Search Unity

ORK Framework - The complete RPG Engine for Unity 5

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by gamingislove, Jan 15, 2014.

1. U2

U2

Sorry for a double post but decided to move this question here as I realized the other thread was for the older version.

Hello,

Fantastic asset! I have run into a little bit of a configuration problem and was wondering if the dev or anyone could help. Basically in my game I am using the turn based battle system and for those battles I want them to happen in a different part of my scene in set arenas. So I changed the simpleStart event to move the arena waypoint to where I would like my battle to take place which works great. The problem I have run into is on completion, victory etc.. I am having a hard time figuring out how to return the player to where they initialized the battle in the original world area. I was wondering if anyone knows how I might accomplish this? As a side note unless I am totally missing something having an option in the battle positions section of the framework to set a default battle position in world space for something like this would be really nice. As it is it seems by default it uses the intialization location then sets the player positions for that spot. Thanks in advance for any ideas.

So in a nutshell I'd like to have my turn based battles happen in a different location than where they are triggered. Is there a proper way to set this up?

2. gamingislove

gamingislove

ORK Framework 2.1.0 news

The big update will be out by the end of this week, some new stuff:

- inventory notifications when the player's inventory changes (e.g. adding an item)
    - remove status effect battle texts
    - stopping music when starting a new game is now optional

The new quest system is fully integrated now, more infos can be found >here<.

@Computerkid23
    I guess we've already talked via email?
    If not - haven't yet played borderlands, so can't tell, but fallout/skyrim can be done :)

@U2
    Here's a >gameplay tutorial< on how to do battles in a different scene.
    If you only want to have the battle in a different part of the same scene, you can either use the Store Scene and Load Scene steps of this tutorial to return to the previous position, or use the Set Scene Position step in the battle start event to remember the position and a Change Position step in the battle end event to return to this position.

3. cynel

cynel

so are there issues ORK had with 4.5 update ?

4. gamingislove

gamingislove

ORK Framework 2.1.0 released

This update brings a new Quest System (including menu, event and HUD integration), advanced Vector3 operations with game variables, lots of new and improved event steps and a bunch of other new features and fixes.

Full release notes can be found >here<.

As always, the update has already been sent out to customers and should soon be available in the Asset Store :)

@cynel
    I haven't yet upgraded (due to ORK 2.1.0 still supporting Unity 4.3), but I haven't seen anything in the update list that should cause any problems :)

5. cynel

cynel

im just nervous because i updated to 4.5.

6. U2

U2

Thanks so much for your response! This is a huge help for me. :grin:

7. gamingislove

gamingislove

Special offer

ORK Framework is now $20 off in the >Unity Asset Store<!
    Get it for only $70 intead of $90, offer until 8 June 2014!

8. nasos_333

nasos_333

Thanks for the update, i guess it is time to replace my 2.0.3 version :)

Is there a plan for the next update ? Asking so i can program the best time to upgrade.

9. gamingislove

gamingislove

Next update in about 2-3 weeks :)

10. gamingislove

gamingislove

ORK Framework 2.1.1. news

Check out what's coming in the next update >here<.

11. cynel

cynel

Hopefully when 4.6 comes out ORK will be reworked to use that GUI.

12. gamingislove

gamingislove

ORK Framework 2.1.1 news

Awesome new Equipment Part features coming in the next update:
    You can add additional equipment parts to combatants, either permanently (through items and the event system) or temporarily (through passive abilities, equipment and status effects).
    And you can add blocked equipment parts the same way - blocked parts pretty much remove an equipment part from a combatant.

More information here.

@cynel
    When 4.6 and the new GUI ever come out, ORK Framework will use it :)

13. cynel

cynel

too bad UMA isn't on top of the list.

14. nasos_333

nasos_333

Hi,

An urgent question, i get error (2.0.3 version) in my old code on ORK.Game.ActiveGroup.GroupTarget, says it does not exist in ORKFramework.Group.

Is it changed to something else ?

Thanks

Last edited: Jun 8, 2014
  15. gamingislove

gamingislove

And that's it - the special offer is now gone :)

@nasos_333
    I guess we already solved this via email?
    For those also interested in this topic, the group targets have been changed when the individual targets where added to the framework. You can access group targets through the group's SelectedTargets property.

16. nasos_333

nasos_333

Yes thanks, i got everything working fine again :)

17. cynel

cynel

so whats the next Update

18. gamingislove

gamingislove

ORK Framework 2.1.1 news

New stuff coming to Status Values:
    - Consumable status values can use others as barriers (i.e. they'll consume damage instead)
    - death on maximum :)
    More details here.

19. cynel

cynel

that was fast

20. gamingislove

gamingislove

More ORK Framework 2.1.1 news

- collision camera settings, can be used with all built-in and custom camera controls, and also while doing event camera changes
    - float values can be based on the real daytime and real date/time

Check it out here.

21. gamingislove

gamingislove

ORK Framework 2.1.1 released

Another bigger update ... new Collision Camera (supports all built-in and custom controls and is even active during events), use real time of day or date/time as float values, new barrier settings for consumable status values, and abilities, items, equipment and status effects can add additional equipment parts – and lots of other new features and fixes.

Full release notes here.

As always, the update has already been sent out to customers and should be in the Asset Store soon :)

22. nasos_333

nasos_333

Thanks, just received and integraded :)

Very nice new features, as always

EDIT: Some questions

Seems when i try to cast a power that needs target and is one near, the menu comes up, but when i press "A" it does not cast and returns to the menu. When i press the mouse on the selection GUI it works fine. This did not happen before (v 2.0.3)

Also i remember an option was added when no target is near to not let the menu come up, where can i find it ?

Thanks

EDIT 2: Sometimes when i hit the enemy, he will dissapear instantly than play the death and blacken animations/transitions.

The instant dissapear did not happen in v2.0.3 (the remain on scene after death did happen)

EDIT2a:
    Also in some occassions enemies remain on scene in the black stage and i cant interact, plus no spawns happen from the spanwer like the creature was still alive. This happens just before death is triggered, since health is zero for the enemy. Sometimes happens before the blacken state as well, so health is zero, cant interact, does not dissapear and looks normal (not black).
    I dont get a GUI with combat summary or experience, so happens before that state.

This was a problem in previous versions too, before 2.0.3

EDIT 3: When i get hit with a specific power (poison i think), the hero clothes become white, this happened in v2.0.3 too i think
    EDIT3a: Seems the textures remain, only the color changes and remains white for some reason, it is not restored to the original one.

EDIT 4: The creatures i kill will respawn in other places than the initial spawner place. Usually near the point they die

EDIT 5: Enemies will sometimes wander among my party without attacking, sometimes get stuck and i cant kill them either. Also cant target them at that state.

EDIT 6: Sometimes powers seem to be applied a while after the hit, for example i have a knockback power than moves the hero away from the enemy when he is hit. Sometimes will do the movement long after the hit takes place (this happened in v2.0.3 too)

EDIT 7: In rare occasions the hero locks up and i cant cycle party members or move etc (i found this problem cause, for some reason the buttonPlayerController got disabled, checking to see what happened)
    EDIT 7a: Happens right after i kill an enemy and the GUI with text appears.
    EDIT 7b: When it starts, will always disable the script after i perform an action (after i manualy enable it again to keep the hero playing)

EDIT 8: For some reason i cant cycle between only 3 members of the team, i did not do anything ORK related. I tried to disable the "select from battle group" too and still can only select 3 of the 5
    EDIT 8a: I loaded another scene and i can select them all again, probably it is scene related, checking it out.
    EDIT 8b: Solved this one, for some reason the _ORK item was left after play mode and when i deleted was created properly.

I used v2.0.3 before (real time combat), so some of the above may be releated to the new target system, but i cant tell what i would have to change to make them work right again, maybe some steps with the old system now lead to a dead lock ?

Cases 2a, 4,5 and 7 are a main problem since they can break the game, the rest are not that critical

Last edited: Jun 16, 2014
  23. gamingislove

gamingislove

ORK Framework 2.1.2 released

This time it's a smaller update, but still some good stuff in there - new target requirements in abilities and items, combatants near a starting battle can automatically join the battle, barriers can be ignored and other small features, changes and fixes

For more details, see the full release notes.

@nasos_333
    I think we got the most crucial problems in this update - let me know what's left of your problems :)

nasos_333 likes this.
  24. nasos_333

nasos_333

Thanks a lot for the help :)

I just downloaded the pack and will try it out today

EDIT: I have played the game with the update and works so far

Some more questions:

When i kill an enemy coming from a certain spawner, he will come back at a spot other than the spawner, which is a gameobject parented to the Battle Gameobject and says "_EnemySpot0"

Is this happening because of some setting i have used to allow enemies spawn at different places ?

EDIT2: I noticed the monster is spawned in the spawner and then is instantly teleported to the spot described above

EDIT3: I disabled one spawner and now everything works ok !!!! :), seems this is solved :)

EDIT4: Unfortunately i had another disable of the ButtonPlayer Controller :(. Maybe i could add a script that will always check if an action has finished and always re-enable it ? Would that work, or would conflict with cut scenes and other ORK stuff ?

The good news is that seems now is far more rare, so i can test the game rather fine i guess :)

The joystick issue is fine

Thanks

Last edited: Jun 27, 2014
  25. cynel

cynel

I was wondering in theory is it possible to make it a Episodic Format.

26. Mr_Manza

Mr_Manza

I know you get asked this all the Time, but a 2D Tutorial would be Epic, that being said I am one to try and learn on my own so I have a quick question, say I already have a character Controller and camera control, will the AI behavior still work the same? is there a way I can only make them move and hunt on one axis? I am new to all of this and just trying to cover my bases, thanks! love the software!

27. nasos_333

nasos_333

I have a 2.5D setup, which basically requires a few modifications to the TouchCamera, Simplemove and ButtonPlayerController scripts, in order to lock the creatures to one plane.

Everything else is the same i guess, you can apply the restrictions with many ways, like colliders to keep the levels narrow etc.

28. gamingislove

gamingislove

ORK Framework 2.1.3 released

This update brings new interaction start types, command to change combatants in battles, new Battle AI steps, checking/changing variables in loot tables and lots of other new features and fixes.
    See the full release notes here.

As always, the update has already been sent out to customers and should be available in the Asset Store shortly :)

@nasos_333
    Drop me an email with your remaining problems :)

@cynel
    In theory, yes - but I haven't yet tried it. Splitting the ORK Project data into different packages isn't possible, but loading/adding scenes that way shouldn't be a problem ...

@Mr_Manza
    I guess you've already found the way to the ORK Community forum :)

29. nasos_333

nasos_333

Thanks, i will email when i have tested a bit more, so i can better pinpoint the exact problems :)

Now there are only minor issues left, some are critical minor (meaning they should be fixed in the final game), but i can test the game fine since they are very rare and thus we can take our time fixing them :)

30. cynel

cynel

Well i was asking because i was planning to split My Project into Episodes and i wanted a way to make the player stats carry over.

31. gamingislove

gamingislove

New game tutorial
    Finally, the new game tutorial on loot is ready.
    It replaces Evil Pants current use of the start inventory as loot with a standard loot table and adds a special one time drop.
    The next game tutorial will cover ... something, haven't decided yet :)

@cynel
    If the episodes are part of the same game, that should be doable (but you'd need to try).
    Passing along data between different games is somewhat tricky, as they don't share the same data directory for save games (and on some devices that's pretty much locked up, e.g. iOS).

32. cynel

cynel

well im putting it hold for a while besides UMA isn't integrated to ORK yet.

33. gamingislove

gamingislove

ORK Framework 2.1.4 released

This update brings a new Plugin system, improved GUI settings to work better on multiple resolutions and aspect ratios, 2D raycast support, Mecanim trigger parameters, move AI hunting range and lots of other new features, changes and fixes.
    See the full release notes for details.

As always, the update has already been sent out to customers and should be available in the Asset Store shortly :)

New Gameplay Tutorial: Mecanim Animations

And here's a new gameplay tutorial on using a Mecanim animations with ORK Framework.

34. cynel

cynel

so would this help UMA be a Plugin for ORK ?

35. gamingislove

gamingislove

ORK Framework 2.1.5 released

Small update, still cool features: New Bestiary system (including event steps, scan settings for items/abilities and a new menu part), status development upgrades and ability trees can use items/weapons/armors/currency as use costs, and other small new feature, changes and fixes.
    Check out the full release notes.

You know the drill - the update has already been sent out to customers and should be available in the Asset Store soon :)

@cynel
    Not really - UMA is a bit too complex to handle it that way (and would need a better integration into the combatant stuff).

36. cynel

cynel

ohh what kind of integration would UMA need For ORK?

37. gamingislove

gamingislove

New game tutorial

The newest game tutorial covers the new Bestiary System.
    Topic of the next one will be something else, TBA :)

@cynel
    It would require integration into the whole combatant system, since the prefab would need to be created based on the player's creation each time it is loaded - i.e. saving all those settings alongside the save game, etc.

38. cynel

cynel

Yikes What if Developer wants to Create characters only or use UMAs algorithm is that impossible in ORK.

39. gamingislove

gamingislove

24 hour deal in the Unity Asset Store

ORK Framework is today's 24 hour deal in the Asset Store - get it while it's 50 % off!

New gameplay tutorial: Time and Day

This tutorial teaches how to use events and game variables to create a time and day system in ORK Framework.

ORK Framework 2.1.6 coming next week

The next update will contain some good new stuff, check out what's coming here.

@cynel
    Possible yes, e.g. by using the event system - saving a generated character (i.e. saving the settings) requires some custom scripting.

40. cynel

cynel

so would i have to wait for UMA support.

41. cynel

cynel

oh 4.6 is Open beta now.

42. gamingislove

gamingislove

ORK Framework 2.1.6 released

This update brings new Variable Condition Templates and updates to variable conditions, Combatant/Turn Order HUDs, the bestiary system, Normal type status values and other new features, changes and fixes.

See the full release notes here.

As always, the update has already been sent out to customers and should be available in the Unity Asset Store soon.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2014
  43. red2blue

red2blue

Great as always! Keep up the good work. Happy that I bought the framework, now I only need to work on my gamedesign ;).

44. gamingislove

gamingislove

ORK Framework 2.1.7 released

Only a small update due to some bugs in the last release, still some nice new features, e.g. new Continue button in the main menu, Weapon and Armor status requirements, additional Font setting in text formats and an update to Experience type status values.

The update has already been sent out to customers and should be available in the Unity Asset Store shortly :)

Also - I guess most of you will look forward to this - I've started integrating the new Unity 4.6 GUI in a separate project, going smoothly so far, you can expect a beta version by the end of next week (hopefully).

red2blue likes this.
  45. cynel

cynel

Well at least you Heard about the GUI.

46. 4EDEA

4EDEA

I want to make a 2D Action RPG like Zelda. ORK Framework gives support to 2D RPG games? I need Unity Pro for use this asset? Sorry, i don't speak english very well. I hope you understand what i ask to you.

47. gamingislove

gamingislove

ORK Framework beta for Unity 4.6

Want to try ORK Framework with the new UI of Unity 4.6?
    There's now a beta version available!

@4EDEA
    Yes, you can do this - ORK Framework supports Unity's 2D features (and can also be used with other 2D frameworks, e.g. 2D Toolkit).
    You don't need Unity Pro, the free version is enough to work with ORK Framework.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2014
  48. cynel

cynel

thanks for the semi Gui suport.

49. VataRaven

VataRaven

Just curious about something

Are you thinking or is it possible to bring this RPG engine to Unreal Engine?

50. gamingislove

gamingislove

ORK Framework 2.1.8 released

New Delay Time settings for abilities and items, new status requirement Templates, updates to HUDs and the event system and other small features and fixes.

The update has already been sent out to customers and will be available in the Asset Store shortly.

ORK Framework beta for Unity 4.6

The beta for the new UI has also been updated, get the latest version here.

@VataRaven
    Probably yes, but would require also code access to the editor and core functionality.
    I'm curious, do they still want a percentage of your income for using it or do they have something more indie friendly?

Last edited: Sep 18, 2014