Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Omega Void WIP.

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by DeadKenny, Sep 15, 2013.

1. Whiteleaf

Whiteleaf

Oh alright. Explains why it looks so good. xD

But I'm sure when you release the gameplay/demo it will gain more popularity. When you do release the demo/gameplay then I would edit the title and say "NEW DEMO AVAILABLE" or "Gameplay video released!" or something along those lines. A lot of people love to see WIP games with demos especially, and gameplay videos.

2. DeadKenny

DeadKenny

WIP of drone hauler and interiors.

The drone hauler is actually capable of being a pretty hefty military unit too. It can outfit two more weapons on the sides in addition to the small one you see in the front. However its main purpose is to haul stuff around on trailers. ThilakshaEkanayakeDroneSpace.png

I have started working on the interiors. There won't be that many because your focus is outside mostly but I have a small trick to make it more diverse.

ThilakshaEkanayakeSpaceInteriorWIP.png

3. Whiteleaf

Whiteleaf

The inside looks really nice! How long does it take you to make models/make interiors like that?

4. DeadKenny

DeadKenny

Few hours. Cant really tell to be honest because I work on everything at once. Don't finish one thing then move on. I sort of gradually work on everything until I am satisfied.

5. DeadKenny

DeadKenny

Random screen of WIP until I get the stuff for the first video ready. :) If you look close the models are more detailed than before, will get more detailed gradually.

ThilakshaEkanayakeRandomScreen.png

6. Whiteleaf

Whiteleaf

When I saw video I smiled. Can't wait! :D

7. DeadKenny

DeadKenny

Another random work in progress screen until video. Its going be slightly delayed, but its coming I promise. I don't want it to be some bare bones gameplay trailer, so I'm busy going back and fixing a lot of things, to make it look and feel mostly like the final game.

Anyway here you can see some dust effects... Well there's only one dust effect so far actually. Fixed some horrible stuff it was doing.

ThilakshaEkanayakeRandomScreenDust.png

8. Whiteleaf

Whiteleaf

The dust actually looks quite realistic; good work!

9. DeadKenny

DeadKenny

Thanks man.

10. Whiteleaf

Whiteleaf

Do you think anti aliasing will lower your PC performance? It makes things smoother, and it looks good. Yours is hard-edge, I guess. But with it on it makes the pixels smoother but lowers performance.

Also, I made a model for my game, and saved it as a .fbx file (in Blender)and brought it into Unity. Most people expect you to be using Maya for .fbx but I'm not, so their solution is to click "add colliders" or something. My problem is that whenever I import it and add like ANY collider to falls through the floor; know what is causing this?

11. DeadKenny

DeadKenny

Err... Anti aliasing increases the detail by using up more of the GPU so it WILL make it slower, but also depends on your hardware, you won't notice on some if they are powerful.

I add colliders manually so I'm not sure, perhaps your physics settings and layers are not set to collide or something is a trigger.

Other than that please don't ask questions like this on my game topic. This is NOT a toturial/help topic. I don't mean to be mean though, hope you understand.

12. Whiteleaf

Whiteleaf

Alright, everywhere I go they say add colliders. Guess I'll try and export it to something else. Thanks for the info on physics! And I understand. :)

13. DeadKenny

DeadKenny

Gameplay video delayed. Having a huge fight with my procedural terrain... which I am winning slowly(I think).

Pics of said fight:

The maps have bounds and limits but they are HUGE!!! The player and the shop and a few vehicles are actually right here in this pic, but so small you cant see even if you put draw distance to max
    ThilakshaEkanayakeRandomPterrainExampleWhole.png

Here is what its like on the ground(God knows where on the top map). Still needs much work and details, but I'm trying to get it so everything doesn't crash :).

ThilakshaEkanayakeRandomPterrainExample.png .

14. Whiteleaf

Whiteleaf

What I would do is(Like Minecraft, if you've ever played it) make the terrain generate as you go along.

So basically, you start out maybe in a 20,000 square foot map. Then when head in any direction, will expand the terrain out the way you're going. I don't it it will crash, and it gives you the advantage to maybe making random shops, and such?

15. DeadKenny

DeadKenny

It won't work for my game. Instantiating that much data on the go will take so much out of the system especially since its multiplayer. Also it will take much longer even to test it assuming it will work(which it wont). The system I have now is the best for what I need.

Also the map is actually completely random at the moment. Each time you play its an entirely different map with the same size, but thats not exactly what I want. Buildings(including shops), vehicles and pretty much everything else can be randomly placed each time you play, which is part of what I am aiming to achieve.

Also I don't want my game to be anything like Minecraft...

16. Whiteleaf

Whiteleaf

Well, it wouldn't be like Minecraft since it's way different. I don't think making terrain generation create as you walk would be like MC at all. But why not have players clients collect separate data for the terrain? For example, one player walked North, and another walked South. For the player that went North, he would only generate the direction he's going and not generate the South way the other player is going. Vice versa.

17. DeadKenny

DeadKenny

Well I kinda dislike minecraft on a personal level lol :). Though it is a very respectable game.

Anyway, procedural terrain like that would make the game too complicated, there would be problems for all kinds of things. Eg: how would I show other players on a map if players can be infinitely far away? How would I make distant terrain, for people on two sides of the map? How would I communicate all the things happening on one side to the other, since its infinite and random? What happens to the parts already discovered? See, it means massive undertakings just for little things, which is the worst thing for my game. Imagine having to deal with all of that and then all the physics of the cars and particles? Simply testing it while coding will take much longer. I would have to load and then unload massive amounts of data for each player in one scene. Its easy when you use voxels and uncomplicated physics with few items but in a game like mine it will be an enormous challenge. Most AAA titles don't attempt such things because it becomes unmanageable. Even the No Mans sky creator said himself that they might be stupid for attempting what they have.

Then on top of all that I will lose core gameplay, which is having a fairly large amount of players fighting over the planet surface. If everyone can just keep walking into oblivion, it won't make sense and it will get boring very quick . There is already space itself to get lost in, so no need for infinite planets.

Sorry if I seem a bit aggressive as I thought about this already a fair amount and simply came to the conclusion that it won't work, its too much to even attempt for me. Completely unnecessary for a one man game with so much other things to still work out and like I said it will break the gameplay I desire.

So its a no for Minecraft style terrain generation.

18. Whiteleaf

Whiteleaf

Yeah, never thought about that stuff. But i didn't take it aggressively. :) I understand now, I think.

19. DeadKenny

DeadKenny

Thanks for your input though I greatly appreciate it. The more the merrier.

20. DeadKenny

DeadKenny

Loot crates and UI WIP.

NB!!! The entire user interface textures are place holders, even the pixel art weapons/loot. It will be replaced within the next two days. The main reason for this is that I dislike the art direction of pixelated stuff in this game and also because I found a much easier faster method to deal with icons/effects. Also most of the coding and technical stuff for the loot is done. The crates within the crate is what holds the stuff, it will disappear once the crate is empty and I will probably add a light so you can tell without opening it.

ThilakshaEkanayakeRandomPterrainCRATEWIP.png

21. Whiteleaf

Whiteleaf

That looks so cool! I literally cannot wait till this game is even Beta released...will buy a Beta code right away. xD

22. DeadKenny

DeadKenny

Thanks bro, you are officially the games first fan. :).

Whiteleaf likes this.
  23. DeadKenny

DeadKenny

Rocks!!!.

They are randomly and procedurally placed.

Also this may look like little progress, but I have been working on many of the animations and vehicle/player interaction stuff... and some weapon stuff. So gameplay video is coming soon I promise. In the mean time just look at these here rocks :).

ThilakshaEkanayakeRandomPterrainRocks.png

24. Whiteleaf

Whiteleaf

The new HUD looks a lot better.

25. DeadKenny

DeadKenny

Thanks, yeah I want to make sure it causes the least clutter on screen as possible.

26. DeadKenny

DeadKenny

Horizon additions(now its an actual new layer not just sky box) and NPCs that hang about in the bases/towns(this guy is a friendly). They will be very aggressive if they don't know you. This world isn't going to be nice so they will try to chase you away or kill you if you decide not to run... or perhaps you are a marauder and want to raid them anyway. Factions are not properly implemented yet but they will put bounties on you for other npcs and players alike to get. Bottom line is you cant just drive/walk into town all willy nilly. Some places will have very heavy defenses you will be turned to fish paste before you even see the roofs of the buildings.

ThilakshaEkanayakeHoriz.png

Also npcs will generally spot you from far if you cross their line of sight or set off their radar in the bases. Even creature type npcs will be pretty nasty depending on type. Predators will come after you from very far away(depends on if you are in a vehicle or not).

Last edited: Jan 14, 2015
  27. Whiteleaf

Whiteleaf

Will you have to make yourself known to have the NPC's be nice at all? Like In one of the Elder Scroll games(Morrowind), you start out as a nobody and no one likes you and are rude. Then after you complete one of the guilds every(well, probably most) like you or at least don't hate you.

28. DeadKenny

DeadKenny

Well you are known to certain factions already at the start(mainly due to species and location of your first spawn), so it won't be that bad. Also the story won't have any completion status, you can make something of yourself by notoriety and get certain things that way but there isn't a big end game. Even the galaxy itself is pretty young... but I don't want to spoil the underlying story. Pretend you didn't see the galaxy is young part ok? :).

29. DeadKenny

DeadKenny

Any other feedback or questions more than welcome from anybody, even if they are mean.

30. DeadKenny

DeadKenny

Giant container of doom!!!....
    ThilakshaEkanayakeGiantDoomBox.png

...... Jokes. Its actually a multi purpose suit and weapon container, also you need it to change suits. You CANNOT simply take off the suits and put on a new one out in the open.

You can also loot it for suits/weapons.

Whiteleaf and Flamingo321 like this.
  31. Whiteleaf

Whiteleaf

I am guessing you cannot take them off in the open due to the oxygen levels? Or are you not human, and you want to treat it like real life? I wouldn't wanna take anything off out in the open...XD So it makes sense.

32. DeadKenny

DeadKenny

Well on the game lore side its because the environment is hostile to the body(as you say oxygen levels) and also because the suits are complicated and need fitting.

The other main reason is that it will cause big problems during multiplayer. It will mess with the gameplay and probably even cause lag if people are going around changing clothes all the time.

33. Whiteleaf

Whiteleaf

Yeah, and if it wasn't in there it would be a little OP in multiplayer servers. Someone could be in a fight, have their armor break, and just put a new suit on.

34. DeadKenny

DeadKenny

Yup.

The container is movable though I have not made anything proper to move it with yet. It weighs about 4 -5 tonnes in the game, around the weight of a light armored transport. Also they can be dropped into the field from orbit. That is why it looks the way it does.

ALSO... it can be destroyed.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2015
    Whiteleaf likes this.
  35. DeadKenny

DeadKenny

This is the last pic before the gameplay video I promise. The next update WILL be a video.

ThilakshaEkanayakeGiantFinalB4Vid.png

Whiteleaf and Flamingo321 like this.
  36. Whiteleaf

Whiteleaf

<3 YES! That pic is epic.

Also, just wondering, do you need help with anything? I'm an ammatuer modeller and an artist.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2015
  37. DeadKenny

DeadKenny

Thanks man.

Well, I need help for sure, but my plan is to put this on kickstarter to get money so I can start hiring people for my company and to finish the game.

I'd much rather prefer if I could pay you for your help, so I don't think its a good idea at the moment. Thanks for the offer though.

38. Whiteleaf

Whiteleaf

Well, to be honest, I am not paid yet when I work for people. Everyone that I've done art for has offered to pay me, but I decline; simply because I am not a professional at what I do yet. Everyone that I have worked with also has said my art is very good, in fact one of them actually said it was amazing! It was quite flattering.

I understand if you don't want to hire people because you don't have the money, but I'm free and not paid if you ever need me!

39. DeadKenny

DeadKenny

Alright, I will pm you.

40. Whiteleaf

Whiteleaf

Man...hope you're still working on this game. Would really stink to see it go. :/

41. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hey how is it going? I am sure many people here are looking forward to a video!

42. Whiteleaf

Whiteleaf

He's currently posting updates on his IndieDB page, because he said the next update here would be a video. I was super happy to find out the game was still going!

Deleted User likes this.
  43. Stiffx

Stiffx

It looks good but you should post a video for us to see it better ;)

44. DeadKenny

DeadKenny

Finally!!! Sorry guys for taking so long to update. As promised it is a video. Here is the first development gameplay video for Codename: Omega void.

Now I can get back to regular updates. More videos will come too.

45. Whiteleaf

Whiteleaf

:D I'm so happy right now! Looks really cool! i love the ending, kinda would suck to come across that early game...lol. AI is pretty good right now, graphics look great--although the lighting seems a bit bare(ambient occlusion maybe?). Also environment seems pretty empty, but it's still in early development so, yeah. gun sounds seem to be a little weird sounding.

Overall this looks pretty epic right now!

46. DeadKenny

DeadKenny

Thanks man, glad you like it.

No ambient occlusion yet. I need to find or make a better one than what I have available.

47. DeadKenny

DeadKenny

Also want to add that what I did as the player at the end was completely in vain. You cannot hurt heavy types of armor with small arms like that.

48. Whiteleaf

Whiteleaf

How do you escape it? :eek:

49. DeadKenny

DeadKenny

Well it was basically my mistake not to check around before going into the place on foot. You can kill it with that gun on the car you saw, depending where you shoot it. Or if you had some other anti tank weapons.

50. Whiteleaf

Whiteleaf

Interesting. So I guess it's best to scout out the area with a sniper rifle with a scope/binoculars before you charge in to loot it?