Search Unity

Perforce and Unity 5 - Mac to windows missing scripts on objects

Discussion in 'Formats & External Tools' started by Beloudest, Jun 3, 2015.

1. Beloudest

Beloudest

Hi, I'm having trouble setting up my Perforce version control to work as expected. Essentially I have setup Perforce on my mac and setup a Workspace to send to my PC which is the central as a test before I expand my team.

I am having trouble with opening the project I committed over to the Central Workstation (PC), when I opened the project for the first time it imported all my assets but none of the associated scripts or materials were correctly linked or should I say just weren't.

I have carefully read lots of docs and forum posts and believe I have done everything correct??? Here's what I did: before I committed the files from my Mac I setup the P4Connect Asset from Perforce along with Perforce. On the asset store page it specifically says no pro subscription is required. I setup my Version Control Mode to Visible Meta Files and Asset Serialisation to Text.

I then committed my entire Asset Folder and Project Settings folder, pulled onto PC and opened the project after which it did a full import of everything. None of my scenes are in any useable state, all script links are gone and also materials not assigned it seems.

Can any one please point out whats wrong, I have noticed that there is a grayed Version Control mode in Editor Settings for Perforce but I assumed that it would still be ok according to info around.

Can someone please please help me out?

2. jdrewsen

jdrewsen

Unity Technologies

"I have noticed that there is a grayed Version Control mode in Editor Settings for Perforce but I assumed that it would still be ok according to info around. " That setting is only used for the official Perforce integration done by Unity (requires pro or team license) and is not used by P4Connect (which is done by Perforce). I'll try to make one of the P4Connect devs aware of this thread.

3. Beloudest

Beloudest

Thanks for clearing that up. SO in regards to "Version Control Mode set to Visible Meta Files", is this what should contain all the links when transferred, maybe I'm missing a vital file but I assumed they are what control everything?

Does asset serialisation make a difference?

Also my method of creating the project on the PC could be wrong possibly, I transferred the files from into a empty folder based on Ignoring files and folders in this list below, i then opened unity and found the folder which had the Project settings and Assets folder only inside and hit open, was i meant to create a Project folder first maybe and bring the assets into that? I will have another play today, thanks for chipping in :)

# directories
    bin
    obj
    Library
    Temp
    Obj
    Build
    library
    temp
    build
    Bin

# files
    *.suo
    *.user
    *.csproj
    *.unityproj
    *.pidb
    *.booproj
    *.sln
    *.userprefs
    sysinfo.txt

4. jdrewsen

jdrewsen

Unity Technologies

I guess you have already looked at the Unity manual and any docs going along with P4Connect?

This is the Unity docs : http://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/perForceIntegration.html

Anyway the gist if it is:

1, Create and sync an empty workspace on your computer.
    2, Move your Unity project folder into the workspace
    3, Delete library and temp folders
    4, Add Assets and ProjectSettings to the workspace and submit

Now you should be able to checkout a new workspace on another computer and get the project.

5. Beloudest

Beloudest

Ok going to try this, quite a large project at the moment. I assume its ok to do step 4 via the P4V app as well as the P4Connect? I missed step 3 so this could be it.

6. Beloudest

Beloudest

Oh I give up, before I lose another day and become suicidal.

So I decided to use a small test project and create new workspace space, downloaded the p4 Connect asset and got this error.

"Loading script assembly "Assets/P4Connect/Editor/P4Connect.dll" failed!"

It just doesn't work now. I deleted the other project from the previous workspace and kaboom everything is screwed up it seems! All I want to do is team work a project.

This whole process has been way too hard and ambiguous, probably a little stressed with other things I need to do.

When are those team licenses for personal users on the way? My friends are learning and can't afford pro licenses.

7. Beloudest

Beloudest

Ok moan over, Im going to try Plastic SCM see if i'm more lucky this time.

8. jdrewsen

jdrewsen

Unity Technologies

I've pointed the p4connect guys to this thread. They are in US timezone so it will take a while before they can reply.

In the works I believe... can't tell when.

9. Beloudest

Beloudest

10. jdrewsen

jdrewsen

Unity Technologies

That should be OK... but the P4Connect devs is the ones who can tell you that for sure.

11. Beloudest

Beloudest

Well I've successfully got Plastic SCM running, even got it running on AWS like a true pro lol. I would think about going back P4 as it's free to use on personal, I can't use the Plastic SCM plugin as I'm on personal eidtion. I'm considering Pro but my friends won't as they won't want to shell out the cash just to learn etc, plus I'm running my budget on thin air too, credit card is filling up with Asset debts. So I'm kind of stuck with a good system that won't work to it's potential. I can still use the SCM app Macplastic though.

If I can get P4Connect running again I would consider going back?

Cheers

12. Beloudest

Beloudest

Whats the deal with these files please?

*.user
    *.csproj
    *.unityproj
    *.sln
    *.userprefs

Ive been able to send these over into my repo and open in another project with no troubles, I've seen people recommend to ignore these files. Any tips? Should I ignore them?

My ignore list is currently : Library folder and Temp Folder

13. jdrewsen

jdrewsen

Unity Technologies

It shouldn't be an ignore list but an include list of: Assets folder and ProjectSettings folder only.

14. jdrewsen

jdrewsen

Unity Technologies

I've told the P4connect devs about this thread already so your best bet now is probably to contact them directly yourself on their forum/email or whatever they use for support.

15. Beloudest

Beloudest

Ok cheers, good to know.

16. p4dragon

p4dragon