Search Unity

Perforce Helix + native Unity P4 issues

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Dinosaurs, Nov 13, 2015.

1. Dinosaurs

Dinosaurs

Is anyone successfully using Perforce Helix (their relatively new cloud hosting option) with the built-in Unity P4 tools? ie, the tools you see under Editor Settings -> Version Control, not P4 Connect. I was using P4 Connect but found it was causing lag in the editor, so I'd like to switch to the native p4 tools but I haven't been able to connect to my depot. I'm using the same server string as shows up in the Helix Connection Settings page, which worked for connecting with P4 Connect.

The error I'm getting is "This version of your client is not supported. Please upgrade to version 2013.2 or higher." The version of Perforce I have installed on this machine is 2015.1 and I'm using Unity 5.2.2, so I'm pretty certain that I'm up to date.

2. jdrewsen

jdrewsen

Unity Technologies

This is probably because the Unity client is build with a too old p4lib. Seems like we have to update it.

3. Dinosaurs

Dinosaurs

Ah ok, good to know. I'll keep my eye on patch releases I guess...

Thanks!

4. Cascho01

Cascho01

Same story here, but using current Unity 5.3.1f1
    (Another issue in this Unity version is missing status-icons on the assets in project tab.)

@jdrewsen In general, what client would you recommend:
    P4Connect plugin or native p4 tools?

Last edited: Jan 5, 2016
  5. sebas77

sebas77

I would like to know if the native p4 plugin is meant to substitute the .meta file generation. If so how? Does it mean I can get rid of the .meta files once everyone in the team uses the p4 plugin?

6. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

You aren't supposed to get rid of meta files. What gave you that idea?

7. sebas77

sebas77

The fact that it substitute the meta generation in the Version Control menu. From Visible Meta File to Perforce. It's not clear at that point if the meta files will stay or not.

8. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Unity requires meta files regardless and still uses them.

9. sebas77

sebas77

I remember that Unity 4 (or was it Unity 3?) didn't require meta files, maybe they changed it though, I cannot actually find the option to disable them.

10. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I'm pretty sure 4 and 3 needed meta files always, it's how Unity knows information about each file, I don't think Unity can use them. The visible thing merely makes them visible in the project folder so version control can use them. With Perforce option (AFAIK) it just means perforce will find them.

I use perforce, and it always sends my meta files. Maybe I'm doing it horribly wrong. Seems to work though :/

11. sebas77

sebas77

maybe I use meta files for such a long time that I don't remember how it was before. I guess you are right and I just used to use the hidden option before. Meta files are surely needed to share work between team mates. I just wondered if the p4 plugin was doing some magic, but I now believe is just like you said.

12. Cascho01

Cascho01

I am new to VersionControl, made my first tests with Perforce the last three days.
    First of all I tried the betaCloud hosting together with Unitys native perforce implementation which seems not to work.
    It does work with P4Connect plugin but here I encounter a very big issue:
    It starts to check metafiles everytime I start Playmode or change an asset, which takes ~5seconds.
    Even when I disconnect and disable the service, because it reconnects automatically.
    Impossible to work that way.

Don´t you have these issues???

Last edited: Jan 7, 2016
  13. jdrewsen

jdrewsen

Unity Technologies

The only difference between " Visible Meta File" and "Perforce" options is that the perforce plugin is started and you will get the "Windows -> Version Control" menu item enabled to access perforce dialogs plus all the the project browser overlays and actions. So yes, the perforce option needs the .meta files.

14. JakeTurner

JakeTurner

Unity Technologies

Upgrading the p4lib is planned for 5.4 and a 5.3 patch release

15. sebas77

sebas77

I just wanted to add the native plugin actually works fine for me. The only bug I found out so far is that it doesn't check out the modified scenes automatically, I have to do it manually (from the project window)

16. Cascho01

Cascho01

.. because you don´t use the helix cloud service.... :)

17. unwitty

unwitty

Any idea on when the 5.3 patch release will be coming out?

18. leissler

leissler

It was mentioned in here that the Unity client will be built against a current p4lib in an upcoming 5.3 patch release.
    The current patch is (as far as I can see 5.3.2p1) and still no working native Helix connection.
    The native integration has the benefit over P4connect that you can very easily use Smart Merge to intelligently merge scenes and prefabs (which rocks the house btw :).
    Probably its possible to configure smart merge with P4connect too, but I haven't tried out.
    So please, dear Unity Team, make it work with Helix Cloud.

19. JakeTurner

JakeTurner

Unity Technologies

The p4lib upgrade is currently planned for after patch release 5.3.3

20. leissler

leissler

Thanks for the quick update and looking forward to it.
    However, I must admit that the following question popped to my mind: Do you still recommend using the Unity built-in Perforce connectivity, or do you think this way to connect will slowly die out in the face of the P4connect plugin distributed by the Perforce guys?

21. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Been using Perforce a while. I think abusing is the best word for it. I'd love to know how to get perforce to pick up script changes automatically. I use the built in support. When I make changes, perforce really doesn't understand I've made changes to the code, so I have to hunt through and check them out manually.

Am I missing something?

22. MaxB

MaxB

At this point the P4 plugin is extremely laggy to the point of being unusable for rename/copy operations which take around 4-7 seconds. They seem to have fixed some of the other issues that have plagued it but the lag makes it unusable at this point.

23. JakeTurner

JakeTurner

Unity Technologies

I have not experienced that lag. Please can you give me some stats on your project size e.g. number of files in your assets folder. Also how quick are perforce operations if you use the p4v desktop GUI client to directly access the p4 server

24. leissler

leissler

I assume you mean the built-in plugin (by Unity) and not the asset stores P4connect (by Perforce)?

Still no clear answer from Unity: What is the future direction of Perforce connectivity? What ist the "Unity way"? Built-in Unity plugin or Perforces external plugin?

Last edited: Feb 8, 2016
  25. MaxB

MaxB

No, apologies. All of my comments were in regards to P4 connect from Perforce.

26. leissler

leissler

The patch 5.3.3p2 is out but still no Helix conectivity. Any news on this?

27. leissler

leissler

And BTW: The p4connect plugin from Perforce is deprecated and can't be downloaded form the Asset Store any more. I wonder if that means it will be discontinued and the Unity Team License plugin will be the only integration in the future...

28. p4dragon

p4dragon

P4Connect isn't going anywhere, Unity accidentally deprecated it without telling us.
    We just posted a new release 2016.1
    unfortunately 2016.1 has a bug with ssl connections, but otherwise seems to be an improvement over the previous release.

29. leissler

leissler

Good to hear! Thanks for the update.
    Still wondering about that Unity patch release. 5.3.3p3 is out and still nothing found in the release notes.

30. p4dragon

p4dragon

P4Connect is back in the asset store, but the version is now out of date:
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/25523

I just posted a new bug-fix release 2016.1.136.4173
    This fixes problems with SSL connections in the initial 2016.1 release.

Please download this from here until it finally gets pushed to the Asset store and perforce ftp site
    https://swarm.workshop.perforce.com/projects/perforce-software-p4connect/files/main/releases

If you run into problems, please email support@perforce.com.

31. leissler

leissler

Great service guys, thanks!

32. leissler

leissler

Hi,
    what ever happened to this? I just tried the brand new 5.3.4 as well as the 5.4.0b10 and both do not support Helix Cloud. Is there any major problems delaying this or is it just notoriously in the lower third of the issue trackers?

33. Adam-Sowinski

Adam-Sowinski

I have the same problem. When can we expect new version of Perforce lib integrated so we can use Helix Cloud? It is a showstopper for us.

34. Adam-Sowinski

Adam-Sowinski

Checked 5.4.0.b12 still no good news.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2016
  35. Adam-Sowinski

Adam-Sowinski

Is someone working on this?

Last edited: Apr 9, 2016
  36. Adam-Sowinski

Adam-Sowinski

Checked 5.4.0.b13 - no support for Helix Cloud. p4lib still on the old version.

37. Adam-Sowinski

Adam-Sowinski

@JakeTurner any new info when it is going to be integrated? It was not integrated in 5.3.3.

38. mleissler

mleissler

Interesting how there is total silence on this. Are there technical problems integrating p4lib? Or is there a Unity policy not to support Perforce any more? Or does this issue just get pushed to the end of the list every time a new version shall be released? Riddles over riddles ...

39. Adam-Sowinski

Adam-Sowinski

Yes, I think Unity pushes now to use Git LFS. It seems to me that Perforce integration is deprecated :-(

40. leissler

leissler

Isn't this starting to get a little bit ridiculous? Anyone from the Unity team able to comment on this?

41. JakeTurner

JakeTurner

Unity Technologies

The fix is done and it will be in 5.3.6p2 and 5.4.