Search Unity

Pipeline / pre to post

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Grim Castle, Jul 28, 2014.

1. Grim Castle

Grim Castle

Hello world!

I am new and very young to this medium of art. I am asking you good people how to begin the game creation process (or if you know of any resources) where I can learn from start to finish from concept to sale.

I am only a noob but have a hunger for knowledge, though I do lack the technical and common knowledge, but I am good at photoshop and getting my feet wet in maya. I aim to learn from 2d and then build up to 3d, or perhaps jump around to both. This is strictly a learning experience but if I do manage to come up with a polished product at the end of this self teaching quest then all the better.

Thank you for your time. and good luck on your ventures too!
    -Simon

2. Sykoo

Sykoo

Some tips:

Start off by learning the basics of coding (choose either C# or Javascript if you'll work on Unity (I work on Javascript just for the record)).

After learning the basics of the UI of Unity and also a little knowledge over coding, come up with a really basic idea. And then try to make that idea happen. Let's say you thought of making a 2D game. Try to make it. Search on Unity's forum and also google over what you want the game to include. Then try to write the codes instead of just copy pasting, as this is the way of learning it. If you make a little mistake somewhere, consider about starting all over again in that specific function/void to save it to your memory.

Don't try to sell your first game. Release it as a demo or some sort of short game to show to your friends and the community of Unity. People appreciate and give feedback to these types of starter-projects.

The differences between Unity's 2D and 3D aint much. Its just that you use layers in 2D and in 3D you just place your 3D prefabs. At the end though, you use scripts.

Also, whenever you get stuck, don't forget to look at Unity's Scripting API!

So I'd strongly suggest you to start off by learning the simple UI of Unity. How it works, what different tabs do, what components do, how to add them, how to handle inspector menu etc. Try every single little detail you find, to learn it. Then on, your fantasy and imagination will help you on creating the games you want to sell in the future :)

If you need any further help, feel free to comment on here and I'll get back to you as quickly as possible!

Good luck,
    Sykoo

3. Grim Castle

Grim Castle

Thank you very much Sykoo for your post, it is very informative. I will put what you have told me to use and begin studying asap. I do realize this wont happen over night so I should get started lol I hope to make you all something fun to play and i'll keep you updated on my progress.

I got interested in GD because I found out about the oculus rift, so I played with it and it blew my mind!!! So ever since I got it I wanted to do my own games for it. something that would give me an adrenaline rush. It means a lot to me to get into this medium with the oculus since the surgery because I can't go anywhere or do anything strenuous, this is an escape to a world of limitless potential and excitement.

...It's freedom.

Thanks again.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2014
  4. Sykoo

Sykoo

No problem at all! I'll be looking forward for your future projects!

Oh, I am sorry about your injury. Glad the surgery went fine. I agree, Oculus Rift is a limitless superior technology.

No problem :)

5. Grim Castle

Grim Castle

Hey everyone!

I started messing around in maya and unity. I made a few things like a forrest and a oculus controller, I made a dark forest and when you walk through it eyes from creatures open and lose as you pass by I was wondering if anyone knew how to make them close? lol I still have yet to figure out how to make them blink randomly as you pass by.