Search Unity

Physics based BMX game ( BMX: Ride )

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Vossy, Mar 15, 2014.

1. khos85

khos85

Also why not contact some of the top/famous BMX riders , shops or manufacturers to see if they would be willing to join your game, you could add them as rider choices, BMX parts/labels on Bikes, and this would market your game even more? just a thought.

2. supermud

supermud

Yea Agreed it would bring in more real riders

3. Vossy

Vossy

The idea is good, but i don't have a company to sign legal contracts with different bmx companys and/or riders...

4. Vossy

Vossy

5. MD_Reptile

MD_Reptile

Looking good, keep it up!

6. khos85

khos85

Set it up once you have some sponsors/partners?
    You can show the nice videos to get their juices flowing...

7. Vossy

Vossy

I think i will go with an indiegogo campaign, greenlight and sponsors when it's greenlt by Steam community. Seems reasonable?

8. Vossy

Vossy

Startig to look like next-gen ! ;)

9. khos85

khos85

Can you show a vid of the new update, looks nice! /i'd love to beta test :)

10. khos85

khos85

I guess the sunshafts, good textures and camera effects make it look nice, would you agree?

11. Vossy

Vossy

There a blend of different effects, and the sunshafts sure do look good in Unity. I will soon make a new video too!

12. Vossy

Vossy

Added some more features, park elements, polished the gameplay mechanics.

13. khos85

khos85

Very nice! Is Beta testing available? :)
    I like how the rider can fall off the bike, how'd you do that? I wish I had all the cool body shifting in my trial bike game, I'm working with finak ik now to do it.

14. Vossy

Vossy

I will put it on Steam Greenlight soon and once it pass, then it's available to play.
    As for the crashing, it's quite complicated to code, but the idea of it is simple:
    1) Calculate impact force of the bike
    2)Set a boolean value for ex. isCrashed = true, if impact force is big enough value
    3) Disable player hand/leg attachments from bike, or disable the whole IK script
    4) SetKinematic of rigidbody to true ( for player ragdoll, use ragdoll wizard to set it up)
    5) disable player animations
    7) Disable bike controls ( set physics variables to zero, like center of mass, drag etc.)
    8) Add bike velocity to player velocity
    9) player collision material should be with high friction
    10) change camera from follow to rotateAround or something else
    11)For resetting, Instantiate Bike and/or Player objects with all those values in Start() func

15. khos85

khos85

Aiight cool man!
    May I ask another question? with the finak IK stuff do you use like a offset at all for the body position? I'm trying to get my trial bike rider's body to move when I do a pedal kick move, Paertel (final ik) advises that I can try use a body offset e.g.:
    ik.solver.bodyEffector.positionOffset += bodyOffset; ... that seems to work sort of but it very sudden, I was wondering how if / you managed to make the body itself move or just the legs/arms of the rider? for my game (the trial bike one) it is important to get weight shifting right so I need the body move position if poss.. if you move the body would you mind sharing how? no worries if not...

16. khos85

khos85

Yo, have you thought of making this into a multiplayer game? I'm doing that for my trial bike game, it'll be cool if fellow riders can meet virtually!

17. Vossy

Vossy

Yes i definetly consider it, but i want to make full singleplayer first with all the mechanics dialied in. What you mean meet virtually?

18. khos85

khos85

Meet virtually, I mean riders meet up via multiplayer.

19. Vossy

Vossy

So i got my hands on an Oculus Rift and implemented in the game, here is the result:

20. khos85

khos85

Cool, Is this with Oculus Rift dk2? The new scene reminds me a bit about what Danny Mcaskill did recently for trial biking :)

21. Vossy

Vossy

Yeah, it's with the first version of Oculus, so the grapgics are not HD quality. The level is based on Macaskill's mountine bike video

22. khos85

khos85

WOW, really well done, hats off to you sir, great idea about the Macaskill thing.
    I'm waiting for my dk2 (after I sold my dk1), they say it should be shipped this month,lol.
    I think HD with oculus rift will make a massive difference.

23. khos85

khos85

Yo..Btw, isn't Danny Macaskill more of a trials rider than BMX? just wondering :)

24. Vossy

Vossy

Yes he is, but i'm not advertising Danny here, i just used the general idea of the "park" they created in the video.

25. TheWatcher0126

TheWatcher0126

26. khos85

khos85

27. Vossy

Vossy

28. Vossy

Vossy

Bike Editor Video!! Gonna work on Level Editor now too.

29. ReeRoo

ReeRoo

The environment and lighting effects are really good. The animations are also really good, I like the way the player character reacts so well when force is applied to the bike. The first person camera needs a bit of clearing up, am sure you are working on this but you can see through the player:). Just voted up your Greenlight page :), looking forward to see how you progress with the game.

30. Vossy

Vossy

Thank you ReeRoo!

Here is another superb update from the game. Let me introduce you the Park Editor:

ReeRoo likes this.
  31. DylanCampen

DylanCampen

Hey dude i am 12 and kinda experianced so if you want or need any help i would be happy to i habe lots of free time and i am home schooled plus i have nothing to do when i am bored so please i would love to plus really really wont to altleast help make a game but eavryone says they need a really experianced person that is around 20 so i never get to do anything

32. Vossy

Vossy

You say you are experienced, but what kind of stuff you have done with Unity? A bmx game like this is very complex with physics. You might be better off tryng to make a small mobile game at first. Here is a story of a 16 year old from Canada, who made a popular minecraft-like game in Unity: http://kotaku.com/the-story-behind-unturned-one-of-steams-newest-top-gam-1603042968
    You don't really have to make complex games to be succesful in this industry, it's all about innovative ideas and fun gameplay mechanics. Age doesn't mean anything, it's your skills that count. If you have already made some nice game on your own, then people take your talent more seriously. So i suggest you to make something to show for, then you can very likely be involved with bigger projects too.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2014
  33. zRedCode

zRedCode

park editor needs a better camera movement. Also Why these is a marker at hte center of the screen and the pointer is still visible?

34. khos85

khos85

I think the level editor is a great idea and looks good too, I am curious how you made it, I suspect either a plugin like procore or do you make your own prefabs and instantiate those..but how to drag each one around and rotate :), anyway well done.

35. Vossy

Vossy

Naah, I didn't use any plugins. It's not that complicated - most of the code for mouse movement can be found from unity forum and instantiating objects at center of sceen is only about converting the screen space coords to 3d space.

36. JSierraAKAMC

JSierraAKAMC

When I saw the title of the thread, I thought to myself, "I bet this is going to be one of those projects that ends up being scrapped because the creator runs into some issues or just decides to stop." Boy was I wrong! This game looks amazing. Keep up the good work and please don't stop.

37. Gherid_lacksGPS

Gherid_lacksGPS

Been keeping an eye on this. Glad it's on steam gl. Probably pick it up sometime this coming week to see what's up.

From the video it seems that spins can be redirected / corrected at any point. Are there plans to reduce spin correction as you commit to the trick? Say you can correct the beginning of a spin at around 90 degree, but then enter a threshold in the spin where it becomes exponentially more difficult to bring it back? Get what what I'm trying to say? Obviously don't have the game in my hands, just seems like that would help add a lot of "weight" to the feel. Mirra, hoffman, tony hawk...all seemed really stiff and "light." Whereas something like Thrasher: Skate and destroy felt more solid, had momentum, etc.

Manual mechanics already look solid.

38. DylanCampen

DylanCampen

Dud I bought the full rider mainly for the mobile but I got no mobile one like what a waste of money if you know what I can do to fix thi email me at dylanjamescampen@gmail.com plz help

39. DylanCampen

DylanCampen

I will forgive yo if you send me a copy of the mobile version plz I bought it do so I should be riding on my phone right now but I can't

Last edited: Nov 8, 2014
  40. Vossy

Vossy

Starting to look and feel more like Skate 3 with some physical shading

41. supermud

supermud

Holy crap this looks amazing

42. Vossy

Vossy

Thank you supermud!
    Here is a small video too :

43. joni-giuro

joni-giuro

Wow that level editor is incredible! I think the riding itself could use some polishing, the dude just looks too stiff to me.

44. zRedCode

zRedCode

Awesome work vossy, you should do some more smoothing when entering in the tricks aniamtions, some are hard blended.

45. directx

directx

how did u animate the player on bike

46. Vossy

Vossy

Biped IK from asset store.

47. directx

directx

can i use motion builder to animate player on the bike

48. khos85

khos85

Awesome looking so far! I wonder if for the riders clothes an interactive cloth can be used, that would probably simulate wind very well, what do you think Vossy, I'm thinking of doing that for my trial bike game.

49. directx

directx

please some one tell me how to rotate bike in mid air
    while jumping

50. khos85

khos85

Yo, Have you done any research yet for this question? Why not try Unity Answers ?