Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Overcome with Emotion *Weep*

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by terransage, Feb 28, 2007.

1. terransage

terransage

After having months and months of pure joy creating with Unity, I couldn't contain my emotions any longer, so I thought I better post this here. I don't think I've ever had more fun doing anything before, and I don't think I've ever been so satisfied with a product and the company that backs it up. (Believe me, I don't usually gush about ANY product!) I was just about to jump off the Brooklyn Bridge (first I would have had to fly there from Albuquerque), when I discovered Unity. I had never once considered getting into game development, until I first played around with the demo version. Now I have so many ideas that I'm having trouble focusing on any one direction.

Tonight I just tried out Application.OpenURL for the first time, and that was it for me: My cornball emotions all bubbled to the surface. This is my way of saying thank you to OTEE, for Unity, for your hands-on approach to supporting us with answers to all our questions, and for the way you run your business.

(No, I'm not looking for a discount on version 2.0....) :oops:

jashan likes this.
  2. Marble

Marble

Well, I am!

But seriously I must agree. It's nice to have one's own limitations be the productivity barrier instead of the software's.

3. terransage

terransage

Yes, Marble, just about every time I thought I found a bug, it turned out to be me.

Another thing I wanted to mention is that the Unity Community has also been great. This is one of the few places where a noob like me can feel at home and not be embarrassed about asking ridiculous questions. I've been to other forums where people get downright hostile with each other.

4. AaronC

AaronC

yep100% 8) AC

5. polytropoi

polytropoi

Amen Brother! <group hug> We're gonna Unify the interwebs!

Seriously, I have the same feeling about Unity that I did when I first discovered Flash: it is going to change what the web can be. Very exciting to have that kinda power in your hands.

Now if I could only get my rigged Blender characters into Unity, my joy would be complete.

edit - corrupted memory, Flash 2 came in '97. :oops:

6. Randy-Edmonds

Randy-Edmonds

Hear, hear!

7. Joe ByDesign

Joe ByDesign

Agree 100%. Nice post terransage. :D

8. pete

pete

*sniffle*

<thread hijack> hey polytropi... guess it's been beat to death and i know bigk's tried alot. do you have access to a PC? can you get any animation out of blender - maybe .x? you probably could convert that in milkshape or ultimate unwrap. ain't native support but $25-50 ain't so bad. maybe it would even work under parallels/bootcamp... </thread hijack>

9. AaronC

AaronC

Hijack Pt 2

Lets not forget Dim3. After all, Yoggy boned a fish...
    AC

PS Beware, I dont think it has an "undo" feature

10. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

Thanks for the post Terran Sage. Makes my day.

jashan likes this.
  11. terransage

terransage

12. pete

pete

i'd certainly want an undo if i boned a fish...

13. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

I think someone said they tried it in Milkshape and it worked (don't quote me on that, my memory slips at the worst possible times). I tried it through UU3D and didn't have any luck. But, I did notice the other day that UU3D just released a new version, so there's a chance the situation is different now.

As for me, I've since added C4D to my workflow (which has it's own set of limitations) so for now I'm using Blender to model and C4D to animate.

Ok, back to the thread...

14. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

Yeah, really... let's get back to the heart felt acknowledgement of how great Unity is. My sap meter is way up there... 9.5 out of 10 at least. Very good, but let's not see OTEE get away with too much praise. I still need to see dynamic shadows and possibly some pre-calculated light maps for 2.0. It might be in the works, but who knows?

15. polytropoi

polytropoi

Indeed. In the face of such honest emotion, I am now ashamed of my whining on this board about stuff over which OTEE has little or no control (i.e. Blender export) and will henceforth be grateful for all my blessings, not least of which is Unity. It's a poor artist that blames his tools, and a stupid one that blames a tool as capable as Unity.

Thanks to hijackers for suggestions, but rigging/animating is hard enough for me, and I need a tool at least as good as Blender for that, and a way to move that data into other apps. Unless very good news comes on the collada front in the next couple of weeks, I expect I'll break down and buy a commercial app for this - leaning toward XSI.

[/quote]

16. DocSWAB

DocSWAB

I can honestly say that as newcomers to game development, we would be dead in the water without Unity. The Unity IDE itself, its robustness on a lot of platforms, the incredibly involved OTEE guys, and the equally amazing and helpful Unity community have helped us make real progress with our project.

If we'd stayed with Torque, I think we'd still be trying to figure out how to import content, and still wouldn't know the difference between a normal and a lightmap!

So thanks OTEE and Unity heads everywhere for helping us to make this dream come true and get started with this incredible technology.

Cheers,
    Steve

17. Morgan

Morgan

I haven't had more fun/excitement with a tool since DeluxePaint IV on the Amiga... and NEVER as much productivity as I get from Unity. My business is heading away from 2D and into 3D, heavily, and completely thanks to Unity.

18. AaronC

AaronC

-Joachim and Team:
    Credit where credits' due guys, you've made the easiest engine I've ever had the luxury to use, you're really good at helping on the forum, and the couple of bugs I've encountered you addressed and fixed just like that..., The Docs that update themselves are flaming awesome, and you have enabled me and others to create artwork thats pretty much tommorrows technology...

Too often we all fail to show appreciation and TerranSage's post is a welcome reminder that you guys dont owe this to us, its an absolutely wicked opportunity you've offered, and we are seriously thankful...Unity has changed my life. I used to have filmmaking aspirations, but that is old hat compared to game making.

Thanks bigtime. We really really mean it
    AC

19. drJones

drJones

what he said ; )

i think back to when i was researching engines (and knowing absolutely ZERO about game production) - my three final contenders were torque, crystalspace unity. i don't remember exactly what it was that made me pick unity, but now, while i still consider myself quite the noob in general, i have learned enough to know that had i chose otherwise i would never have gotten as far as i have with unity (and still going strong woo!)

good stuff.

20. anachreon

anachreon

That's just made my week! :)

Cheers,

Luis.

21. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

First time I read that I completely missed the joke (boy have I been working too hard!). Ha! :D

What I love most about Unity is that it is just so darn reliable and stable. After banging my head against the wall trying to get other engines to do even the most basic stuff, it is such a relief to know my projects will work in Unity. Yeah, there are features I'd like to see and there are things that other engines can do that I'd like to see in Unity, at the end of the day Unity does the job best.

...And the helpfulness of the forum here (OTEE folks and "normal" folk) is unmatched in my opinion. It really makes learning and using Unity a pleasure.

Thanks for such a great product and thanks everybody for your help!

22. terransage

terransage

I had to smile when I read the C4D manual and saw that their term for rigging is boning. Someone at Maxon didn't read his German-English slang dictionary.

DocSWAB said:
    Yeah, I started with Torque and quickly fled to Blender. It was through the Blender forums that I discovered Unity, and now I am at peace. :)

23. forestjohnson

forestjohnson

I definitely want to honor OTEE for making this wonderful tool, and all awesome people that surround it. I would never have gotten this far without OTEE, Unity and the rest of you cool guys. :D

Boning the fish wasn't that hard, you just have to get it right the first time or bad things happen. If you try, just be careful. :p

24. pete

pete

lol guys! in the immortal words of Mr Gates, Ctrl+Z! hey... i wonder if that's where he got the idea! :D oh nevermind!

my *sniffle* was truly a heartfelt "holy cow what an awesome app!!!" all you guys rock. and the best part is that we're only at the tip of the iceberg! blows my mind to think about what might be in version 5... :eek:

<second hijack> yeah sorry guys but a friend in need... polytropoi, milkshape fbx works. i'm the one who tried. there's a thread in external tools that has my test player. nothing big but it proves it works. so if you can get animation out of blender say as .x format, you could use milkshape simply as a converter. no need to work in a different app - just import/export. </second hijack>

25. jeremyace

jeremyace

I agree with everything here. Very awesome software. I was about 2.3 minutes away from buying Torque when a post on their forum saved me and sent me to otee.dk.

After a very generous action by David (DaveyJJ) I was able to try out the demo. The rest, as they say, is history.

And appearantly Yoggy has some very weird tastes, but I don't hold it against him.

-Jeremy

26. Kripto

Kripto

I'm also incredibly impressed and pleased with Unity. This type of tool has been a dream of mine for several years and it finally exists. Uniformly excellent. :D

27. DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

Unity is one of a very special, small handful of Mac software over my 18 years of mac use that made me step back and say "Wow." Followed closely by "This software really means I can do this, wow."

Trying to get my butt in gear now to do something very cool in Unity, with the help of a couple around here. Lots of time with UNity and it's still makes me say "Wow."

And the future look even cooler. Bravo OTEE.

28. Willem

Willem

Just wanted to throw in my 2 cents and say that I bought Unity on Friday and I can't believe how amazing it is. I'm using it in conjunction with Cheetah3D and I'm actually creating things! And they work!

I think I was born with a Mac brain and never realized it before (I'm a fairly new Mac user as well). Things just seem to 'work' for me on Mac.

Anyway, thanks to all involved, this thing is incredible!

29. Joe ByDesign

Joe ByDesign

Right on Willem! You and your "mac brain" are both welcome here! :)

30. rickdyck

rickdyck

Hey,

Unity is an aesthetic pleasure. It's well laid out and has a surprising grace and simplicity to it. This makes it very easy to have affection for. As a tool, Unity is elegant like an Estwing hammer (if you aren't familiar with them, next time you're in a hardware store, pick one up and you'll know what I mean).

By buying Unity I've hired a tech department. I have modest programming abilities and yet am able to spend time on why and what I want to do instead of primarily on how.

Unity shares the following with software such as Director or Flash: I've been able to do something that interests me with not much effort and can build on that with baby steps. It isn't necessary to learn great whacks of stuff before either beginning or progressing.

Unity has attracted a strong, mature forum population. The forum members are very helpful to each other. In terms of using Unity to produce stuff and also in terms of creating stuff to expand Unity (shaders, Unitree, UnifyWiki, etc.), there's a lot of activity here. It also seems focused. The Gossip section sticks close to issues surrounding Unity. And that the Otee gang shows up so much on the forums is amazing.

I'm floored by Unity's development. Some of the upgrades have been like getting a new piece of software! (Hope I'm not jinxing things by saying that).

--Rick

31. jashan

jashan

I was looking for some info on Milkshape when I found this ... and I think this incredibly cool thread just deserved a bump, so here it is (so sometimes, thread-hijacking is quite useful, I'd say) ...

I remember reading this thread while I was still not having my Mac, and just thinking "OMG - I need this Unity, I need a Mac". 5 months later, about a year ago, I got my Mac Pro ... another 4 months later I was being truly bold, jumping into the unknown, uncharted territory of becoming an "independent game developer using Unity". I did hesitate because I knew, things would never be the same again. This clearly is a one way ticket. You simply need to be ready for those long nights! And - wow, my life has all changed for good since that (even with those long nights ;-) )!!!

To me, Unity 2.1 is simply beyond words. Every time I open it up and start working on my game it's like back then at school-days when the first day of a vacation has come (coincidentally, the summer vacation starts today, where I live). With Unity "in the back", even Visual Studio suddenly becomes an incredibly fun toy to use (hm, so what is this new code gonna do to my game?) After a hard day of work (I still need to make my living with "classical software-engineering"), starting up Unity quite often is like jumping into the refreshing ocean after the sun almost burnt you (geez, maybe I should stop trying to be poetic but some stuff just can't be expressed with moderately sane words).

It's such an incredibly rewarding feeling to see how those "crazy ideas" take form more and more, to see what first was just an idea becomes more and more something that's actually playable. When you finally get a chance to play your own game with people you've never actually met - and they even seem to like it! I simply love how Unity opened that door and finally let me actualize things that had been growing within me for over 20 years ... as well as funky stuff that just popped into my mind last night (and in case you ever make it to the "final end" of TRaceON, there's a good chance you'll find out why last night truly was a "historical" night, hehe).

It simply is ... insanely intensely cool ;-)

YEAH!

I did it before, and I'll do it again (and again and again): THANK YOU UT!!! You guys ROCK!!! And Unity FTW!!! ... I like T-Shirts that state the truth - and recently, I got one of those, and it says "Through Unity comes goodness", hehe, YAY ... and also, in fact, I am doing it with prefabs ;-)

It's really an interesting feeling to read this posting again after all this time - back then reading it from the "not-even-Mac-user-but-wanna-be-Unity-user"-perspective, today reading it from the "yeah, I know just EXACTLY what you're talking about because I feel just the same, bros"-perspective.

Well, better put on those shades so no one sees those tears of being overwhelmed with joy: 8)

Edit: And I just noticed that this was my 600th posting to these forums... Happy Birthday, JC ;-)

... well... one more edit:

... Rick said that looohng before 2.1 - I guess you did not jinx things ;-)

32. jorge-castro

jorge-castro

Lol, only a month ago i was a "not-even-Mac-user-but-wanna-be-Unity-user"

but now i am a full mac (and windows-bootcamp) users and unity user, and (i hope so) to be in a near future in a unity pro user.

33. jashan

jashan

Congratulations, and welcome!!! ;-)

34. 1stAnd10

1stAnd10

I'm a windows guy. I code C# full time. I have a mac solely because of Unity.

Outside of the software, what separates Unity from the rest of the competition are it's documentation and forum community. Over at GG, they have spread themselves too thin among multiple projects, they take forever to get out updates, and when they do there's hardly any documentation to figure out how the damn thing works.

If it weren't for Unity I would have given up on indie game development and would have gone back to doing websites in my spare time.

Please OTEE, I'm all for a Windows version but please resist the urge to spread yourselves too thin across a product base and don't ever stop producing the quality of documentation you currently do and please always stay involved in the community like you currently do. It's the outside things like these that contribute greatly to the true value of Unity.

jashan likes this.
  35. polytropoi

polytropoi

Interesting to revisit this thread, nice bump, jashan.

All my positive feelings about this software and company continue to be validated and more. Thanks to Unity, I'm now officially a Professional Game Developer, which is of course a dream come true.

"Remember what happened to the boy who got everything he always wanted? He lived happily ever after!"

jashan likes this.
  36. jorge-castro

jorge-castro

I must disagred about this point, even when exist information about unity, still is insuficient in many topics and the forum community is reduced (but cute). You can find more information about Macromedia (ahem.. Adobe) Flash rather Unity.

The advantadge of unity and their community is:
    a ) it's filled with valuable people that want to learn and share.
    b ) the unity ide/programming code is indeed easy to use.
    c ) The integration with graphics assert is quick and clean, you don't need to use any specific library to "load-then-convert".

I think the same, in my case i spend many months playing with symbian (Nokia cellphone), with Unity3d i did the same in three days (and yet im a rookie in unity).

Yes a windows ide version but is more important to expand the clients such linux.

37. caitlyn

caitlyn

Same here!

And Unity loves all of us back, too!

jashan likes this.
  38. Charles Hinshaw

Charles Hinshaw

After the last quote, I want a "Unity loves me" shirt.

39. jashan

jashan

Wow, that would be cool! Can I have one, too?

40. Dakta

Dakta

Unity is soo beautiful......... :cry: :oops: I just love it soo much!

Very well put my man!

41. AngryAnt

AngryAnt

Keyboard Operator

Haha they'd need to expand unite '09 if you get another unity t-shirt. Unless of-course you bring several per day and change at lunch :wink:

I definitely agree!

jashan likes this.
  42. jashan

jashan

LOL - yeah, that sounds like an option (if Unity '09 takes place in some hot location, I'd even have a good excuse). Ironically, a few days ago I saw the world record in wearing T-shirts ... all at the same time (that guy looked FAT). So that might be another option if I want some extra-fun - and if Unite '09 takes place in some location where it's incredibly cold ;-)

But hey, expanding Unite '09 would be a good decision anyways. And if someone could make it look as if Unite '09 was just expanded so I could wear more Unity T-shirts that sure would be something I could be *very* proud of, wouldn't it? ;-)

I guess in that case, I'd print special business cards "The One that needed Unite '09 to be expanded just so that he could wear all his Unity fanboy T-shirts" ;-)

43. tatoforever

tatoforever

After months testing and playing with Unity3.5 on my project. The most important update to Unity is out!
    So yeah, It have been 4 years and coUnting since I'm Using Unity, I've in the process tried out others middlewares and engines but hell, nothing compares to Unity. I'm glad you gUys pUt out this brilliant and powerful huge piece of technology. I've been creating some twisted minded sick stuff that i see impossible to be done with other technologies, in a very short amount of time, as simple as that...
    I'm still amazed how those gUys remain (after rising to the skies) the same kind of hUman beings.
    Now get back to work on yoUr next awesomeness!
    Your dear tester, User, friend and happy cUstomer!
    Unity forever!
    King regards from Psychoz Interactive.