Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Omega Void WIP.

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by DeadKenny, Sep 15, 2013.

1. DeadKenny

DeadKenny

Any questions? Feedback anyone?

2. DeadKenny

DeadKenny

Hey guys, the name of the game will be changed but until I think of a really good new namethat suits the lore, this will be Code Name Omega Void from now on.

So now thats out of the way here is a screen of progress since I moved it to space. Busy working on AI and making the stations like that big thing you see in the pic. I am trying to get them to work and interact with objects within the sector of space it is in on their own, like send out units to investigate/mine/repair etc... Also that flat area is not going to be in the game. It is just a testing bed until I get zero gravity working on the players character...and AI characters. Need to make a good floating animation, shouldn't be too hard.

Anyways do comment, you guys are rather quiet. I'm scared. :)

SPACE03ThilakshaEkanayake.png

Last edited: Sep 28, 2014
  3. VertexFiend

VertexFiend

Hey!

This project looks really interesting and ambitious. It is exciting to see stuff like this!

Like people have been saying - would be great to see some gameplay!

Although I get where you're going with the simple style of the art, I think it works better in some places than others. Hard to put my finger on where that is going on exactly.

Keep going! :)

4. DeadKenny

DeadKenny

Thanks. Yeah I'm working towards a gameplay video but I want it to show basic minute to minute gameplay that will be in the final.

Also yes the art style isn't finalized, but it will be soon. I want to get it looking very close to final game before video.

5. Deleted User

Deleted User

No need for it to be close to final to make video or demo.

I liked the planet with vehicles, reminds about Dune 2. This idea with stations also sounds good.

6. DeadKenny

DeadKenny

Ok, you are right I should make a video soon without trying to make it so close to final.

So for first gameplay video I made a list for things to finish(or get working reasonably well) the following things...

-Master gravity control.(For first video its just in space).
    -Zero gravity player movement.
    -AI drones combat with player.
    -Station and station component control.(Basically more AI). This is close to complete.
    -A few texture/Model updates.

Once those 5 are done, then video.

7. DeadKenny

DeadKenny

Some progress on zero gravity or rather in space player movement. NB that trail effect is NOT going to be used. It is just a placeholder. I will replace it with small engine effects that come on and off instead of instantiating many particle emitters like in the pic. So far the movement is rather derpy but its getting there. You can aim and even kill enemies as it is though so not long to go.

Also gravity is now controlled per scene by master control. So different planets and space sectors like ones near large suns or planets can have their own gravity setting.
    For first video so far:
    -Master gravity control: DONE!!!... I think :).
    -Zero gravity player movement... 40% done.
    -AI drones combat with player: 30% done.
    -Station and station component control.(Basically more AI): 80% done
    -A few texture/Model updates: 10% done.

SPACE04SuitBoostThilakshaEkanayake.png

8. DeadKenny

DeadKenny

Started work on multiplayer. It bogged everything down, but finally got it working and it seems it won't be too hard from this point on.
    Also, I will probably get ulink for the networking since its seems very easy to upgrade from the normal unity network.

ThilakshaEkanayakeNetworkTest01.png
    Also that big thing hovering above is another space station in the making.

9. Deleted User

Deleted User

Since you are working alone, I would suggest not having a multiplayer at first, as it multiplies the effort required to finish the game.

10. Whiteleaf

Whiteleaf

Any release date of Alpha, or a Demo? It's very interesting. I want to play it right now! D:

11. RiokuTheSlayer

RiokuTheSlayer

Wow, good job with this... It looks really good. Are you the only one on the team?

12. DeadKenny

DeadKenny

I think it works the other way around for me because my game is only multiplayer, there will be no single player, but you can start your own server and just go off without anyone.

13. DeadKenny

DeadKenny

I'm working towards an Alpha Demo with one fairly simple solar system with one planet to land on.

14. DeadKenny

DeadKenny

15. Whiteleaf

Whiteleaf

Okay cool!

16. DeadKenny

DeadKenny

ThilakshaEkanayakeBoosterandPartialTextruingPost.png Hey I replaced the booster/thruster effects on space suits. Final should be a better version of this. Also I began using a different method of texturing stuff. I am trying to keep it simple but have at least some part of the object with some drawn on detail. Also this new way is more efficient, because of less meterials. Hope it ends up looking how I imagine though.

Also I have been working on the zero G animations and getting some more stuff done fore the alpha demo.

17. Whiteleaf

Whiteleaf

18. DeadKenny

DeadKenny

Hey guys I just want give some more details about the game.

The space game play.
    The space ship in this game is your main vessel of transport, combat and pretty much everything else really(but you can play without it(if you are mad enough)). You will be able to upgrade/change weapons and also add extra parts on whichever ship allows it. Each ship comes as an empty base in which you can add onto these things. You also have the ability to leave your ship and fly around depending on if you have a space suit on or not. You can technically play the game entirely without a ship, just fling around in your suit and hitching a ride on other peoples ships. The main things you will be using your suit for is to explore space hulks and debris in search of treasure or maybe even a fight with some space creature. You will be able to shoot while in your suit so all hope is not lost if you have to eject in a dogfight.

19. DeadKenny

DeadKenny

Station size comparison and interior WIP. That tiny little white spot next to that tiny little ship is the player.

Interiors will also be partially procedural and so will the stations. This is a human outpost.
    ThilakshaEkanayakeSpaceStation02SIZEINTCOMP.png

20. DeadKenny

DeadKenny

Oh I forgot to mention that the stations can be destroyed. You save elsewhere.

21. DeadKenny

DeadKenny

Thruster effects(Those small flames coming out the front). Its not creating a particle each time but has one permanently there with a small effect script. It places thrust on the front middle or back of the ship.... rolling and forward reverse movement is also done via the engines you see on the sides(you can see the small thruster inlets in the engines too if you look close). (They are changeable too). So far its rather easy to lose control the ship if you don't pay attention, which is good for me but probably a bit too difficult as is. Also I am trying to get an automatic way of setting all the thruster points at start of scene or after you buy the ship or something like that. Its not essential though. ThilakshaEkanayakeSpaceThrusterEFFECT01.png

22. Whiteleaf

Whiteleaf

23. DeadKenny

DeadKenny

Thanks Silver Games. Now comes the hard part AI....

24. DeadKenny

DeadKenny

AI progress.... The weapons and engines will be randomized on AI also not only what you choose to buy.

This one is a drone, as with most AI. I actually would prefer if all the AI are robotic drones or monsters and all the humanoid players actual humans.

NB: Thats the hit effect of the pulse lazer from the enemy coming out the back of the players ship. I'll fix that later if its possible without killing the CPU.
    ThilakshaEkanayakeSpaceAIFight01.png

25. Whiteleaf

Whiteleaf

I'm really enjoying the updates. ;) Any release date for demo/webplayer?

26. DeadKenny

DeadKenny

Thanks and no, there is no date set but I have about 4 things left to do which are mostly more than 50% done.
    -Zero gravity player movement... 55% done.
    -AI drones combat with player: 52% done.
    -Station and station component control.(Basically more AI): 80% done
    -A few texture/Model updates: 25% done.

Once these 4 things are 100% + the core planet stuff, then demo will be ready... should be ready.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2014
  27. Whiteleaf

Whiteleaf

Okay cool! Really hyped! I was watching Halo 2 (probably the awesomest Halo I've seen, besides Halo Reach)and it reminded me of this somewhat a lot. ;) And that's good because I like games like the idea of Halo. I am planning to get Halo 2 when I have the money, it's only 20 USD, maybe if you wanted to try it. ;)

28. DeadKenny

DeadKenny

Hey, thanks man, glad you like it.

Halo? Its because of that players suit isn't it lol. I have actually never played any Halo game... I'd play it though, if I had time.

The only game I play now is War Thunder.

29. Whiteleaf

Whiteleaf

No! Not at all! Definitely not the suit, because it honestly looks nothing like it(which is good, because you might be sued for copyright)! xD

But rather the atmosphere and the terrain/gameplay from what I can see. Halo is set in a futuristic alien invasion, and here is an image of what the Spartans(that's what they're called in Halo):

That's the main character, Master Chief.

Anyways the Halo games are most definitely trying out/getting! Personally they are my favorite games; one reason is because they're space/futuristic-y, and because it isn't another modern day FPS every time they make one. *cough cough CALL OF DUTY cough cough*

But so well for now, as I am off to work some stuff out in Unity! Mostly messing around with the UI in 4.6, seeing what those bad-boys have under the hood. ;)

30. DeadKenny

DeadKenny

Tora, the planet for you to land on and then probably die really badly.... WIP.

ThilakshaEkanayakeSpaceZePlanet.png

31. Whiteleaf

Whiteleaf

Uh oh...looks cool. Tora is a nice name, too.

32. DeadKenny

DeadKenny

Thanks man, next comes the terrain on the planet. I had to replace the terrain from how I started initially. It would take too long and be unmanageable for one guy like me so its now partially procedural. It is not like No mans sky rather on a smaller scale, aka one level the size of Skyrims main map, maybe bigger(possibly a lot bigger, cant remember Skyrims size well lol), but obviously not so dense in population.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2014
  33. DeadKenny

DeadKenny

Ok so some more progress on the planet itself.

ThilakshaEkanayakeTRUCK01.png

34. Whiteleaf

Whiteleaf

Jeep looks awesome, do you model everything? Or do you have a team, or bought?

35. DeadKenny

DeadKenny

Yo, its all me at the moment. Its a truck though, not a jeep. :)

36. Whiteleaf

Whiteleaf

Oh. xD Sorry, it looked like a jeep to me. :p But that's cool! Since I am too young to join any company to help develop video games, people like you inspire me to make games on my own. ;)

37. DeadKenny

DeadKenny

Thanks man, well you have to sacrifice and risk a lot and then also have some luck on your side but I wish you luck. Follow your dreams man, thats what I am doing. Show no mercy.

I will hire people though if I can get it kick started.

Whiteleaf likes this.
  38. DeadKenny

DeadKenny

The Armory.... or better known as the shop lol. You can repair your vehicles and also buy stuff here. You can also do so on foot if you do not have a ride.

ThilakshaEkanayakeARmoryandTruck.png

39. Whiteleaf

Whiteleaf

I really like the art style and model style of this game, keep it up!

40. DeadKenny

DeadKenny

Thanks man, you think those wheels are too thick? So fat lol.

41. Whiteleaf

Whiteleaf

To me it doesn't, considering the truck is so big it actually fits quite well!

TheFurryDev likes this.
  42. TheFurryDev

TheFurryDev

This looks great! Keep up the good work! ;)

43. Serinx

Serinx

Hey this looks really interesting.

I have 1 suggestion (not sure if you already added this or I missed it), have limited oxygen, this would add a unique mechanic to survival and multiplayer, oxygen tanks could be like some rare resource, obviously without it you would die.

Robbing another players oxygen cache and watching them return to their base after a long hike to find their oxygen tanks have been stolen and suffocate would be quite entertaining (yes i'm a bid of a sadist in the gaming world).

Then you could open up possibilities like growing plants that produce oxygen etc :)

Keep at it! Good luck!

44. DeadKenny

DeadKenny

Thanks.

Yeah there is a oxygen system that I started on at the very beginning of development. However it won't be sadist like food in DayZ, you only need a suit to deal with it. I will only go as far as making it leak out the suit or something. Constantly refilling oxygen and making it important will take away from the game.

45. Whiteleaf

Whiteleaf

Maybe after you get damaged enough your armor durability can go down? Like, show the durability next to your health of something. Then when you get hit it goes down a certain number. When it gets below 50 it starts to very-extremely slowly release oxygen out of it. When it degrades less(while below 50), it slowly starts to rise up. Making it very crucial to repair it and check the durability ever now and then.

46. DeadKenny

DeadKenny

Not sure yet, I don't want it to get too complicated. So far there is armor and health for the player and when in vehicles/ships, the armor becomes shields and the health becomes armor.

Have not begun weapons testing yet. I need to get the shops and vehicle/weapon creator working first.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2014
    Whiteleaf likes this.
  47. DeadKenny

DeadKenny

Ok so the somewhat more reworked models and new texturing of the first set of cars for the gameplay video and demo. These are WIP, so don't be too bothered by the messy-ness. Working on all at once pretty much... about 8 or so vehicles will available in the demo. No tanks and hover though, but I will make one or two for the video.

Remember that you will be able to replace(sell and buy new) turrets for your vehicles same as spaceships. ThilakshaEkanayakeToraCarsPIC.png

48. Whiteleaf

Whiteleaf

Model looks neat. Jut wondering, are you using Unity Pro or Unity Free? The lighting and the shadows look very high quality. But like literally, I don't even think Unity Free can do that. xD Are you using a custom shaders/shadows add-on? perhaps?

49. Whiteleaf

Whiteleaf

I also am oblivious to the fact that I'm the only one paying attention to this thread; this game is incredible! It's an original idea, looks good, modelling AND texturing is perfect. Definitely one of the best games I've seen in WIP so far.

50. DeadKenny

DeadKenny

Hey thanks man :). I'm sure(hope?) others will come soon... and yes its unity Pro.