Search Unity

Third Party Photon Bootcamp Multiplayer Demo

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by tobiass, Apr 13, 2012.

1. tobiass

tobiass

Jiro, maybe you started the wrong server configuration.

First, do the "Game Server IP Config", then make sure you start "LoadBalancing (MyCloud)". Even then, your client will need the IP address to be setup correctly and the net it's in muss be able to reach the server.
    http://doc.exitgames.com/photon-server/PhotonIn5Min

2. Benjamindavid

Benjamindavid

Thanks, It did the trick and the limit is lifted. But, one more question. It worked in LAN with internet. I'm publishing it as a standalone application for windows. Can this demo be played through internet connection and from different systems located at different areas?

Last edited: Feb 14, 2014
  3. tobiass

tobiass

> Can this demo be played through internet connection and from different systems located at different areas?
    Yes. Keep in mind that Unity released this demo originally and we used it as learning material only. So I'm not sure if you can just "publish" it.

4. SLThompson

SLThompson

Is there any documentation for bootcamp, the previous link provided doesn't work 404.

5. SLThompson

SLThompson

Benjamindavid - where did you find the limit for players in a room, file and line#. Thanks

I tried changing the photon var set as 4 in assets/photon/usePhoton.cs line 298 but something else also needs to be changed because I'm only able to log in 2 players and the room disappears in the lobby.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2014
  6. tobiass

tobiass

Jeff: We had to change the URL and didn't fix all 404 errors with forwards yet. The project only comes with a description of what was modified originally. That might be outdated by now.
    Anyways, here is the link to the Photon Bootcamp Demo description.
    A better start would be to check out the examples in the Photon Unity Networking (PUN) package and the Marco Polo tutorial for PUN. The latter should give you a better introduction into the basics of multiplayer development. The Bootcamp Demo is a relatively big and complex project.

To change the number of players, you will have to modify any call to OpCreateRoom. I don't know out of my head where they are scattered.
    I will add a note that we should add a public value for that, so you can edit it in the inspector...

7. SLThompson

SLThompson

Ok, Thank you-

8. coluvatz

coluvatz

When you start the demo, how do you add/ change one of the start transitions. Like when it says "KingsMound" on the start screen, how do you add one of your own?

9. tobiass

tobiass

coluvatz: There are lots of ways to change this but as this is not a multiplayer-related question, you might want to check out some other Unity tutorials and forum threads.
    This is "normal" Unity work which is beyond the scope of this thread / demo. I'm sorry.

10. Dustin88

Dustin88

i was wondering if you could please tell me how to add weapons to the Player

11. tobiass

tobiass

I hope someone else might help here, because I can't go into detail about this.
    If players don't switch weapons frequently: Read up on "Player Properties".
    If half of the game is about switching weapons, you can send the current weapon type as event or with shots.

12. Que

Que

Just downloaded the demo. I'm still learning on how to use Photon cloud.

In the readme.txt file, it says open "BootCampLiteLobby.unity" but I only see BootCampScene, so I use it.
    Where to put the APP ID?

13. Que

Que

I found it.

14. Que

Que

I'm live. Please join me to test it https://www.king.net/bootcamp-3d-multiplayer/
    I'm going to upgrade to 100CCU later this week to test it for maximum 100 connections.

Next action plan, is to add another third character (attacker).

15. Que

Que

How hard to make it mobile ready for iOS and Android?
    Please help...

16. vadiml

vadiml

At least you need Unity Pro or PUN+ for export Photon apps to Andorid and iOS.

17. Que

Que

@vadiml
    I have Unity Pro. I tried to export it to iOS, failed due to some errors.
    It seems that script (c#) was written to support the computer (WASD or arrows) keys only but not mobile ready.

Have anyone tried it?

18. tobiass

tobiass

Unity Pro for iOS is another license of Unity. I'm not sure if you have that, too. In that case, PUN Free should export fine to iOS, too. Unity Android Pro also needs a pro export license.
    Alternatively, get PUN+ and use that package to export to the mobile platforms. PUN+ will export even in Unity Free.

Hope that helps.

19. Que

Que

I have Unity Pro with iOS and Android package.
    I have no problem for the Web but not able to export this to iOS (or Android) with the error.

/CameraScripts/SmoothFollow.js (31,9). Unknown identifier: "wantedRotationAngle".

Any idea where to begin fixing this issue?

20. tobiass

tobiass

I don't have any idea. I'd look up wantedRotationAngle. Seems to be a variable that should be defined somewhere? Maybe a typo?

21. Que

Que

I will do more research and try to figure this out. It's nice to bring this asset using mobile, just like the Angry bots.

22. BuckeyeStudios

BuckeyeStudios

Que you need pun+ and you need to add gui mobile controls (ie. joysticks and a fire button)

23. Baelgren

Baelgren

I created a creature with an AI that makes it hostile, I'm not trying to figure out how to tell it to damage the player and how to get the player to damage it back, anyone know how this is done?

24. tobiass

tobiass

@Baelgren: This topic is really specific to multiplayer. Your question might get more attention in another forum/thread about AI. Also, at the moment, the question is very vague / open. It's hard to really help, because the answer would be "make a script that tracks the position of the player and when it's in range, steer towards the player and shoot like hell". :)

25. linghunchongxin

linghunchongxin

Hello,i;m new photon server, After download the demo. i really research the readme.txt . I download the lastest server sdk and run Loadbalancing(MyCloud) successfully. Then I Enter server's address in "Custom Server Address" and port (leave the "Photon Cloud App Id" blank), But Afert running demo, I get a error, I set a breakpoint on error line and Find variable GaemServerAddress in LoadBalancingClient.cs is null, then i find this

this.GameServerAddress = (string)operationResponse[ParameterCode.Address]; on (LoadBalancingClient.cs line 871)

I debug this ,then find it;s null. please tell me Why ?

26. tobiass

tobiass

27. Pulov

Pulov

Great sample project, hope it is not too outdated, with this, the documentation on the site and the video tutorial series now I feel much more confident to get into the networking endeavour.

28. KEMBL

KEMBL

Bootcamp PUN not more present in asset store which are the prospects for this project?

29. tobiass

tobiass

We removed the Bootcamp Multiplayer demo from the Asset Store, because it caused some trouble in newer versions of Unity. As full project, it just wasn't up to date anymore, so we think it's best to remove it as sample.

30. MTDues

MTDues

can photon make similar sample of bootcamp rooms creating,lobby, 3rd shotting etc?

31. Ravel

Ravel

why is good stuff like this anymore available? Or if it is, please let me take a look. (I guess its because of the late changes to the engine itself right?)