Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

ORK Framework - The complete RPG Engine for Unity 5

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by gamingislove, Jan 15, 2014.

1. gamingislove

gamingislove

November 5, 2021: ORK Framework 2.34.0 released

$ork_framework.png

Tutorials | Try Out | Showcase | Asset Store | Support | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube

ORK Framework released

After more than a year in development, ORK Framework is finally officially released. My thanks to the hundreds of beta testers out there (and on a side note, please follow this how-to when updating your beta project)!
    ORK Framework (aka ORK 2) is the 2nd version of >ORK Okashi RPG Kit<.

What is ORK Framework?

Simply put, this editor extension is a highly flexible, all-in-one solution to create RPGs, action adventures and other related games.
    Without any coding.

Features

Some of the countless features:
    • 4 different battle systems (Turn Based, Active Time, Real Time and Phase battles), all 4 systems can be used in the same game, you can even change the system type while in battle.
    • Fully customizable status system (status values, status effects, attack/defence attributes).
    • Powerful, node-based event system, used for cut scenes, battle animations, quests, dialogues, custom game logic or creating whole new systems in your game (e.g. calendar system).
    • Quest system with automatic progress monitoring, fully integrated into menus, HUDs and event system.
    • Bestiary system to learn status information about encountered enemies
    • Ability system, separable in ability types.
    • Item system, also separable in item types.
    • Equipment system with equipment parts (e.g. left hand, right hand, head, etc.), separable in item types; the equipment viewer can display a combatant's equipment in the scene.
    • Crafting system, also separable in crafting types.
    • Formula system (node-based) to calculate stuff (hit chance, attack damage, etc.) - use all kinds of values (status, variables, distances, angles, etc.).
    • Combatants, classes, groups (parties) and factions.
    • Battle AI system (node-based).
    • Save game system.
    • Menu system, shop system, HUDs, ...
    • Multi-currency system.
    • Supports multiple languages.
    • Items can be dropped back into the game world (and optionally remembered for later pick-up when leaving the scene or saving the game).
    • Easy scene setup with the ORK Scene Wizard.
    • Code access to gameplay related things (editor and core functionality remain closed source).
    • Plugin system
    • >Lot's of other stuff<

Supported Platforms

The following platforms are officially supported:
    • Windows
    • Mac
    • Web Player
    • Android
    • iOS
    There are also projects in development on WiiU, BlackBerry, Windows Phone and other platforms, but due to lack of testing it myself I can't officially support them. Contact me if you need a special version or have a problem on a platform!

Try it out!

You can try ORK Framework for free with the limited version!
    The limited version includes all features, but is limited in terms of data quantity that can be created (e.g. you can only create 10 items).

Download the free version >here<.

There's also a demo project available >here<, and a WebPlayer demo can be found >here<.

Tutorials

There's already a bunch of tutorials available >here<.

Tutorials are separated into >How-Tos< (covering specific features), >Game Tutorials< and >Gameplay Tutorials<.
    The game tutorials cover creating a complete (small) game with ORK Framework, from start to finish. The gameplay tutorials focus on different gameplay mechanics you might want to use in your game.

I'd recommend starting with the game tutorials to learn using ORK Framework.

Documentation

Every single setting is documented right in the ORK Framework editor.
    Simply hover the mouse over a setting and the info/help text will be displayed in the lower left corner of the editor (you can change this behaviour in Editor > Editor Settings).
    There's currently no external documentation available.

Support

You can find help in the >ORK Community forum< or by contacting me directly at contact@orkframework.com.

Buy ORK Framework

ORK Framework is available for >EUR 80 in my shop< and for >$ 100 in the Asset Store<.

If you already own ORK 1 and the Menu/Shop Extension, you can get a free ugprade to ORK Framework. Please send me your order/invoice numbers to contact@orkframework.com.
    Those who already had full access to the ORK Framework beta will receive their update via email shortly!

And, like it's been with ORK 1, updates are on the house!
    If you're missing any feature, just let me know - either in the >feature request thread< or contact me directly.

Latest Version: 2.34.0

See the full release notes.
    The latest version supports Unity 5.6, Unity 2017 and Unity 2018/2019/2020/2021.

Please note:
    Due to the Asset Store no longer allowing uploads below Unity 2019, you’ll remain on ORK 2.33.0 when using Unity 2018 or lower. Contact me via email (including your order number) to receive the latest version for Unity 5.6, 2017 or 2018).

Update Policy

Purchasing ORK Framework grants you access to updates for 1 year. Read more about ORK's update policy here.

Timelapse Videos of Game Tutorials

Screenshots

The event editor:
    $eventEditorSmall.png

Game controls:
    $gameControlsSmall.png

Combatants:
    $combatantsSmall.png

The faction sympathy matrix:
    $factionSympathySmall.png

Status values:

Want to see more?
    Just >download< ORK Framework and try it out! I'd recommend starting with the >game tutorials<.
    Or try the >demo<!

Last edited: Nov 5, 2021
  2. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

Sweet! Please tell me that I can use it in a 2d enviroment too???!???

3. gamingislove

gamingislove

@Devision4
    Sure thing!
    There's already a project in the making using ORK Framework for a 2D RPG - called >Dead Gear<.
    Although I think it uses a 3rd party 2D solution :)

4. Shadow_Fire

Shadow_Fire

A new thread, ahh I can almost smell the fresh scent.
    I feel so proud to be a part of ORK.
    Keep it up, GiL!

5. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

Will you make a new demo with ORK 2 to feature also the new things from the update?

6. gamingislove

gamingislove

@Shadow_Fire
    Yeah, it's all so fresh and new, after 3000+ posts in the old thread :D

@RandAlThor
    There's already a simple demo available >here< using ORK Framework.
    The demo will be updated once the >Game Tutorials< have some more stuff in them.

7. AMO_Noot

AMO_Noot

Congrats on the release, GiL!
    An excellent framework that will only get better. :D

8. cynel

cynel

so are there plans to integrate UMA into this framework ?

9. AMO_Noot

AMO_Noot

I don't think his answer has changed much in the last couple times you've asked. :p

There's much bigger fish to fry for now, like the WYSIWYG HUD/GUI stuff.

10. gamingislove

gamingislove

The plan

Well, with the official release done and done, what's the game plane from here on?

First, let's be clear - that's not the end of the road, there's still a lot of new features, big and small, to be done.
    I'll spend the next 2-3 weeks mostly giving support and writing tutorials - after that it's back to pumping out new features.

One of the next big things to come will be a WYSIWYG editor for things like GUI boxes and HUDs!

@cynel
    Yup, there're plans for that, but it's still a few month until then :)

@Kirb
    Hope the new child object stuff in the event system is to your liking :D

11. cynel

cynel

sorry for asking that much im just so eager to see UMA being used in a framework like this.

12. AMO_Noot

AMO_Noot

Very much so!
    Also with the new transform check, my character can actually attack to the left now without messing with global events, hah.

Thanks a ton for the updates. :D

13. gamingislove

gamingislove

I'll be starting with the quest tutorials today (in the game tutorial series) - everything about (quest) logs, game variables and events.

@Kirbychwan
    You're welcome :)

14. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

When you are done with the general tutorials, could you please make a tutorial how to use the framework in a 2d enviroment? Thank you!

15. gamingislove

gamingislove

Sure, I'm eager to try the new 2D stuff out myself :D
    As far as I've seen, there shouldn't be that much difference to 3D when using ORK, you'd only have prefabs with 2D game objects instead of 3D.

16. AMO_Noot

AMO_Noot

The framework works the same regardless of the environment; but you'll need to rely on your own ingenuity/ custom code / 2D frameworks for character controls, camera etc. For the record, I'd recommend 2Dtk; but I haven't really messed with Unity's new sprite system.

17. gamingislove

gamingislove

New how-to

And here's a new how-to on >Logs<.
    Learn what they are and how you can use them :)

Edit:

New game tutorial

The newest game tutorial also covers logs - a practical use for our first quest: >click<
    Well add a log for our quest (consisting of multiple log texts), a new quest log menu screen and a quest item.

The next game tutorial will continue with our first quest, creating the actual quest events :)

Last edited: Jan 16, 2014
  18. gamingislove

gamingislove

And the next game tutorial

This time it's more complex one: >The Quest Events<
    Adding the actual quest using game events and game variables.

The next game tutorial will cover saving the game.

Meanwhile I've already started working on version 2.0.1.
    Just some small stuff, like optionally inverting the log text order, and the navigation history hot-keys will change - they kinda interfere with text editing...

19. gamingislove

gamingislove

Important update to the last tutorial: Game variable keys can't contain spaces :)

New game tutorial

Since we have stuff like battles and a quest in our game, it's time to look at >Saving the game<
    Setting up the save menus and what'll be saved in a save game, and adding a save point to the game.

The next game tutorial will cover shops.

20. StarAbove

StarAbove

21. gamingislove

gamingislove

I'd say yes - at least I don't see why it shouldn't be compatible.

ORK Framework also allows to integrate custom animation solutions easily, you can set them up in Base/Control > Animations in the Custom Settings :)

22. gamingislove

gamingislove

23. S0ULART

S0ULART

How is the Shop System compatible or lets say to use with NGUI or Daikon Forge GUI ?

24. gamingislove

gamingislove

Well, not out of the box, but with the Full versions script access you can add support for them yourself.
    The shop system, menu system and HUDs all use only few classes to actually display their content.

You can contact me at contact@orkframework.com to get further details/help :)

25. gamingislove

gamingislove

New game tutorial

And here's another one: >changing NPC dialogue<
    Cycling through different dialogues with an NPC using Object Game Variables.

The next game tutorial will cover collecting items ... using item collectors :D

26. gamingislove

gamingislove

Another game tutorial

Phew, I'm on quite a tutorial ride lately :D
    This time, we're using >item collectors< to find items and loot boxes.

The next game tutorial will cover camera events, a simple type of event that will place the camera while the player is within its trigger.

27. gamingislove

gamingislove

Yet another game tutorial

Sometimes you might want to change the camera to show something to the player ... this can be easily done using >camera events<.
    This simple components will change the camera while the player is within the event's trigger, and return camera control when the player leaves the trigger.

The next game tutorial will cover creating an interaction HUD.

Version 2.0.1 news

So, what's coming in 2.0.1?
    - (optional) critical hit status change notifications
    - control maps (and their keys) can depend on status requirements and game variable conditions
    - move AIs can optionally only detect group leaders
    For more details and features, see >here<.

Edit:

Next game tutorial

And here's the new one about creating an >interaction HUD<.

The next game tutorial will cover creating a cinematic event - as an example we'll create an introduction to the field scene :)

Last edited: Jan 25, 2014
  28. cynel

cynel

what update is UMA integration Appearing

29. gamingislove

gamingislove

@cynel
    I'll be looking into UMA support probably starting in March.

ORK 2.0.1 news

I've been working hard, release within the next days - some of the new features are:

- major update to the node editor, eye-candy stuff, searching the node list, etc.
    - lots of new event nodes: blinking objects, blocking control maps, blocking HUDs, setting NavMesh target, changing time factor (slow motion effects :D)
    - new battle AI steps to check the distance and angle to a target
    - using items/abilities can depend on status requirements and variable conditions
    - you can optionally use different critical hit notifications for status value changes
    - the variable list in the editor will automatically update when saving the settings or an event

And if you liked the battles in Final Fantasy X, you'll probably like the new Multi-Turns option in turn based battles - it's doing more or less the same thing :D

Details on the features can be found >here<.

30. gamingislove

gamingislove

ORK Framework 2.0.1 released

Major update to the node editor, a bunch of new event steps and other useful new features.

See the full release notes >here<!

The update will be sent out to customers shortly - if you don't receive it within the next hours, just >let me know< (please include your order number).

31. cynel

cynel

@gamingislove thats good to hear

32. gamingislove

gamingislove

I'll be on it after the next big update - the WYSIWYG editor for GUI boxes, HUDs, etc.

33. StarAbove

StarAbove

I know ORK can do ALOT of stuffs, but just wondering, are you planning or wanting to integrate playmaker with Ork?

34. gamingislove

gamingislove

I haven't yet looked into it, but shouldn't you be able to hook up with Playmaker using some of the Function Steps in the event system?
    E.g. Change Fields, Call Method, etc.

But if it's a needed feature, I'll add it at some point, currently there are higher priorities :)

35. StarAbove

StarAbove

Thanks for the advice.
    True, right now there are some higher priorities. One day when all of that are done, maybe it'll be playmaker's turn :) For those of us who don't know how to scripts and are using Playmaker, it'll be a blessing to be able to officially add things to ORK with just using playmaker.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2014
  36. gamingislove

gamingislove

When using Playmaker for things like player or camera controls you should have no problem integrating it into ORK Framework.

You can use any controls you like, as long as you let ORK know the name of the component in Base/Controls > Game Controls.
    Select the control type None for player or camera control, add a control behaviour and enter it's name. After that ORK will be able to enable/disable the control as needed.

37. ncho

ncho

Apologies for posting in the wrong thread previously. Just to restate I am trying to use ORK and the Ultimate FPS controller simultaneously. But it seems that ORK does not recognize the UFPS components as control / camera behaviors, or maybe I am doing something wrong. So I have set the camera script name to Vp_FPCamera and the controller script name to Vp_FPController respectively, but if I e.g. try to manipulate the camera position via an event, nothing happens.

Is there anything else I might be overlooking?

On a side note I am also a bit confused regarding the purpose of actors - the only tutorial that mentions them unfortunately does not make that very clear ("interacting with the game world").

38. gamingislove

gamingislove

If the name of the classes are exactly spelled like this and the components are added to the player (or camera), that should work.

For an event to allow manipulating the player or camera, you need to block the player or camera control first - else the actual control keeps updating and interfering with the changes.
    In Game Events, you can block the controls either in the Event Settings (the start node) or by using Block Player Control or Block Camera Control nodes.

Actors have multiple purposes. The main purpose is to use game objects from the scene in your events, e.g. to move them around, rotate them or add components.
    Another purpose is for dialogues. You can give actors a name (or use their name, if they belong to a combatant like the player or have a Scene Object component attached) and display that name in the dialogues.

There are multiple ways to get your scene's game objects to be used as actors. Some special objects (e.g. the game object the event is attached to or the player) can be set up directly in the actor, others can be added by either searching them by name or tag, or by dragging them on the actor's field in the Event Interaction component used by the event.

It may be a bit complicated at first, but there'll be future tutorials with better examples :)
    Also, the battle tutorials (showing Battle Events) use actors a lot - for battle events, you don't need to set up actors, they're available automatically (the user and targets of battle actions).

Edit:
    Just checked with the UFPS manual - the scripts start with a lower-case vp_, so you should use vp_FPCamera and vp_FPController :)

Last edited: Feb 2, 2014
  39. ncho

ncho

Thanks a lot, but I still can't quite seem to get it to work even when correcting the script names and blocking the camera first - I am doing this:

I have a "Player" prefab set up with the UFPS FPController script attached to an object and the FPCamera script attached to an object nested below that. I use this prefab in the "Combatant" setup of ORK. ORK spawns the player just fine and dialogue interaction also works, ORK attaches the Interaction Controller at runtime without issues.

So now I should be able to add "block player controls" and/or "block camera" nodes in the dialogue event before "show dialogue", but doing this yields no results.

I am not sure if this is a scripting issue or a problem with my integration of UFPS.

40. gamingislove

gamingislove

Ok, the problem is that the scripts are attached on child objects, currently they'd have to be directly on the player object (player control) and camera (camera control).
    I'll add support for child objects in the next update. Also, your camera control script is attached to the player? Guess I'll add support for that too :)

Regarding the control block nodes - I'd recommend using the control block settings in the event settings, it's far more convenient blocking the control for the whole event than adding nodes to block and unblock control.

41. drewradley

drewradley

So no more editing all my third party controllers to stop for events, etc? NICE! Does it only work for C# or all scripting languages?

42. gamingislove

gamingislove

Exactly, you can use ANY script, as long as it's descendant from MonoBehaviour. Also, the script language shouldn't matter at all :)

43. drewradley

drewradley

Let me say again... NICE! Haven't had much chance to play around with it... too busy with my ORK 1 project.

ISH_the_Creator likes this.
  44. cynel

cynel

so is there a tutorial for scripted cutscenes

45. gamingislove

gamingislove

@drewradley
    There are a lot of new and improved features in ORK Framework.
    E.g. the event system, formulas and battle AIs being node based is a huge improvement to the old ORK 1 system :)

@cynel
    Not yet, but the battle events (and battle start/end) tutorials and the quest dialogue tutorial already show things that'd be used in them (e.g. dialogues, changing the camera, moving actors, etc.).
    I'll be on a simple cinematic cutscene tutorial in a few days, currently I'm busy with the new WYSIWYG editor for GUI stuff :)

46. cynel

cynel

@gamingislove
    Just asking that's all.

47. nasos_333

nasos_333

I was wondering if the music found in ORK demos can be used in a commercial product

Also what are the main advances in AI from ORK 1 ?

48. gamingislove

gamingislove

New game tutorial

Finally, the newest game tutorial: >Cinematic field scene introduction<
    Some camera work and auto-close dialogues.

The next game tutorial will cover the crafting system.

ORK Framework 2.0.2 news

The next udpate will feature:
    - curve movement/rotation event steps
    - WYSIWYG editor for GUI boxes
    Details can be found >here<.

@nasos_333
    Well, the music was done by me, so I'll allow it :)
    The AI advances to ORK 1:
    - node based allows far better control and is easier to handle
    - there are a lot more possibilities, despite checking for status, you can also check for position, variables, etc.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
  49. nasos_333

nasos_333

Thanks, this is great :)

50. gamingislove

gamingislove

ORK Framework 2.0.2 released

New WYSIWYG editor for GUI boxes, curve movement/rotation event steps and other small fixes and improvements.
    You can read the full release notes >here<.

Also, you can now find the API documentation at api.orkframework.com. It contains all classes of ORK Framework (excluding editor classes), but most of the classes, functions and fields still lack a description - they'll be added over the next weeks.

For ORK Framework 2.0.3, the new GUI editor will also allow editing HUDs, so please let me know how you like it for the GUI boxes :)