Search Unity

PBR Realistic Animals packs

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by mikolajspy, Jun 29, 2015.

1. mikolajspy

mikolajspy

Hi,
    I've just started working on realistic animals packs.
    I'll be making one animal per pack, so you'll be able to choose what do you want. I'm planning to make animations to all of them. They won't have AI because I'm not programmer.
    Currently I've made horse, which needs to be animated and frog, almost ready. It has around 2,1k tris and 2048x2048 Albedo and Normal map, has breathing/idle, walking, short jumping, and will have long jumping animations. Would you need something like it? I'm not sure about price, maybe you tell me how much would you pay for frog like this? Any comments, critique and feedback will be appreciated. If you'd like to have some animal, also let me know and I'll see what I can do :)
    Here are frog screens:
    Frog01_WIP1.jpg Frog01_WIP2.jpg Frog01_WIP3.jpg

FreakForFreedom likes this.
  2. Whippets

Whippets

best selling feature is how they move. All the asset-store animals move horribly and are far too low poly

3. l0cke

l0cke

Agree.

4. mikolajspy

mikolajspy

Turns out that I'm not good animator (or rather not animator at all) all I can is to make simple idle animation and basic walking. Would it be enough if models were good? You can find someone else to make animations or make them yourself. I'm thinking about 3$ for this little frog with two basic animations I've managed to do (I will show them soon)

5. bizilux1

bizilux1

the thing is, very little people buy assets that are on their own. it needs to be in a pack in order to sell... so i suggest making a pack of animals, or else it wont really sell at all

6. one_one

one_one

Compared to the texture resolution the mesh is pretty low-res.

7. Serinx

Serinx

That's true, but would you really need a high poly mesh for a little frog? Could always scale down the texture.

8. mikolajspy

mikolajspy

I figured I need to learn how to create nice, realistic animations, only models are indeed quite useless, so I put this series on hold for some time until I learn it :)
    Meanwhile I'll continue my Photoscanned assets, I'll make new threads soon ;)

one_one likes this.
  9. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

What type of mesh editing can be done to the models after scan is complete? I only ask because I'm unfamiliar with the process, and because there are some noticeable edge/vertex pinching on the frogs "knees".

I think 'on hold' is a good idea @mikolajspy . Especially because these animals are quadrupeds and creating animations for them after the fact requires a level of dedication towards that specific asset - I don't think devs who are going to the asset store to get something to save them time would want to address shortcomings of an asset after they have already purchased.

Alternatively you could probably partner with an animator to get a good base set of animations for each animal. Then put 5-10 animals in a pack and you and your partner can split the proceeds.

10. mikolajspy

mikolajspy

@theANMATOR2b frog was made with usual box modeling and I've apllied couple of different photos on it :)
    I'll get back to this project sometime in future ;) Meanwhile check out my other threads :)

11. BornGodsGame

BornGodsGame

The frog will be an issue. You need to have it either be big enough to be a main character in a game, so your tris are fine, but you need animations.

or else you need to make it low poly and with just a couple of animations ( idle and jump) so it could be a nice atmosphere addition to games. There are a couple of asset packs that include frogs in this category.

A high poly frog without a bunch of quality animations splits the difference and probably wouldn´t find many happy customers. Either the high poly crowd will want a ton of animations, or the other crowd will want much lower tris..

Just my opinion. but for a couple bucks, I will buy it and use tools to squeeze down the tris.

Other feedback.. it looks great.