Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

ORK Okashi RPG Kit for Unity released

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by gamingislove, Nov 7, 2010.

1. brianjkd

brianjkd

Love it! Great ORK update and awesome menu system! I highly recommend this to anyone making a RPG.

2. gamingislove

gamingislove

great to hear :)
    I'll bring some tutorials for the extension soon (first on shops, as this is less work :D)

Next things to come:
    - iOS/Android support
    - new battle system features (dynamic battle with several combatants doing stuff at the same time, item/skill type sub-menus and maybe in-battle equip and party change)
    - real time battle system (extension)

3. kheng

kheng

Is there any way just to purchase the Menu/store system?

4. brianjkd

brianjkd

Awesome news about dynamic battles!

@Kheng
    Yes, you can purchase it by itself but it needs ORK 1.5 to function properly. It's an extension of ORK.

5. RoyS

RoyS

Ditto!

Kheng, I don't think the MSE will work without ORK v1.5.

6. gamingislove

gamingislove

and there it is - first Menu/Shop Extension tutorial ... let's go shopping :)
    >MSE Tutorial 1<

@kheng
    well, you can purchase it, but like the others said - it's pretty useless without ORK (1.0.5) :D

7. drewradley

drewradley

What's the easiest way to add a "point" system for raising skills and attributes rather than automatic on level up? I'm thinking of making a "store" where you can "buy" "items" that give skills and or raises status values. Can anyone think of an easier or better way with this?

8. RoyS

RoyS

Such as books. Books have also been used to raise skill points. If you pick up a book and "activate" or "use" it, then skill points are added, because you learned something by reading that book.

9. drewradley

drewradley

Yeah, and I'll make a variable that allows you to only learn from a book or item when that variable > 0 and add to it at level up (or whenever I so desire). Probably the easiest way...

10. gamingislove

gamingislove

items can change status values permanently - see the + items in the demo (e.g. STR+).
    For now you could create a choice dialogue event which checks (and reduces) a number variable and gives you these items - I'll implement an extra event step for changing status values (so buying the items and using them wouldn't be necessary).

Also I'm already planning some kind of "development system", where you can exchange experience points for status values. Since you can have more than one experience point value (but only one can level up your characters) there'd be everything you need to create complex systems. Once this comes it'll also have a backend at the Menu/Shop Extension, of course :)
    But it's still some time until this will be implemented, other things are more important :D

11. DisTrash

DisTrash

Hello,

I wonders if there is any system to manage music or sounds when actions are done in the game or with ORK.

For example, a sound or music that plays when you have reached a level or finish a quest.

Or musci management for zones in the game, for example, when i enter the zone there is a boss, the music change etc..

With fade to black audio between each zones.

Or management with cinematics.

Thanks a lot !! !! !! ;o) ;o) ;o) ^^

12. gamingislove

gamingislove

Yes, there is - you can set up music clips in ORK (which are basically audio clips in Unity, but you can add looping zones - see chapter 6 about music editor in the >editor documentation<). Music clips can be faded, crossfaded, etc.

You can use this music clips in different ways:
    - Music Player: a simple event that plays, fades or stops the current music - can be used on interaction, trigger functions, etc. (see chapter 6 about music player in the >helper documentation<)
    so you could use this to change the music when the player enters a special area.
    - Game Events: you can also control the music in events, like playing a special clip when a quest finished - you can also remember the last played music, play a new one and play the remembered afterwards. Game events give you everything you need for cinematics: camera control, animations and sounds, music, dialogues, etc.
    - Battle System: you set the battle and victory music for each battle, so you can a boss theme when it's a boss fight :)

Also you can play normal audio clips in game events and battle animations, so if you just want to play a short fanfare without stopping the music you can just play an audio clip.

And the currently played track and it's track position are saved upon save game :)

13. drewradley

drewradley

I was hoping you were planning this but didn't want to put any pressure on you. I figured the item route was the best way to go right now. It seems pretty simple to do this.

edit: just thought of something else I would like: minimap. Can that be done with the tools right now? I suppose you could set up a camera way high that it zooms to when you press the map key. But would picture in picture require hitting the code? Maybe I need to work harder on implementing Playmaker with ORK...

Last edited: Apr 29, 2011
  14. gamingislove

gamingislove

No pressure there :)
    There are lots of things I want to implement in ORK - the ultimate goal is to have everything needed for every type of RPG in it, but that's a long way ...

Also things like minimap, pathfinding, etc. will be in ORK on the long run, but for now I'm focusing on RPG stuff ... implementing a minimap with ORK shouldn't be that hard anyway, I guess there are some solutions out there so you just have to take one and make it dependent to ORKs control state (e.g. putting the code in an Update function into if(GameHandler.IsControlField()) block for FIELD control only).

Short side node - got my android license, so I'm now looking into mobile dev :)

15. DisTrash

DisTrash

Wow really cool, you do a great work with this extension !! ;)

It is possible to have multiple camera view, can choose and switch in game between them , third person view, first person view etc... ?

Is there in ORK any point and click script inside, i need one ?

Thanks a lot !! !! ;) ;) ;) ^^

16. drewradley

drewradley

Some questions if you have the time:
    Could you give us a list of what automatically uses the "Chance Settings" in the game settings? I know "Calculate Hit Chance" and "Escape Chance" does but what else?

Which is a pass on the "Chance Settings": greater than or less than? So when my character calculates hit chance with a "chance setting" of 0-10 and the "Hit Chance" formula that results in a 6, does it need to be greater than 6 to hit or less than? What about equal (not that that is very likely with a float but still)? I think it's less than but would like confirmation.

17. gamingislove

gamingislove

@DisTrash
    ORK currently works with a Camera Position system which normally uses the main camera, but in events you can use also an other camera from the scene. Basically you set up Camera Positions (which can also be for local space, etc.) and then use them in game events or battle animations (of course including fading, etc.). More on Camera Positions in chapter 5 of the >editor documentation<.
    Using other cameras in the event system (without Camera Positions) can be done by using them as actors in the event, you can then just set their position, move and rotate them around, etc.
    There will be some updates to the camera system in the next releases, some easy to use camera events and support for multiple cameras (fading/blending between them, etc.)

@drewradlay
    It's used for escape chance, item drop chance (from dead enemies), hit chance, counter chance, the random enemy AI chance, formula based item recipe creation, skill hit chance, status effect hit/end chance and in the game event and battle animation random and formula steps ...
    And it's less than, code goes random <= formula (but this may get's selectable in the future :D)

Started with android stuff - since I didn't want to retype all my HUDs and dialogue positions I've just implemented a little recalculation helper ... so you can recalc all your HUDs and DPs in their editors easily in ORK 1.0.6, pretty handy when you change the default screen size in the project editor :D

18. drewradley

drewradley

Thanks!

19. drewradley

drewradley

Is there any way to add a back button to a menu with the CHARACTER_INFO tag? I tried to add another "Part" with a back button but that is never clickable. As it is now when you hit "escape" and click on "status" you only have the option of closing down the menu and not going back to the main menu with all the choices..

edit: I also just discovered a bug. If the player character has no MP and you click on "skills" in battle it opens the skill panel but since the PC doesn't have any MP, you can't close it in any way.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2011
  20. gamingislove

gamingislove

If you've set ub the Cancel key in the game settings (in project editor) you can use that to get back in whatever menu (in-game, status, battle) you currently are :)

But as I've tested android yesterday - yeah, for mobile or mouse only gameplay that could be a problem, I'll get this in the next release :D

21. ognjenm

ognjenm

unityexception:Input Button is not setup. ? wtf

22. gamingislove

gamingislove

you need to set up all keys in the game settings (can be found in the project editor) - and you need to set up the keys with the name you used there in Unity's input settings (Edit > Project Settings > Input).
    If you're using the Menu/Shop Extension you'll also need to set up the menu call key in the menu editor and Unity's input settings.

23. criniit

criniit

I was playing the demo...is it possible to display the enemy health anywhere? I wasn't seeing it displayed at all during battles.

24. yung

yung

Placed my order on this. Can't wait to get it. By the way, any chance to get the source material for the demo? It would help me greatly if I could see how things are done.

25. gamingislove

gamingislove

@criniit
    Currently the HUD system only allows displaying party member informations, but there'll be an update that allows displaying enemy information as well.

@Yung
    ORK contains a complete demo project (which is basically the demo from the website, but without the Menu/Shop Extension, of course), if you also buy the MSE you'll get 2 updates for the demo, one for each demo on the website.

Working on android support doing great, getting my own GUI system on the road faster than I've thought :)

My planned release order is as follows.
    - iOS/Android support (replacing Unity's GUI system with my own and a simple touch mover)
    - battle system updates (dynamic battles, etc, as I've already said earlier)
    - camera handling improvements
    - HUD system updates
    - real time battle system

26. yung

yung

Nice! You got yourself another repeating customer. Place order on MSE as well. I'll be looking forward to your real-time combat extensions.
    Any hint on how it will be like? Dragon Age/Neverwinter night style?

27. gamingislove

gamingislove

Well, as ORK in general, I'll try to make it as flexible as possible allowing different real time battle styles :)
    E.g. choosing commands from a menu, using commands directly via buttons, button-combos, etc.
    There'll also be skill casting times (and they can optionally be canceled when the caster gets attacked) and other stuff ...

I'm always open for user input in the development process, since it's you guys who are making games with it I'll try to have it your way :D

28. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

What i am interested in is if there is an estimated time frame to when the ios functionality will be ready?
    I mean will it be more in 4 weeks or 3 month or 6 month?
    I know, in the end it is ready when it is ready and i do not want to push here.

I just ask because to get an idea what project i should start now at first.

Thank you.

29. gamingislove

gamingislove

End of May is pretty realistic ... the basics of my new GUI system are already working and I'm quite positive that it'll be finished within a week. All there is left to do after this is replacing everything in the kit ...

30. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

Great to hear :)

31. shabazzster

shabazzster

whats up with the assets store prices how much is Ork up to now?!

32. yung

yung

I am guessing he pushed the price higher in Asset Store for Unity Store takes 30% of the cut per sale. In other words, just buy from him straight :D

33. gamingislove

gamingislove

yeah ... the problem with the asset store is the price range, I could have them sell ORK for either 150 dollar (which is lower than my own store) or 200 dollar, nothing between ...
    I'd love to have it cheaper in the asset store, but not cheaper than my own store while having -30 % :)
    And they have a funny way of calculating the Euro price from US-Dollar :D

34. Deleted User

Deleted User

Do you have any estimates on when the real time combat extension will be ready? I dont mean to sound impertinent or anything like that (you really put together a great product). I just have multiple styles of RPG projects in the planning phase, and I am wondering if I should go ahead and start working on the action RPG on my own or wait for the extension.

35. yung

yung

Got a question regarding battle animation. I have a model from Dexsoft that has some custom animation. I have tried many times but no matter what I do, I could not get the animation to play during battle.

What I did was that I duplicated Evil Pants Prefab, replaced it with the barbarian fbx, and go into the project editor -> Enemy tab, duplicated another entry from Evil pants, and insert the names in battle animation, that matches the one I set in the FBX. Here's the setting I made for inspection. http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y94/Velsthinez/rpgmaker.jpg

Must the animation list follow exactly as the one set in the Demo?

Another question, I noticed that the base animation is fixed, is there anyway to customized the list and expand it, like maybe a UltimateSkill or something.

Thanks in advance for any help, much appreciated!

36. drewradley

drewradley

Yung, what I did was to duplicate the animations and rename them to match the ORK naming convention. Then use the renamed duplicates instead of the original.

37. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

So i have another question and that is about how i can/should update my project with newer versions of ORK.
    If i start now with a fresh ORK system, how can i then later, when the ios version come out, renew the files the best way so that i do not lost to much work?
    Do i just have to copy the new ORK scripts over the old by hand?

38. yung

yung

drewradley, thanks alot! I managed to fix it. Turns out I have to drag the original fbx into the prefab (forgot to do that), and once that's done the animation is working. Is there anyway to link the fbx and the prefab made with the prefab to auto update? I remember Unity does auto-update. This is rather weird.

39. gamingislove

gamingislove

@Tofudude624
    I can't really tell you a time, but it'll be at least 2-3 month ...

@M_Stolley
    As long as you didn't change anything in the code you can simply import the scripts without having problems. Same goes for the gizmo icons - but you should never reimport the resources in an existing project, this will override your project data (items, skills, characters, ... everything).

@animations
    The animation names you enter in the project editor (for enemies and characters) are used by the battle animations (battle system > battle animation editor), when setting up battle animations you can select them from a popup menu - this way you can have the same battle animation across multiple characters and enemies, even if their animation names are different.
    Of course you can also play animations by name in the battle animations :)

40. rmarceligame

rmarceligame

Hi, I am working on an final fantasy tactics look alike as a practice tittle. Do you have any plans to create plug ins to accommodate this style? Thank you so much for your great product. Looking forward to getting it once it has what I need.

41. oem

oem

I'm pretty noob with coding, but keep getting this error in the XMLHandler which doesn't allow me to Save Settings...

Error: XML couldn't be parsed: Cannot be negative.
    Parameter name: length

I've tried changing the value to 0 or +1 from -1, but it just gives a new error of...

';' is expected. Insert a semicolon at the end.

The weird thing is the lines giving errors already have semicolons at the end, what can I do?

Thanks.

Last edited: May 10, 2011
  42. gamingislove

gamingislove

The error means that there is something wrong with your project XML files ... please zip them up (Assets/Resources/ProjectSettings and Assets/Resources/Events) and send them to ork@rpg-kit.com along with your order information.
    I'll take a look at it and see where the problem is :)

43. shabazzster

shabazzster

Hi, I was wondering if it is possible to have 1 continuous flow of music, like a radio station, regardless of level changes.

I see that ork doesn't destroy the track when it loads another level ( and thats a great start) but how do I keep it going as one continuous sound track, with the songs playing one after the other, forever, throughout the different levels of my game?

For an example of what i'm talking about, check out Eve online. And you will see(hear) that their music is continuous, without any triggers, on all their levels of space. It's like having your own radio station in the game. Does this make sense, and is this possible with ork?

Thanks

44. gamingislove

gamingislove

For now there is not really a way to do it (without scripting it yourself), but it's a great idea - I'll make it happen in one of the next updates :)

The new GUI system had a little stand still this week, got a bit held up by fonts - but I'm nearly there to get the right letters out of the font texture created by unity.
    The new GUI system will still use GUISkins, so the only thing you'd need to change in your projects is having readable images in your GUISkin (so you'd have to replace the default skin images, because you can't change their import settings - I'll add lookalikes to the resources :D).

45. shabazzster

shabazzster

Thats cool, I was able to over come it by using a state machine (play, wait, stop) type of algorithm, and then i put "don't destroy on load" on it.

So thats one idea you could use when you have time to focus on it.
    Thanks.

46. gamingislove

gamingislove

I'll go more with a playlist approach where a music clip can be a playlist (including random playing, etc) ...

Also I've managed to work out how Unity gets single letters out of font textures :)
    Still need the font kerning to work properly though ... but the new GUI system is already looking good.

47. yung

yung

Is there a way to create an external camera in the editor, maybe animate the camera as well, then pipe that into the ORK editor? The current method of creating cameras relies on the internal editor, and I find it hard to visualize just how the camera will look like when run, without alot of trial and errors?

Regarding this as well, if theres any way to make the battle animation work the same way, it will really save alot of time. Perhaps a button inside to preview those battle animations you made?

48. gamingislove

gamingislove

There will be an update to the camera system after the iOS/Android update. Camera positions wont be animated though ... but you can already use a camera as an actor in the event system, use the move functions or animate it :)
    I'm afraid there is no possibility to preview battle animations, and there wont be for the time being...

The new GUI system is doing well, fonts are working like a charm now :D

49. aigam

aigam

The ios/android update is something that I want to see :D
    What it will have? Only a drawcalls friendly system for the interface, or it will have some extra features?

50. gamingislove

gamingislove

Well, for now it will bring the new GUI system for better performance and a simple player control for touch devices (also for mouse control, of course), the control also allows you to set a position marker where you've clicked, and setting the layers used for raycasting.
    Maybe I'll implement some touch control buttons right away if there is time, otherwise they'll come with the HUD system update (the HUD will work with the new GUI system with the iOS/android update, but I'll implement some new stuff in one of the next updates after this).