Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Performance issue after 5.1.3

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by roka, Dec 10, 2015.

1. roka

roka

Hello,

2 days now that i try to figure out if i'm doing something wrong or if the problem come from unity.
    On my profiler i can see the MeshRenderer and MeshSkinning.Renderer using a lot of ressources since the 5.2.3 version. Everything is fine in the 5.1.3

I have created a simple new scene with 4 planes on the version 5.1.3 , 5.2.3 , 5.3.0 and you can see bellow the result.

What happen? again a regression?

Unity5.1.3f1.PNG

Unity5.2.3f1.PNG

Unity5.3.0f4.PNG

Another info link http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/meshskinning-update-spikes.368898/

If someone from the unity staff can check it.

Thank you

diekeure likes this.
  2. Dantus

Dantus

- CPU: ~0.04ms
    - GPU: ~5ms

5.2.3 and 5.3
    - CPU: ~0.02ms
    - GPU: ~1.2ms

According to my understanding, that means it became faster.

3. Dantus

Dantus

This is an issue in the WebGL implementation for the skinning. Skinning uses SIMD in Unity, except for WebGL where SIMD is not yet available. As you didn't post in the WebGL section, I expect you are no using it. If that is true, then you can't draw any conclusions to anything else in Unity.

4. olavrv

olavrv

We are also experiencing a performance drop to about 75% (from 190fps to 145fps) on any (!) unity versions after 5.1.3f1 - also on 5.3.

We have not been able to figure out through profiling what is causing this.

5. Dantus

Dantus

If you check the screenshots, the frame rate was increased from 5.1.3 (2281 fps) to the newer ones (~2750 fps). Using Unity's FPS statistics in the editor is known to not be optimal as a measure for the performance. For actual performance comparisons, it is always recommended to create an actual build and then to connect the profiler to it.

6. roka

roka

Do you have checked the percentage cost on Camera.Render ... ?

7. Dantus

Dantus

The percentage values are not a usable metrics for this kind of comparison. If the performance of other areas was considerably improved, it means the the percentage of the camera rendering is increased.

The percentage value can not be used to compare the performance among different versions of Unity. It helps us e.g. to find out how much of the total time is spent for the rendering or physics, such that we can understand what the most expensive parts in our applications are.

8. diekeure

diekeure

I created a simple test scene based on our game, and got spikes like these:

The frame right next to it:

As you can see this is for transparent geometry, but it happens also for the opaque geometry, and also in Mesh.DrawVBO.

Note: this is not in the editor, but in a webgl build

9. diekeure

diekeure

To rule out that this is a webgl only issue, these are the same spikes in a regular windows standalone build:

(look a the green highlighted spikes)

Made a bug report with case number 754393

10. Dantus

Dantus

@alexvda, that's a performance issue for sure. If I remember correctly, I have seen that there is a confirmed dynamic batching issue for 5.3. Maybe you are seeing exactly that issue as well.
    But there is no relation to the issue mentioned by roka and as such it would make more sense to have a thread just for that and not to mix unrelated topics.