Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

*Optional* Daydream/Cardboard support

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by WendelinReich, Sep 23, 2016.

1. WendelinReich

WendelinReich

Good to know that native Daydream & CB support are ready!

We are creating a touchscreen-first game with an optional VR experience, so we appreciate that both DD and DB can be switched on/off at run-time.

We would also like to target an API-level below 24 (Nougat). Then our game would activate optional Daydream support if the player's device supports it (which also means he's running Nougat or higher). If it doesnt support Daydream, we would use Cardboard support as a fallback (if the user has it).

Is that possible, or do you guys require all builds with optional Daydream support to target Nougat?

2. joejo

joejo

Unity Technologies

If you build your app to target Daydream and do not use a min sdk of 24 in the Manifest then things can get dicey on the target device when switching to Daydream mode. If you are targeting Cardboard then you can target API level 19 but you won't have controller support AFAIK.

3. WendelinReich

WendelinReich

I see. Well, I guess this means we'll have to publish multiple APKs to Google Play if we want touchscreen-first games to (optionally) support Daydream.

This is not ideal though - I hope in the future you guys can fix this issue where "things get dicey"...