Search Unity

ok 4.6 beta is out so where are the updates

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by im, Aug 30, 2014.

1. im

im

any plans to provide access to daily/weekly builds or 4.6 beta off main page it :(

the regular release getting weekly builds so i think it would be good idea to do same for 4.6 beta and even 5.0 beta when it comes out in 4-8 weeks

here is what i mean by weekly patches to regular release
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/unity-patch-releases.246198/

would be nice if 4.6/5.0 get the same treatment

2. Archania

Archania

3. JasonBricco

JasonBricco

And it does say on the beta 18 that it will be receiving weekly bug fix updates.

4. Demigiant

Demigiant

Weekly bug fix updates? I was hoping the beta would become a final soon so no weekly beta updates would be needed :( Hope we're not seeing a new idea of "early access" in Unity, which might just mean beta for ages. Okok I'll stop complaining and see what happens.

5. orb

orb

It could mean 4-6 more updates, then the GUI is "finished", and 5.0 betas start flowing :)

The one update I'm waiting for is a beta webplayer that anyone can install. Or 5.0, of course. I'd like to continue showing off simple prototypes via the web :)

6. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

imo a game engine should be in a constant state of updating flux with the idea of final and beta releases entirely removed. Because its absurd. Because there are *always* bugs. No matter what. The key here is to shift public perception from oooh I've got the finished version to "we're using 4.7.2b as that's stable for our game and have no reason to update". Like you know, AAA and professional developers.

JasonBricco likes this.
  7. Demigiant

Demigiant

Well kind of. A beta usually means regular bugs * 100 plus devs knowing they're releasing a probably unstable version, versus a final where at least the main core is innocent until proven guilty. Also, in a beta bugs happen by doing common stuff, while in a final bugs happen (in theory) only when doing peculiar stuff. And blahblahblah.

8. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

Uh, they've been doing the weekly bug fix updates ever since 4.5 went final.

9. wccrawford

wccrawford

If you want to use the final, wait for the final. Beta is for those who want to preview the features and help make them as bug-free as possible. There's no sense in complaining about there being bugs in something that's clearly labeled as having them.

10. Demigiant

Demigiant

I know. My point was "oohhh it seems we're preparing for a long beta". But as I mentioned I'll shut up and see what happens because I might be completely wrong.

No one is complaining about bugs here, unless I missed something.

11. superpig

superpig

Yeah I don't see how 'we're going to put out a new build every week' is indicative of beta length at all - my point is that they're going to be doing that even once it's gone final, it's not like weekly builds is a beta-specific thing.

12. Ippokratis

Ippokratis

I believe that weekly updates are great.
    Weekly delta updates will be greater.

Graham-Dunnett likes this.
  13. Demigiant

Demigiant

You're right. It's that we're talking about, you know, the new GUI that we're waiting since Unity 4 was out, so I tend to be pessimist even if maybe for no reasons :p

14. superpig

superpig

The UI is all in separate assemblies to the rest of the engine, so hopefully they'll be able to make that happen fairly easily :)

15. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I demand nightly builds and my throne to be carried aloft by Aras and Rej! I demand grapes, fed fresh from the vine by helgason himself wearing nothing except a cheeky and revealing toga. OH! and the moon on a stick would be nice. But not enough, no. I want two moons on two golden embroidered sticks.

That'll do for starters. Aurore can be my personal chef. Actually scratch that! she'd spitefully poison me and take my place, or serve me pie with a brick in it.

In short I think Unity's doing a pretty great job so far, we don't need to jump up and down and demand more before they've gotten 5 out, or at least focus on GUI and 5 stuff as it's kind of important :)

NomadKing likes this.
  16. Archania

Archania

Does helgason toga come with a very high collar? cause if not.. then you have it wrong!

17. goat

goat

Bookmark the download page for Beta 4.6. It likely will follow the weekly patch release schedule of 4.5.x. I'd expect 3 - 6 months of patches & bug fixes for 4.6 before release and then 3 - 6 months of patch releases for 5.0 Public Beta before release. I'm saying this with no affiliation with Unity 3D or knowledge of their product plans.

18. im

im

wow thank you (love the latest and greatest)

19. Aurore

Aurore

Director of Real-Time Learning

angrypenguin likes this.
  20. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

My sustained engineering team make patches for released versions. The 4.6 beta will be updated, possibly weekly, until it's complete by the regular dev team, at which point there will be one of more release candidates, followed by a final release. Once that 4.6.0f-something has been shipped, we'll start doing patches for it.

angrypenguin and Demigiant like this.
  21. im

im

Hey Aurore / Graham thanks for dropping by and for explaining things!

By the Graham the weekly releases that you'all have been doing for some time are very much appreciated!

Last edited: Sep 3, 2014
    Aurore and Graham-Dunnett like this.
  22. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

While I agree with the sentiment and how people should be using the builds in practice, I see no reason to remove [the labels from] the various QA phases, and some significant potential downsides. Just because something is labelled "beta" doesn't mean you can't use it, it just means that the people making it aren't satisfied with the quality level yet and think they have more work or validation to do before they're confident in telling people it's finished. I think that having that distinction is pretty valuable.

I agree that people should a) understand what it actually means and b) not get hung up in general* over always running the latest solely because it's the latest.

* A beta is a bit different. There's no point in a beta if people are reporting bugs on old versions. In fact, that'd make it harder to find new bugs because it lowers the quality of incoming information.