Search Unity

One

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by TonyNowak, Jul 8, 2012.

1. TonyNowak

TonyNowak

One

One is a first person survival game. You are a native, in a cold and alienating world. There are others like you, with the same goal, to survive. Surviving means hunting, foraging, and finding shelter to shield yourself from the cold in a desolate landscape.

A ton of work has been put into this project since it conceptualization, and we intend to make this something that is incredible for those who decide to play it..

Starting cave with a crafted fire.

Outside the starting cave, once outside, your cold tolerance starts diminishing, it eventually eats away at your health until you die. Keeping indoors or near a source of warmth can prevent your freezing to death.

A deer, one of the neutral animals that wanders, it's enemies are you, hostile animals, and other tribesmen. Deer react to sound, your footsteps, whether your walking or sprinting, can spook it and cause it to flee. If you sneak up on it, you have a better chance of making a kill. You may kill it from afar with your spear.

A lot of the code for the game, including inventory, health, AI, etc is done. Before any webplayer is released, we want a more tangible experience for the player. This would include finishing a few more features we have planned/

More to come soon...

Here's the link to our new game development blog, which will feature weekly developers journals and logs.

http://onegamedev.wordpress.com/

A web-player is now up on our game development blog along with some screenshots.

TonyNowak, Darithorn

Last edited: Jul 15, 2012
    GibTreaty likes this.
  2. SevenBits

SevenBits

Interesting art style. Do you plan on improving the graphics? Even if you don't a little more color would a long way... Hey, even low-res makes a difference.​

3. TonyNowak

TonyNowak

Well, we're only a week or so in, but the progress Darithorn has made has been awesome. I haven't had all that much time to really come up with an aesthetic. I wanted to do this game awhile back, and had a art pieces for it, but it was nothing more than some animals that were static, and the FPS controller. I'm no coder, so the project really kicked off when Darithorn got on-board.

The aesthetic is simple now, and from the start I wanted simple, retro graphics, with some rich game-play. The rocks will most likely stay the same, with new pieces added in (working on some now). There will be trees, I have some done, and a lot more ground cover.

4. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

I really like the style and atmosphere the game shows in the third screen shot you posted. The pixel style deer is great I think.

5. Leiter Jakab

Leiter Jakab

It will be interesting to see the art style in motion. But even these 3 screens got me interested.

6. Figerox

Figerox

These screenshots are making me reeeaaalllyyyy want to play it. I cant help but get the feeling that there may be a bit of scaryness to it.

7. TehWut

TehWut

Really like the cold factor, haven't seen that before and should lead to some interesting survival aspects.

8. Blacklight

Blacklight

Reminds me of a Minecraft server I play on, with the art style and the cold. I'm looking forward to seeing more.

9. pivotraze

pivotraze

I hope it doesn't follow a Lost Planet like coldness factor. That really bugged me haha

10. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

Any eta on that webplayer? ;D

11. darithorn

darithorn

I'm going to say a week or two before a webplayer that contains something more than just walking around and throwing your spear will be released. ;)

How does the Lost Planet coldness factor go? I've never played it.

12. TonyNowak

TonyNowak

13. TheLionsRoar

TheLionsRoar

This game sounds awesome. I can't wait to play. :)

14. Rush-Rage-Games

Rush-Rage-Games

Can't wait for the web player!

15. AtomicMarine

AtomicMarine

New concept I see Tony? Skype me sometime about it :) Interested to hear, what happened to the deep?

PS: Recognize your art style anywhere! (brilliant)

16. darithorn

darithorn

Hey everyone. It's the end of the week. I just finished posting the first dev blog as well as a link to the webplayer. Have fun and tell us what you think about it. :)

One Game Development Blog: Week 1

Last edited: Jul 15, 2012
  17. ATNEDev

ATNEDev

Very similar to Ace of Spades, an I think you should keep the graphics that way... It gives you the feeling you're not from here, and a little creepy atmosphere.

18. TonyNowak

TonyNowak

I intend to keep some of he graphics (cliffs) the same, the item icons are placeholder for now. I really want to focus on ground cover now though. Currently we have only one type of ground-cover, and that would be the grass. I'm looking to heavily populate some areas, and do decals for the ground, since it's flat for the time being.

There are tons of really cool and unique arctic plants I plan on pixeling.

19. DancingWithCrows

DancingWithCrows

This looks really good!. I think its the part of being in a strange place trying to survive that I like most

20. TonyNowak

TonyNowak

Graphics are slowly coming along, and the world is slowly getting populated by foliage.​

21. roger0

roger0

What kind of creatures are you planning on adding? Will it be more diverse than minecraft? Will the game ''try'' to kill you?

22. darithorn

darithorn

This isn't another Minecraft clone, far from it. The rocks must've confused you. We're getting on changing those sooner or later. We just don't know what to make them look like while keeping the retro feel. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. :)

Yes, the game's sole purpose is to try to kill you. Wolves will be hunting and wandering the plains. They will follow your scent if they find it which you don't want happening since wolves hunt in packs. The wolves aren't dumb either but I won't talk about the rest of their behavior you'll have to find out for yourself. ;)

23. TonyNowak

TonyNowak

Sorry for the lack of info as of late, Darithorn has been working his tail off, and after much collaboration, we think we've finally found a way to go about the rocks while still keeping them retro, but looking like rocks. Stay tuned!

24. Khyrid

Khyrid

25. roger0

roger0

So.... any word on this project?

26. TonyNowak

TonyNowak

27. sebrobitaille

sebrobitaille

so what happened to the blog

28. Heu

Heu

I think you have a weird fetish with simple one worded titles for your games.

29. primus88

primus88

Forget this. I think he has this weird fetish where he starts a project and abandons it.
    Tony, you should really focus on finishing projects. I know it is very hard to keep your interest up as a project reaches maturity, but you will get nowhere like this. Just my opinion.

30. TonyNowak

TonyNowak

31. roger0

roger0

Looks like your still working on it. I thought this project was long dead. I'm Looking forward to updates. :)

TonyNowak likes this.
  32. TonyNowak

TonyNowak

Expect massive dump soon.

33. RavenOfCode

RavenOfCode

This looks pretty awesome. Looking forward to seeing more. :)