Search Unity

Outdated help

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by cre8or, Jan 29, 2016.

1. cre8or

cre8or

Hi All,
    I am very new to Unity, and I'm a wee bit disappointed with some of the tutorials being out dated.
    For example, I was searching for some help in pinch-zooming an object in my scene, and came across this tutorial:
    https://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/modules/beginner/platform-specific/pinch-zoom

When I followed along, and added the script, I received a plethora of messages in the console about things being deprecated and obsolete.

I'm not a programmer, but I'm keen to learn. This tutorial is supposed to be targeted to a beginner, but I'm not able to translate it to get it to work for the latest version of Unity.

I guess with Unity upgrades, it's difficult to keep the tutorials current... it is just a it disappointing for someone just starting.

2. Rombie

Rombie

Revert to an old copy of unity and learn on that version. Then when you become stable with the engine, upgrade to the current version of unity. That way you can use the tutorials which where targeted for prior versions.

Kiwasi likes this.
  3. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

You can alternatively google the new syntax. It's good practice. Google is your friend.

I would also suggest starting with the unity 5 tutorials.

4. landon912

landon912

Most of the error messages are pretty good about telling you how to update. Just follow the error messages advice and with a little googling you'll be fine.