Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Screen Space Reflections for Unity

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by LIVENDA, Nov 1, 2013.

1. kurylo3d

kurylo3d

any info on that GI solution from candela i have been hearing about?

2. ArchVizPRO

ArchVizPRO

Hello
    I use Candela SSRR on my last project

Soon the standalone exe will be available to download.

KRGraphics, Cynicat, sotec and 2 others like this.
  3. hopeful

hopeful

I notice it is still on sale for $75 in the store, and we're about a week into August.

4. Soul-Challenger

Soul-Challenger

"Soon"

5. kurylo3d

kurylo3d

Pretty sure their Nephilim DX11 Ocean & Water Engine has been on their site for the last year or 2 unreleased lol.. so soon can mean anything lol.

6. Soul-Challenger

Soul-Challenger

Yeah, it's those good old hype-building words...:rolleyes: but given the disasters other GI solutions have become, I don't mind them/him taking their/his time.

7. kurylo3d

kurylo3d

I would love it soon just cause im hoping to get my oculus rift dev kit 2 soon and want to build and light a scene accordingly to get the best out of draw calls and performance :p.

8. kurylo3d

kurylo3d

Really nice scene. Got any wireframes on the scene and furniture?

9. LIVENDA

LIVENDA

Hi, thanks for your interest, Candela SSRR is a Post effect and easy to use, to get started just drop the Candela SSRR system on to your camera and you are good to go.

We have submitted the price change to Unity already and it takes a few days before the change is applied (there is no easy way to do this with the asset store at this stage, even just changing the price we have to wait a few days and this can take from 3-10 days) . The good news is it will be $75 until Unity changes the price! So if anyone is interested you still have time to purchase at a great discount.

We will be posting all Spectra GI news on the Spectra GI thread, we are working very hard and diligently to bring this solution to the Unity community.

What can we say, just Wow! Gorgeous. Very nice use of Candela SSRR, subtle and very fitting. Without the Candela SSRR reflections the scene will certainly be missing a very important element as in real life every surface is reflective to a certain degree.

With our upcoming Spectra GI you will be able to get a complete dynamic GI solution with that scene easily and gain the ability to change the time of day plus add as many area lights as you wish.

We will soon be also announcing our Next Gen 'Total Reflections' solution elevating Unity beyond other engines. This will close the loop (a required feature) for proper GI & PBS shaders, as reflections are an integral part and everything has to work together.

Great work and all the best.

Cheers

Last edited: Aug 5, 2014
    ArchVizPRO likes this.
  10. movra

movra

Announcement of the announcement :D

If I understand correctly, Total Reflections is a separate product requiring both Candela SSRR and Spectra GI?

11. LIVENDA

LIVENDA

I agree it did sound kinda like that:) anyway, ' Total Reflections' is the project name only not the official release product name and is a separate product, more on this very soon.

Cheers

12. ArchVizPRO

ArchVizPRO

Thanks
    Can't wait for SPECTRA GI !!! Dynamic Global Illumination opens a lot of door for Architectural Visualization.
    Only one question.. what's the difference with Enlight the new GI system of Unity 5 ?
    You need beta tester :D ?

13. JohnRossitter

JohnRossitter

Thanks for making such a great asset!

I get it to work in the Unity Player, but when I publish on OSX (10.8.5) it just freezes up on loading. The game will load up to about a gig of RAM and locks at 25% CPU.

Is there something special I need to set in the player settings?

Thanks!

14. bcoyle

bcoyle

It's an Image Effect, attached to your camera. And then you adjust the reflection amount and blurriness through individual shaders. The effect is a screen space effect, so only things in your view will look like their reflecting into objects around it.

Candela supplies shaders that work with controlling the reflections, or you can adjust your own shaders to allow for using the color alpha & spec (?). That's pretty much the jist of it.

15. FogGobbler

FogGobbler

"...for proper GI & PBS shaders, as reflections.." is like HIV virus or CMS system ;-) . Anyway, sounds interesting! Find myself clicking this damn forum every 5 minutes to check for any news :) .

16. kurylo3d

kurylo3d

17. FogGobbler

FogGobbler

Yes, I´m checking both :) .

18. JohnRossitter

JohnRossitter

Bump Bump

19. metaleap

metaleap

So this just appeared in my Twitter feed and I'd argue will be "required reading" for anyone providing screen-space raytraced reflections including the fine folks at @LIVENDA :D

http://casual-effects.blogspot.com/2014/08/screen-space-ray-tracing.html#more

They improved the "standard" distribution of the per-pixel casting-steps for perspective-projected (ie most 3D screnes) screen-space without adding more stepping iterations. If Candela doesn't yet incorporate McGuire's & Mara's new described-above tweaks, I'd certainly encourage you guys to add this to your to-do list for a massive gain in reflection quality at the same cost!

braaad likes this.
  20. JohnRossitter

JohnRossitter

Bump Again?

21. LIVENDA

LIVENDA

Please check you e-mail as we have contacted you yesterday, cheers.

Thanks for the link, interesting method. Candela SSRR is already using a similar concept, nevertheless it's always great to study novel new techniques.

22. JohnRossitter

JohnRossitter

Nothing in my inbox...

23. bcoyle

bcoyle

This got me excited about my purchase of CandelaSSR, that the package would become rounded out with all sorts of features for creating reflections. But now you're saying that it's a new separate product called 'Total Reflections'

hopeful likes this.
  24. sotec

sotec

awesome work, if you give us the exe, so that i can show it to my boss, he will seriously think about getting SSRR ^^

25. JohnRossitter

JohnRossitter

Still nothing in my Inbox....c'mon guys...

26. LIVENDA

LIVENDA

No, Candela SSRR will continue getting all the updates mentioned including BPCEM support and all the improvements we can make indefinitely. The difference is Candela SSRR is primarily a 'Screen Space' based system , our 'project name only Total reflections' is a completely new product which is going to provide a complete GLOBAL reflection solution for Unity combining multiple methods with an incredible no-brainer workflow. NO shader modification will be required for any default or third-party shader products. We cannot wait to show you the first details probably next week.

We just re-sent you another e-mail, please check, thanks again.

Cheers

hopeful likes this.
  27. angelodelvecchio

angelodelvecchio

sent you a PM

Many thanks

28. nottehfool

nottehfool

Hi,
    I'm testing Candela and am experiencing severe performance issues.
    Enabling "High precision depth" and "CompleteExcludeMode" seems to be necessary in order to reflect transparent objects. There are few of them, but reflections look bad when they are excluded. Enabling these two options causes CandelaSSRR.OnPreRender() to increase from 0 to 32ms

This is using the default settings, the latest version of Unity Pro, a powerful computer, and otherwise very smooth performance without SSRR enabled.
    edit: and deferred rendering

Naturally I aim to hit 16ms for the entire renderer, so 32ms for SSRR alone is a no-go.

I'm wondering whether this is a bug on my end or an issue with my setup as the documentation states "CandelaSSRR is designed to work with low-end hardware", whereas I have high-end hardware and am not getting real-time performance.

Any advice?

Last edited: Sep 1, 2014
  29. kurylo3d

kurylo3d

Hey, I was curious about fresnal controls. Is there away to control reflection strength depending on the angle viewing it from?

30. JCY

JCY

Just purchased this and looks promising so far. Has anyone modified the shaders to include a slot for a lightmap?

31. HeliosDoubleSix

HeliosDoubleSix

32. hyperrodik

hyperrodik

can any1 explain me please how it works or make a quick tutorial to see how to use it before i buy? please? thank You

33. LIVENDA

LIVENDA

Hi Everyone,

We have just found out our Candela SSRR link on the Asset Store is broken and no reference can be found. We have contacted Unity to resolve this ASAP. We are hoping it will be fixed shortly.

Cheers
    Livenda

34. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Good to know. I'm looking forward to adding this to my tool set, hoping it will go on sale soon. :)

35. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

OMG, it's on sale for 65... :) I gotta have it...

36. LIVENDA

LIVENDA

Yes, to make it official here is the deal, also we are going to have a great upgrade option for everyone who purchase/d Candela SSRR when the 'Total Reflections' product is released. The upcoming Total Reflections (project name only) is our next gen reflection solution.

Candela SSRR NO-BRAINER SALE ON NOW!
    ALMOST HALF PRICE for a limited time, Normally $125 NOW ONLY $65 until 10/01/2014

Cheers,
    Livenda

Last edited: Sep 20, 2014
  37. LIVENDA

LIVENDA

On the Asset Store page it mentions less than half price, this is an error and is now fixed until Unity updates the wording. The price is $65 (almost half price) until the 1st of October, normally $125

Cheers,
    Livenda

38. Crazy Robot

Crazy Robot

I've had this on my wish list for a long time now wait to see some performance info in mobile. Has anyone used it on mobile yet?

39. LIVENDA

LIVENDA

Hi, with the current gen mobile devices, not meaningfully possible at this stage. However on the PC, Mac, consoles, Candela SSRR can be added, no problem. You also have many options to tweak for your performance/ quality targets.

Cheers

40. kurylo3d

kurylo3d

Hey livenda, I own it but have not tested yet. I'm just wondering is there a way to have reflection strength based on the angle your viewing a wall or floor at? Something that just works or i would modify in a shader? Any avenue or input would be appreciated :).

41. LIVENDA

LIVENDA

Candela SSRR is already doing this, the 'Global Fade' value is primarily the fresnel value. The smaller this value the less the reflections at perpendicular angles. The ' Graze blur power' is another option available, this will increase blur as the grazing angle decreases. We will be adding more options for this in the next update and make it a little more intuitive.

Cheers

Candela SSRR NO-BRAINER SALE ON NOW!
    ALMOST HALF PRICE for a limited time, Normally $125 NOW ONLY $65 until 1st OCTOBER

KRGraphics likes this.
  42. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

I can't wait to sink my teeth into this tool. I'll be even more glad if it has overrides that allow me to set cubemaps on static objects of my choosing such as objects far away.

43. kurylo3d

kurylo3d

Thanks.

Curious, when is the next update for this product?

44. Deleted User

Deleted User

@LIVENDA
    Very eager to get a hold of the "Total Reflections" product. I'm curious how it will look once we integrate it with Alloy! XD

45. lazygunn

lazygunn

I'm keen to know two, i've been hoping for updates for quite a long time, since they were promised quite a long time, and the total reflections thing sounds like something they said would be a feature for this but now is a new product entirely

I'm a bit questioning of the marketing style here too, it implies you have no brains if you don't buy this, do i have no brains for buying it at full price?

46. LIVENDA

LIVENDA

This is a very exciting product and if everything is OK (so far looking great) we should have the complete details being announced shortly.

Total Reflections (project name only at this stage) is an entirely new product (it will use a highly modified version of Candela SSRR as part of it's solution, it is not just an addition to the current product as it is not possible) The current Candela SSRR will certainly continue getting updates/ improvements and fixes.

We will have an option for everyone who have already purchased Candela SSRR to purchase at a great discount! The No-brainer term you mention :) yes it's just a figure of speech, we don't mean to imply you don't have a brain if you don't buy this, it's just at a great discounted price now if you were thinking of purchasing (Don't forget, everyone who owns a license of Candela SSRR will receive a discount on the new Total Reflections product when released)

Cheers,
    Livenda

47. kurylo3d

kurylo3d

im not even going to bother letting myself get excited for that. The amount of time the gi and the ocean shader are taking.. i'd just be setting myself up for disappointment. Maybe in Unity 6.

48. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Just purchased Candela... :) Everything looks good even in a simple scene.

49. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

I do have a question about reflection casting... I am using Alloy with this package and I have the reflection mode to Skyshop, but when I hit play, I don't get reflections in the scene at all... how do I ensure that I get reflections from the surrounding objects even with this enabled?

EDIT: Nevermind.. I see the reflections... and it looks good...I just have to make sure I play around with the scene :)

Last edited: Sep 26, 2014
  50. LIVENDA

LIVENDA

Just a reminder to anyone interested, Today is the last day for the Candela SSRR Almost Half price sale at $65 (well until Unity updates the price back to the original $125) , to the Asset Store

Cheers.