Search Unity

Online Unity Code Review

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by Nigey, Oct 8, 2015.

1. Nigey

Nigey

Hi Guys,

I know it sounds crazy, but there's a lot of indie Unity programmers out there. A lot of them work from home, in isolation from other programmers. There ARE triple A studios with large teams where programmers do work together and benefit from that, but for a lot of programmers, they can be working in their own little box. Even in most small teams there is only a handful of programmers, even if more than one or two.

I've been reading about how to become a very good programmer, one of the most common points is code review, and peer programming. For me personally I'd love a place to post my code for comments and criticism so I could constantly improve myself. I'm thinking there may be other people like that.

I see it's been asked a few times over the years. Are there people in this community interested in this type of thing?

I see Stack Exchange has a code review, but with Unity being so big now, I was wondering if Unity could make it's own code review section possibly? With upvoting and downvoting and things?

Your thoughts :)

BenZed, manpower13 and spryx like this.
  2. Octopixell

Octopixell

Hi Nigey,

I like your idea of sharing code and reviewing each others work. I think it's very good to see code from other people, also to compare it to your own work. Many a time have I written code and then completely rewritten it because I saw how rediculous it was what I was doing by looking at other people's work.

I'd upvote your idea for sure!

Regards,
    Octopixell

3. spryx

spryx

Nice idea.... I would be interested in this sort of service as well.

4. BenZed

BenZed

+1, love it.

5. spryx

spryx

You should suggest this on feedback and post a link so people can vote on it.

6. Octopixell

Octopixell

Nigey,

If u post this on feedback like Spryx suggests, I'll definitely vote on it! :) I'm sure more people will.

7. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

Post it here if you want feedback. No need for any special website.

Kiwasi likes this.
  8. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

This. It's what the scripting forum lives for. Post short snippets directly.

If you want something like a full project reviewed, post a link to a public repo. Note that big snippets will only get free review if they code for something people are interested in.

Or you can try your luck paying for a review.

9. Nigey

Nigey

@BoredMormon & @JamesLeeNZ

You mean whenever someone has a script and they're wondering it's efficiency, or just after comments & critique. Just throw it up in this forum?

I've noticed you get the occassional, 'how could I improve this script', but most of this is about actually fixing something that's broken, rather than comments & critique.

Would you suggest people start putting up their working scripts into this forum to get comments & critique and things? Because I notice VERY few people do that right now. Could it be a trend sometime?

10. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

The majority of this forum is about finding missing semicolons, talking through basic coding principles like loops and branches, and doing high school vector math and the like. Don't use what the majority of people post as a guide.

There are quite a few of us here that hang around for the more interesting technical discussions that happen from time to time.

lordofduct and Nigey like this.
  11. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

There's no forum rules that state you cant post full code for critique. Some people will be hesitant because their code might be special in some way (most likely it isnt). Ie., I wouldnt post the editor script ive been working on, but then im considering turning it into an Asset.

People will look at it and suggest improvements or they will ignore it. Completely up to you. I would avoid posting files that need to be downloaded. Im not going to download a file personally, but I will look through code in a post.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2015
    Nigey and Kiwasi like this.
  12. lordofduct

lordofduct

Post it dude, I'll check it out.

And totally agree with @JamesLeeNZ. Don't make me download anything. So freaking annoying (only thing worst is the screen shot of code).

Public repo is the preferred, when sharing a structured library. I host the open half of my framework on github:
    https://github.com/lordofduct/spacepuppy-unity-framework

Nigey likes this.