Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

ORK Okashi RPG Kit for Unity released

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by gamingislove, Nov 7, 2010.

1. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

I am so excited for the ios update :)

2. gamingislove

gamingislove

Still working on it ... trying to get the maximum performance out of it :)
    Problem is with long texts the initial texture creation kinda kills the framerate for 1 or 2 frames ... but the rest is looking good.

The new GUI system will be optional, you'll be able to set which GUI system you want to use in the Game Settings (Project Editor).

3. aigam

aigam

Sounds great!

4. aigam

aigam

Hi!
    Is there any release date for the ios version?
    In which devices is tested?

And, is possible to add a screen to modify ALL texts in the game? Because adding a new language is really a pain in the ass, as you have to check all sections manually...

Thks!

5. demize2010

demize2010

Will be keeping a close eye on this one... great work!

6. gamingislove

gamingislove

I'm still on it, the system is working already, but I still need to speed up the texture creation, as that's quite slow on mobile devices ...
    Currently experimenting with preloading and other stuff, maybe I'll have to block some features in the new GUI system (e.g. autocollapse dialogues) for performance reasons.

An easier way to add new languages will come, hopefully within summer - I had that planned since the beginning, you will be able to export and import languages to edit them outside Unity (e.g. in libre office calc, etc.).

7. gamingislove

gamingislove

Small development update: (and sorry for the double post :D)
    The mobile GUI update is coming along quite good, I'm still working on better texture creation performance (and already got some good results), menu and HUD system are already running with the new GUI.
    The update also brings a small camera event update - you'll be able to set/fade the camera position, rotation and field of view to match a game object in the scene, so it's an easier way for camera events without using camera positions.

I can't give you a release date for the update yet, but it will be on 1st of July at the latest - because I'll be in Korea for a moth after that :D
    I'll still be working on the next updates while I'm there, but it'll be a little bit slower as I'll do some sightseeing :)

8. RoyS

RoyS

Enjoy your time in Korea, gamingislove. :)

9. gamingislove

gamingislove

Thanks, will be quite an adventure :D

As the next update 1.0.6 is approaching I'll give you a small feature-overview:
    - iOS/Android support, own (optional) GUI system
    - Camera event steps: use an actor's position and rotation to set or fade a camera (easier to use then Camera Positions)
    - HUD: display game variables, clickable HUDs to start interactions or call the menu (or a specific menu screen)
    - Status effects: optional auto apply/remove if conditions (status values, elements, skills) are met
    - Characters/enemies: indexed audio clips (up to 20) which can be played in battle animations > easier animation sharing
    - Equipments: optional block equipment parts, e.g. a 2handed sword can block a shield slot but won't be equipped on it
    - some simple mobile camera and player controls

The new GUI system can still drop the framerate for a short amount of time while creating textures, but with the new GUI coming in Unity 3.5 it's kinda waste of time trying to go around that ...
    The system will come with a lot of optional settings to speed up things (by preloading or blocking some functions) and cleanups (menus).

Expect the release to be in the last week of June :)

10. gamingislove

gamingislove

There we go - ORK 1.0.6 released:
    Official Android support, optional new GUI system and some cool new stuff, see the complete changelog below:

• new: Official Android support.
    • new: Simple touch player and camera controls (Click Player Controller, Touch Camera).
    • new: ORK GUI System: Alternative (optional) GUI system to replace Unity's GUI system.
    • new: Game Settings: GUI settings.
    • new: Dialogue Positions: Recalculate button in editor, resizes position, size, padding and spacing of all dialogue positions for a new screen size.
    • new: HUDs: Recalculate button in editor, resizes position, size and spacing of all HUDs for a new screen size.
    • new: HUDs: Display game/number variables.
    • new: HUDs: Clickable HUDs for starting interactions or calling the ingame menu or a specific menu screen.
    • new: Game Events: Camera events can use actor position/rotation to set/fade a camera.
    • new: Status Effects: Auto apply/remove of effects when certain status value, skill or element conditions are met.
    • new: Status Effects: Spawning prefabs when effect is applied.
    • new: Characters, Enemies: 20 indexed audio clips for easier battle animation sharing.
    • new: Battle Animations: Play indexed audio clips.
    • new: Weapons, Armors: Block equipment parts, e.g. a 2handed-sword can block the shield slot when equipped.
    • new: Battle Menu: Optional back button for skill, item and target menu.
    • new: Main Menu: Optional auto call for the main menu when the menu scene is loaded, no MainMenuCall component needed.
    • change: Components Menu: Reorganized components in different groups (events, scenes, battles, etc.).
    • fix: Game Events: Speaker portraits don't distort on different screen ratios any longer.
    • fix: Weapons: Overriding idle and run animations is working now.
    • fix: Battle Animation Editor: Saving and reloading animations with wrong (folder) or empty prefabs could destroy it's animation steps.

Read more on the new GUI system in the updated 'Getting started with ORK' documentation, there are some steps to be followed in order to have it working correctly. The new GUI system is optional and comes with a lot of options to improve performance, they're described in the game settings chapter in the editor documentation - >documentations<
    Official iOS support is still unconfirmed, as Apple was kinda unable to approve my developer enrollment the last few weeks - last thing they wanted was a notarized copy of my passport ... well, it runs on Android, so it should run on iOS, but still untested.

Also MSE 1.0.1 is out:
    Brings compatibility to the new ORK version (Android, GUI system) and some small improvements:

• new: ORK GUI System: Extension supports the new ORK GUI System.
    • new: Menu Settings: Global menu background image settings.
    • new: Shop Settings: Global shop background image settings.
    • new: Menu Screens: Character info back button option.
    • new: Menu Screens: Change party back button option.

Updates have already been sent out to customers :)

Since I'm leaving for South Korea tomorrow, it will most likely take me a little longer to answer emails the next weeks, but I'll still be reachable and working on the next update!

Oh yeah, and I've some awesome news:
    ORK will be used in a master degree level design class at the guildhall at SMU this summer :D

Last edited: Jul 1, 2011
  11. brianjkd

brianjkd

Epic Update! So many great additions!

12. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

Hmm,...

no demo scene anymore ?

I will download all the documentation again and have to start on my own on ios.
    Or did i miss something i.e. do i have to merge the old with the new version to have a sample scene?

13. MikeyUchiha

MikeyUchiha

$ORKerror.png

I got this error from importing the unity packages as described in the documentation. With no edits whatsoever.

v1.06
    MSE v1.0.1

Last edited: Jul 9, 2011
  14. gamingislove

gamingislove

Greetings from Korea :)

@M_Stolley
    I haven't made a special mobile demo, since Unity 3.4 should be out soon (since a month :D) und supports terrains on mobile devices.
    To update the demo to the latest version simply import the script files.

@MikeyUchiha
    Seems like you haven't imported all new scripts, try reimporting ORK106 and MSE101 scripts and be sure to import all files, not only the ones marked as 'new', because they only mark new files added to the package, not changed ones.

15. MikeyUchiha

MikeyUchiha

I imported everything as outlined in the documentation. I did the cs unitypackage, then the resource package, and then i added the mse unitypackage

was i required to add the demo update as well?

16. MikeyUchiha

MikeyUchiha

Also, this was an import from scratch on a brand new project. So, there weren't any changed files.

17. MikeyUchiha

MikeyUchiha

Oops. Sorry! Just realized i had the original one and not the 1.0.1 which I didn't realized was named MSE101 I just grabbed the one named Ork_Menu_Shop_Extension. Thanks for your time and again I'm sorry for the mixup. XD Btw, I sent you an email asking for a copy of my download link so I can import the demo unitypackage. Since all of the emails I've been getting have only been updates to the code. Again, thank you so much for everything. This is an awesome engine, with awesome support. Keep it up! Looking forward to the real time combat.

18. Spectre9000

Spectre9000

Apparently search doesn't work or something, tried finding this thread via searching for ORK, but nothing would come up. Tried a few others and nothing came up either...

Anyway, just played the demo and just want to say pretty good job, with the exception of the hotkey/control mapping, and pressing down can cause you to go into a spin and jitter movement. There was also the issue of not back hotkey (at least that I easily found pounding away at the keyboard).

However, I almost find myself wanting to remake Legend of Dragoon after using it lol.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2011
  19. gamingislove

gamingislove

@MikeyUchiha
    You should've gotten your mail already, please resend if not.

@Spectre9000
    Search doesn't support seraching for 3 letters or less :)
    The control style used in the demo is just an example, you can use whatever player/camera controls you want with ORK, as long as you adapt it to work with it's control mode settings (most of the time a simple if-case around the actual control code).

20. gamingislove

gamingislove

Still in South Korea (and having fun :D) - will be back in business in about 2 weeks.
    I'm currently collecting update ideas for ORK (and the MSE), so feel free to let me know what you need!

Already got some cool stuff for the next update, which will be released around End of August. I'll be working on the real time battle system afterwards.

21. drewradley

drewradley

gamingislove, would it be possible for you to set up Formula Type like Skill Types so they can be filtered like skills? My formula list is getting rather long.

In a future update that is...

Last edited: Jul 29, 2011
  22. gamingislove

gamingislove

Good idea, will put it on the list :)

I'll be back from South Korea in about a week and will bring a small update for Unity 3.4 compatibility. Anyone having problems with it yet?
    All I get are some compiler warnings, but no errors and ORK seems to run without problems. Will also check out if the new Get/SetPixel32 functions will boost the ORK GUI system :D

23. drewradley

drewradley

Thanks!

I have not had any problems in 3.4 other than the warnings. It doesn't seem to have any adverse effects when I run the demo.

Is every update going to overwrite our own formulas and whatnot? if so, I'd love a way to save them and import them back into ORK.

24. gamingislove

gamingislove

As I always state in the update emails: Don't import the resources.unitypackage, because this overrides your ORK data.
    It's just for newly created projects to create the Resource folder structure in your project.
    If you simply import the scripts there'll be no change in your data - I've updated the 'Getting started with ORK' documentation with detailed instructions how to create a new project and how to update an existing project :)

Saving the project data is simple: copy the Assets/Resources/ProjectSettings and Assets/Resources/Events folders, they contain all XML files with the data.

25. drewradley

drewradley

Excellent! thanks!

26. gamingislove

gamingislove

Ok, I'm finally back from South Korea (but still not home yet :D).
    Unity 3.4 compatibility update will be released this Friday or Saturday (when I'm back in office).

I've collected/thought about a lot of new features for ORK while I had my month off, so I want to give you a little insight in what's coming in future releases:

Skills:
    - cast and reuse times
    - skill combos (you can select if and which skill must be used before another skill can be used)

Battle System (beside the real time extension):
    - Active time: battle menu can be displayed before the timebar is filled (optionally and you can set when to display it)
    - Battle menu: Items/Skills can have a type sub menu
    - Dynamic combat option, multiple actions can happen at the same time

General ORK updates:
    - Enemies can change variables on death
    - Item container
    - Item pickup choice
    - Language in/export

Menu/Shop Extension:
    A flexible shortcut (items, skills, etc.) window will be implemented. You can set it to have fixed shortcuts or be filled by the player (drag+drop), which keys will trigger them, etc.

If anyone has an urgent need for a feature (also not listed here), just let me know :)

27. drewradley

drewradley

How hard would it be to set up stores to have a limited number of items for sale? Or if that's already possible, how do I do it? So far any items the store sells it seems to have an unlimited number of those items. I would love to be able to make one of a kind and limited quantity of items to sell them in a store.

28. gamingislove

gamingislove

Sounds like a great idea - I'll put it on my update list, shouldn't be too hard to implement :)
    Like with item drops, the shop quantities will be remembered on scene change and save game, and I'll put in the option to keep the items sold by the player in the store.

29. goder2910

goder2910

Iam using v1.0.6. Why i cant change the size of "damage text" ?
    I tried to modify "BattleMessageSkin", changed font size in the "label" style to 128.
    When i tested in game, just BattleMessage (Ex:"FIGHT" was scaled), nothing happen with "damage text".

30. Eric Molitor

Eric Molitor

31. gamingislove

gamingislove

@goder2910
    You have to change the font size of the general font of the GUISkin (the first entry in the list). Also you can create a new GUISkin if you don't want to change other things that use this GUISkin, and set the new skin to be used in the battle text settings.

@Eric Molitor
    Glad you like it :)

I'm back in office now and currently preparing the Unity 3.4 compatibility update, it will also contain some other small things:
    - Status effects can add/remove other effects when they end
    - You can check and change a characters class in the event system

32. goder2910

goder2910

Thank you for your answer. I using ORK and i think "Scan" skill is very important to RPG. Can you add "Scan" skill into ORK in the next version ?

33. MikeyUchiha

MikeyUchiha

+1 to that idea. Would definitely be a pretty cool feature.

34. gamingislove

gamingislove

Yup, cool idea - I'll put it on the update list :)

Unity 3.4 compatibility update will take a day longer, since there are some bigger JavaScript restrictions for mobile devices ...

35. goder2910

goder2910

Another idea is "Reflect" skill. When character cast "reflect" into him/her, all magic cast on him will be reflected.
    And "Auto-Magic", example "Auto -Life" , character cast this spell on himself, when he dies, he will recover ^^
    The last idea is "Summoning Skill" . Maybe you can make an option skill that will let play "movie" when the character cast summon spell. The spell system will very interesting ^^

I have one question, Are there anyway to make a spell or skill deal damage many time ? If you played Final Fantasy series, you will see the Ultimate Skill deals damages many times with ton total damage ^^

Last edited: Aug 6, 2011
  36. MikeyUchiha

MikeyUchiha

you can execute it as steps during combat if i remember correctly

37. goder2910

goder2910

You mean "formula" , right ? I used formula but i cant make damage deal many times.

38. gamingislove

gamingislove

Here we go, small updates for Unity 3.4:

ORK 1.0.7 released
    This update brings Unity 3.4 compatibility and a few new features. Enjoy copyable event and animation steps and completely copyable battle animations. Also the check/change class event steps can be quite useful :)

Changelog:
    • new: Status Effects: Other status effects can be added/removed on effect end.
    • new: Game Events: Event steps are copyable.
    • new: Game Events: Check and change class steps.
    • new: Battle Animations: Animation steps and complete battle animations are copyable.
    • change: Unity 3.4 compatibility
    • fix: Battle Menu: Characters with skills only through equipment have skill menu now.

MSE 1.0.2 released
    This update only brings Unity 3.4 compatibility, no new features.

The updates have already been sent out to customers :)

@goder2910
    Another great idea, I'll put 'reflect' and 'auto-magic' things into status effects (and on the update list :D).
    Multiple damages for a single attack/skill isn't possible yet, but I'll look into it. Will most likely be done in battle animations by having multiple damage calculation steps (which currently doesn't work).

Last edited: Aug 7, 2011
  39. drewradley

drewradley

Do you mean continuously over several rounds? Use a skill that applies a status effect that lowers the health over time.

40. goder2910

goder2910

@gamingislove Thank you for your update list ^^. I really need to try new add on someday
    @ drewradley No, like gamingislove said, this feature is not avaliable ^^

41. Hans

Hans

Still have not received the email with the updates.

42. MikeyUchiha

MikeyUchiha

It would probably easier for you to email him so he knows who to send the email to. I did receive the email personally.

43. gamingislove

gamingislove

Please send me an email to ork@rpg-kit.com if you didn't receive the update yet.
    The update was sent out to the email address used when purchasing - if it should be sent to a different address let me know (I'd also need your order number).

44. Hans

Hans

Sent you an email

45. gamingislove

gamingislove

Sent you the updates :)
    Let me know if you don't get them, because it is the same address I used for sending the updates in the first place ...

Update news - ORK 1.0.8 already in development and some features finished:
    - Skill combos: set skills that must be used before another skill can be used.
    - Passive skills: can't be used but give bonuses to status values, elements, hit/escape/counter chance and auto status effects or effect immunity.

Expect the new version around End of August :D

46. RyuMaster

RyuMaster

Yai! Another great update! I'm so happy with ORK ^^

47. dgutierrezpalma

dgutierrezpalma

No, he doesn't want to create a skill that makes damage over time, he want a different kind of skill:

- The skill can make multiple attacks IN THE SAME TURN.

- There is a (configurable) delay between attacks, so the damage deal by each attack will appear sequentially, not all at the same time.

- The exact number of attacks could be fixed or pseudo-random (we might use a formula for calculating the exact number of attacks).

- The damage of each attack is calculate separately (so you can have ten 1-100 damage attacks instead of one 10-1000 damage attack).

- The developer should be able to choose if all the attacks will target the same enemy or if each attack will target a random enemy.

Even if all attacks were launched against the same enemy, its very different (visually) to see one attack that deal 500 damage than seeing ten attacks that deal (20 + 48 + 36 + ...) damage. The delay between attacks will be very important to get a good aesthetics. In addition, if the enemy has any kind of damage resistance, depending on how is calculated the damage resistance, it could be more effective 1 strong fire attack than 10 weak fire attacks (even if the 10 weak attacks are launched in the same turn and their potential combined damage was greater than the strong fire attack).

48. gamingislove

gamingislove

I'll implement this in one of the next updates - and I got great news: Apple finally approved my developer enrollment, so I'll be able to test ORK on iOS now :D
    If everything works fine I'll give the official OK for iOS compatibility in a few days :)

49. dgutierrezpalma

dgutierrezpalma

Congratulations :)

I love the RPG genre, but creating a good RPG is an expensive and very time consuming task. If / when I have enough time and money to make a decent RPG, take for sure I'll use your framework because it has a lot of useful features that would make me save a lot of time. In the mean while, keep pushing and improving your product ;)

50. drewradley

drewradley

If anyone is interested I've made a simple event planner Excel spreadsheet. It's a very basic spreadsheet and has only a drop down list for the events and a column for Step Number and Next Step and Information where you can put anything else. I may refine it if people have suggestions.

http://www.box.net/shared/pl310rv2mfb5nqfxdx8r

For some reason when I downloaded it the "list" function didn't work. To fix this, select Row A and click on the Data tab and the Data Validation. Change it to "List" and add the following to the source:

=Sheet2!$A:$A

That should add the drop down list to the A column if it's not already there.