Search Unity

Physics confusion - collisions and triggers

Discussion in '2D' started by ashley, Oct 10, 2015.

1. ashley

ashley

Hi all,

Sorry for this numpty question. I've tried to look around but not getting my head around the whole physics things.

What I want is for my player to be able to bump into and slightly move an enemy (ie just a small push) and if they are seen by the enemy to trigger events. I can get one or the other to work, but not both.

The player has a 2D box collider and a kinematic Rigidbody 2D
    The enemy has a 2D box collider and a kinematic Rigidbody 2D
    Enemies have a visible vision cone - a child sprite with its own polygon collider that is a trigger.

When the player enters the vision cone it triggers the event as expected. I can't get the player and enemy to collide however, the player just goes over the top of the enemy.

I have another enemy that is patrolling and if I set the player to not be kinematic but with a gravity scale of 0 the patrolling enemy will push the player, but when I try and replicate the settings on the first enemy it's not making a difference.

At present I'm controlling the character with http://wiki.unity3d.com/index.php/GridMove for the purpose of prototyping but would be writing the player movement myself shortly.

I believe it comes down to "if you're moving using x you need to use physics y" and that kind of thing but I just can't get my tiny brain around it at the moment!

Happy to supply codes or anything else as needed.

Thanks.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2015
  2. ashley

ashley

Got the interactions working, just got a question about Physics now.

So now the player just has a box collider while the enemies have a box collider, rigidbody (not kinematic but with 0 gravity) and their sight has a trigger polygon collider.

The player can still be seen and can move enemies, but the problem is now it moves the enemy too much. Essentially I want a nudge and I'm getting a shove (that's the technical term, right?) Tried to use AddForce but not having any affect.

The patrolling enemy is affecting it in the way I would like. The only difference I can think is that is moving itself and I'm applying movement and thus my force is greater?

I should have paid more attention in physic classes!

Oops just realised there's a whole physics forum! Please move.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2015