Search Unity

[RELEASED] Photoscanned Trunks and Stumps | Now also compatible with Unity 4.x

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by mikolajspy, Apr 10, 2015.

1. mikolajspy

mikolajspy

3.0 Update is availabe, pack is even better! - http://u3d.as/fkf
    2015-10-23 19_21_27.jpg

Also, check out Photoscanned Stumps Vol. 2 WIP - http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/wip-photoscanned-stumps-vol-2.362901/
    --------------------------
    Hello,
    as some of you might noticed, I've recently got published my 'Photoscanned rocks pack' in Asset Store (http://u3d.as/cCd)
    Currently I'm working on another photorealistic asset pack, as title says, roots, trunks and stumps.
    First, I'll show you some of the scans:

Right now I've made few of them as game assets, such as that log:

I have a question to you: In stumps, would you like me to fill those gaps in the bottom, those part underground (for example add there some dirty roots texture or something) so you can rotate it, or can I leave it empty?
    Let me know what do you think about it :)

Last edited: Oct 28, 2015
    chelnok and Kirbyrawr like this.
  2. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Those ones looks cool! Keep it up :3

3. nasos_333

nasos_333

Seriously stunning :)

Is there a release date and price estimate for these ?

4. mikolajspy

mikolajspy

Thank you :)
    I guess it could be done in week or two and price would be 30$ I think. I'm planning to have around 6 stumps, 1 log, 2 roots clumps, or maybe I'll separate them and have around 4-6 single, and one or two fallen trees:

And here's one roots clump I'm talking about, it's scan only, I'm just starting to work on them:

Last edited: Oct 23, 2015
  5. nasos_333

nasos_333

Very nice, cant wait for it

I am mostly interested in the old stump (first in the post)

Also the ground is very nice, is it possible to include one with the leaves as well ?

Also in the conversion texture seems lower, would be great if textures could have a max version for uber detail (maybe baked in a normal/paralax map ?)

6. mikolajspy

mikolajspy

I'm also in the process of creating high-detail photosourced ground textures, but it's for different pack, I'll get to it when I'll finish this one ;)
    All textures will have maximum of 4k, normalmaps baked from very high density scans.
    Here's screen of one stump up close:
    Stump01.jpg

7. proandrius

proandrius

Unity Technologies

Looks amazing. :)

8. macdude2

macdude2

What technology do you use to do the scan? The detail is absolutely mind-blowing!

9. Mauri

Mauri

I think it might be Photogrammetry. You shoot an object from different angles, paste those photos through an program (in this case Agisoft PhotoScan) which then converts it into a 3D model. As easy as this sounds, it's not. Still, it's a great technique. A game which makes use of it is 'The Vanishing of Ethan Carter' for example :)

10. mikolajspy

mikolajspy

Mauri is right ;) Altought it may look like easy thing, it's hard to master, I've made many mistakes before I reached quality I have now. It can bring a lot of realism to your project, scanned objects have uniqe textures. For example rocks/stones: you don't have visible pattern over and over on all assets, take a look: http://u3d.as/cCd Even with 11 rocks, you have a huge diversity, especially when you scale and rotate them differently, and it doesn't feel repetitive as when using tileable texture :)

11. mikolajspy

mikolajspy

Update, stumps in front have ~300-600 tris, and bigger ones in back ~5k tris:
    Stumps_WIP1.jpg Stumps_WIP2.jpg

12. mikolajspy

mikolajspy

Another update ;) I've tought that fallen trees trunks should be filled so you can rotate it however you wish :) Currently almost all assets have 300-700 tris, so you will be able to use it even for mobile, and don't worry, it still looks cool thanks to normalmaps ;)
    Trunks_WIP3.jpg Trunks_WIP4.jpg Trunks_WIP_5_Closeup.jpg

SAOTA likes this.
  13. mikolajspy

mikolajspy

Final update, now I need to make Asset Store shots. Price will be 30$, I'll let you know if this pack will be available on marketplace :)
    Trunks,stumps and roots_WIP5.jpg Trunks,stumps and roots_WIP6.jpg Trunks,stumps and roots_WIP7.jpg

14. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

3D scanning?! For mobile too?! WAT SORCERY IS THIS?! :D

Just kidding! Looking amazing! :)

15. mikolajspy

mikolajspy

haha, this sorcery is called skills :D
    Thanks

I've just submitted pack for Asset Store and waiting for review, stay tuned :)

16. one_one

one_one

Does the pack include heightmaps?

17. mikolajspy

mikolajspy

No, it has Normalmaps, but you can always convert them to Heightmaps if you want

18. one_one

one_one

Does it contain AO maps then? If not, you could add even more value to the pack by baking AO (and probably also reduce the photographed AO in the albedo texture). That should be fairly straightforward considering you've got both the high and low res meshes.

19. mikolajspy

mikolajspy

As far as I know, AO is not neccessary needed in PBR, Albedo texture has no lighting information, everything is generated in engine. If someone really needs AO, it can also be converted from Normalmap :)

20. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Unity's pbr shader has an AO slot to assist in lighting. It is not generated in engine, as you put it.

21. Cascho01

Cascho01

Nice Sketchfab scenes!
    Wondering when Unitys WebGL will finally reach this quality....

22. mikolajspy

mikolajspy

@hippocoder I heard that Unity has SSAO, so it's generated. Anyway it's not a big deal if assets looks good, and one can convert Normalmaps to AO
    @Cascho01 thanks :)

BTW, I'm still waiting for package review, I hope it will be done in next week :)

23. one_one

one_one

SSAO is quite different from textured AO, in some cases using both doesn't make sense. So for those who don't use SSAO, providing an AO map would be great because baking those with the actual meshes will be much better than generating it from normal maps . I'm kind of curious why you're resisting the general idea of AO maps though...

24. PvTGreg

PvTGreg

do you do this with a regular camera? dslr? and are there any tutorials for this kind of work?

25. mikolajspy

mikolajspy

@christoph_r Well, you're right, but baking from original scans makes a lot of trouble, most of them have holes at bottom which makes artifacts and it takes time to correct them manualy (I've spend quite a long time with Normalmaps)
    @PvTGreg with quite regular, but very good digital camera. There are few tutorials, try to google them ;)

26. mikolajspy

mikolajspy

I just want to let you know, that I was declined because of some small texture issues that I need to clean up. Because of that, I've decided to take more time and provide decent AO as you requested :)

one_one likes this.
  27. mikolajspy

mikolajspy

AO maps added, minor errors fixed, I'll submit this pack soon :)
    Trunks_WIP5.jpg Trunks_WIP6.jpg

one_one likes this.
  28. mikolajspy

mikolajspy

I've just submitted fixed version, hopefully everything will be fine this time.
    Meantime, you can check out updated rocks pack, they have nice AO now: http://u3d.as/cCd ;)

29. mikolajspy

mikolajspy

Hello,
    Thanks for your support, the pack is available on AssetStore, I hope you'll enjoy it :D
    http://u3d.as/fkf
    You can combine it with my Photoscanned Rocks pack to ge even more realism :)

30. nasos_333

nasos_333

Hi, nice work.

Is there any chance to include super high resolution maps in the pack later ?

Right now there is a difference between the OP pics and the pack shots.

Or maybe it is hard to access since all material is so small. Are there any very big pics of each item ?

Thanks

EDIT: Scratch the above, textures look amazing in the Sketchfabs, is it possible to get a sketchfab of the big tree root with the green moss ? That is the item i want the most, so a Sketchfab would greatly help decide on the pack purhsase.

Thanks again

Last edited: May 21, 2015
  31. mikolajspy

mikolajspy

Sure, I've uploaded game-ready asset on Sketchfab :) Thank you very much for interest :)

32. nasos_333

nasos_333

Great, thanks a lot :)

33. mikolajspy

mikolajspy

Pack will be soon updated to 3.0
    Whats new:
    - changed shader
    - better, sharper textures at smaller file size (compressed *.png's instead of current *.tga)
    - fixed few meshes and LODs errors
    - scale fixes
    - few minor issues removed
    New icon and images, better screens showing practical use in connection with my other packs.
    If you were hesitating if it's worth buying, I hope now you don't have doubts, buy it now and wait for update! - http://u3d.as/fkf
    2015-10-23 19_21_27.jpg

There will be Photoscanned Stumps Vol. 2 soon, you can keep in touch at this thread - http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/wip-photoscanned-stumps-vol-2.362901/

Last edited: Oct 23, 2015
  34. mikolajspy

mikolajspy

New version has been just released, I think it will be last update to this pack :) - http://u3d.as/fkf

35. mikolajspy

mikolajspy

Small update - this pack is now backwards compatible with Unity 4.x :)

Last edited: Mar 29, 2016
  36. nasos_333

nasos_333

Great, thanks for the updates, keep up the great work