Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Particle Dynamic Magic 2.1 - Ultimate Decal, Spline & Shuriken advanced effects framework

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by nasos_333, Apr 15, 2014.

1. nasos_333

nasos_333

2. nasos_333

nasos_333

UPDATE:

Another demo for v1.5, Angry Bots implementation of Fire & Ice systems

Angry Bots PDM demo:
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/79230236/PDM15/ANGRY_BOTS/ANGRY_BOTS_PDM1.5_DEMO.html

Make butterflies take to the air with spray, melt ice in corridor with fire, push fire back with ice thrower before corridor entrance (particle to particle collision) and spray fire and ice on the moving bots.

Use the right mouse button to fire the weapon with Particle Dynamic Magic systems and the GUI buttons to cycle weapon type.

Chain lightining is also in the demo. The wood burn sample is in the room beyond the first corridor.

3. nasos_333

nasos_333

Spray and batch in real time until a number of particles is reached (around 35-40 fps while spraying), then real time batching stops (and goes to 50+fps)

Real time batching is reenabled when something dynamic happens to the particles , like move or change size/melt away like in the pic below, etc

UPDATE:

I have finished the batching system for the gameobject particles and now it dynamically batches objects when it is needed, in static case (particles dont change size, position etc) it will stop the real time batching and keep the last batched mesh, then resume the real time batching when dynamics apply again.
    This new dynamic batching system will come in v1.5.1

4. nasos_333

nasos_333

Last edited: Aug 5, 2014
  5. nasos_333

nasos_333

One note for the new v1.5

The Refraction 2-3-4 shaders (for Unity Pro) should not be assigned a texture in the MainTexture property.

Refraction 1 shader can have a texture.

6. nasos_333

nasos_333

UPDATE:

I am working on 2D compressible water for the next version. The goal is to mix surface interaction techniques with full particle grid (not just long rectangles).

7. nasos_333

nasos_333

UPDATE:

The new 1.5.1 version will contain a new States transition demo, where particles will change shape and type in place. Working on it now.

Also a new static and dynamic batching system to reduce draw calls, which will make a big difference when Refraction is used.

8. nasos_333

nasos_333

UPDATE:

I am now working on an extra batching mode, that will batch pool items under bones in a single skinned mesh. This will probably come in v1.5.2, after v1.5.1 is out with the current mesh based batching.

9. nasos_333

nasos_333

UPDATE:

The new version (1.6) will contain many new features and additions

- New batching system for gameobject particles, reduce draw calls to a minimum for use in mobile.

- New transition manager feature to allow in place transitions between force manipulators, so complete particle systems can be transitioned, including manipulation. New sample scene will be included, showcasing in place state changes with the new force state change system.

- The attractor can now end particle life on demand on affected particles, which allows subemitters to emit on demand.

Other additions
    - Prefab Manager will reset the scroll position after moving to new category

10. nasos_333

nasos_333

UPDATE WIP:

Another addition for v1.6 Transition Manager has been added, now it is possible to change particle system per transition step for complete control. Demo scene has also been added.

11. nasos_333

nasos_333

UPDATE:

Version 1.6 has been submitted at the store !!!

Brings new static and dynamic batching to gameobject particles (for minimizing draw calls and dramatically increased speeds in refractive particles).

Also new Transition features (transition between different particle types, including gameobject particles, define different forces per transition step etc), upgrades to the Prefab Manager and much more

The pack will also go on sale this week (submitted the new price on Monday) and will be 30% off for a limited time. Make sure to grab it while the discount is on and also make sure to leave a review to get GI Proxy pack for free :) (offer lasts until end of August).

A new demo on dynamic transitions between dynamic states is also ready and i will upload it soon. It showcases the ability to transition particles in real time among various emitter types and change the particle dynamic to any other system during the transition in a smooth way.

Now i will be working more on Spline features (collisions, extra real time behaviors like snapping etc) and start on DX11 (the base for Turbulence and Image emission is already working). The DX11 implementation progress will depend a lot on the sales, the faster the sales the faster DX11 will arrive.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2014
  12. nasos_333

nasos_333

Ice to energy spell (will be energy to ice in the final form :), just have to switch particles)

Here is a small demo of the spells i am working on based on Particle Dynamic Magic transitions. I have added some extras in the transition module (v1.7) to better handle the motion and reach of target.

Also i am flooding with new ideas about extra options for the transitions, i have added 3 new features just the last 3 hours :) (speed, size growth and mask per step) and have planned at least another four ( let loose, keep previous, change duration per step and loop on/off option).

Webplayer - spell progress:
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/79230236/MY_RPG_SPELLS/PDM_MY_RPG_SPELL1.html

UPDATE:

More options have been added to the Transitions Manager. Now almost every transition feature can be controlled per step for total control of the effects.

All new per step properties:

Speed
    Size growth
    Mask per step
    Let loose on mesh
    Keep previous particle system alive
    Change duration
    Remove gravity
    Reach size time

Also added an option to stop the looping motion so the effects will cycle targets only once.

Now i am working on a distance based extra speed factor that will make particle travel faster (or slower if needed) towards targets further away.

Also a new target manager has been developed, to automate the assignement of targets to the transition manager, for easilly setup of spells in an actual game.

A new demo is coming soon, showcasing the new spell system

Last edited: Sep 2, 2014
  13. nasos_333

nasos_333

Here is the new transitions demo for multi freeze spell effect (or multi burn or anything else if adjusted).

It is still heavy work in progress and misses:

1. the control of animation and auto disable of skinned mesh to complete the illusion of breaking to pieces,the next demo will have these in as well

2. A delay in initialization based on settle time for particles (that is why one of the characters appears frozen at first)

What do you think of the effect so far ? Any suggestions would be most valuable.

Multi spell targeting & freeze effect, WIP demo:
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/79230236/MY_RPG_SPELLS/PDM_MY_RPG_SPELL2.html

EDIT: Just realized that while the demo works on my end, it has some issues in the texturing in the exported webplayer, I will check it out and fix tomorrow :). Probably wont load or assign the dual shader right for some reason.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2014
    bram_Indonesia likes this.
  14. bram_Indonesia

bram_Indonesia

You could not give me the plugin dynamic particle magic free to learn, I really need to make my game. I am a new member please ......

15. nasos_333

nasos_333

UPDATE:

The new mesh creation mode is progressing very well, it is fully dynamic and will follow the spline motion during gameplay.

I am now experimenting with various modes, like a pre-grow and redefine per motion and much more

I could also use the system to create growing plants that can also be interactive without the need of colliders other than the ones i use for the splines already.

So many possibilites :). This will defintly make it to a separate pack too, since the pack has already gone far beyond particles only scope.

I now count 5-6 packs in one :), i hope to find the time to release indivisually soon.

16. nasos_333

nasos_333

Create/paint cities and destroy them as seen fit !

Coming soon in PDM v1.7, together with the new Transition Manager features, Multi targeting spell system and standalone Dynamic Batching.

New features of Particle Dynamic Magic v1.7 include:

- Create/paint cities and destroy them as seen fit. Generate city plans from pictures and let them fly away from erruptions, black holes or tornados.

- New Transition Manager features for complete control of particle systems, transitions and targets

- Multi targeting spell system with attribute injection features (e.g. freeze and break targets and much more)

- New standalone mode for Dynamic Batching, now can be used without a particle system for any object pool

- Mesh generation along splines

Make sure to grab the pack while on sale, soon will revert back to the normal price.

17. IanStanbridge

IanStanbridge

Sounds like a great update, when are you planning to release it, that dynamic batching for gameobjects sounds useful. That transition manager sounds great to. Can you use the spline mesh as a target for other paritcles too ? I would love to be able to have a moving plasma spline which was emiting fireballs from its surface and have explosions or other forces be able to disconnect the fireballs from the spline and then have them fly back onto the splines surface when the explosions had ended.

18. nasos_333

nasos_333

The update does indeed unlock the full potential of the Transition Manager, and fixes some problems with masks it had before as well, plus adds the ability to apply force states per target dynamically, so it becomes much more than a simple transition, since you can now send particles to a target and enable an exploding force there and regroup them in source with an attractive or turbulant one etc.

I have support for the spline itself, the mesh is not yet there, but it is a great idea to have that option, i dynamically add meshes to the manager, so it is definitly possible.

The mesh generation is something i may not have in v1.7 though, i have the basics down, but is not optimal yet and i am not sure i can do it properly for 1.7, i have it in features though since it is a possibility if all goes well.

Mesh support can open many new effects, so i would rather delay it a bit for v1.8 and get it perfect if i dont manage to squeeze it properly for 1.7.

If i decide i cant pull off the mesh generator, i will release it very soon, since the other systems are ready and tested extensively. There are two major gameplay related scripts that can provide targets to the Transition system easilly from the game and schedule effects like freeze with injected scripts. Plus another that will create a pool of batched objects automatically and apply dynamic batching as you instantiate them from a prefab, this can allow spells that accumulate staff to dynamically be added to the batching.

All that need some good documentation though, so this will take some time to get done.

As always, if you want them faster, i can provide the new scripts for Transitions and Batching and a cleaned up scene that showcases the new features very fast through a dropbox link.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2014
  19. nasos_333

nasos_333

Card game borders, the sky is the limit with Splines. All dynamic and changing real time (both splines and particles)

Some of the new WIP effects and libraries i am working on for PDM v1.8

Freeze / burn effects will also get a step more advanced (or max advanced :) ), by allowing texture mask manipulation in real time to make sprayed ice stick properly locally on procedurally changing meshes case. I have started working on this script as well, so if all goes well should not be long before it arrives.
    And the city painting sample is also going very well (paint cities with image based positioning and have them fly away in tornados and mass disasters), i have solved some issues with distances (i had hardcoded a constant and did not bahave well in smaller scales, now is a variable to change based on desired scale) and is going forard fast as well.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2014
  20. nasos_333

nasos_333

UPDATE WIP:

Dynamic Spline Targeting of enemies, dynamic duel with enemy spells.
    (Progress - 80%, the spline grow to target and motion script is WIP)

The goal is to grow splines towards the target and have them follow. The target could also be another effect ending, so the resulting duel dynamics in the pic should be possible.

The effect will come in v1.8 of PDM.

21. IanStanbridge

IanStanbridge

Sounds like a great addition. Will it also be able to handle color blending along the splines as well ? For example can you fire two different fireballs and have it blend their colours when they collide ?

nasos_333 likes this.
  22. nasos_333

nasos_333

That sounds interesting, if you mean the particles that are produced by the collision, currently they keep the parent particle color, but since they are subemitters, i could perhaps add extra control for their color, based on the opposing particles. I will see how this could be handled the most efficient way and add to the to do list.

I have done some progress on the system as well, now the spline is automatically instantiated and extended towards the target in real time and works like a charm. Now i need to add some cool inverse kinematic motion (and noise) to the other nodes, as the final node follows the target to complete this effect step.

Also i may attach an extra particle to surround the spline (which will be like the chain lightining effect), for extra subtle energy paths outside the main one.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2014
  23. nasos_333

nasos_333

UPDATE:

The new grow to target spline mode is finilized and I am currently working on the proper motion of the energy beams, which is rather challenging as the effect should be completly dynamic, but is getting closer.

Also some work has been done on DX11 side, that system is very challenging as well to handle, so i may release some standalone components first and then integrate with the overall system. This could cover the need for millions of particle in image based emission etc for example, sooner than the complete system will be released.

Also has the benefit that i will be including two options in DX11, a complete new DX11 system, plus DX11 option for faster calcs in the current system. More options is better i guess, so i decided to go that way.

The DX11 system will be totally free and open source for all existing Particle Dynamic Magic customers of course.

The pack price may be increased when v2.0 releases, since DX11 is a huge lot of work to get right, so i will make sure to have a "Core" version without DX11 for a lower price at that point.

24. nasos_333

nasos_333

New "Mystery Rings" icon pack FREE for all Particle Dynamic Magic reviewers !!!!
    (Big number of unique ring icons, in both Transparent and Pre defined backgrounds, with multiple variations)

Hi everyone,

As a big thanks to the supporters of the PDM pack, i decided to have a new offer for all Particle Dynamic Magic reviewers (including the new bundle pack that contains PDM).

Every reviewer of either of the two packs (http://u3d.as/9xk or http://u3d.as/71m) is eligible to receive my new "Mystery Rings" icon pack, available soon.

Everyone interested, please let me know and post the name by which the review was done here and i will send the icons pack as soon as it is ready (before it hits the store).

Thanks again for the help in making this pack grow and evolve so far beyond its original scope :)

The icons pack is WIP and will also evolve with free extra content like every ARTnGame pack. The offer will last until the end of October.

PDM WIP UPDATE:
    The mesh mode now has proper UV mapping (or very close at least :)) and will be upgraded with even more cool features, since the mesh creation opens up a lot of new opportunities

v1.8 Upgrades so far:

- Enchanced functionaliy in Dynamic Batching system (DONE)
    - Procedurally shaped particles and new shaders (DONE)
    - Card game border collection, various pre-made shapes to choose from and adjust. (95% DONE)
    - Paint and destroy cities (90% DONE)
    - Mesh tube creation along spline, dynamic in real time (80% DONE)
    - New complex spell effects, with new scripts for automatic "grow to target" and procedural motion for splines (70% DONE)
    - New mode to make particles stick to specific vertices (by collision of a spray system for example), for total precision on procedural objects (must have equivalent colliders). (95% DONE)

and i am also thinking that i can now add a fully dynamic (or static if needed so in the game) 3D decal system, but i am not sure i will have time to do it for v1.8

This will offer a totally new way to handle decals, for one they can be totally randomized at every level load, follow physics on creation and even follow the objects they are created on !!! :) Or even fly away from the point of creation for extra flavor.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2014
  25. IanStanbridge

IanStanbridge

Sound like some great updates , regarding directx 11 acceleration I actually think it would actually be more powerful if only some of the calculations were done on the gpu. In a lot of cases a cpu actually provides better results for dynamic effects. Most fully compute accelerated paticle systems are great at controlling lots of particles but can't often do very much with them. If you instead used particle dynamic magic running on the cpu to control 200 particles how ever you wantted. You could then create a gpu acceleated particle type that instead of rendering 1 particle at that positon rendered 100 near it and used a gpu noise function to random the movement.

Combining the two you would get the benefit of lots of efficiently renderered particles combined with efficient convincing dynamics.

In effect think of the current particle dynamic magic system as a way of guiding the movement of other particle systems so you can combine the benefit of both.

26. nasos_333

nasos_333

Mixing the two would indeed give very interesting results and love the idea of expanding on the particle number like that.

The problem is that initially i did try to guide the GPU particles with a Shuriken system, but the result was much faster when i did it all in the GPU. I dont recall specifics, but from the early testing the benefit when guiding through Shuriken was not nearly as big.

Of course that was unoptimized code and the very first attempt to mix the two, so i was probably doing many things wrong (in an unoptimized kind of way), so the next step is to try an optimize what i already have and see if i can get a bigger benefit. The perfect plan would be to manage to accelerate both my calcs and particles, while still using Shuriken as the intermediate system. If i manage that would be by far the most balanced and compatible solution.

27. nasos_333

nasos_333

New WIP catalog PDF with all PDM effects

UPDATE:

I am currently working on some new weather effects and modes. I am not sure yet if these will go in the pack whole or parts or will be made into a new pack (that will require PDM to run).

Suggestions are welcome :)

Also i am working on a complete catalog of PDM effects, sample pic above and this may also inlcude small image based tutorials later

All ARTngame assets are -30% off ON SALE for a limited time. Dont forget to grab them while it lasts :)

LINK - Particle Dynamic Magic: http://u3d.as/71m (-30%)
    LINK - Particle Dynamic Magic Bundle: http://u3d.as/9xk (-30%)

Last edited: Nov 15, 2014
  28. nasos_333

nasos_333

New dynamic mesh particle shaders, Shader Forge compatible

Growing splines

Procedural Mesh emission in sprayed positions

Masked Gameobject emission, combined with particles, gravitate back option & much more

Particle Dynamic Magic v1.8 Update:

An update of the new systems that are coming in v1.8

- Growing splines towards a target and target follow.
    The system is already able to create splines towards a pre-defined target on the fly and follow. Now i am working on making points follow smoothly as the end point moves, to emulate elastic motion etc. A number of modes will be available to control the effect. Also many more effects like gorund conformation etc can be applied, that may come in v1.8 or later in 1.9.

- Advanced mesh emission that will allow emission in sprayed positions of procedural meshes and Integration with the procedural pages of Mega Book.
    The system is already working and is beeing optimized. Also there is a plan to include a gameobject emission mode, i will try to have that in v.1.8 also.

- Advanced mesh particle rotation mode, for effects like volumetric particle clouds etc.
    The system is ready (is also included in Sky Master).

- Collection of new mesh shaders for particles.The goal is to have every shader be ShaderForge compatible, so most will be made with this system.

- Collection of spline borders in various shapes for card game like effects.
    These effects can be dynamic, let particles fly away or change in shape on the fly. The Transitions manager allows particles to move between cards and many more effects are possible.

- New image emission modes, 'gravity' to bring particles back to the image source after real time manipulation, better real time image changing control and more.

- Many more updates & samples (e.g. city destruction).

One more feature that will come in v1.8 is spline collision detection. I have already created the base script and expanding with some extra features.

Also the batching utility will no longer have the 65K vertices limitation and will allow any number of objects to be batched in a single script. Many new batching features will also allow better control of the system, for example the position check for the dynamic mesh re-creation will now have a threshold to avoid catching small movements and many more enchancements.

All systems are compatible with Shuriken, thus any Shuriken based particle system and asset can be used in combination. Alsoready samples will be included in order to reduce the setup time or even zero it, like with all current effects.

After v1.8 the focus will be in bringing DX11 support (as option) for the effects, with ultimate goal the support for millions of particles. Reviews and scores on the asset will help version 2.0 come much faster, so please remember to leave a review to help the pack grow !!!

DX11 option will be free update for every current PDM user.

29. nasos_333

nasos_333

A sample of the work in progress for the new Masked Mesh Gameobject Emission mode.

Now gameobjects can be emitted from any mesh with a mask, thus having absolute control over how and where they will be spread. There is a very large number of ideas i am working with for extra detailed control over the emission based on the mask features as well. The base effect is already working great.

http://i.imgur.com/VIcfFcs.png

The original model comes from the amazing Heroic Creatures 2 pack (PROTOFACTOR)

30. nasos_333

nasos_333

UPDATE:

I just had a break through this week with my batching system, i managed to make it fully multithreaded and add even more optimizations on top of that and is now blazing fast and will open the way for a big number of new possibilities.

The system will also be included in the upcoming v1.8 as it is now stable and working great.

31. nasos_333

nasos_333

UPDATE:

The multithreaded system is now working great, some minor issues have been fixed and has been tested extensively, plus more features have been added to make it even more versatile.

The system will enable all new usuability in gameobject particles, since the multithreaded nature allows for batching large ammounts of data without a large impact in the main thread.

Many functions have also been added for easier external control, like the Restore() function that will de-combine meshes and allow modifications on the fly.

A new mode has also been added, that allows static gameobject particles to build up, bringing another huge performance boost when the sprayed particles need to stay in place and are not dynamic. This will be the base for the new Dynamic Decal system, which is a system to add decals on the fly or pre-defined from projected/painted positions.

The Decal and Dynamic Batching systems will eventually be available as separate packs as well.

32. nasos_333

nasos_333

Feather & Fire effects Webplayer Demo (WIP) -
    Masked Gameobject particle emission from skinned mesh, for absolute freedom in particle control. Coming soon in Particle Dynamic Magic v1.8
    Webplayer Link: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/79230236/PDM 18/PDM 18 DEMO 1.html
    This is a WIP demo of just a few of the new systems in the upcoming Particle Dynamic Magic v1.8 update. It showcases the new Masked mesh emission that uses Gameobject particles for total control and the emission from multiple transforms (fire sample).

The Gameobject particles can be controlled like any other gameobject, so this enables scripted, animated and any other kind of particles, emitting from the numerous PDM sources (procedural - skinned - simple mesh, transforms, painted or projected positions, propagated positions etc) and affected by all available forces, turbulence and particle controls (Shuriken, transition manager etc)

Last edited: Jan 10, 2015
  33. nasos_333

nasos_333

Last edited: Jan 17, 2015
  34. nasos_333

nasos_333

UPDATE:

I have now polished most of the features to come to v1.8 and the release is getting closer. One of the effects (spray stick to procedural mesh) will be moved to v1.9, since it requires some extra optimization time to get perfect and i think is best to perfect it before release.

35. MornFall

MornFall

This plugin seems awesome !
    Before i go and get it : Unity 5 tested and approved with it ?

36. IanStanbridge

IanStanbridge

Feydwin since Unity 5 isn't out yet no asset can really say whether it is approved for Unity 5 yet. Especially as the latest beta's seem to be braking and fixing things in equal measures. I tested this with a previous beta and it mainly works but you have to delete a few scenes that were made for the 1.5 version for it to compile properly.

37. nasos_333

nasos_333

I have already two customer cases that made it work with Unity 5, there is only one file to change (the script handling the advanced collsions and spray) and i have the changes required ready, so i can send the file immediately for use, in email or PM.

I plan to include it in the next update in a zip file too, but this will come a later.

Everything else has been reported to work fine in Unity 5.

Note that the pack needs some tags for certain functionality, described in the manual. An automated tag adder will come in v1.8 too (it is in the testing phase). The tag requirements are same in Unity 4 and 5.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2015
  38. nasos_333

nasos_333

Hi Ian,

I have since got feedback from two cases in Unity 5, fixing the collisions file that broke the functionality. If you want the new file, let me know and i will PM a link asap.

Also Unity was kind to provide Unity 5 for testing, so i will have Unity 5 to test and adapt the pack further soon :) and check everything first hand.

39. nasos_333

nasos_333

Here is a quick fix for Unity 5.

Quick fix for ParticleCollisionsPDM.cs (in Particle Dynamic Magic/Version 1.5/scripts/propagation folder)

I think the line10 issue should be resolved automatically upon importing the script, but i am not sure.

Change:
    Code (csharp):
    1. L10   p11 = this.gameObject.particleSystem;
    2. to
    3. L10   p11 = GetComponent<ParticleSystem>();
    6. L17   collisionEvents = new ParticleSystem.CollisionEvent[1][];
    7. to
    8. L17   collisionEvents = new ParticleCollisionEvent[1][];
    11. L38   private ParticleSystem.ParticleCollisionEvent[][] collisionEvents;
    12. to
    13. L38   private ParticleCollisionEvent [][] collisionEvents;
    16. L207 collisionEvents[j] = new ParticleSystem.CollisionEvent[p11.safeCollisionEventSize];
    17. to
    18. L207 collisionEvents[j] = new ParticleCollisionEvent[ParticlePhysicsExtensions.GetSafeCollisionEventSize(p11)];
    According to the Unity Beta release log: ParticleSystem.safeCollisionEventSize changed to ParticleSystem.GetSafeCollisionEventSize().

40. nasos_333

nasos_333

3600 grass blades on my old non gaming laptop, all moving with the wind. Shader based approach.

The blades are scattered with the projection system and batched with the batching system, before the shader is applied.

The shader is from my WIP for Toon Effect Maker, so it does not have lighting yet, but that is trivial to implement (actually the shader first version had lighting and i took it out for the cartoon version)

Notice how the main thread is not affected at all by the grass vs the empty scene. All the motion is done in shader.

UPDATE:

Another big feature has been added to v1.8.
    I was playing with shaders for Toon Effects Maker and realized moving the grass and gameobjects with shader is multiple orders of magnitude faster than the script version (the projected grass sample for example).

Now i was able to move the grass properly in shader, so i will work to polish this feature as well and provide it as option for endless grass fields that will take up almost nothing !!!!!

This grass system will be shared in all my major packs and will get cosmetic changes or extra shader variations to best fit each one.

Seems like a natural fit for both InfiniTREE, where it could be used to give slight motion to branches, leaves, grass and Sky Master where it would integrate with the sun lighting and scattering fog.

I suppose the feather system could have a shader based variation for the feather motion as well.

41. MornFall

MornFall

Thanks, Sold ! )

nasos_333 likes this.
  42. nasos_333

nasos_333

Make sure to take advantage of the latest deal :), if decided to buy.

FREE VOUCHER !!! (Granted)

I have a voucher code left unclaimed for Sky Master ULTIMATE.

The next written review for Particle Dynamic Magic can claim it. Also a review/score for Sky Master would be great to have.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2015
  43. MornFall

MornFall

I am not sure i bought the right thing...
    On my asset store window it shows " Particle Dynamic Magic V 1.7"
    But your thread says "Particle Dynamic Magic V2"...

PS : collisionEvents[j] = new ParticleCollisionEvent[ParticlePhysicsExtensions.GetSafeCollisionEventSize(p11)];

is on line 204 for me , not 207

After applying the changes, unity does not give me any more red errors messages.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2015
  44. nasos_333

nasos_333

Hi, thanks for buying :)

The v2.0 is the end of the road map, that will bring DX11 options to the current effects. There is still v1.8 that is almost ready to release and v1.9 before 2.0 will be in full production.

The v2.0 here is because this is the work in progress thread, the current version is detailed in the thread in my signature. Another thing is that i expected v1.8 to come much earlier, that is why i jumped the title to v2.0, but since so many new features were added to v1.8, it got delayed.

I think this is for the best, since after v1.8 the pack will more complete and applying DX11 would be a lot better integrated.

The line number may have changed due to other changes i made, so if you dont see errors, it should work fine. I have posted both the before and after code, so you can check for the before part to see if it is equal, to make sure the correct item is changed.

Please let me know if there are any other questions.

Note that some of the systems require some tags to be defined, detailed in the manual. An automatic system for the required tags addition will be added in v1.8.

EDIT: Also dont forget to visit the main thread, i have an offer for Sky Master that ends today, for Particle Dynamic Magic owners.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2015
  45. nasos_333

nasos_333

UPDATE:

Gameobject particles are taken to a new level in v1.8.

The pack will probably be renamed to "Particle & Gameobject Dynamic Magic" due to full support for gameobject particles (that can be scripted, animated, compound and everything in between) and the custom batching system it includes.

This system can be used for any number of applications, like the feathers & butterflies demos, grass and even decals, making the pack a superset of tools that are not just about particles, but a global manipulation framework.

I am also open to other suggestions for the name, since gameobjects bring a whole new dimension to the pack, that is hard to describe :)

On the particle side, I have now finished with spline emission enchancements and is now possible to orient the particles to face the spline direction (pics above), making it very usefull when particles have a specific shape like a mesh. The same will be applied for gameobject particles.

Also i am playing with some shader ideas, to give a performant extra flavor to mesh and gameobject particles.

46. nasos_333

nasos_333

UPDATE:

2D collisions and support is completed for Particle Dynamic Magic v1.8 and will be one of the new features.

I am adding a few more controls (friction loss etc) to complete the effect and will post a video soon

EDIT: Friction added, posted some pics with the various values and effect

Also the particle can be in any depth in Z axis and the collision will still happen. This is usefull for cases where there is Z fighting.

EDIT 2: A WIP video that shows the collisions. This video was taken before the Z-fighting issue was resolved, so a new one with the final polished system will follow

Last edited: Mar 12, 2015
    superwendel likes this.
  47. nasos_333

nasos_333

Game view with Orthographic camera

Editor arrangement

The pic shows the placement options and off axis collision method that eliminates Z fighting and allows easy compositing of various effects (e.g. give depth or filter only the water with a plane or Z axis sensitive filter etc)

48. nasos_333

nasos_333

Another video, with the near final 2D collisions code

Last edited: Mar 13, 2015
  49. nasos_333

nasos_333

After the Toon Effects Maker creation, that brings a configurator system for the various included systems, i decided to offer such an automated configurator for the Particle Dynamic Magic systems, that will enable the creation of complex effects much faster and more streamlined.

This is a very hard to make piece of software, since PDM has so many options in its systems, so it may or may not come in v1.8, but it is now officially in the plans for Particle Dynamic Magic future.

Also i will be working faster on the DX11 module and try to bring the first DX11 enabled effect, in image emission. The second will be the Turbulence, that is also a heavy effect and will benefit the most from a DX11 mode.

If the first DX11 effects arrive in the next version, it will be renamed from v1.8 to v2.0, since there is already a massive ammount of enchancemets ready for the upcoming update.

50. IanStanbridge

IanStanbridge

Sound like some great updates. Now that everyone has access to Unity 5 deferred lighting I think it would be great if you had options to attach lights to particles or perhaps emit lights instead of particles. You could also use it to improve the lightning in your sky master tool. Often lightening is used to create atmosphere with its dynamic change in lighting for example.

DX11 acceleration would be great to. To increase the number of particles you could use in your system you could make a simple dx11 particle renderer that could use an existing particle as a reference to generate multiple particles around with some sort of noise function.