Search Unity

Performance issues with Unity 5 on Yosemite

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by emiliosaffi, Mar 5, 2015.

1. emiliosaffi

emiliosaffi

Hello, I just downloaded Unity 5 and I seem to be having some performance issues on my MB Pro Retina with Yosemite installed.

When running my projects in the editor I'm getting about ~20fps when they should be running at 60. To verify that this wasn't a fault in my scripts or set-up I created a new project from scratch and made a test scene with a cube being propelled forward with a super simple script. The result was the same.

Has anyone been experiencing the same issue? Unfortunately this renders Unity 5 unusable for me on the Mac for the time being. I'm crossing my fingers that I've just missed a checkbox somewhere..

Also worth noting is that if I build the scene to a stand-alone it runs smoothly.

2. cesarpo

cesarpo

3. luispedrofonseca

luispedrofonseca

I'm having exactly the same issue. Macbook Pro Retina with a very simple scene the game stutters a lot if I have the Scene view visible while in Play mode.

Any potential fix?

4. NicholasGolden

NicholasGolden

Yep. Same here.

using a camera and using the transforms it lags, and the game window lags. What's funny is if you 'maximize on play' there isn't any lag.

Freaking driving me crazy.

5. jakkovanhunen

jakkovanhunen

Hi,
    I've been seeing this for some time as well, and reported it a couple of times. It makes using U5 in a production environment unbearable.
    Maybe if more people file a bug report this will get fixed. It looks like something gobbles up too much frame time whenever the hierarchy, scene and sometimes properties are visible.
    When I use the profiler to also profile the editor when I run a project, I see a UpdateSceneIfNeeded process that takes up a crazy amount of time every frame. Even when I profile a completely empty scene.

6. amanset

amanset

We had this error with one of the 4.x releases, where it was incredibly slow in the editor EXCEPT when "Maximize on Play" was selected. At the time there was a lot of discussion with UT saying that they couldn't replicate it and eventually deciding it was a bug with Apple's OpenGL drivers and they did a workaround.

Now it looks like we have the exact same bug back.

7. amanset

amanset

Magris likes this.
  8. luispedrofonseca

luispedrofonseca

@jakkovanhunen Do you have a link to your issue? We can vote on it to increase the priority.

9. rmele09

rmele09

I am having the same issue. I am using Snow Leopard. Had a scene running 60-80 fps now it is in the 20's with zero change to the scene. Maximize on Play does NOT fix my issue.

10. renman3000

renman3000

Is this just in Unity 5? There seems to be an array of OS's that have this.

11. rmele09

rmele09

This is only affecting me with Unity 5, Unity 4 had no issues.

Magris and renman3000 like this.
  12. renman3000

renman3000

Hm. No update for a bit then. Seems tho it is rare. I imagine a lot more flags would have been raised otherwise.

13. rmele09

rmele09

my camera.render in profile is 70% but I am not really sure what to do about it

14. Bravo_cr

Bravo_cr

Try to disable VSync in Quality settings. This should improve the framerate

15. jakkovanhunen

jakkovanhunen

I didn't submit the reports publicly as I don't feel that something that is broken should be voted on, it should be fixed.
    But just before GDC I got word that the issue is at least reproducible.
    I think everyone that has these performance issues should report them using the bug reporter tool, as this is the best way to let the Unity devs know there is a problem and how wide spread it is.

16. ElvisAlistar

ElvisAlistar

Unity Technologies

This issue is partially fixed in a patch release.
    Apparently OSX 10.10 sets vsync on by default for the newly created contexts. As we flush drawable for each view that introduced waits for vsync while rendering each view in the Editor.

17. luispedrofonseca

luispedrofonseca

That's cool. But why do you say partially? Is another/better fix coming later?

Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
  18. NicholasGolden

NicholasGolden

Oh? Partially? Hmm hopefully it comes soon it's super annoying! :confused:

19. abziaf

abziaf

seems that the new first pach did now fix this yet. any other solutions guys?

20. Magris

Magris

21. cesarpo

cesarpo

abziaf likes this.
  22. abziaf

abziaf

disabling vsync on mac worked perfectly, thank you

23. AaronC

AaronC

Yosemite + 5.0.1 + Standard assets car scene = 1fps - 5fps with all the hacks like app nap turned off, sync turned off (using quartz debug tools).

What a effin disaster

24. luispedrofonseca

luispedrofonseca

Am I the only one still getting this? The only way to solve it seems to be maximising on play but that's a PITA!

I'm using the latest patch version (5.0.2p2).

25. Mr_Cad

Mr_Cad

When can we expect the actual fix coming?

26. luispedrofonseca

luispedrofonseca

I really don't understand why this isn't fixed yet. Happens on every Mac I've tried... The half-baked solution that they supposedly shipped a few releases ago didn't solve it.

@ElvisAlistar Any updates on this?

27. cesarpo

cesarpo

I think Unity does not give their OSX branch much priority, we have this bug, the one with monodevelop crashing each time trying to debug (been happening for months if not years, not sure if it's completely fixed yet), and another where the UI in the scene view isn't rendering properly. all of them workflow-breaking bugs, that never happened on Windows, in fact I've been using a Windows VM with Visual Studio community, and it's a much better/stable environment.

28. greg-harding

greg-harding

Up until a recent release we had not been able to attach the MonoDevelop debugger on OS X for most of the 4.x and 5.0 releases - so that's a few years now. The latest releases have a fix that finally allows the debugger to attach again without locking up everything in sight. We're still on 10.9, though - not sure about 10.10.

We switched to using Xamarin to edit code ages ago as old MonoDevelop was too frustrating and we couldn't debug anyway. The community-based Xamarin addon to debug Unity started working again recently as well, so long as you remember to detach before you stop the player every time to avoid everything locking up when you're finished.

The UI not appearing in the scene view is a known problem over the last few 5.0.1x and 5.0.2x releases. Full versions didn't have the problem but quite a few patch releases did. It went away but then returned in the 5.0.2pX patch releases again. I think I read in a recent thread that 5.0.2p4 is fixed again. We haven't tested any 5.1 betas so I'm not sure if it exists there.