Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Particle Dynamic Magic 2.1 - Ultimate Decal, Spline & Shuriken advanced effects framework

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by nasos_333, Apr 15, 2014.

1. nasos_333

nasos_333

Dynamic grass is now working great on Unity 5 as well.

The demo will be exported from Unity 5

2. nasos_333

nasos_333

Additional new 100+ effects collection for Particle Dynamic Magic v2.0 Prefab Manager, for a total of 300+ ready to use advanced effects.

UPDATE:

All testing and tweaking for Unity 5 is now completed and the pack works perfectly in both versions. A demo will follow soon after i do another pass of testing for any small detail i might have missed.

I will submit both versions to the store tomorrow (and same for Advanced FX Creator bundle).

3. nasos_333

nasos_333

UPDATE:

The demo has been finilized and will be up shortly !!!

Here is the Particle Dynamic Magic v2.0 demo video

4. nasos_333

nasos_333

Pic for the PDM2.0 promo

5. nasos_333

nasos_333

6. nasos_333

nasos_333

UPDATE:

The first Unity 4 Particle Dynamic Magic v2.0 pack is up, now uploading for Unity 5 and will be sent for review shortly.

Also i am almost done with the pack pics, videos and other side material as well.

7. IanStanbridge

IanStanbridge

Some very impressive demos you have there. Can't wait for the update to go live. Those particle shadows and decals certainly look good. At some point it might be an idea to update the ui you use for the demos to use a rescalable canvas rather that the older unity GUI . You would then get better performance in the demos with lower draw calls and also the button size would stay constant no matter what the resolution.

Also you should change one of the next buttons to say next scene instead as it is unclear what each next button does. If someone is clicking the wrong one they might miss some of the demos. It is unclear that one button switches the catagory and the other switches the scenes in that category.

Also what are the ribbons exactly are they game objects or particles ?

8. nasos_333

nasos_333

Thanks Ian :), as always spot on comments :)

The comment about the GUI draw calls is so true, at some point i realized it as well. I just wish i had more time to deliver both cooler demos (these are just marginally nice from an artistic point of view) and a better interface. I will certainly go about it when i get a window, fixing the bit confusing indeed next scene buttons too.

I just finished uploading the 4 packs (PDM + Advanced FX Creator for both Unity 4-5), so hopefully the pack will be up early next week (or even this week).

The particle shadows are script based, i also did a SM2.0 shader for volume self shadowing (Unity 5), but will come in the next update as it needed extra polish and testing. The combination of the two will give a fully shadowed particle system.

9. nasos_333

nasos_333

UPDATE:

New space effects will be added in the upcoming v2.1 of the pack. Asteroid fields, star effects and much more, powered by Particle Dynamic Magic systems.

10. nasos_333

nasos_333

Last edited: Jun 6, 2015
  11. nasos_333

nasos_333

UPDATE:

I have revised and color coded the GUI in the demo to better show the main categories and sub effects in each category, plus counters to show which sub effects each category is at.

Also updated the shader of the grass decal in the above wild fire demo so it now shows properly behind the water.

Uploading the new demo and will be active soon. The link is the same as the previous demo.

Particle Dynamic Magic v2.0 Demo (updated with minor tweaks and cleaner GUI)
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/79230236/Particle Dynamic Magic 2/PDM 2.0 DEMO.html

Last edited: Jun 6, 2015
  12. nasos_333

nasos_333

Volumetric self shadowed smoke (SM2.0) WIP for Particle Dynamic Magic v2.1

UPDATE:

The final demo is now up, with minor touches (same link as above). The pack will be up in the store early next week.

Also i post a couple of pics from the new self shadowed particle shader system (SM2.0).

13. nasos_333

nasos_333

@IanStanbridge

Particle Dynamic Magic v2.0 is up at the Unity Asset Store !!!!

Enjoy one of the biggest dynamic systems & effects collection in the gaming industry, in a single super pack.

The pack will be named "Pan Dynamic Magic ULTIMATE: Decal, Particle, Spline, AI control & dynamics" later this week.

14. nasos_333

nasos_333

Using the dynamic volume grass in the upcoming Anime Countryside asset. The stage will have ready integrations for Sky Master, Particle Dynamic Magic 2.0, Toon Effects Maker and InfiniTREE.

DennG likes this.
  15. nasos_333

nasos_333

WIP with dynamic volume grass in the upcoming Anime Countryside asset. The new asset will fully integrate Particle Dynamic Magic for ultimate performance and customized batching making unbelievale detail and shadows possible.

Complete integration with InfiniTREE and Sky Master is also in progress.

16. nasos_333

nasos_333

WIP on the grass, exploring more features and tricks for Unity 5.

17. nasos_333

nasos_333

UPDATE:

Version 2.2 Features:

- Added option to delete gameobject particles after spreading them. This is already working and can be send to anyone interested on demand as a hotfix, before v2.2 is up at the store. The system now allows killing the sample butterflies with a gun and respreading new when required, all in real time.
    - DX11 Turbulence and forces option
    - DX11 Image emission option
    - Asteroid field
    - Aurora effect
    - Configurator for the various systems
    - More shaders for even cooler grass fields
    - Per layer or tag control of grass spreading/projection

Last edited: Jun 28, 2015
  18. nasos_333

nasos_333

New mode added to the grass projection, now it can spread grass around stones and fences and the result is far more realistic and cool.

Pics and videos will arrive soon.

19. SpaceRay

SpaceRay

Hello, Good news of the updates, and new things

I have an alien enemy mesh that I want that when I fire my weapon at him and on impact it will disintegrate the alien mesh into LOTS of light emitting particles and then fly away with turbulence effect

In some way like the video on 2:00 shown here, but NOT with the white bits attached(the link of the video starts directly on the exact point at 2:00)

I have made the destruction script already so when the enemy is being it will instantiate a prefab death effect, but do not know how to make this prefab using this Particle Magic.

Thanks very much for any help and I love your asset

nasos_333 likes this.
  20. nasos_333

nasos_333

Hi SpaceRay,

The effect in the video is using Transitions module, so it can move particles between mesh emitters.

In your case i think a single masked mesh emission script would do the trick, using gameobject particles so you can define lights and script their behavior (note that gameobject particles can be used together with the actual particles of the particle system for extra effect in one go)

So the steps would be:

Add a Skinned Mesh emission script on the enemy you want to be destroyed.

Add the enemy mesh in the script variable and see it emit particles first.(and turn off particle renderer if you dont need them later)

Add a gameobject that will act as gameobject particle pool and parent it to the enemy (so the script keeps the link in the prefab), this will also go in the script pool parameter.

Add a gameobject to act as lights (a light with a script to control a chance to be on/off, color etc) and add to the script also and parent it to the enemy.

Check the "gameobject" option in the skinnedmesh emission script.

Now on impact your script can control this script and thus the emission of gameobjects. The system is made to be dynamic, so you can start with a low gameobject particle count and increase it when hit.

Also you can let particles go with the gravity option soon after the explosion and add a Turbulence (Attractor script) that references the specific particle.

The gravity will allow you to keep the lights on the object as it starts to blow and then regulate their explosion at will. I think this will give a very nice "growing energy before the blast" feeling, than just start emitting lights.

Since this effect will need some scripting to perfect, i could also provide a working base example with a sample model and send it over, for convinience.

A good example to use as start would be the feather emission shown in 1:53 in the video. Imagine feather gameobjects will be the lights and feather count will start at zero and increase after the collision detection (using a custom script that will check collision and control the emission script), then let lights fly away like feathers can fly away using the GUI in the demo. This sample also has Turbulence setup and the GUI code shows how to make feathers fly away.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2015
  21. nasos_333

nasos_333

Here is a first quick try, i replaced the feathers with lights and added some blast particles, now i will add a script to control light intensity and halo as the blast in in motion and also control particle counts and length etc

I forgot to mention the "Velocity towards normal" parameter, that will make particles speed towards the surface normals on the blast, this is crucial to get a blow out effect.

Also another idea since this is masked emission, is to allow the blast to first appear on some of the parts of the object and then on the rest (like a fire would first crash windows and then blow the rest of the object)

22. nasos_333

nasos_333

@SpaceRay

After some tweaking and scripting, the blast using skinned emission

The video shows one version with a mild effect and near the end a more powerful blast

Is this close to the needed effect ?

23. SpaceRay

SpaceRay

OH!! WOW! Thanks very much for the long and complete explanation and making a step by step tutorial, I will try it and see how it works and what you have done

The video on the heavy blast looks interesting and near what I want but not exactly, I like the light particles and looks nice and good, but the original mesh should not be viewed, only the particles effect, and the particles should be closer to each other with the turbulence.

I have seen a very good example of this that I would like to have that I have sent by PM, I mean that the original mesh would be replaced with a prefab of the mesh with only the particles.

24. nasos_333

nasos_333

The effect is a base, the mesh can be disabled or use a transparent shader i suppose and turbulence can be regulated too. Then this can indeed be instantiated instead of the intial mesh and be used at that point.

I will check the PM and get back

Also i will work a bit more on the effect and i can send the script and scene if you want, so you can test it and see the setup.

EDIT: I have not receieved the PM. Maybe send it again or in email ?

25. SpaceRay

SpaceRay

I have sent the PM now

Good to know this and that it can be disabled the mesh and also that it can be instantiated

WOW!! This would be excellent and great help, and time saving as I have very little experience using Particle magic or any other particle asset.

26. nasos_333

nasos_333

All effects in the demo are instantiated, so everything can be instantiated and prefabed, i make the demo this way so i can test for this at the same time and was a good practice as any issues with instantiation came up and were handled early.

I will check the PM, work on making it closer to it and send a package. I will post here when it is ready.

I will also test the mesh disable, just to make sure it works ok

27. nasos_333

nasos_333

Colored particles by mesh texture

Here is a new version of the effect, is this closer to what is needed ? everything in this is parametric, so it is easy to change the blast power, particle numbers, Turbulence behavior etc

I am now adding a vanish effect too (i had to make a small change to the script to handle the deleted gameobjects, so i will send this update together with the effect script) and will be finalized soon

Note that particles can be colored by the mesh texture, it is just that in this sample the shader does not support it (i could re-write it or change the script to handle the different color parameter if coloration is needed)

The synch in this sample needs some extra tweaking (particles go large then small and then blast out, but should not go that small before the blast)

I also got another idea, i can add an option to scale down the whole mesh, like an implosion, before exploding. Something like the collapse of the universe. I think that would be cool and give an extra edge to the effect.

EDIT: Also added a pic showing a version of the particles colored by the mesh texture.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2015
  28. SpaceRay

SpaceRay

Thanks really very much for making this and working on it, from the video the one that looks maybe better is at 27 seconds from beginning

It must not have any big particles or long ones, just all small particles round ones, also like that not all of the them are the same, something good

Yes, I think it can be a good and cool idea, but as you say, it should be optional, I mean that I have to try and see how it looks and if it is right for what I want, so I can decide to include it or not, thanks very much for the good idea

Waiting for your answer I send my best regards

29. nasos_333

nasos_333

Here is a sample with no stretching in particles and using the shrink effect too.

Also the particles and lights will vanish smoothly in the end.

30. SpaceRay

SpaceRay

I have had an idea and is that the particles could be tinted (or take) the same colors found from the source skinned mesh, I mean that the particles could, like a cameleon, have the same colors, and when exploding keep the same colors so it would really like that the original mesh is vapourized.

But I really do not know if this is possible or may be hard to do to make the particles have the different colors of the source mesh, may be I am asking something that is really very difficult.

This is looking good and nice, I like it, the particles you have used and the great lighting effect of them, the turbulence and fade effect, but it does not seem that the original source mesh is really exploding and expanding from the source mesh position as the demo image I sent by PM. Also seems to be slow in moving, but I think that this can be made the same with more speed or with more force, expanding faster.

31. nasos_333

nasos_333

Particle color assigned by the skinned mesh texture.

I have a parameter that governs how long particles stay in the original positions on the mesh before going away (keep in position factor). I will play a bit with that and synch so the mesh explosion is more apparent perhaps.

Everything is tweakable, so i think we will get the proper effect soon :)

About keeping the mesh texture colors, it is very much possible, i posted a pic above with the colors from the skinned mesh texture on particles for reference.

32. SpaceRay

SpaceRay

I sent a PM message

I am very sorry that I did not have time yet to use and learn much more about you awesome and amazing Particle Magic system and how it works, and the many and lots of possible uses and the lots of possible features that it includes and that it has a huge potential to do wonderful things

Very good news that you can configure the time of the particles and how they behave.

Also good that as you say everything is tweakable, so if the effect is good and nice but needs a little bit more, it could be modified

This is a very good news and is good to know that is possible to keep the colors from the skinned mesh as it looks really like the original mesh is converted to particles.

Thanks very much for your help and I admire your expert knowledge, experience and skills you have, and the innovative and creative ideas you have

33. nasos_333

nasos_333

A more complete sample, with more evident mesh turning to particles and some image effect controls to enhance the effect. The video has 4 samples, two Turbulence styles (one with vortex, one with Perlin) and two blast out methods (small speed and large speed on mesh normal).

Particles are colored by the mesh texture.

34. nasos_333

nasos_333

A sample with smoother fade out. The fading can be done in a number of ways, i have the cheapest one in the sample.

Smooth fade out can also start at any point of the effect.

35. SpaceRay

SpaceRay

Yes, I like it and is great, lovely and well done the last example, and if this can be configured in a number of ways is good to know.

Thanks very much for working on this and making it each time better, and now seems to be well done.

nasos_333 likes this.
  36. nasos_333

nasos_333

Great :). Everything about it is configurable and without going in code, so you can play with it to get the final result.

I will clean up the code, expose some more parameters and send it over tomorrow, let me know where to send the scene + script. This will also be included in my new PANDORA pack, that will make heavy use of Particle Dynamic Magic.

One of PANDORA libraries will be based entirely on PDM (besides the Time, Water and Physics categories) and will offer special 2D dynamic liquids, swarm AI and Dynamic Decals applications in gameplay situations for PDM customers.

37. SpaceRay

SpaceRay

Good news, and very good that is configurable so if needed I could modify it a little more, after adding it to the final mesh, you can send it to my email on the PM I sent you.

Is also the source particle shape configurable also ? or it is taken from a preset or defined one you have made? I mean if I have to use this ones, or maybe I could also use cubes or triangles? this is not important, just curious, because I like it how you have done it, and is great with the shape particles you have used, is only curious if in the future it could be also changed.

PANDORA PACK ESTIMATED MONTH RELEASE?

I think that this will be very interesting, helpful, useful and creative as the high quality things you make, and will be waiting for it.

Will this be available in August or September 2015? Or later?

Thanks very much for your great and for taking the time to make this awesome particle explosion based on the mesh

Last edited: Jul 27, 2015
  38. nasos_333

nasos_333

Thanks for the kind commnents :), always a pleasure to see all the hard work appreciated :)

PANDORA is created alongside Sky Master v2.2 update and tons of Particle Dynamic Magic v.2.1 enchancements (that most are also related to PANDORA), but all systems are in a very advanced state, so the plan for release is late August or early September.

The pack will have a 2.D shooter as sample, that will use all the features and gameplay related prefabs, to showcase their actual in game use and setup.

About the blast effect, this uses the widest range of PDM possibilities, so i use both particle and gameobject masked emission from the skinned mesh. The gameobject particles are made of light sources that do the halos and can also be used to light the scene with some extra scripting on each particle. The rest of the effect is particles that are also controlled by the mesh script (full control of per vertex normal speed, gravitation toward initial positions, leave original positions timings etc). The gameobject particles may follow the particle motion or not too.

Generally with this setup the sky is the limit, as you may apply anything in the gameobject particles. So the particles can be any shape, even procedural gameobjects, or scripted/animated ones and can even be shaped in real time.

The gameobject pool may also use the batching system to group items in one mesh at every frame or when they go beyond a move threshold. This is best used when there is no motion in all particles at once (like sticking ice case etc)

39. nasos_333

nasos_333

I have sent a PM with the link to the files for the blast.

40. SpaceRay

SpaceRay

How is it going the new Pandora package?

I wish you all the best and that we can be amazed with the awesome creative effects that you are able to create.

What happened with the name change you wanted to do? Maybe you are waiting for the Pandora release, to change it.

thanks

41. nasos_333

nasos_333

I am working on it, though i had an extra assginment from the university, which means will have a small downtime, but i still target it for October.

If there is an extra delay, i will most definitly provide a first version of the asset sooner for testing, and notify about what is 100% ready and what needs extra testing etc, so you can start playing with it sooner :)

I will probably change the name when PANDORA is out, so i can link the two packs at that point better

42. nasos_333

nasos_333

UPDATE:
    I have been thinking about the various ways PANDORA and the Particle Dynamic Magic powered module and effects can be distributed and i would like some feedback from users.

PANDORA is a pack about gameplay that will offer many ready to use gameplay elements and a 2.5D shooter sample mini game that will be updated to include more and more gameplay features to act as a templete for games.

The PDM integration will happen in many of the gameplay elements, not just the PDM specific module, so it is a bit tricky to separate the two.

The options are to either create a super pack with PDM included and offer an upgrade path for current PDM users or separate the two and offer aleternatives with and without PDM gameplay elements, the former of which will require PDM to function.

The global pack is better from both an integration and ease of use side, so this is what i am leaning towards right now.

Also there is the subjest of the subsequent mini game updates, that will either come as complete mini games in separate packs that will require PANDORA, or be added directly in the pack and increase its price and be free for current users. This will depend a lot on the reception of the asset and reviews.

The goal of PANDORA is to have a even growing framework that will offer a drag and drop way to implement as many ready to use gameplay elements as possible, so it will be ease to put together a whole game with super variety in gameplay elements or just test elements and modify to get unique new systems. It will be based on PDM and three other frameworks (time manipulation, physics manipulation and design and liquids)

Any input on the above and further ideas on how to best handle the PDM interaction with the new system are welcome.

43. nasos_333

nasos_333

More glowing reviews for Particle Dynamic Magic !!!

A big thanks to everyone for the support and help in development of the system.
    Every review counts and helps me work faster on the coming updates.

A big update is in the works for Particle Dynamic Magic that will enchance it and connect it to the new PANDORA system, that will have the application of its modules to actual gameplay situations and combined with the spherical gravity, FX, liquids and physics modules of PANDORA, for optimized gameplay effects, ready to use and super optimized for massive quality.

Also as PANDORA grows and requires specific effects & optimizations for its gameplay scenarios, Particle Dynamic Magic modules will be updated and new ones added, thus both packs will get big updates in parallel.

The asset is now on -50% sale for a limited time ($45, normal price $90)

Last edited: Nov 5, 2015
  44. nasos_333

nasos_333

UPDATE:

One issue has been discovered when creating a new spline from scratch, where an error is produced.

This error is fixed when the 'Show_controls_play_mode' parameter is set to true.
    This will properly intialize the spline and then can be used normally.

This will be fixed in v2.1 of the system.

45. nasos_333

nasos_333

UPDATE:

The spline error at creation start is now fixed.

Also the splines now have extra controls and types for the nodes (e.g. split mode that can control direction from either side)

46. nasos_333

nasos_333

UPDATE:

v5.3.2f1 of Unity has introduced a few warnings for certain particle functions, it is been worked on for the next version to eliminate all warnings and will be included in next version

Last days of Particle Dynamic Magic -50% sale !!!!!

The regular price will be submitted today.

Make sure to grab the pack while the offer lasts and save $45 !!!!

47. nasos_333

nasos_333

A few notes on Particle Dynamic Magic special shaders.

I attach a few samples that i will add in v2.1 with the "PDM_Particle_Shader_Add_Blend", which is the main one that does additive alpha blending. Also show some particles without the shader (the very faded ones against the bright background).

The shader requires a small amount of "Edge Factor" parameter to go out of the additive only region, so add a small edge factor to see the full vibrance against bright backgrounds.