Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Omega Void WIP.

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by DeadKenny, Sep 15, 2013.

1. DeadKenny

DeadKenny

Yup, binos and snipers will be added.

The other thing to note is that you will get missions to clear out a place. So you don't really have to loot anything to get paid.

2. Whiteleaf

Whiteleaf

Hows that coming along? Is the quest system fully implemented, or(I'm guessing--since it's probably a huge task) is it still being worked on?

3. DeadKenny

DeadKenny

Have not started work on it yet. Have to complete some other things before hand like communication with npcs and factions... and also the core of the economy.

4. DeadKenny

DeadKenny

Small update on hover vehicles. I have begun adding the first set and reworking old models to fit the improved graphics. Also working on the final bits of the hover code.

Hovering1ThilakshaEkanayake.png

5. Whiteleaf

Whiteleaf

Orange seems really saturated to me, maybe just a bit lower.

6. DeadKenny

DeadKenny

Its got to do with the shader and lighting, not the texture. I will fix that later on, but I will make a note of it.

7. DeadKenny

DeadKenny

Update on space. I plan on releasing another video soon on the core space stuff. So far I am working on fixing the space flight with some assists as so far its far to brutal and hard to fly the ships.

Also other work includes finishing up the first set of station and space ships.

Space1ThilakshaEkanayake.png

8. Whiteleaf

Whiteleaf

I really dislike it in games when vehicles are very hard to drive; good to know you're a developer that's acknowledging that. :) What's the small ship on the roof called?

9. DeadKenny

DeadKenny

Just remember that the movement won't be arcady, it will be in the same realism range as the car in the first video. Hope you are not expecting arcade vehicle physics, because thats something I am trying to avoid. It will be harder than GTA5s flight physics, but not like a flight sim. So in between a simulator and say something like Free Lancer.

You will be able to switch the assist off which will apply no adjustments to the flight in space. It will allow some new movement options for people to find out for themselves. So if someone is really skill full it can be an advantage.

Also, its not a ship, its part of the station. Like a small control tower.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2015
  10. Whiteleaf

Whiteleaf

Oh okay. And no, I was not hoping for arcady style driving. I like realistic driving, just not super-incredibly realistic driving.

11. DeadKenny

DeadKenny

Small update. Begun ingame work on the lore along with main galaxy textures(important to lore).

Space3ThilakshaEkanayake.png

Last edited: Jul 15, 2015
  12. Serinx

Serinx

Looks like this is coming along really nicely, keep up the good work!

DeadKenny likes this.
  13. DeadKenny

DeadKenny

14. Whiteleaf

Whiteleaf

Interesting. Planet textures are linked into lore? Hmm.... ;)

15. DeadKenny

DeadKenny

The galaxy textures, not planet textures. Technically the main galaxy texture is the one I am talking about. The stars you see in that map are from it.

People who are very knowledgeable about space might be able figure something out about the lore just from the screenshots I will put up in the coming days. Not going to spill much about the story though as stated before.

16. Whiteleaf

Whiteleaf

Oh. >_< I feel so stupid. :D

17. DeadKenny

DeadKenny

Important update I missed posting in this forum due to the video promise: Weapons use a penetration system using the physics to determine if it will get through armor and effect components within objects. The health bars are only for the players health and also for shields(if you have). Things like vehicle and buildings mostly don't use an overall health, its based on health of components(which generally get one shotted to death if it pens, but not all the time). The angling also counts.

Basically, there is no RNG when it comes to weapons.

WeaponsNoRNGYAY.png

18. Whiteleaf

Whiteleaf

I'm guessing that the green line is representing the bullet being shot through a way? Or is that a line render or Debug.DrawRay? Either way seems pretty sweet.

19. DeadKenny

DeadKenny

Oh its just debug.

20. DeadKenny

DeadKenny

More progress in space, for upcoming video.

I have begun work on the all important hyperspace and lightspeed mechanic, aka the how you get around a galaxy without wasting your time.

Space4ThilakshaEkanayake.png

21. Whiteleaf

Whiteleaf

Star Wars influence? :p

22. DeadKenny

DeadKenny

Star wars? I didn't really use any inspiration for that thing in the pic above.

Oh you mean that hyperspace thing that attaches to the ship in Star wars? Nope that thing above is not like that. Its more like a gate.

23. Whiteleaf

Whiteleaf

Oh okay, it reminded of that thing in Star Wars. Especially since you talked about hyper speed stuff.

24. DeadKenny

DeadKenny

Moar progress on space, as said before the artwork like the stars and what you see is important to and part of the lore of the game. That galaxy you see in the pic below is the neighboring galaxy to the one in which the game takes place. Its got a special meaning too, but I wont spill no beans on it. :) Space5ThilakshaEkanayake.png

25. Whiteleaf

Whiteleaf

I wonder, how open world will this be? How many galaxies and planets do you think will exist? You pretty much have no limits--that is if you optimize the generation of planets/galaxies well. You're capable of doing whatever you want; so I'm excited to see what comes down the road! :)

26. DeadKenny

DeadKenny

I ask myself the same question Whiteleaf. However the first major step is to get 2 solar systems, deep space for you to play in AND all the core features like trading, ship, ground vehicles, AI and weapons. That is for early access. Which I want to get to as soon as possible.

The next big step is the generation of the solar system and hyperspace. The hardest part will be generation of planets(not the landscape you land on but the entire planet).

Whiteleaf likes this.
  27. DeadKenny

DeadKenny

Building up to 2nd video, the 1st space vid.

Space6ThilakshaEkanayake.png

NB: Only certain ships can land on planets with atmospheres. Usually they have wings and very tough underbelly.

Also I have made more progress on planet and solar system code... and art. I will show that soon too.

28. DeadKenny

DeadKenny

Another old update I forgot to mention here: Resources are now in the game, you will be able to capture them from enemies, find them or mine them. It will be bulk mining though, with some heavy equipment or NPC jobs... so don't expect to go running around punching trees for wood. You will also need transport for them like a truck since they take up lots of space.

Oil.png

29. Whiteleaf

Whiteleaf

I like the low poly style of this game. Also, do you texture your own stuff or do you buy textures?

30. DeadKenny

DeadKenny

Its not really low poly, Its just certain models will be low poly like the barrels. Since they will be all over the place. Want to try optimise as much as possible early on. If you look at the vehicle models from before and now you will see a massive difference in polygon count. Also some models are simplistic so they look low poly from far but are not when you get close. I tend to make things seem functional rather than purely for looks.

I texture everything, model everything and code everything. None are bought.

31. Whiteleaf

Whiteleaf

Oh, I see. I have to say you're one of the most talented single devs that I've seen, you can model, texture, and code.

DeadKenny likes this.
  32. DeadKenny

DeadKenny

Thanks Whiteleaf.

I hope I will be able get funded on kickstarter when I put it on, then I can hire people to work for me.

33. DeadKenny

DeadKenny

Progress on procedural space. Now the planet models themselves and their positions(aka Solar System) are procedurally made too like the planet surfaces you can land on. Space7ThilakshaEkanayake.png

34. Whiteleaf

Whiteleaf

Cool! This is truly a one of a kind open world game. Very few have procedural generation, especially when there's quests and such.

35. DeadKenny

DeadKenny

Thanks...

Any more questions or feedback from people is welcome.

Also in case people think there is no gameplay video go to the 1st page its right there on top.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2015
  36. DeadKenny

DeadKenny

NPC bases... the world will be building npcs not simply spawning them out of thin air. You can destroy buildings!! Also need a break from space :). Going back to ground for a short time, need to sort out a lot of stuff down here.

FactoriesThilakshaEkanayake.png

37. DeadKenny

DeadKenny

AugustGroundTankDesThilakshaEkanayake.png Update!!! Been working on a lot of stuff at once.

-Tank destroyers, fixed weapons.
    -Weapon projectiles and damage.
    -AI vehicles
    -Models
    -Everything basically

Also one important change is the mouse aim on vehicles and turrets has been removed.and replaced with an axis input system. Mouse is only going to be for the platyer while vehicles will have a more simulator feel to them now and be harder to aim with. This also balances the players and vehicles a bit more since people can't just point and click you death sitting in their tank from far so easily.

Also I am about to put it on Steam so yeah...

Oh and subscribe to my Youtube channel if you want. I will be updating the Dev videos there first.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKCFIhlv7VuJpNfMKxeE7qw

38. Whiteleaf

Whiteleaf

If this game doesn't get Greenlit... ;-;

DeadKenny likes this.
  39. DeadKenny

DeadKenny

I have confidence that it will.

40. DeadKenny

DeadKenny

Just want to update. The game is still going strong... Had a big delay with the terrain, man was it giving me trouble.

NB: Crackling in video is NOT in game, its from the video recorder.

ThilakshaEkanyakeBuggySunset.png

41. Whiteleaf

Whiteleaf

Woah! I totally forgot about this game! Guess I should be visiting IndieDB more often, hehe. Anyways I really like the new armor.

DeadKenny likes this.
  42. Crazie Official

Crazie Official

This looks cool. I hope one day to develop a game like this.

DeadKenny likes this.
  43. Aimlessone

Aimlessone

Dang man, this game has come a long way! Keep up the good work!

DeadKenny likes this.
  44. DeadKenny

DeadKenny

Thanks guys! Yeah, still need to show off the progress on space. Its a bit tricky though to work in space. Should be ready much quicker than the ground stuff, since theres no issues so far to overcome.

45. DeadKenny

DeadKenny

Just a small update.
    Got some atmospheric scattering and also a bit more stuff done in space.

AtsScat2016ThilakshaEkanayake.png

Space2016ThilakshaEkanayake.png

Whiteleaf likes this.
  46. DeadKenny

DeadKenny

Hey guys, I just wanted to make an update saying the game isn't dead(nearly died). However some changes are coming and the overall goal of the game and where its going will be laid out.

A lot of stuff has been done though.

Update2016-01.png

Whiteleaf likes this.
  47. DeadKenny

DeadKenny

Hey just a quick update of progress.

Weather and day night cycle WIP:

First space flight video:

Check the indiedb page here many other updates. See first comment of screenshots and videos for teh meaty descriptions. http://www.indiedb.com/games/xeno-ranger

48. DeadKenny

DeadKenny

Planets with life WIP. This one is called Geal. They will be rare though and usually with heavy military presence.
    GealWIP2016.png

Whiteleaf likes this.
  49. DeadKenny

DeadKenny

Early faction overview and a little lore:

In Xeno Ranger You will be able to pick any to start from, you can change them during your game
    but the ease will depend on the faction you are in and the faction you want to join.

One of the main features will be the different starting options which are heavily tied to factions you can join. Bottom line, your faction ID is important, it will affect a lot of things.

Your path is very open ended but you will have clear goals and progression in the rank systems per faction.
    The rank you achieve will also change the other factions perception of you. It will affect how badly they want to kill you for example.

The main factions and part 1 release:

Torans(Human)

-Scattered para military and rebel forces.
    -In a long bitter war with Remnant for their home Toran system. They absolutely hate the Remnant.
    -Hit and run tactics, bombing campaigns, subversion(especially in home system) etc.
    -More willing to work with independent and pirate factions.
    -

Remnant Core(Human)

-Pure military faction based on large space fleets.
    -Have massive presence on certain planets but do not dedicate much to bases.
    -At war with Torans, extra brutal toward them.
    -Less likely to work with independent and pirate factions.
    -

Smaller factions(Human)

-Multiple different independent factions with varying allegiances.
    -Many small pirate factions without any large planetary presence and are mostly raiding parties coming in from deep space.
    -Easy to be closely allied with many at the same time.
    -Also includes civilian factions focused on business like mining, trading etc.

Independent player(Human).

-Mercenaries, lone wolves, pirates and player created factions(stretch goal) go here.
    -Hardest difficulty, or rather a very tricky one since you are on your own.
    -Starting points are more randomized.

Again, you will be able to pick any at the start, your experience can vary greatly depending on this.

Link to IndieDB: http://www.indiedb.com/games/xeno-ranger/news/dev-progress-factions-and-a-little-lore

I will reply here to your questions here if you got any.

50. DeadKenny

DeadKenny

Some new screenshots of environmental/terrain work.

2017ClifssTora.png
    IcesheetWIP.png

Attached Files:

Whiteleaf and PhilippG like this.