Search Unity

Patch 5.0.1p2

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Kronnect, Apr 24, 2015.

1. Kronnect

Kronnect

I can't make my project run with patch 5.0.1p2 with WebPlayer (Safari / MacOSX).
    I have just updated Unity, rebuild project, reboot machine and same: Failed to initialise content (message from WebPlayer). I have checked that this time that WebPlayer v5.0.1p2 is installed with the assistant (I can see it on Internet Plug-ins folder).

It worked with 5.0.1f1.

Has anyone have the same problem with patch 5.0.1p2?

2. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

I think patch has some strange issues

3. unity839

unity839

This is stated in the release notes of 5.0.1 patch 2:
    "
    • (none) - WebPlayer: Workarounds for new Chrome, where NPAPI is disabled by default. "
    But I don't understand what that means. What is the workaround? How do we publish for webplayer in chrome v42+?

4. cheesemaster

cheesemaster

Apparently you can't publish to web-player using patched versions of unity, and need to wait for the fixes to appear in the next final update. If this is the case, I am one of those that unfortunately needs a bug fix in those patches in order for my web-player project to work at all. Does anyone have any idea if the next final release that includes these fixes will be a matter of days or months as every other aspect of our project is ready for a near imminent launch. Should we be rewriting all of our code or hanging on a bit longer? even a rough idea would go a long way.

many thanks.

5. Baste

Baste

Webplayer is dying. The change in chrome is because they're going to permanently drop support for most plugin frameworks - like Java applets, the Quicktime plugin, Silverlight, and Unity webplayer.

The workaround is to not use webplayer, but WebGL. WebGL isn't quite as fast as the Web Player (yet), but since your users will have trouble running your apps if you're on Web Player (and will be unable to do so if they're on Chrome in the near future), you don't have much choice.

The good thing about WebGL is that it won't require users to download a plugin - so you'll have reduced download times, and users won't have to click that "I want to run this plugin" button that will show up on all platforms. Unity would probably have loved to get one more year of WebGL development before this happened, but that's life.

6. Kronnect

Kronnect

@Baste not just Unity. We also need another 3-6 months to fine-tuning our product on top of WebGL. Not sure is someone has been sleeping on the tree but this change from Google is going to hurt a lot and despite they saying don't do evil, sometimes I hear the devil laughing behind my back.