Search Unity

Third Party Photon Unity Networking

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by tobiass, Aug 23, 2011.

1. tobiass

tobiass

You should check line 12 of PlayerCollider.
    This thread is the wrong place to discuss and analyze this. Please post in a new thread in our forum (linked below) and also post the full error and the full PlayerCollider.cs somewhere (e.g. on www.hastbin.com).
    We are maybe not able to help before the weekend is over...

2. Steve-of-Construction

Steve-of-Construction

Thanks and ... bought :)

3. tobiass

tobiass

Lotte (and everyone else who bought PUN+): Thanks!
    I hope to see a lot cool multiplayer games soon :)

4. VSuper

VSuper

Ok thanks

5. Exeneva

Exeneva

I've just purchased PUN during the Madness sale. Is there any way I'm supposed to upgrade my Photon account on your website to indicate this?

6. Steve-of-Construction

Steve-of-Construction

Yes go to www.exitgames.com and Login.
    Then click Dashboard in the upper right menu and you can switch to the purchased 100CCU (it's 120 then ;) )

7. argosy_ops

argosy_ops

I have a follow-up question on this: Looking at the dashboard, I see "apply unity purchase" next to each application ID. Does that mean a PUN+ purchase can only be applied to one particular project? What happens if I abandon the project and would like to use the plan on new App ID?

8. jerotas

jerotas

Hi,

we are thinking of buying this, but we're not sure about one thing. Using your product, can we set up a bunch of 2-player online multiplayer game sessions? Or do all concurrent users have to be in "the same game" (i.e. it's a 100-player game instead of 50 separate 2-player games going on)?

Awaiting your reply!
    -Brian

9. tobiass

tobiass

argosy_ops: Yes, the idea is that you can only apply the CCU bonus to one application / subscription. For us, it's just simpler and at that price point, simple is all we can do.
    If you abandon a project, you can probably switch existing clients over to another appID and re-use the one you upgraded.

jerotas: You can have any number of rooms. Each room can have it's own "max player" setting, so you're not locked to 2 or 4 player games either. It's very flexible. Give "PUN Free" a try. The features are the same as PUN+, aside from export and you don't have to make a purchase! The free account is not timed and the 20 CCU limit means you can test up to 10 rooms at the same time.

10. jerotas

jerotas

Thanks, we went ahead and purchased.

11. im

im

in addition to server side hosting do you have a way to store persistent player account information and things like player stats, achievements, unlocks, upgrades, ect...

basically i need a place to store player related data that the game uses and keeps for each player

what about any server persistent data which may change as players play the game on the server...

Last edited: May 15, 2014
  12. tobiass

tobiass

jerotas: Thanks for the purchase.
    In fact: Thanks to everyone who bought PUN+!

im: We decided to not implement user accounts in Photon directly. There are several communities per platform which are more or less commonly used and player accounts on Photon would probably clash with those.
    Instead, we now have a system without player accounts but you can easily use any (player) community service you want to integrate.
    You can authenticate a user from just about any community through Photon with the "Custom Authentication" feature. This makes sure players do use an account in your favorite community.
    It should be possible to find one that offers the account based features you need. Check out Roarengine and their alternatives.

13. Ian094

Ian094

Hey, how do I make the PhotonView component attached to my player observe a JS script?
    It works when I try using a C# script but it doesn't seem to allow me when I use Javascript.

EDIT : Got it to work! :D

Last edited: May 16, 2014
  14. hjupter

hjupter

Hi Tobias I'm currently working on my game you can see here http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/246333-Infested-Land-Multiplayer-Zombie-Game I would like to know 2 things:

1. I saw a game who have a region selection at the begining I saw they are displaying the ping per server/region and players on each I wanted to know how is that possible there is currently any way to do that with the PUN sdk? Ive been looking at the sdk without look.

2. I would like my lobby to be a playable level and there let players look for rooms or create a new. It is possible to list rooms inside a room? I remember this is how it was before but not sure if this changed or there is a workaround or something

Thank you

15. tobiass

tobiass

Intense: Afaik, you need to copy the C# PUN classes into the Assets\Plugins\ folder (to make sure they compile before your JS code does) and then you should be able to access everything? Did I forget something?

hjupter: Nice style! I also like the small detail how the minimap shows up and goes away.

About your questions:
    1. At the moment, PUN does not offer the roundtrip times out of the box.
    It's not very hard to get the individual times with Unity's Ping class. That's probably what you saw in that game.
    However, Ping is not working on all platforms currently, so we plan to use our own (platform independent) ping in the next release of PUN.
    When would you need it?

2. Inside a room, you can't create new rooms and no longer get the list of existing ones. You are also cut off from the friend finding.
    We do that, because a lobby should be open for anyone and we might end up with hundreds of characters all sending their positions, friend requests, etc. This would scale far worse (but of course would be much cooler).
    You can have a room that acts as "lobby-room" but it must have a maximum of players. When things get busy, it will be full any another room should be created.
    In the lobby-room, Players can make up new room names for their actual game, leave the lobby-room and join the new one they agreed on (using PhotonNetwork.JoinOrCreate()).
    To keep your lobby-rooms out of the room lising of Photon, you can use separate "Typed Lobbies". One for actual matches and another just for the lobby-rooms (which you should join randomly).
    With Photon Chat, you can have a channel per player-group, independent of the client's connection to a room. It also offers a status for friends, so you could still find them while being in the lobby.

We think it makes sense to always have some shortcut directly into a game. A simple "play now" button which does the matchmaking. Those can be refined, based on the player-counts. Let's say you have < 50 players, then you only press "play". If you have more players, you can show a GUI to select a game-mode or map or both, e.g.. If no suitable room is available, create it and let someone else find your room with that setup.

16. hjupter

hjupter

Thank you!.

1. Well as soon as possible would be great, also how I can show the number of online user per region?

2. Yeah this is exactly what I thought if this were case but having no friend finding functionality makes this option not too good. I already have friend finding nicely implemented and I can also join my friends rooms or even get invitations to join their room.

I also have play now button and GUI for custom rooms already implemented.

Hope I can get showcased on photon website when the game its done :)

17. dmitry-K

dmitry-K

Hello. Could you please tell what's the difference between PUN free and PUN+ for Unity free and Unity Pro?

18. tobiass

tobiass

hjupter:
    I will work on the ping this week if everything goes according to plan.
    At the moment, we don't have statistics available per region. We will try to do something about it.
    We now have Photon Chat in public beta. That chat is independent from rooms and could be used to message and invite friends, no matter in which room they are. So far, we also use just one region, so players could potentially find each other all over the world.
    When you have some material about your game, send it over. If you have a trailer, even better. We often show those trailers on conferences.

dmitry:
    In really short: "PUN+ enables exports to Android and iOS from Unity Free and upgrades a Photon Cloud Free Subscription to 100 concurrent users for a one-time price."
    More info: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/photon-pun.204343

19. jerotas

jerotas

Hi, we bought this plugin and I'm struggling trying to figure out how to do a fairly common thing. I want to do a 4-player co-op thing where we can see the other 3 players moving around in my game window as well. I don't even know how to begin approaching this. I have my one player moving around and I've connected to a random room from 2 different hosts. What's next? I should mention that each player can choose from different characters to play.

I think it might be something like this?

1) Somehow spawn the characters that the other players in the room choose, each one having a Photon View on them so they can be updated over the network?

I've never done network or multiplayer stuff before, so I'm sure this is a newb question. I've read the whole manual too but it didn't really "click" at all with me.

20. tobiass

tobiass

Brian: You can do this in several ways. If your character selection happens only before you play, you can use PhotonNetwork.Instantiate(prefabname, ..., parameters) with "parameters" being some customization values. Or you can have a prefab per character. Then you don't even need the parameters.
    To sync movement and such, it's best to work through the Marco Polo Tutorial. It is simple but a good start.
    http://doc.exitgames.com/en/pun/current/tutorials/tutorial-marco-polo

Coop game? Sounds good. I like those usually :)

21. jerotas

jerotas

Thanks, I'll take a look at the Marco Polo. A couple more questions.

1) Can I modify Network.Instantiate to use pooling (like Pool Manager)?
    2) Is there a Network.Destroy command? If not, how do you handle destroying things for all players in a room? If so, can I make that use pooling as well?

22. hjupter

hjupter

1. Yes you can do this by using an RPC then assign the viewId manually instead of using PhotonNetwork.Instantiate, it works fine with player objects but not with scene objects, @tobiass I would like to suggest this feature I mean there is no way right now to assign scene view Ids manually so we can use pooling instead of having to have objects inside the resources folder.

2. Yes there are few ways to destroy objects or photonViews but since you want to use pooling you have to despawn the instance manually for instance:

OnPhotonPlayerLeft(PhotonPlayer player) { PoolManager.Pools["YourPool"].Despawn(object); }

23. jerotas

jerotas

Thank you for the response. So what qualifies as a Scene object exactly? If enemies do, I'm not sure what is so different about enemies vs players that this is so?

24. hjupter

hjupter

Yes you can use scene views for enemies, powerups etc.. basically scene views are owned by the scene and master client

25. jerotas

jerotas

Ok I can't figure out how to do an RPC. I have this code and it gives me an error saying "Can't send RPC function since no connection was started." - any ideas how to fix that?

[RPC]
    public void SetAnimatorVars(float dist, bool grounded, float yVelocity) {
    animator.SetFloat("DistanceToTarget", dist);
    animator.SetBool("Grounded", grounded);
    animator.SetFloat("YVelocity", yVelocity);
    if (isActivePlayer && PhotonNetwork.isMessageQueueRunning) {
    networkView.RPC("SetAnimatorVars", RPCMode.OthersBuffered, dist, grounded, yVelocity);
    }
    }

Side question - have they removed the ability in this forum to "format as code"? I can't find a button that does that any more.

26. tobiass

tobiass

jerotas: You have to connect and join a game before you call RPCs.
    Scene PhotonViews are attached to the room rather than a player. It makes a difference when a player leaves. Scene PhotonViews will stay in the room and don't get cleaned up when a player/master leaves.

27. Joachim Gugenberger

Joachim Gugenberger

I Plan to create A mmo game. is it posible to use the system for that kind of games?
    Does it make sense to use it for that kind of games?

28. BFGames

BFGames

As you have no control of the server with PUN and a limit of messages per room - no not really.

The Photon Server solution though works great for MMO's: https://www.exitgames.com/en/OnPremise

29. Otactu

Otactu

I've downloaded the "Photon Unity Networking Free.unitypackage"

But it doesn't work ...

I have download it 3 times, reinstall unity 2 times. Still doesn't work.

I have these errors in my console :

What can I do to resolve this ?

Last edited: Jun 25, 2014
  30. tobiass

tobiass

Maybe you can copy and paste the text out of those errors or (even better) send a player/editor log.
    The single line shown in a screenshot is not giving all the info needed (and the shot attached shrunk to a thumbnail).
    In best case, post in this forum to get support:
    http://forum.exitgames.com/viewforum.php?f=17

31. Otactu

Otactu

I edit the picture, clic on it to get the full size :)

EDIT : I found the problem :

There was a conflict with an other script in my project. A PS Vita Script :

----------------------------------------

using UnityEngine;
    using System.Collections;

public class Touch : MonoBehaviour {

private Vector2 offset = new Vector2(100,100);

void OnGUI () {
    for (int i = 0; i < Input.touchCount; ++i)
    {
    Vector2 pos = Input.GetTouch(i).position + offset;
    GUI.Label(new Rect(pos.x, Screen.height - pos.y, 50, 30), "(X) #" + i);
    }
    }
    }

Last edited: Jun 25, 2014
  32. peaveyyyy

peaveyyyy

Hi

I have a customized GameObject I want to instantiate. The class is called Player. The PhotonNetwork.Instantiate method only seems to accept a GameObject, rather than an object derived and inheriting from GameObject.

I need to set an object on aplayer called planetspawn after I instantiate aplayer. This works fine in Unity Networking, but Photon networking gives me this error:

Cannot convert type 'UnityEngine.GameObject' to 'Player' via a reference conversion blablabla

see code:

public Player myPlayer;
    playerPosition = new Vector3(0,0,0);
    playerRotation = Quaternion.Euler(new Vector3(270,0,0));

Player aplayer = PhotonNetwork.Instantiate(myPlayer.name, playerPosition, playerRotation, 0)as Player;

aplayer.SetPlanetspawn (planetSpawn);

How do I get my object instantiated using photon?

33. tgraupmann

tgraupmann

It looks like it's saying that Instantiate returns a GameObject and if you want Player you'll have to use gameObject.GetComponent<Player>(); instead of casting a GameObject to Player.

34. tobiass

tobiass

PUN does only know how to instantiate GameObjects from prefabs. It only works with the name of the Prefab and only if the prefab is in a Resources folder.
    If you want to instantiate or create something else, you can use a RPC instead. You can implement the RPC method and fully take control of what you instantiate, what's the original and so on.

If whatever you want to instantiate has a PhotonView component, you can manually allocate a viewID for it (PhotonNetwork.AllocateViewID()) and send it along with the RPC, so the remote clients can also apply the same viewID that one client made up.

Hope that helps.

peaveyyyy likes this.
  35. phamdinhnam

phamdinhnam

thanks, i get it

36. CaoMengde777

CaoMengde777

lol oh i guess i already asked this lol i forgot... been awhile..

you say the Server version of photon is permanent?

could i distribute the master server program with my game and it just works?

i dont want Any master server... that crap is DUMB... some kind of money grubbing EA "corporate commander" bs.

so if i use photon server its permanent? ... 1000 years from now (theoretically) it could still be played without any problem? (theoretically)

is server version still restricted by ccu?? even if not connected to the outside world at all?
    (so is it just a contrived limitation?)
    i understand there's a cloud service, thats always connected to internet ...
    0 interest in that...

i dont like the idea of spending so much time and effort creating something thats just going to not work at all later...

i want to be able to be like 80 years old, look back at my lifes works, and play my game with a friend.

theres some games that, the only way to still play them multiplayer is to get the pirated version, because the master server is down....
    thats just plain STUPID! .. and ill have nothing to do with anything related.

i think anyone that doesnt consider what i have considered (permanence) is really stupid and shouldnt be in the business of creating anything ever, lool
    (like some games only work for like 2 years)

Last edited: Jul 30, 2014
  37. tobiass

tobiass

Assuming you have the machine and OS and everything else to play your game in 100 years, then you can will also be able to run a Photon Server in lan then.
    Our Redistributable License limits CCU per lan server. This is an arbitrary value but the idea is that you host for a smaller number of local players instead of "for everyone in the world", so the CCU is lower by design.
    Aside from that limit the license can be bought (by you) for redistribution. You pay for X customers to simultaneously run Photon Servers (now or in the far future).

38. peaveyyyy

peaveyyyy

My Player object has a shield gameobject as a child. This activates when there is a collision. I do this by altering the alpha of the shield gameobject.

This activation works in multiplayer, so the other player does see the shield activate.

The shield deactivates after 0.3 seconds. This deactivation does not feed across the network, so the other player sees the shield as activated permanently. Only the owner of the shield sees it deactivate.

I have tried adding a photonView to the child object, there is no effect. I have also tried using unFlashShield() in the 'else' section of Update() where the photonView is not mine, but this just stops the activation for the other player entirely.

This is weird, because the FlashShield method updates the object for all players, but the unFlashShield Method does not.

Code is here:

public void SetAlpha ( Material material, float value)
    {
    Color color = material.color;
    color.a = value;
    material.color = color;
    }
    void FlashShield()
    {
    shieldFlashed = true;
    lastFlash = Time.time;
    utils.SetAlpha (Shield.renderer.materials[0], alpha * 0.7f);
    }
    void unFlashShield()
    {
    shieldFlashed = false;
    utils.SetAlpha (Shield.renderer.materials[0], 0.0f);
    }
    void Update ()
    {
    if (photonView.isMine)
    {

blabla

if(shieldFlashed)
    {
    if (Time.time > lastFlash + shieldFlashTime)
    {
    unFlashShield ();
    }
    }
    }
    else
    {
    blabla

}
    }

39. tobiass

tobiass

If something happens X seconds after some other event, please don't send a second event. Just use a timer or a Invoke or something. Even if you send another RPC or update to "disable" the shield after X seconds, it won't be more synchronous than simply calling a method after those X seconds.

Anyone with questions about some code or project: Please make a new thread for your topic. Often those questions get complex, so a fresh thread is much easier to read.

40. peaveyyyy

peaveyyyy

I assume it's Ok to finish this topic in this thread as I can't move it...

I am not sending a second event over the network. I'm not even sending one event. I am 'simply calling a method'.

I am asking why one method seems to propagate correctly to the other client and the second method does not. I am not doing any RPC here, just using the standard photonView on the parent of the shield. ISTM that if the first change of alpha of a child of one player shows correctly to the other player, then the second change should show as well. Switching to using an Invoke like this didn't make any difference:

void FlashShield()
    {
    shieldFlashed = true;
    utils.SetAlpha (Shield.renderer.materials[0], alpha * 0.7f);
    Invoke ("unFlashShield", 0.3f);
    }

I can probably workaround by using an RPC, but it seems like I should not have to....

41. tobiass

tobiass

I only read your text. I tend to avoid reading code, which takes longer and often is lacking some other relationship, more code, etc.

In your case it seems you flash BOTH shields but then in Update only unflash the local one. Your unflash code is in a if (isMine) check. To apply unflash to everyone, don't check isMine.

42. gevarre

gevarre

Where is the information on how to set up and run PUN with your standalone server?

Your materials say that you now can run a photon server locally for lan games and you mention a redistributable version and the need for a separate, free license. I've found the license, but at far as what to do with that, what else is needed, or the steps to follow to get it to work, I can find absolutely no information whatsoever - not on your site, not in the forums, not in the photon readmes, and not in your tutorials. Several places mention that it can be done and that it's a new and exciting feature, but there is nothing actually explaining, step-by-step, how to do it. The closest I've found are many, many posts asking where the documentation is and Exit Games' reply of "Oh, there isn't any yet. We need to do that." These posts are from months ago and nothing seems to have changed.

Sorry if this information does indeed exist, but if it does, it seriously needs to be front-and-center with at least a link on your tutorial page. This is very basic information that a lot of people need to know, because without it, the product is useless, so I'm going to ask it here once again:

How do I set up and start a standalone server locally and connected to it with my PUN game?

43. Gunhi

Gunhi

any news for PUN+ Chat?

44. tobiass

tobiass

Gevarre: I have to agree that the info how to start a Photon Server for PUN is weak. We concentrated quite a bit on Photon Cloud as it's so much more convenient but we the Server option is important, too.

You can follow the guide "How to Start Photon in 5 Minutes" online to get an overview.
    You want to run your server as "Photon Cloud", so you have to set an IP via "LoadBalancing IP Config" and then run: "LoadBalancing (MyCloud)".

We will make sure to include better descriptions in the SDK itself and online.

Gunhi: Chat with PUN+ support is in the works. It turned out to be more tricky than expected but this is the next important thing on our list. Due to vacation timing, I expect this in September.

45. tobiass

tobiass

I just updated PUN to v1.26.1.
    Asset Store: http://u3d.as/2ey

Instead of boring the hell out of you, let me summarize some highlights of the new release:
    New Pickup Demo: Concurrent pickup, score per player and teams! Includes easy to re-use components for your game.
    Best Region hosting type automatically pings the Photon Cloud regional servers and selects best. On all supported platforms.
    New components: SupportLogger, ShowInfoOfPlayer, InRoomRoundTimer.
    The RPC List will now be sorted alphabetically when you re-build it. This breaks compatibility to older clients but is better when you accidentally didn't sync it between copies of your project.
    Updates to offline mode.
    Additional features for PhotonPlayer class, like GetNext() and TagObject.
    Updated reference documentation. Reworked all descriptions of PhotonNetworkingMessage and RoomOptions.

For more details, have a look at the changelog.txt.
    Make sure to backup your project before you update (as always).

46. konsnos

konsnos

Hello,
    I'm following the Marco Polo Tutorial. I can see that it is not updated as the Photon Unity Networking Free asset. Are there any differences on the version used? Can I Import the Photon Viking Demo, and then re-import the Photon Unity asset to use the most recent version?

47. dilbertian

dilbertian

Does PUN work with Unity version 4.6.0b17?

Yesterday I downloaded Photon Chat and that worked fine, but now I am giving PUN a try and getting an error.

I have installed PUN (not PUN+) from the Unity Asset store and have configured it with my Photon license (free level) App ID. I have changed no code and am just running the included scene - DemoHub both prior and after running the Apply Build Setup for Demos option.

I am getting the following error:

Authentication failed: 'Cloud Public / Region us is not available.' Code: 32756
    UnityEngine.Debug:LogError(Object)
    NetworkingPeer:OnOperationResponse(OperationResponse) (at Assets/Photon Unity Networking/Plugins/PhotonNetwork/NetworkingPeer.cs:1059)
    ExitGames.Client.Photon.PeerBase:DeserializeMessageAndCallback(Byte[])
    ExitGames.Client.Photon.EnetPeer:DispatchIncomingCommands()
    ExitGames.Client.Photon.PhotonPeer:DispatchIncomingCommands()
    PhotonHandler:Update() (at Assets/Photon Unity Networking/Plugins/PhotonNetwork/PhotonHandler.cs:83)

I have tried selecting several different regions including best, but always get same error.

-Tim

48. vadiml

vadiml

konsnos:
    Importing latest PUN in empty project first and then importing Viking Demo with "Photon Unity Networking" and "Plugins" folders unchecked works for me. You way may work too but my is 'cleaner' I think.
    And you are right, Viking demo needs to be updated. It contains outdated PUN which conflicts with previously imported latest PUN.

49. vadiml

vadiml

dilbertian:
    Does the error still persist?
    If so, please send issue details and app id to support@exitgames.com
    DemoHub is menu which runs other demos. Which demo actually fails?
    Did you try 'eu' region?

50. dilbertian

dilbertian

Yes, I had given in a few more tries per your suggestions and am still unable to get it working. I will email support as suggested and provide information requested. Thanks for the response!