Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

ORK Okashi RPG Kit for Unity released

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by gamingislove, Nov 7, 2010.

1. RyuMaster

RyuMaster

drewradley, I think Okashi has high-level support for the formulas. you do not mess with the actual code, but set formulas from within the editor

2. drewradley

drewradley

I know that but it does have a built in random 1-100 hit probability written into the code and if it's as simple to change as changing one line in a few different scripts, I might do that.

3. gamingislove

gamingislove

Check the BattleAction, BattleSystem, Character, Combatant, Enemy, EnemyAI, Equipment, ItemRecipe, Skill and StatusEffect classes.
    Also for events and battle animations the BaseASteps and BaseSteps classes.

I'll put on my list that the random range for those checks can be edited in the project editor for more convenience :)

4. drewradley

drewradley

Something's off somewhere. I made a formula that was only a value of 1 and used that as the characters hit probability and he hit more often than 1% of the time. A lot more. But not anywhere near 99% so it's not the opposite. It seems to work for the enemies. Adjusting that value up and down seems to adjust the enemy's hit chance but not the player. Is there any way to see what the actual formula, etc is doing in game? (i.e the "dice" rolls?)

Just to clarify, I did not mess around with the code. This is just using the RPG editor system.

edit: Oh, and I would love to have the hit probability editable in the editors. I cringe when I look at the code.

another edit: I figured out if I make my own battle animation it works fine. Something seems to be off in the default attack battle animation. Maybe it's just me...

Last edited: Mar 19, 2011
  5. gamingislove

gamingislove

Well, a characters attack (and hit chance) can also be changed by an equipped weapon, I guess your character has a weapon equipped which overwrites the base attack and hit chance?

6. drewradley

drewradley

You are correct. I completely forgot about that. Some mornings my brain stays asleep longer than the rest of me...

7. DigitalShock

DigitalShock

I would like to request more Tutorials. maybe some tutorials with animated meshes etc from a blank project.

8. hajasal_sk

hajasal_sk

I'd also love to see some new tutorials! I'm not certain I would have been able to get going with this thing without the first 3.

9. DigitalShock

DigitalShock

Some random screenshots of a quick test on the iOS.

Currently running iPhone 2G and it runs really slow. I believe maybe because of the Unity UI draw calls... I'll test on an iPad or iPhone 3gs/4 later.

Its great because the current setup I have allows me to develop on both PC/MAC and enable mouse controls too to test on PC/MAC and do final testing on the iOS platform itself.

Funny part with iOS is it will register mouse inputs as touch inputs. even though I disabled the default touch code for iOS it registers and works. To be honest the mouse inputs seem to work better then the touch inputs.

edit:
    Side note the test was done with default texture size at 1024x each character. when reducing the size through the editor it did help in performance. I'm still interested to see how well it will run on a 3gs and an 4. Still lags probably due to the UI

The other bug I found was when you enter battle then exit battle all UI is done. its function is still there you just dont see it. I also noticed if you start from the start menu then load into the world the UI goes invisible as well.

Edit:
    Tested on iPod Touch 3rd Gen and it works great. still a little slow due to draw calls but much faster.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2011
  10. drewradley

drewradley

Any updates on when the menu package will be done?

11. gamingislove

gamingislove

ORK 1.0.4 released
    Brings improved event editor workflow, new event steps, allows weapons to overwrite all animations of a character and formula if-cases. And some other stuff too :D

Changelog:
    • new: Game Events: Dialogue/Choice can display a portrait (image) for the speaker.
    • new: Game Events: Parent object step, parent/unparent actor's or prefabs.
    • new: Event Editor: Improved event step workflow, add or move steps at certain positions.
    • new: Dialogue Positions: Name box GUISkin.
    • new: Formulas: If-condition, formula step can be made dependent on a certain value.
    • new: Weapons: Now can overwrite all of a characters animations.
    • new: Game Settings: Set the minimum and maximum for chance checks (e.g. hit chance, escape chance, etc.).
    • new: Gizmo: Music Player now has a gizmo icon.
    • fix: Event saving on Mac OSX: When first saving/loading an event, the correct subfolder in your project is selected.
    • fix: Save game loading: Loading a save game with multiple known item recipes caused an error.
    • fix: Characters/Enemies: Base animation names now can include spaces.

Update has already been sent out to you guys. Asset store is currently uploading ...

@Tutorials
    Hope I can do some small tutorials soon - but currently the focus lies (still) on the menu system ...
    Which brings me to ...

@Menu system
    I'm still on it :D
    Everythings working now, but I still need to implement drag+drop and some other stuff. No date yet ...

@iOS
    As soon as the iPad2 is available in good old europe (and I get my hands on one) I'm on it :)

12. drewradley

drewradley

Well, if you need any testers for your menu system, I volunteer. :) Really anxious to get my hands on it -- I hate not being able to have a character sheet I can look at!

13. gamingislove

gamingislove

New Tutorial 4: Changing Scenes
    A new tutorial video about using Scene Changers and Spawn Points is ready. It also gives a short introduction to game variables and how to use them to prevent an event from executing again :)

>Tutorial 4: Changing Scenes<

14. RoyS

RoyS

Thank you for the tutorial, gamingislove.

Can't wait for the new menu system, either. Will purchase that whenever it's ready.

15. drewradley

drewradley

Hell, I'll purchase it before it's ready as long as it more or less works. :)

16. gamingislove

gamingislove

I'm working on it ... it's complex creating a flexible menu system for all kinds of gameplay styles :D

meanwhile a short preview on stuff in the next update:
    - dialogue positions can be dragable windows
    - default choice selection with cancel button
    - choice dialogue positions in form of a ring :)

17. DisTrash

DisTrash

Hello,

All the features are great !! Thanks !!

If this one is not in the package i suggest it :

Possibility to collect extra bonus items randomly, with quest or mission, items of differents collections randomly as a bonus.

Possibility for a quest to be limited in time, and after that's done.

Possibility to add important news or informations in a quest book and updates directly in it (text) when quests are accommplished and done.

Thanks a lot !

Best Regards.

PS : Have you pause system, and time or calandar system in ORK ?

;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

18. gamingislove

gamingislove

Collecting items (no difference between normal or bonus items, you can define them however you want) through quests/missions or just picking them up from the ground ... everything in there :)

Quest limited in time - already in there with ORKs event system (and number variables).

Add information to quest book is theoretically possible, but there is no menu backend yet - this will come with the menu system addon.

There is no real pause system, ORK reacts on Unity's pause functionality and the menu system will enable you to switch to pause.
    Time/calendar system isn't specifically in there, because you can do this easily with ... ORKs event system :D

19. DisTrash

DisTrash

For Bonus items, i think about to collections of items, added randomly to inventory when you finish a quest or missions, not picked up from the ground.

Thanks for all your informations.

Best Regards.
    ;) ;) ;)

20. gamingislove

gamingislove

that's done through the event system, just add an item at the last event of the quest. Adding a random item could be done using a random step and add item steps afterwards ...

21. gamingislove

gamingislove

sorry for the double, but I've got some screens from the menu system editors for you :)

>menu settings<
    shows mainly the character selection settings

>requirements<
    using them you can control which menu screens will be available to the player (e.g. only allow item creation when he has a special item) ... I still need to get some stuff in there :)

>screen settings1<
    a possible setup for the main screen

>screen settings 2<
    a possible setup for an item screen

>screen settings 3<
    a possible setup for an equipment screen

I'm making good progress, but still some things to do.
    Dropping items back into the world and saving the positions (so the items will still be there when you leave the map or on a saved game) is already working smoothly :D

22. joel

joel

@gamingislove, great work! :D

the handling of party's (switching characters and such) will this work in and out of battle? :)
    looking forward to the release :)

23. RoyS

RoyS

Awesome! This made my day!

24. gamingislove

gamingislove

ORK - making days since November 2010 :D

party handling will for now only work within the menu, but I'll implement this in the battle system in the near future (this also requires animations for switching the characters, etc.)

btw, the menu system will also include a shop system, but I don't know if I'll be able to implement this already in the first release...

25. GarethF

GarethF

Exciting stuff, love this kit!

26. r1chard3

r1chard3

Is anyone having troulbe making a Build?

I am having trouble achieving a Build. I tried making a build after doing the tutorials in Javascript and got the error:

Assets/RPG Kit/GUI/StatusBar.js(177,17): BCE0005: Unknown identifier: 'EditorGUILayout'.

Error building Player because scripts had compiler errors
    UnityEditor.HostView:OnGUI()

Exception: Error building Player because scripts had compiler errors
    UnityEditor.BuildPlayerWindow.BuildPlayerWithDefaultSettings (Boolean askForBuildLocation, BuildOptions forceOptions) (at C:/BuildAgent/work/6bc5f79e0a4296d6/Editor/Mono/BuildPlayerWindow.cs:341)
    UnityEditor.BuildPlayerWindow.GUIBuildButtons (Boolean enableBuildButton, Boolean enableBuildAndRunButton, Boolean canInstallInBuildFolder) (at C:/BuildAgent/work/6bc5f79e0a4296d6/Editor/Mono/BuildPlayerWindow.cs:942)
    UnityEditor.BuildPlayerWindow.ShowBuildTargetSettings () (at C:/BuildAgent/work/6bc5f79e0a4296d6/Editor/Mono/BuildPlayerWindow.cs:923)
    UnityEditor.BuildPlayerWindow.OnGUI () (at C:/BuildAgent/work/6bc5f79e0a4296d6/Editor/Mono/BuildPlayerWindow.cs:697)
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture)
    Rethrow as TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture)
    System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Object[] parameters)
    UnityEditor.HostView.Invoke (System.String methodName, System.Object obj) (at C:/BuildAgent/work/6bc5f79e0a4296d6/Editor/Mono/GUI/DockArea.cs:213)
    UnityEditor.HostView.Invoke (System.String methodName) (at C:/BuildAgent/work/6bc5f79e0a4296d6/Editor/Mono/GUI/DockArea.cs:206)
    UnityEditor.HostView.OnGUI () (at C:/BuildAgent/work/6bc5f79e0a4296d6/Editor/Mono/GUI/DockArea.cs:107)

I then tried making a Build of the Demo example and got the same errors.

The last thing I tried was setting up a C# RPG project and did the tutorials again and tried to Build.

Assets/RPG Kit/GUI/StatusBar.cs(2,7): error CS0246: The type or namespace name `UnityEditor' could not be found. Are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?

UnityEditor.BuildPlayerWindow.BuildPlayerWithDefaultSettings (Boolean askForBuildLocation, BuildOptions forceOptions) (at C:/BuildAgent/work/6bc5f79e0a4296d6/Editor/Mono/BuildPlayerWindow.cs:341)
    UnityEditor.BuildPlayerWindow.GUIBuildButtons (Boolean enableBuildButton, Boolean enableBuildAndRunButton, Boolean canInstallInBuildFolder) (at C:/BuildAgent/work/6bc5f79e0a4296d6/Editor/Mono/BuildPlayerWindow.cs:942)
    UnityEditor.BuildPlayerWindow.ShowBuildTargetSettings () (at C:/BuildAgent/work/6bc5f79e0a4296d6/Editor/Mono/BuildPlayerWindow.cs:923)
    UnityEditor.BuildPlayerWindow.OnGUI () (at C:/BuildAgent/work/6bc5f79e0a4296d6/Editor/Mono/BuildPlayerWindow.cs:697)
    Rethrow as TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
    System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Object[] parameters)
    UnityEditor.HostView.Invoke (System.String methodName, System.Object obj) (at C:/BuildAgent/work/6bc5f79e0a4296d6/Editor/Mono/GUI/DockArea.cs:213)
    UnityEditor.HostView.Invoke (System.String methodName) (at C:/BuildAgent/work/6bc5f79e0a4296d6/Editor/Mono/GUI/DockArea.cs:206)
    UnityEditor.HostView.OnGUI () (at C:/BuildAgent/work/6bc5f79e0a4296d6/Editor/Mono/GUI/DockArea.cs:107)

Is there some problem with my environment such that the UnityEditor namespace can't be found?

Thank You

27. r1chard3

r1chard3

Is anyone having trouble making a Build?

I am having trouble achieving a Build. I tried making a build after doing the tutorials in Javascript and got the error:

Assets/RPG Kit/GUI/StatusBar.js(177,17): BCE0005: Unknown identifier: 'EditorGUILayout'.

Error building Player because scripts had compiler errors
    UnityEditor.HostView:OnGUI()

I then tried making a Build of the Demo example and got the same errors.

The last thing I tried was setting up a C# RPG project and did the tutorials again and tried to Build.

Assets/RPG Kit/GUI/StatusBar.cs(2,7): error CS0246: The type or namespace name `UnityEditor' could not be found. Are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?

Is there some problem with my environment such that the UnityEditor namespace can't be found?

Thank You

28. r1chard3

r1chard3

Sorry about the double post. I did solve my problem tho,

Assets/RPG Kit/GUI/StatusBar.js

needs to be in

Assets/Editor/StatusBar.js

Did anyone else need to move that file?

29. gamingislove

gamingislove

yeah, this is a bug which only appears when trying to build the game - it's because the statusbar.js has some editor code in it.
    you can simply delete this file, because it's yet unused in ORK, bugfix was already sent out to my customers, assetstore will get the fix in the next version....

btw, menu system will also include a quest log editor :)

30. gamingislove

gamingislove

just to inform you guys - menu+shop addon development is nearing its end, expect the release within April.

features:
    - menu system with standard ingame menu stuff (items, equipment, party management, recipes, status, etc)
    - quest log
    - shop system
    - dropping stuff back into the game world (and optional saving of position when leaving scene or saving game)
    - can be used for FF-style or MMO style menus

31. drewradley

drewradley

Awesome! I am so looking forward to that. Any idea on the price? Need to make sure I budget that!

32. RoyS

RoyS

Ditto! You have another buyer here waiting for it. You've done such a fantastic job with ORK, gamingislove.

Just curious. What are some future plans once the menu system is out?

33. gamingislove

gamingislove

price isn't fixed yet, but expect max 50 euros, but most likely below that ...

next things to come for ORK are:
    - iOS/android support (with hopefully better GUI performance), will be most likely an update :)
    - real time battle system, addon

34. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

iOS support Yes :)
    real time battle system Yes :)

35. RoyS

RoyS

Double Yes !! :)

36. Wrecking-Cube

Wrecking-Cube

Does anyone know if SpriteManager 2 works with ORK?

I am trying to start a 2D game with ORK and I am having trouble with the animations. I can't figure out how to get the animations to register with the ORK editor. Anyone have a clue how to do this?...if SpriteManager doesn't work.

Am I stuck with having to edit the ORK code or is there a way to get my sprite sheet to load into the ORK editor?

Last edited: Apr 14, 2011
  37. gamingislove

gamingislove

I'd need to know how sprite animations are called in script in order to help you on this topic - PM me a line of code :)

@general ORK updates
    forgot to hint out some of the future improvements :D
    I'm thinking about integrating node based formulas and events and some other stuff ...

38. Bravini

Bravini

great work on ork, I"m going to buy it next month, gonna save me hundreds of work hours.

I haven't gone through all the demo, the enemies on the map keep killing me, but is there any power up items that give permanent status bonus? And is it in your plan to implement smart battle system, like on Suikoden II and Final Fantasy X where the player/monster can do it's action while another action is being performed by other agents, making the battle more dynamic.

39. gamingislove

gamingislove

I'm not sure if you can get them in the demo, but the demo project contains some power ups for permanent status improvements ... the new demo containing the menu/shop addon will give you the ability to buy some :D
    Yes, there are plans to allow a more dynamic battles (optional of course) - will be ready within some weeks I guess ...

Menu/shop system news:
    development finished ... finally ...... porting to JS also done, currently testing in both script versions. Once this is done I'll write the documentation, set up new demos (one for FF-style, one for drag+drop style) and ... release it :)
    Can't guarantee this weekend, but it'll be out end of next week at the latest!

Some pretty cool stuff in there, can't wait to show :D

40. drewradley

drewradley

Awesome! If you need another tester I volunteer! :)

41. gamingislove

gamingislove

Now all of you can test it, I've set up 2 demos showing the Menu/Shop Extension (as it's officially named, short MSE :D)

>check out the demos<

The release is still a few days away ...

42. brianjkd

brianjkd

Just checked out the demos, Awesome! Looking forward to the release!

Last edited: Apr 23, 2011
  43. drewradley

drewradley

That is beautiful! Love it. Can't wait to get my hands on it and add it to my game!

44. gamingislove

gamingislove

glad you guys like it - release is still a few days away, writing documentation is always the hardest part :D

45. fghajhe

fghajhe

Looks very cool. Best inventory menu/ system I have seen by far in Unity.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2011
  46. hima

hima

Just want to tell you that I've been watching this product for a long time and when I'm going to make an RPG I'll buy it for sure :)

47. gamingislove

gamingislove

Release of the Menu/Shop Extension is nearing ... I should have everything ready by tomorrow evening :)

48. drewradley

drewradley

49. gamingislove

gamingislove

At last - it is done :D

ORK 1.0.5
    This version brings an dragable dialogue positions , new battle animation steps (send/broadcast message), drag and drop functionality for the battle menu and a bug fix for the build bug.

Changelog:
    • new: Dialogue Positions: Drag window option
    • new: Items, Weapons, Armors: Dropable option
    • new: Battle Animations: Send/broadcast message steps
    • new: Battle System: Drag and double click options for battle menu
    • new: Game Settings: Pause time option, drop settings, money/time text settings
    • new: Main Menu: Exit to main menu settings
    • fix: Building: Building a game throwed an error because of editor code outside editor folder

... and ...

Menu/Shop Extension released (sold separately) :)
    The Menu/Shop Extension adds a complete menu and shop system to the ORK Okashi RPG Kit.
    It also includes a quest log system to keep your player informed about quests and progress - and it brings drag and drop functionality to ORK!
    Drop items back into the game world or start events by dropping items on them - a lot of new possibilities!

Try the demos created with ORK and MSE: >Demo<
    Read more about the extension: >click me<

Yeah, phew ... :D

50. Hans

Hans

Hello gamingislove

this is great news - purchasing Menu/Shop Extension and waiting for my update email for ORK Okashi RPG Kit :)

Last edited: Apr 27, 2011