Search Unity

Painterly/Stylized 2D Isometric Castle Textures & Assets

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by ChromaQuill, Apr 1, 2015.

1. ChromaQuill

ChromaQuill

Hey guys!

I'm a 2D game artist looking to make an asset pack for the store, I decided to go with a castle/dungeon crawler sort of theme. I'll have a good amount of tileable textures (with cracks etc to make them varied), a bunch of prop assets, a hero that moves in 4 directions/attacks/idles, and probably like 8 monsters with just idle animations.

I'm still on the fence on what kind of isometric perspective I want, I'm thinking I might change it more like the Chrono Trigger style instead of like... slanted and not really in line with the ground. Anyone have any opinions on this? So far I'd only have to redraw the hero/treasure chest if I changed it, so I've been mostly working on textures until I decide.

Here's my progress so far!

2015-04-01 11_04_17-LNPOverlayWindow.png

Kurt-Dekker likes this.
  2. ChromaQuill

ChromaQuill

Here's a list of assets I plan to put in the pack, if anyone has any suggestions on stuff I should add please let me know!!

I'm also thinking about animating the fire/lighted assets, not sure yet though.

textures

marble
    stone round
    brick
    concrete
    fancy tiles 1
    fancy tiles 2
    carpet
    drapery

assets

chair
    fancy chair
    table
    fancy table
    goblet
    food turkey leg
    food fruit bowl
    barrel
    chest
    bookcase
    crate
    dresser
    bed
    vase 1
    vase 2
    fireplace
    human bust statue
    dragon statue
    gargoyle
    suit of armor
    lion statue
    pillar 1
    pillar 2
    window 1
    window 2
    window 3
    painting 1
    painting 2
    tapestry 1
    tapestry 2
    torch
    brazier
    candles
    chandelier 1
    chandelier 2
    window drapes
    tiles 1
    tiles 2
    stone round tiles
    marble tiles
    chain
    spikeys
    door 1
    door 2

animated?

torch
    candles
    chandelier 1
    chandelier 2

3. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Considering the consumer side I think breaking the pack into smaller/cheaper packs, texture pack, static assets with supporting textures, animated assets with textures, character pack - would be a better option.

Nice work so far.

4. ChromaQuill

ChromaQuill

Thank you so much for taking the time to give advice! I think I may just do that! :D Thanks!

5. IsaiahKelly

IsaiahKelly

I believe you meant to say what kind of "parallel projection" you want.

I really hate to be a jerk here, but there is only one kind of isometric perspective, and what you're showing so far is not it. Isometric is a very specific type of parallel projection, but the mass majority of gamers today seem to think "isometric" simply means anything (2D or 3D) not viewed at a right angle. This could not be further from the truth! If this was true then almost every game ever made would be "isometric", making the distinction basically pointless. Which seems to be exactly what has happened!

*takes a deep breath and tries to relax*

Okay... Sorry about the rant. The abuse of the notation "isometric" has just become a pet peeve of mine. Probably because I'm old enough to have actually played a real isometric game. :D What you're showing off would better be described as "2D top-down". Especially since "isometric" could mean almost anything to most people. :p

Besides all that, I do like your artwork a lot. If you'd like to ensure your asset is "popular", I'd consider investigating exactly what types of 2-D games developers are making the most of, and cater to that type. Side scrolling platformers, perhaps? Or you could do the exact opposite and try to find an in-demand void to fill. Less competition that way ;)

6. ChromaQuill

ChromaQuill

Haha, that's totally fine, no offense taken whatsoever!! Thanks so much for taking the time to explain this stuff to me, I am still quite the noob at making game assets.

I'll study 2D top down stuff some more and try to make the projection more like that!

7. IsaiahKelly

IsaiahKelly

I think a side-view perspective -like in the 2D Platformer example- would be the easiest, but it kind of sounds like you're set on doing it top-down? True hand-drawn isometric will be a bit difficult. So I'd suggest doing it in the style of Gauntlet or something like that.