Search Unity

Optimized Dinosaur Pack

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by JamesArndt, Dec 20, 2014.

1. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

I've officially launched and am sending my babies out into the world! Check it out and see if it's something you could use.
    Low Poly Dinosaur Pack

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 6, 2015
  2. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

3. PROTOFACTOR_Inc

PROTOFACTOR_Inc

Awesome to embed a 3D viewer in a post! Love it :)
    And nice looking optimized models!

JamesArndt likes this.
  4. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

Right! It's so handy due to using webGL and working without plugins (just a capable browser). Not only that, but it allows people to look at the texture, a shaded view and even the wireframe.

PROTOFACTOR_Inc likes this.
  5. PROTOFACTOR_Inc

PROTOFACTOR_Inc

did you build using unity 5?

JamesArndt likes this.
  6. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

No the 3d Viewer is Sketchfab. It's something Unity has been promoting for their art competitions and such. I just imported the FBX file and TGA texture onto Sketchfab and it uploaded the mesh and texture.

7. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

Finished up the modeling and texturing part of the Brachiosaurus today. 1,560 polygons, 1024x1024 diffuse texture. Moving on to modeling the Velociraptor shortly :)

And a very high resolution screen capture from the Unity viewport.

8. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

This cuddly little guy is now modeled. 1,900 polygons. UVs and texturing in Photoshop left to do for today.

9. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

Gotta call it a day at some point on some art assets. This one is done. Came in at 1,980 polygons and painted up a 1024x1024px texture in Photoshop.

10. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

Finished the modeling/sculpting portion of the Stegosaurus. Tech specs, he came in at 1,600 polygons so pretty well optimized. Next on to UVs and doing some nice texture painting for the creature.

11. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

Stegosaurus finished up last night. Came in at 1,600 polygons and uses a hand painted 1024 x 1024 texture.

One of the big parts of optimizing for platforms like mobile or web is making sure the asset is versatile in some lower end situations. One of the ways to tackle this is to make sure to paint nicely detailed textures that will hold up without any pixel lights. I paint all of my textures in flat shaded mode, i.e. no lighting whatsoever in the 3d app, just self illuminated. This way in a mobile game project you could use an unlit or vertex color shader (cheapest performance-wise) and the asset would still look really cool. So here is what an asset would look like using an unlit shader.

12. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

The rig and the bind are working inside of Unity as of today. The animations will need more polish, but it's a solid start.

13. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

I've officially launched and am sending my babies out into the world! Check it out and see if it's something you could use.
    Low Poly Dinosaur Pack

14. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

I did a timelapse recording of my modeling sessions for the Ankylosaurus. Model came out nice and clean. UVs are done, now on to the texturing aspect.

[VIDEO]

15. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

Ankylosaurus modeling/texturing is completed. I'm now officially entering the rigging and animation phase for the entire set of dinosaurs.

16. eridani

eridani

Beautiful models! Did you paint the textures from scratch?

17. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

In order to get the look I wanted I did have to hand paint a bulk of it. I recorded some timelapses of working in Mudbox.

Now for scales, skins, back plates I did photo source textures from alligators, snakes and the like.

18. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

It's been slow going, but I've come back around to tasks on the dinosaur pack and working on animations with a fellow animator. Here is one of his work-in-progress animations.