Search Unity

One of the BEST, (Beginner to a VERY Advanced), SHORT computer game course

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by IgorAherne, Jul 22, 2013.

1. IgorAherne

IgorAherne

Last edited: Jan 27, 2016
  2. SubZeroGaming

SubZeroGaming

Very interesting. When you have a few more videos out, i'll be watching these.

Good luck!

3. Play_Edu

Play_Edu

very cool.

4. yasirkula

yasirkula

Replying to be able to get notified by email. I'll check your videos. Thanks.

5. SubZeroGaming

SubZeroGaming

You are doing C# still, right?

I know originally you planned on unity script.

6. IgorAherne

IgorAherne

I will be doing in C#, and I've learned unity script to a pretty good border. I compared them and saw that the latter caused too many problems in AI creation.

7. SubZeroGaming

SubZeroGaming

Excellent choice. ;)

8. yasirkula

yasirkula

Finally I was able to watch them. I liked the way you try to explain everything. Unfortunately I don't have 3DS Max but still, I've found your tutorials useful.

9. rockysam888

rockysam888

Thank you.

10. GC

GC

Sounds great. Will go through this after my final.. Thank you

11. Sildaekar

Sildaekar

Just finished watching them both, I really love how you are handling this tutorial series! So far modelling and texturing, can't wait till you get to the actual game play mechanisms!

*bookmarked*

12. Sildaekar

Sildaekar

[double post] :/

13. ZaninDevelopper

ZaninDevelopper

Awesome! I'm definetly gonna watch those videos. I don't have much time due to real life, but I'll definetly find some and watch them.
    Too bad I don't have 3DS Max, but nonetheless, I'm sure I'll learn a lot on your tutorials :D

The best part is: it's free. You could charge people for these kinds of lectures to make some money out of them. I wouldn't mind paying for good lectures.

Now I'll go watch the videos. Don't disappoint me ;D

[EDIT] I didn't get much from part 1 due to it being modelling, whereas I'm more of a programmer, but it was very detailed and well explained. I wasn't disappointed at all. Can't wait till the programming part :D
    I'll take a look at the photoshop part now.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2013
  14. monsieur_alpha123121

monsieur_alpha123121

This is really nice thank you very much for making this and inspiring me to make a little horror game in my spare time.

15. CodeMankey

CodeMankey

This is great so far. I'm a video in. I do have one tiny thing for you. The word you want is course, not corse. :)

16. Gobblins

Gobblins

I just logged in to thank you for your effort in such a good tutorial. I really appreciate the help you are providing. I cant wait to finish the series.:)

17. nofosu1

nofosu1

Great Tutorials so far, very in depth. I really hope you keep this up!

18. fernandovt

fernandovt

IgorAherne:

I'm really, really excited for the pathfinding for enemies that you have created!!, I have been looking it up since I started Unity (like 2 years ago). It means everything for my horror game. I just can't wait to see your script and see how i could implement it to my project:):). Can i contact you by email or something?? Please:), You series of videos is awesome but i think i will die waiting for the episode where you explain your pathfinding

19. IgorAherne

IgorAherne

Thank you everybody!

There seemes to be a problem with the third part, but it isn't tied with copyright. I am talking to Youtube Support team to see if Part #3 can be returned back to me, and figuring out the problem. Else, I will have to re-upload it, meaning that the likes, views and comments will be lost :'<

Edited: re-uploaded part #3, so it's live again

Sorry, I can't reveal the script for IA yet, since the whole idea behind those tutorials is to complete my own portfolio I will open up everything gradually

Igor

20. SICKnick36

SICKnick36

I'm using a mac so 3ds isn't officially supported but maya is can I use that instead of 3ds please reply urgent

21. Net Force

Net Force

About to start Watching these tutorial! Its like the complete package to learn from.

22. IgorAherne

IgorAherne

For sure :)

23. triminh966

triminh966

Thanks IgorAherne, you are my hero! :D

24. PsychoWolf

PsychoWolf

Hey great tutorials, I can't wait the finish!!!

25. ani-gamer

ani-gamer

yes, i am also using maya. :|

26. jekwa0001

jekwa0001

I like your tutorials, it is really helping me but is that all of them or is there more coming soon?

27. Conflei

Conflei

You rock.

28. IgorAherne

IgorAherne

Everybody with maya, read part #1 comments on youtube.

Part #5 is comming out in a weak, polishing it out and constantly recording
    Every tutorial is essentially a 5-7 hours session compressed down to 90 min length.

Got couple exams comming up as well

Last edited: Jan 13, 2014
  29. nandasasmita

nandasasmita

igor, what algorithm you use for the ai to find the shortest path?

thanks before.

30. IgorAherne

IgorAherne

31. Bakaender

Bakaender

Really good tutorials, thanks for making these.

32. hqtitan

hqtitan

These look great. I haven't actually started watching them yet, but they look like a perfect intro into the world of game making. Hoping to learn a lot from your videos!

33. IgorAherne

IgorAherne

Thank you!

lol guys!

I had an AI structure for game that had to be baked, for about 5 minutes total, with all recursions and stuff.
    Now that I've used threading in Unity, it happened in 10 seconds.

That's what I am talking about! When we get to programming you won't be disappointed, but be ready since the end stage will be really hardcore. There is still so much time ahead though, let's first finish 3ds max

Happy New Year everyone!
    Igor

34. Shadow_Fire

Shadow_Fire

I'm really looking forward for when this tutorial reach the Unity parts. So far you have been greeeat. I just hope you don't give up halfway like most of the tutorials out there. They started out great but somehow lose the motivation and just stop or do something totally different.
    I'll be waiting for the hardcore end stage XD. Can't wait!

35. MrDonkey

MrDonkey

Very awesome in depth tutorials. Looking forward to you continuing this.

36. IgorAherne

IgorAherne

Don't worry, I am definitely going to continue. What happens to other tutorials, is their teachers probably get out of 1:1 ratio from having the right knowledge /support from the audience. My ratio is close to 1 to 1, so all should be released as promised.

To be fair, modeling is a heart of your game. It's literally what the user will interact with, what will be the first-hand impression. Doesn't matter how well the developer knows Unity, if he is missing this huge piece of knowledge, the game will never look good. Players will be saying "-Well, that's the Indie game, the person did it on his own, it's quite an achievement already". In reality he simply didn't put enough of effort into it - otherwise it would be way above games like Slenderman, etc - games without any good 3D, but with a good plot and idea. It's really about the presentation.

Let's see what we will come out with)

As well as preparing to part #6, I am researching on how to improve current AI for later lessons.
    Will re-design the system and make use of binary searches. Really sweet.
    Coming back on 20th. Part #6 is going to be out around the 27th.
    Till then!
    Igor

37. MrDonkey

MrDonkey

I completely agree with that train of thought. An emphasis on good modeling or even model variety greatly improves the feel of the game. Obviously you have to take the size of the team into consideration, however, modeling should not be undermined.

For example, if you create a game (similar to an landscape type rpg), you better have a large variety of different types of grass/trees/rocks (sometimes just a different texture/scale of the model would suffice). That may sound irrational to some people, but even if you have a great plot/idea, the lack of modeling in a game like that would draw many users away from it. Well, users like me, anyway.

38. IgorAherne

IgorAherne

Hello Everyone!
    This has been 1 day passed a promissed release of part #6, but I am working really hard on it.
    I literally spent 70+ hours on edditing, and still have a couple of sections to complete. Indeed, rigging is one of the hardest areas, my task is to ensure that I will produce a high-quality content so that everyone can master it.
    The release date is extended
    Igor

39. Shadow_Fire

Shadow_Fire

Thanks Igor! Just wanted to log in and said that we appreciate your hard work. We'll gladly wait for it.

40. IgorAherne

IgorAherne

Part 6 is out. It's nearly 6 hours long

You are standing on the top of a mountain for 3D for games. Many have fallen off or gave up by now, and will not be able to learn what you will, today.

This is already the most difficult area of 3DS max, - it will not be any harder than that.

How to create a professional rig for the character?
    Part #6 provides a clear answer and a set of instructions.

Take enough of supplies in the form of tea and cookies, grab a rope and a few strongests carbines, we are going towards a new height!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JoiacPDUjw

Let's get going!

Igor

Last edited: Mar 15, 2014
  41. DalerHakimov

DalerHakimov

I want to download your videos, could you please upload them in dropbox or somewhere else? Thanks, and keep up the good work)

42. IgorAherne

IgorAherne

You can always get a medium-quality via savefrom.net

Keep in mind that this is for personal, non-commercial use only, none of the parts of my videos can be used in any other way without my permission.

Thank you :)
    Igor

43. ne0lith

ne0lith

Hats off to you for all this work, it's really appreciated.

44. madhavan.r

madhavan.r

at part 1 you said that you are going to make a first person horror. but at the end of part 3 you showed us third person horror. are you making a first person horror game or third person horror game?

45. IgorAherne

IgorAherne

If you are talking about AI, top view was the only way of showing all monsters at once.

we are working towards a First-person, don't worry

46. VoLkizz

VoLkizz

Hello Igor!
    After watching Part #2 of your tutorial I have question:

I have problem with texturing - after following your steps I came to the point where I transfer retouch texture from Ps to 3ds and the quality of them in 3ds is much worse then in Ps. I've tried to play with resolution, nothing help.
    Note: when I didn't retouch the textures they looks acceptable in 3ds)

Please help.

47. IgorAherne

IgorAherne

oki, look at the object in the viewport and press f9. If the resulted image has an object with a full-res texture, then you simply need to adjust viewport preview quality settings of 3ds max.
    Go to Customize (top panel) - > preference settings -> viewports tab and change the driver to be the latest one. It may be harder if your 3ds max is 2013+ version.

To solve it in this case - http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/3ds-M...urse-low-in-Nitrous-viewport-Not/td-p/4287722
    or
    Click to top left + in the viewport's left corner
    select configure viewports
    select Display Performance tab
    Texture map 1024 pixel or higer
    (Copypasta from: http://forum.cgpersia.com/f32/solve...appear-low-res-viewports-73444/#ixzz2xQ9IybN3)

Don't forget to reload 3ds max

48. Scasillas1

Scasillas1

I can't afford to purchase the license for Unity, but instead downloaded the free version. I noticed 3ds max has a free license for students and that could work as well. My question is: how much work could I possibly do as a poor college student who wants to learn how to do all this? I've long been a fan of the horror genre (movies and games) and wish to use my background in psychology to create my own horror game. Again, due to limited resources, I don't know what's possible right now. What are my options?

49. PurpleFlow

PurpleFlow

I'm in the same position as you (studying psychology too). I'd recommend downloading Blender which is COMPLETELY free to use and use that to create your game assets. Igor will be teaching Unity coding eventually and we'll probably be able to use models made in Blender instead of 3DS Max with Igor's tutorials. That's what I'm doing anyway.

50. VoLkizz

VoLkizz

Thanks Igor)

The second way is working (3ds 2014 for students), you've saved me from suffering with that