Search Unity

Performance issues using Mac OS 10.9 (Mavericks) and Unity 4.2.2

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by adslitw, Oct 23, 2013.

1. kahong.chan

kahong.chan

Great to hear that !!! Thanks Joachim !!!!!!

2. Skribble

Skribble

oh Thanks God! i cant wait for that fix!
    Thank you guys for keep this as a priority, couldn't wait less from you!

Cheers!

3. Texaggie96

Texaggie96

4. Essential

Essential

I have been using 4.3.4 today and have found it to be smooth as butter. Thanks so much for the fix you Unity geniuses you! :)

5. CiroContns

CiroContns

Unity Legend

I'm downloading the new build as we speak. I'll try it around on Mountain Lion first (I had to revert), back up everything, then try installing Mavericks again.

If anything, this whole thing taught me to be careful with updates!

6. propapandagames

propapandagames

After two days of testing I can say that the 4.3.4 update looks to be working well for me. I still get the occasional stutter and hang but nowhere near as bad as it was in previous versions.

Hooray!

Last edited: Feb 3, 2014
  7. Snupiman

Snupiman

I have been waiting very long for this fix. Cant say safely it works but I ll tell you by the on of the week whether the freezing a lag issues has disappeared. For now I definitely recommend to upgrade to 4.3.4 as for couple of hours Unity works like a charm again!

8. rtainc

rtainc

For people stuck on 4.3.0, I am able to confirm this only happens when there is an update in the GUI. Instantiating new objects (which adds to the Game Object Hierarchy) causes a small freeze. Changing the position of an object while it's highlighted in the Hierarchy (which edits a value in the Game Object Inspector) causes a small freeze. For people making FPS, the issue is a very high rate of fire that instantiates bullets.

9. Unityaware

Unityaware

I am having this problem.

I am running Unity 4.3.4f1 and OS 10.9.2. The player is almost at a standstill. I reverted back to an old project, when it was still working but it made no difference. I also disconnected everything. Still no difference. Any more suggestion?

10. Essential

Essential

That's strange. 4.3.4 fixed it for everyone to my understanding. Have you tried reinstalling Unity? It's also possible it's an unrelated hanging problem in your project. If you create a new test project with a couple of basic assets, does it still slow down?

11. Unityaware

Unityaware

I am wondering whether it is related to the amount of vegetation, i.e. new grass I added to the scene. It suddenly started slowing down, dramatically, even in the app I created. I then started a new scene, though quite a simple one, and there was no problem whatsoever. Going back to the old scene the problem started again.

I am still new and still trying to get my head around how to create more efficient scenes. I am an illustrator and my ambition is to create an attractive and immersive Virtual Reality environment for the Oculus Rift, rich in vegetation. Here are some of the typical scenes captured in this video, a cross section of the environment to give you an idea of the content. The problem started after I added more grass: http://vimeo.com/93016921

Last edited: May 1, 2014
  12. Unityaware

Unityaware

The scene is about 67.5 mb, the App 714 mb. I attached a couple of screen grabs to give an idea of the complexity of the scene. The picture at the bottom is the one where it hang up and I had to stop my work, because I can no longer manipulate it, which would be a shame after I have been working on it for two months now.
    http://www.3d-art.co.uk/www.3d-art.co.uk/Samples4.html

13. Essential

Essential

Mindblocked- I suggest opening a new thread (or making a post on Unity Answers). I don't think your problem is related to this specific Mavericks issue.

It's hard to say but I think it could be the amount of vegetation and the sheer size of your scene. I'm not familiar with the Unity Terrain Editor so someone else will probably be able to offer better optimization advice than me. :)

14. alienwoods

alienwoods

bump, freezes still occurs in 4.5.3... when i start the game mode

OceanBlue likes this.
  15. zyndata

zyndata

iMac late 2009, Radeon HD 4850 512MB
    OS X Yosemite, el capitan and sierra
    Unity 5.6.1

same story