Search Unity

OpenVR (missing from build)

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by Curious-Developer, Jul 28, 2016.

1. Curious-Developer

Curious-Developer

Sorry to post this twice, Unity 5.4 beta forum was just closed.

I'm developing on Mac El Capitan, but making windows builds for our test PC.
    On Unity 5.4.0f3, I cannot get my project to work in VR anymore after building. It used to work fine in 5.3.x.

I set up a clean project, import newest steamVR, and OpenVR doesn't even show up in my list of supported virtual reality. Instead it shows that it's "missing from build", and if I remove it I cannot re-add it.

On the build, I get the OpenVR failed to initialize, no dll found error.
    If I remove OpenVR and uncheck virtual reality supported entirely, I get the same issue.

Screen Shot 2016-07-28 at 9.23.15 AM.png

2. EdBlais

EdBlais

Unity Technologies

@Curious-Developer I went to reply to your 5.4 beta forum post, but it was closed, thanks for re-posting here.

This issue is present because OpenVR doesn't show up in the drop down on OSX. This was not intended and we actually fixed this internally, but it wasn't pushed to 5.4. We have ported the fix to 5.4 now and it will be coming in the first patch to 5.4 (5.4.0p1).

So for now, to build windows standalone projects with OpenVR, you will need to be on Windows unfortunately until the next patch. it ended up in your drop down most likely because you are working with source control and you added it to the player settings on windows and pushed the updated player settings file. You can remove it on OSX and copy the UnityApp/Contents/VR/(Win/Win64)/openvr_api.dll to your built application if you really need to develop on OSX.

3. Curious-Developer

Curious-Developer

Thanks for the quick reply! I have no issues waiting for the patch release, I just thought this was odd with the big VR push in 5.4, because all of a sudden it wasn't working. Appreciate the update!

4. egradman

egradman

I'm still seeing this. Issue

El Capitan, Unity 5.4.0f3
    Freshly downloaded and imported SteamVR
    Brand new project.

Attached Files:

5. solou

solou

@egradman did you find a solution to your issue? I have the same problem and I am also with El Capitan, Unity 5.4.0f3 :'( :(
    Thanks in advance