock and in it you will have to deal with constant thunderstorms, erratic energy generation and limited space, offering a proper challenge for the more experienced players.

And also a video of this planet:

128bit likes this.
  26. MANStudios

MANStudios

I hadn't seen this game until now, but it looks very interesting! I've added it to my Steam wishlist for when I have the funds to spare.

27. ToshoDaimos

ToshoDaimos

Very cool! Great job! :D

28. SubZeroGaming

SubZeroGaming

Wow. I love it! Very well done. Congrats! Looking forward to picking this up!

@Samuel411