Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Third Party Photon: Base Room-Lobby

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by TehGM, Nov 19, 2014.

1. TehGM

TehGM

As usually with me, let's start with a short describing story...

So, after month of having some partial ideas but no idea how to put them together in a cool way, in thinking time (aka shower - best thinking time) I've came up with a solution. Basically:

We have a base level, where players can get upgrades etc.
    And then we have automatically generated shards with a game levels - server generates new maps, like 3 of them, which can be accessed for 10 minutes and then they go dead, and new ones get created.
    And players can change map from base to shard.

Ok, sounds simple enough and with right implementation should be cool. Now it all can be done singleplayer quite easily, but even cooler if it's done multiplayer way - each scene would be persistant, could still simulate enemies, and ofc players could play together.

And now comes my question: does Photon support main base lobby-type room that still handles some of game mechanics, or a instajoin room, which other levels could automatically move to on leave and hopefully pass parameters to base room?
    Ofc, I can code it in smartfox, but I am just prototyping and I generally dislike java, or I could code own server or whatever, but I want a quick solution at least for now, so I'd like to try photon or something like that at first.