Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Performance drop in VR on Unity 5.2.0 and later

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by olavrv, Oct 2, 2015.

1. olavrv

olavrv

Build with Unity 5.2.0 and later versions have a significant performance drop from steady 75fps on Unity 5.1.3f1 to 65fps on Unity 5.2.0 and later.

Same scene, no changes - only difference is Unity version they are built with.

Running on Windows 8.1, Oculus runtime 0.7.0.0 beta (also tested 0.6.0.1 beta), NVidia drivers 356.04 (recommended for Oculus runtime 0.7.0.0 beta).

V-J likes this.
  2. ccsander

ccsander

Todd-Wasson and olavrv like this.
  3. m3da

m3da

Having the same problem. Scenes seem to have dropped a good 30/40% in performance in regards to fps and shuddering.

Iv'e only just updated to the last 5.1.3f build too.

4. olavrv

olavrv

Just tried 5.3.0b1 - and the performance drop is worse than in 5.2

5. scottb9239

scottb9239

Not good, have you tried the just released today 5.2.1.P3 yet? I can't at the moment, at work and don't have my Gear VR/Project in front of me.

olavrv likes this.
  6. Gruguir

Gruguir

Same poor performances for me with latest Ut patch (p3)

7. scottb9239

scottb9239

I've decided to roll my project back to 5.1.3.P2, the constant performance drops from patch to patch are completely throwing a wrench into my ability to complete this game. With the added performance from the Android 5.1.1 update yesterday on my AT&T Note 4 and going back to the older Unity I feel I might be able to get my Gear VR game complete at 60fps.

8. Todd-Wasson

Todd-Wasson

I'm having lots of problems here too with performance and other issues, and the switching back and forth between Oculus 0.6 and 0.7 trying to find the latest version that works acceptably is not helping. On at least one version of Unity the editor is useless. Hit play, then stop it again with the play button and it hangs on the last frame rendered by the Rift. I feel like I'm using a beta half the time on these patches.

If 0.7 can't be made to work well soon I don't know what I'll do. Last time I checked I didn't see a way for people to even get the 0.6 runtime from the Oculus site anymore. Assuming I can release my product before 0.7 is straightened out, I'm not sure what I can do but host the 0.6 runtime for customers myself and ask them to downgrade if they are running 0.7 when I release.

The only version after 5.2 that I've tried that works ok for VR is 5.2.0f3 (even with 0.7 runtime which it's not supposed to be using..?). Everything after that (including 5.3 beta) is slow, choppy, one eye flickers, etc.. The performance is just too bad with the 5.2 patches. I've tried with the new NVidia graphics driver and without it but I see no difference. I'm trying to decide between 5.2.0f3 with 0.7 runtime or just going back to one of the fast 5.1.x with 0.6 versions.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2015
  9. Todd-Wasson

Todd-Wasson

Comment from an Oculus person in ccsander's thread over there on October 4:

"Thanks, everybody. We are taking a look at this and should have a fix within a few weeks. For now, I would recommend those affected by the extra overhead stay on 5.1.3p2."

olavrv likes this.
  10. Todd-Wasson

Todd-Wasson

I've been sitting here for 15 minutes trying to open my project with 5.1.2p3 and it's just not going. CPU is banging away around 40-50% (quadcore), memory is going up and down but it's not opening. Is there some cache thing I can delete somewhere or should I just sit here for as long as it takes? This is another reason I really don't like mucking around with these patches.

11. Todd-Wasson

Todd-Wasson

30 minutes now. Unity won't even open my project anymore. What now?

Last edited: Oct 11, 2015
  12. scottb9239

scottb9239

I know it may sound counter-intuitive but maybe try deleting the library folder and let the project reimport everything (and if that's taking too long maybe try deleting the lightmap folders too before loading the project again, as they can take ages to convert) and then if it opens, re-bake the lighting once the project reimports everything. I've had to do this a couple of times, managed to get my 5.2+ patch project back to 5.1.3P2

13. Todd-Wasson

Todd-Wasson

Thanks, Scott. I'm modifying some of the assets so I can't really just reimport everything whenever Unity blows up during a version change. I eventually got it working again with that version, but it ate up most of my Sunday. All because I wanted to play for 30 minutes to see if any of the new patches might be of benefit. Never again.

After that last post it got much worse. I shut down Unity and restarted it and waited another 30 or whatever minutes. Finally it loaded and said the asset importer had crashed. And just like that, poof, a good chunk of my user interface stopped working and wasn't even being rendered anymore. I switched back to another version of Unity and waited another 30 minutes for it to load. The "hold on" window would sit there for a good 10 seconds just processing a single image file every time it hit a terrain splat texture. I'm not sure how many times I tried this, sitting there for 30 minutes or so waiting for a different version of Unity to open my project, but it ate up most of the day.

That last version (don't know which one now) wouldn't show my user interface anymore either, so I decided to try 5.1.3P2 after seeing that it has the best Oculus performance so far. I started downloading and weee, I now have 200kBPS download speed from Unity. Restarted the downloader and it was the same thing. "x hours to finish downloading." Great. I said "screw it" and went to the beach for a few hours in a huff. Came back and it was done.

The first time I ran 5.1.3p2, my UI was gone too. Then I switched from scene 1 to scene 2 and back and it fixed itself. Go figure. I thought, "ok, at least it works now."

This has spilled over into today too. Minutes ago, after a couple of hours of work I've realized that 5.1.3P2 is no good either because a function of mine involving GetComponent() in the user interface that has worked fine for probably six months doesn't work anymore. So now a different part of my user interface that displays a bunch of images in an array no longer works at all. And as soon as the "Object reference not set to an instance of an object" pops up, my world space cursor system I wrote for the Rift breaks too, so I can't even click the buttons in my UI anymore. Not to mention the one screen is just gone. So 5.1.3P2 completely breaks my game too.

I'm getting really frustrated with all this and never should have even attempted to try a new patch. Yesterday should have been a simple matter of trying a couple, but each version seems to break something different and it turned into an all day affair that is still going on as I write this now that I've discovered 5.1.3P2 is broken too, just in a brand new way. I'm talking about code that has run just fine for months and months, nothing ground breaking or new here.

So now it looks like I need to just go back to the version I was using originally before I started down the all day long process of trying different patches. I'm done with even bothering to try new patches unless it's absolutely necessary. Unfortunately this is a common experience for me with Unity updates. And then I see the news today in the middle of all this that Unity 5 has deprecated the tree system that my project has relied on for over a year now. Lovely.

For the love all that is holy: Unity, I love you guys, you're brilliant and have a very difficult, challenging job, but please, please work on getting your testing procedures nailed down better. There is stuff slipping through in your patches that is just absurd. This 5.1.3P2 version for whatever reason pauses the editor when my game changes scenes in preview mode. Huh? Why? How did nobody see this? Another 5.1 patch just hung any time you had the Rift plugged in and stopped the editor by pressing the play button. How does this kind of stuff slip through?

I hope I can be forgiven for the occasional rant like this. I'm pretty hot right now and it just feels like it's something new and game breaking every single time I change to a newer Unity version. I feel like I'm not getting anything done a lot of the time and am just chasing my tail. I fully expect things to be this way in beta, but not on the publicly released side.

Anyway, enough of my rant. At this point I can not use 5.1.3P2 and would suggest anyone reading this exercise caution in doing so because it has its own bugs. The versions that so far have worked flawlessly for me are 5.1.2p3 and 5.2.0f3. The Oculus performance on those is very good. Not quite as hot as 5.1.3p2 but it's not too far behind. Good enough.

EDIT: Some time later I've tried 5.1.2p3 which worked fine before. This version is now pausing whenever I change scenes in the game too. I'm at this point struggling to find a version of Unity that even works acceptably. Versions that worked fine before yesterday now have problems they didn't have before. :mad:

Last edited: Oct 12, 2015
  14. Todd-Wasson

Todd-Wasson

I wonder if there's some way some of us might be able to help Unity staff by creating a test project that a couple of them would run every time there's a patch about to come out along with a simple testing list something like this:

1) Open project in the new patch, then close and reopen it in the previous version (or the previous few). Check this, this, and this to see if they still work.

2) Plug in Oculus and press play. Press play again to stop and see if Unity freezes.

3) Etc..

You know? Something like this might be helpful. I'm ranting a lot the last couple days, but it'd be more constructive to at least try to offer solutions. Is there some sort of test project some of us could make or suggest Unity makes that would cover more of the bases than is being done now? I'm sure each programmer does their own testing on their own aspects of Unity development, but the trouble seems to be that programmer A breaks something programmer B did three months ago and it's just missed because that interaction is never tested specifically.

I may be talking out of my bunghole here, I understand this is not easy, but maybe we could help make the situation better. Is there anything I can do? It seems like nearly every version of Unity I've ever tried has some bugs that I have to custom write my way around somehow, but I can't stop what I'm doing and send a 30GB project every time there's a hiccup in Unity and then wait around for it to be patched. I do what I can, if it's easy to reproduce I'll send a bug report, but most of the time it isn't. I can't help but think if they had a couple of internal guys develop some test "game" that utilizes all the various features in a number of ways, some of this obvious stuff that slips through might get caught and fixed, or at least a fix that breaks something else could be delayed until the next patch.

I don't know, I could be totally wrong about all that (I've never been to the company and am by no means a brilliant programmer myself), but I'm just getting frustrated with all this and would like to help somehow if I can.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2015
  15. SamxFisher

SamxFisher

oculus 0.7 beta is the worst, I've tried a simple thing:

stay with the same unity version, uncheck virtual reality supported option on player settings, and use the old unityIntegrationUtility 0.4.4 or whatever the name was, import, place the prefab OVRPlayerController, DON'T touch the scripts and don't build ANY of the scripts in the OVR

now switch from oculus runtime 0.7 to runtime 0.5 or 0.6, use the extended mode and place the unity game window in the oculus screen at full screen, press play, and see how it works completely smooth and you'll see the height maps working (for me are completely flat materials with 0.7 runtime)

the big problem is, for me, the unity build doesn't works with oculus runtime 0.5 or 0.6.

EDIT: All right, I've tried to remove all my scripts, removed lights, deleting all occlusion culling data, redoing it, and nothing seems to work.

just reimported OVRPlayerController 0.4.4 and everything is smooth as hell, the problem is that in editor you won't be able to send the image to oculus if you are at 0.7 oculus runtime cause there is no way to use extended mode in oculus.

so, it seems that the problem is with Virtual Reality Supported option

Last edited: Oct 13, 2015
  16. williamj

williamj

Unity Technologies

Hi everyone,

and thank you so much for your feedback. I know how frustrating this process can be but I assure you we are working our hardest to ensure the best possible VR experience. Here is a summary of our performance testing ideas:

Tracking VR performance is unique and the challenge for me has been deciding on a metric that is useful to developers. The reason for this being is that standard metrics such as average FPS aren't very useful. Dropping even 1 frame can have pretty bad consequences and average FPS doesn't usually catch that.

Therefore a simple metric is to count the amount of dropped frames found in a given amount of sample frames. For example, we might count the amount of frames out of 1000 frames that take over 13.3 milliseconds (or below 75 fps). We see more dropped frames with poor VR performance.

Another metric we like can be found in the test project that @ccsander posted here: https://forums.oculus.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=26574 the measurement ccsander uses is a CPU delay script that simulates a variable CPU load thus giving a good idea of the CPU overhead used in the VR pipeline. The less CPU time you can load into the delay script the worse your VR performance.

Lastly, we have implemented an internal test suite that tracks performance for VR over the many versions of Unity. This way we can catch and compare performance regressions like the one you are experiencing now. I am just rolling the test suite this week but it may take a few days to gather useful benchmarking information on the various versions of Unity. Please be patient while we look into the current performance issues and as we deploy this new test suite. I will be personally upset if another performance regression falls through the cracks.

Let me know if you have any comments or questions.

Thanks,
    Will
    Unity QA

hippocoder, Gruguir, Elecman and 9 others like this.
  17. scottb9239

scottb9239

Thank you Will, look forward to your findings.

18. ChannexDK

ChannexDK

Any news on this? This performance drop is stopping us from sending new demos of our game out and we really want to avoid backtracking to 5.1.

olavrv and StaffanEk like this.
  19. olavrv

olavrv

I have tested on all patch -and beta releases up until today, and the performance has just gotten poorer for each release.

StaffanEk likes this.
  20. guru20

guru20

Bah. This is bad news. I wondered why my fairly simple Gear VR (edit: Google Cardboard) app seemed so choppy (even more baffling... the framerate drops when I turn my head to look at a simpler, lower-polycount part of the scene. Looking at my 20k poly character + some simple terrain = no problem; turning head to look at terrain-only with no additional polys suddenly causes lag)

Does anybody have a recommended release version that is the best balance of stability and performance efficiency for Gear VR (EDIT: Sorry, I meant Cardboard. Probably similar performance specs, though)? (Fortunately, I am very early in the dev process so I can roll this back if I have to...)

Last edited: Nov 9, 2015
  21. olavrv

olavrv

try Unity 5.1.3f1 - this seems to have the best VR performance

22. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Hi Will, thanks for the great clarification. But please ensure that such testing also extends to PS4 (Sony VR) if you don't already - as it might get missed but it's no less important :)

Especially as the specification requires 8ms / 120fps!

23. Todd-Wasson

Todd-Wasson

Olavrv, do you know if that version supports reflection probes in deferred mode? I've been using 5.1.2p3 which doesn't.

24. guru20

guru20

I had a problem with an older version... it was 5.1.something, and it was causing major issues with rendering when camera was a child of a scaled object (this happened because I would use "camera" in lieu of a model's head, to allow more realistic view including body; a workaround is to child the body and the camera separately to an empty, unscaled GameObject, but it was maddening, and it caused, at the very least, skyboxes not to render at all)

25. williamj

williamj

Unity Technologies

Okay here is a quick review of my findings I will provide some of the actual data tomorrow or Friday.

Getting the stats:
    We ended up using a hybrid of the performance metrics above. Essentially we search for the CPU overhead available by using the CPU delay script and counting the amount of dropped frames at various CPU delay times. For example, the test samples 100 frames and if we dropped more than say 5 or more frames we know we've hit our max CPU threshold.

The tests:
    DK2:
    The DK2 test searches for CPU overhead in a scene with several lights and a complex model that has over 2 million tris.

S6 and Note4 (GearVR):

The GearVR test searches for CPU overhead in a scene with a light and some simple models using mobile shaders that have only 2k tris.

Summary of stats:
    DK2: (we are testing on the minimum oculus DK2 specs)

The Rift DK2 has fluctuated around 10.5ms CPU time since 5.1.4f1. At first we thought "Huh, this isn't quite as good as the 12 ms we were getting out of the legacy plugin." And 1.5ms is a lot; you all have a right to be a little irked about the loss of that 1.5ms! But then we took a closer look at our data and some of the optimizations we made when transitioning to native. In the transition we exchanged better tracking latency for some of that CPU time. However, 1.5ms is a lot of time and we have some optimization ideas that will cut down on that CPU overhead time while maintaining the least amount of latency.

S6 and Note4 (GearVR):
    S6
    is currently at 12.9 ms CPU time in our latest build. This time is a bit of a slip from our 13.5ms reported in 5.1 and early builds of 5.2.

Note4 has also regressed in performance slightly going from 11.7ms (5.1 native) to 11 ms (5.2 native).

Now we should be getting more performance out of the GearVR devices since the target frame time is 16.6ms. We are working with the android team to get to the bottom of this.

That being said I highly encourage you to optimize as much as possible and as early in development as you can. There are plenty of resources online to help you all through the mobile optimization process.

26. williamj

williamj

Unity Technologies

I don't have access to the PSVR in my location/office but I will reach out to the Playstation team to ensure that VR performance testing is happening.

hippocoder likes this.
  27. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Thank you very much!

28. Todd-Wasson

Todd-Wasson

Yes, thank you William.

29. williamj

williamj

Unity Technologies

This video is a pretty great place to start for mobile optimizations. SOME info is slightly dated, (we've fixed a few of the bugs he had mentioned) but the video is still incredible valuable!

30. williamj

williamj

Unity Technologies

DK2:
    Version Average CPU time available
    5.1.4f1 10.64666667
    5.1.3p2 10.6 (Manual)
    5.2.2p1 10.625
    5.2.2p2 10.31
    5.2.2p3 10.47333333
    5.2.2p4 10.44
    5.3.0b5 10.382

Keep in mind this particular test had a model that was 2.5mil tris and several dynamic lights

S6:
    Version Average CPU time avail
    5.1.3p2 13.72333333
    5.2.2p2 13.24
    5.2.2p3 13.2
    5.3.0b5 12.985
    5.3.0b6 12.94

Decent performance however, the regression is clear from build to build.

Note4:
    Version Average CPU time avail
    5.1.3p2 11.7425
    5.2.2p2 11.27666667
    5.2.2p3 11.02666667
    5.2.2p4 10.632
    5.3.0b5 11.07

Note4 is the lesser of the two mobile devices and is expected to perform worse. That being said the 0.7ms regression is also apparent from this data.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2015
    Daniel-F, scottb9239 and Todd-Wasson like this.
  31. Todd-Wasson

Todd-Wasson

Excellent information, williamj. Thanks for sharing.

32. olavrv

olavrv

I do not know, we use forward rendering, and reflection probes works fine.

33. Todd-Wasson

Todd-Wasson

Thanks. I know they work in forward rendering because that was done first. There was a period of time there where they didn't have it in deferred mode yet, and I don't remember which patch changed that.

34. ccsander

ccsander

Hi William-

Can you post DK2 numbers using 5.1.3p2? 5.1.3p3 was when the major performance issue on DK2 started occurring for many of us. Glad to see the CPU-delay performance test I developed has been picked by you guys and further enhanced into a regression test! I know Oculus has been looking into this as well as I have several email exchanges going on with them about using this same test.

Thanks!

35. williamj

williamj

Unity Technologies

5.1.3p2 is a bit of an anomoly. My automated performance test fails outright with it (it reports it's running on Win8.1 when I'm actually running on Win10 and gives other bad data) so I have to do the performance tests manually.

When I do it manually I start to notice frames dropping (same scene with >2.5mil tris) at about 10.6ms. Another thing to keep in mind is that this and all results above are from tests using the 0.8 runtime.

After 5.1.3p2, we transitioned from 0.6 to 0.7. Also note that Oculus is aware of some performance regressions from 0.6 to 0.7. So you may have seen some of those regressions when updating to 0.7. Oculus has improved performance in 0.8 and have even more fixes in the pipes for 0.9.

olavrv and Todd-Wasson like this.
  36. Daniel-F

Daniel-F

This may not be directly relevant to what you're working on, but just mentioning that the best performance I've had on Gear VR (Note 4) was actually in Unity 5.0.2p2 with Oculus integration 0.5.1. Better than the 5.1.3p2 native integration, or any version with the 0.6 legacy integration.

37. olavrv

olavrv

I tested Patch 5.2.2p4 the other day just to see if anything has changed, but on our application it was an alltime low FPS. Best performance we get is on 5.1.3f1, any patches after that has lower performance.

38. Daniel-F

Daniel-F

Someone on the Oculus forums mentions:

Todd-Wasson and olavrv like this.
  39. olavrv

olavrv

I did a "non-VR" test today in a build - and found out that the performance drop is not only VR related, I got a performance drop from 194 FPS in 5.3.1f1 to 145 FPS in Patch 5.2.2p4 on a non-VR build.

PS: Performance drop is only in builds, not inside editor

Hope this helps in debugging this issue

Last edited: Nov 23, 2015
  40. scottb9239

scottb9239

@olavrv: Do you mean from 5.1.3f1? (Not 5.3.1f1)

41. olavrv

olavrv

Yes, 5.1.3f1

scottb9239 likes this.
  42. scottb9239

scottb9239

For my Gear VR game, the best version that seems to work for me, is 5.1.4f1, has good performance and the occlusion culling works pretty good. It's a shame that the new versions have dropped in performance so much, but I think this game will be ok being released at 5.1.4. Will see what to do for the next VR game.

43. ccsander

ccsander

Most of you have probably seen this by now, but just in case, 5.2.3p3 (and upcoming 5.3.0p1) complete fixes the performance issues that started with 5.1.3p3. Not only that, but performance is the best it has been since earlier days on 4.6 and old integrations! Well done Unity and Oculus!

44. Todd-Wasson

Todd-Wasson

That's great to hear. Thanks, ccsander. I wasn't aware of that. I look forward to seeing the fast performance again.

45. Todd-Wasson

Todd-Wasson

Confirmed. Just tried it and it's FAST in VR. Really good. Best update in months on that end as far as I'm concerned. Good job, Unity and Oculus! Thanks. :)

Last edited: Dec 15, 2015
    olavrv likes this.
  46. olavrv

olavrv

Music in my ears!

47. Todd-Wasson

Todd-Wasson

Be sure to use Runtime 0.8 and the special graphics drivers. Without the new graphics drivers the view is totally fubared, so it really requires it now.

olavrv likes this.
  48. olavrv

olavrv

Which graphics drivers are these (I have Nvidia GeForce GTX 980 windows 10)?

49. Todd-Wasson

Todd-Wasson

Bah, looks like I might have spoken a little bit too soon. After spending a few more minutes with it, I just ran across an area where the frame rate drops below what it is in 5.1.2p3 and I get stuttering. I'm also getting some rare flickering in the right eye.

It's almost there, definitely a big step ahead, but not quite ready for my project by the looks of it.

50. Todd-Wasson

Todd-Wasson

358.70 driver or later.

To find it in the future, go here https://developer.oculus.com/downloads/ , hit Oculus Runtime for Windows. There's a link partway down the page:

Runtime Changes
    Changes include:

olavrv likes this.