Search Unity

Physics based BMX game ( BMX: Ride )

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Vossy, Mar 15, 2014.

1. Vossy

Vossy

Hey

I know it's been a while since there was a descent Bmx game for the PC( since Dave Mirra freestyle bmx and Math Hoffman game). And sadly the indie game "BMX:The game" was never finished. So i've been developing my own bmx game in the Unity3d engine. It's a physics based bmx simulation game. Currently it has no player mounted on, because i'm still learning about the motion capture tehcnology for animations.

I'm making this all on my own, so it's gonna take some time to get a playable demo out. I plan on releasin a free demo with 1-2 riding spots, like indoor skatepark + maiby some street spots. Graphics wise i'm tryng to mimic Skate 3. If anyone is interested in helping with programming and modeling/design, let me know ;)

SO i would like to hear Your thoughts on this ? :)

VIDEOS of the early developement:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_ndJAUg4tA
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Epck7AXXVo

Attached Files:

2. PatriotHD

PatriotHD

Great, I waited for BMX the game. Keep going making project.
    But please change the bike model, modern bikes are beauty :)

3. Vossy

Vossy

I know the bike model is not good enough, but I didn't find any free models. But for the final version i'll try to find or make a better bike model. Thanks for support!

4. supermud

supermud

Last edited: Mar 15, 2014
  5. Vossy

Vossy

Hey supermud!
    Thanks for the bike model. I think I will take the handlebars and stem from it, because it looks better.

Bike is based on 2 wheel colliders and a rigidbody object, with specifically tuned physics variables. I apply some extra forces for jumping and turning etc. Also basic math for turn angles and leaning. It's far from perfect tho. If anyone here is experienced with bike physics calculations, then i could need the extra help.

6. supermud

supermud

Thanks for the help I have been wondering about bike movement for quite some time

7. Vossy

Vossy

New Video:

8. create3dgames

create3dgames

Looks good. The music for your gameplay video, however, is terrible.

9. supermud

supermud

Wow this is coming along very nicely

10. Vossy

Vossy

Lol thanks!

Music is actually from the old Dave Mirra game playlist ;)

11. Gabo_campitelli

Gabo_campitelli

Hey, i love simulations and is nice to se physic based games like this. I notice the bike has a lot of drag in the air but i guess is easier for testing to have the bike moving slow in the air. Have you try adjusting inersia tensors to have more "smooth" changes on rigidbody accelerations? It might be that what you are after instead of drag. just a thought :)

12. Vossy

Vossy

Actually i have modified timescale to 0.8 when the bike is in air. It makes everything slower, but better for testing and gameplay wise more time to enjoy visual tricks. But tell me more about "inersia tensors"??

13. Gabo_campitelli

Gabo_campitelli

Rigidbody.inertiaTensor http://docs.unity3d.com/Documentation/ScriptReference/Rigidbody-inertiaTensor.html

With it you can adjust inertia of the rigidbody in the three axes. If you don't set it from script unity calculates it from colliders. Basically you ajust how much torque the rigidbody requiere to start or stop rotation. This type of bikes might not have so much inertia but the rider do. This will work for you if you are applying torque and force to the bike to do the tricks.

14. Vossy

Vossy

Thanks I will look into it for sure ! Here is a lil update
    :

15. Gabo_campitelli

Gabo_campitelli

Looking great! it sure will be a cool experience to use it with ocluss riff technology. How did you do the head bobing effect? hinge joint?

16. Vossy

Vossy

Hey Gabo!
    Thanks, it sure starts to look like a game. Also I was thinking of implementing Oculus Rift in the future. First time i rolled down the mega ramp, i felt actually a real fear playng in full screen :) So with virtual headset it would be pretty awesome experience!

Camera is with Smooth effect on a static position above the bike.

17. Vossy

Vossy

New Video with a rider:

18. Vossy

Vossy

NEW VIDEO:

19. wbakunis

wbakunis

damn, this is looking absolutely amazing. After watching this video I can fairly say that i'm hyped up. Keep up the amazing work!

20. Vossy

Vossy

:D It's very good to hear ! Thank you mate!!!

21. Snorkel

Snorkel

Those physics look good!
    How do you keep the bike upright / enforce the lean angle ?

22. Vossy

Vossy

Omg that was a pain to make. It's a combination of different calculations, involving angular drag, center of mass, correct center of bike pivot, turn angle calculation based on speed...yeah it's quite complicated. Took me a month to figure out :)

23. Vossy

Vossy

Some updated of BMX Ride.
    $tony.jpg
    $menu.png
    $steamworkshop_webupload_previewfile_258984111_preview (1).jpg

What you think guys?:rolleyes:

24. Ethaninja

Ethaninja

That's looking pretty amazing man! Can't say I'm a fan of the remix of Lenny Kravitz xD But none-the-less, great assets, fluid mechanics. One thing I may suggest is having the bikes suspension dip, and the characters knees sort of bend a bit when he comes in for a landing, either from a bunny hop or from a drop in. It would make, all the difference, in, the world, Mr Freeman.

25. Vossy

Vossy

Thanks Ethaninja!

The videos is quite old. I have added player movement based on impact force and it looks more realistic now i think.

Last edited: May 23, 2014
  26. Vossy

Vossy

Score system:

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 26, 2014
  27. supermud

supermud

This game has come a really long way in just a few short weeks. Keep up the good work

28. Vossy

Vossy

A short video showing the updated stuff

29. Vossy

Vossy

Added some post-processing effects, to make it more visually compelling and look more like next-gen title.

30. zRedCode

zRedCode

umh it's a very interesting project, keep it up.

31. leoarmstead

leoarmstead

I'm available for 3d art help skype:leonardarmstead

32. gsokol

gsokol

Oh man this is cool! I was a huge fan of the Dave Mirra games back in the day...That first person mode seems jarring, but pairing that up with an oculus rift might be cool (so you can kinda tilt your head in to spot your landing when you are doing a 360..or up for a backflip, etc).

Anyways...I'm super excited for this...keep it up!

33. Thaao

Thaao

Really enjoyed watching the progress while reading this thread! The first-person mode looks really interesting. Is the camera always going to be at that height? I feel like my head is on the seat and I'm looking down at the front wheel. Kinda disorienting. But anyway, this looks really great. The last set of screenshots looks amazing.

34. NutellaDaddy

NutellaDaddy

Everything looks amazing. I love the test dummy look on that bike. I would keep him for a certain mode or something! I think it just adds a good look to the game. Are you going to add points or something along those lines?

35. Vossy

Vossy

Yep i want point system like in older bmx games and for example Tony Hawks pro skater games, but still haven't figured out the algorithm for that..

NutellaDaddy likes this.
  36. Vossy

Vossy

I have taken out the first person mode at the time, because it doesn't feel right with the player hands. But i will try it with oculus soon and see if the first person with virtual reality glasses look better.

NutellaDaddy likes this.
  37. khos85

khos85

Hey man, I really like your project, any bike related project is nice to see.
    I'd be interested to know how you got the rider/bike anims setup, I'd like to compare it with mine, I'm making a trial bike game (so no competition to yours:) ), check out a vid here:
    . The main thing that is missing is the rider animations and some more gravity effetcs but I have the moves dialed in (e.g. side hop and back wheel hop) I used blender but am still trying to get to grips more with having more than one animation done for the bike/humanoid setup, any tips would be most welcome.. please don't say you used mech anim in unity for the bike/rider animations? If yes I take my hat off to you!
    Another question, are you using Unity Pro or the free version?
    no worries if you don't want to share info , I'll understand of course but hope you do :)
    Having made a game with oculus rift already I can understand the idea with .. but I think wait for dk2 with HD..that shuold make it better to look at..

If you still have open spots for alpha testing I'd be most happy to help.

38. Vossy

Vossy

Hey,
    Nice work!

The player movement on the bike is not animated, it's scipted with Inverse Kinematic solution from the asset store(FULL Body Biped IK). The tricks are animated inside Unity animation tools. Using pro version, but only for the image effects. You can make the same bike physics and gameplay mechanics with free version too. I'm probably gonna put it on Steam Greenlight soon, so not sure about alpha release at this time.

39. khos85

khos85

Thanks for the info, I spent ages trying to use IK in Unity, did not have much luck, my riders legs kept on going all wobbly! How did you stiffen the joints up? I'll have to look at the asset store(FULL Body Biped IK). I'll definitely vote for your game on Greenlight!

40. Vossy

Vossy

I didn't make the IK system myself - bought it from asset store. It has built it everything thats needed and without any joint problems. Thanks for the future vote :D

41. khos85

khos85

42. Vossy

Vossy

Yes, thats the one ! There is no bike pose, you just have to attach the legs and hands to the bike object

43. khos85

khos85

Ok Cool, you say attach the legs and hands to the bike object, is that built in functionality in the asset or do hinges have to be attached?

44. Vossy

Vossy

It's built in. You have to parent the limb posi.ton to bike objects(pedals and fork) and assign the IK hands/legs to the bike positions / rotation. Pretty simple stuff

45. Dnileok

Dnileok

Wow this looks amazing! Watching your videos is giving me some inspiration for my skateboard game. :D. If you don't mind me asking.. How do you calculate where the bike is going to land after launching off a quaterpipe? I'm struggling with this now and I cant think of a solution to figure it out. Your entries look so smooth when you launch off a ramp and land on another almost as if youve already determined the landing position and adjust the bikes rotation at the end accordingly.

46. Vossy

Vossy

The bike is a rigidbody and mass, drag, gravity and other simulated physics determine where the bike will land. Rigidbody is a physics element built in Unity so i change only a few values. Also it's about skill/experience to choose the right speed for each ramp/element. And the player has control over rotation of the bike, so it's all about your own control for how smooth it will land. For example, when it falls flat from higher jump, then the player falls off the bike. So there is a learning curve for this game. It's not as simple as for ex. Math Hoffman bmx.

47. khos85

khos85

I'm really impressed with again when look at what you have done, well done!
    Hope it would be ok to make a suggestion(s)? As with learning to ride a bike you have a level or scene where you only have small obstacles or a park with small curbs etc to practice on... or wait even a foam pit? :) now that could be nice! Then of course as you progress you unlock the massive jumps etc.

That is another point, how about a dirt jump scene? e.g.
    ,that would be cool to have.

48. Vossy

Vossy

Yeah i definetly want to add dirt trails, but that's in the future.

49. MD_Reptile

MD_Reptile

project looks pretty cool Vossy, consider me voted on greenlight when your up there!

50. Vossy

Vossy

Thanks for support guys. I will let you know, when it's on Steam Greenlight.