Search Unity

[Official] Unity for Apple TV open beta

Discussion in 'iOS and tvOS' started by Mantas-Puida, Dec 2, 2015.

1. Mantas-Puida

Mantas-Puida

At the moment it's not supported on tvOS.

2. Mantas-Puida

Mantas-Puida

Please bugreport it.

ableRex_358 likes this.
  3. atmuc

atmuc

How can i detect that menu button is pressed? i want to use as back button in a game not in the root menu screen.

4. tanico

tanico

It looks like the errors in the .mm files are happening with the physical device with the official 7.2 release of Xcode. Is there an updated version of Unity available by any chance?

5. eshan-mathur

eshan-mathur

I'm getting UNET errors the moment I switch the build target to tvOS inside Unity. Does anyone know how to work around this?

6. blockimperium

blockimperium

I've had my fair share of weaver issues when it came to the uNet stuff. File a bug report. Hopefully it will be fixed whenever the next version comes out.

7. Nseries

Nseries

Hi. I have a problem with Social.ReportScore. Does it work?
    The callback didn't coming at all. I can load leaderboards but I cant post scores to this one.

Added
    I wrote my own plugin and now it works. But Social class still not working.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2015
  8. robertwahler

robertwahler

Unity seems to be rendering at 1080p even though my tvOS device is connected to a 1920x1200 monitor and tvOS is properly configured for 1920x1200. Is this a bug or is there something I'm missing that you don't have to do on iOS?

9. Mantas-Puida

Mantas-Puida

I believe it's a feature of tvOS, it's always rendering 1080p internally and then scaling to resolution of TV.

10. Mantas-Puida

Mantas-Puida

blockimperium likes this.
  11. blockimperium

blockimperium

Awesome. But should we continue to post to this thread or some other location?

12. Mantas-Puida

Mantas-Puida

It's fine to continue posting here.

13. Spabbage

Spabbage

The only local persistent storage on TVOS is NSUserDefaults.

Does PlayerPrefs wrap NSUserDefaults on TVOS? If not, what is the standard method of persistent storage via Unity for this platform?

14. ajgr

ajgr

So all our projects basically crash the simulator at the same spot (s.b.). Is this a known issue in UT 5.3.1 or am I doing something wrong?

Attached Files:

15. ajgr

ajgr

OK - found out that there is a new release 5.3.1.p1. Its builds can actually run on simulator / device. I had the 5.3.1f1 version before which will crash on both. Yeah :]

16. marty

marty

Hey, Mantas. Have you guys put together a tvOS workflow yet - all the way from Editor to testing on the aTV?

Since a lot of tvOS games will probably begin their lives as completed iOS projects, it might also be nice to consider putting together something specifically documenting the process from a "So You've Got a Finished iOS Game" perspective.

17. marty

marty

Is there an ETA on Siri Remote support in the Editor, a'la the iOS and Android Remote apps?

MrEsquire likes this.
  18. greggtwep16

greggtwep16

Mantas has said in the past that it is on their internal roadmap but it was not going to be a part of this initial release. My asset below in my signature does have in editor emulation of the siri remote (buttons/touchpad) with mouse/keyboard. It's obviously not the same thing, but for now it's as close as it gets.

19. marty

marty

I remember him mentioning that during the closed beta and was hopeful that there might be an update. It's something I'm sure I'm not alone in holding my breath for. ;-)

Last edited: Dec 27, 2015
  20. ableRex_358

ableRex_358

I ran into this today. But this happened in iOS iPhone6 and on the simulator. This code worked without any problems the last time I had highscores switched to use the Game Center instead of own server. Now that I was implementing achievements, I thought I had broken something by copying code from HighScores implementation. After starting a new Unity project with just the original Highscores code I noticed it suffers from this same problem. In my case "DidLoadProfiles" never starts and highscores list only has the numbers but no player names.

Debug.Log("InDidLoadScores,justbeforecallingSocial.LoadUsers");
    Social.LoadUsers(userIDs, DidLoadProfiles); //I guess this is where the names are loaded
    Debug.Log("InDidLoadScores,justaftercallingSocial.LoadUsers,didloadprofilesshouldstartfromSocial.LoadUsersargument");

Xcode 7.2 (7C68) and Unity 5.3.1p1

21. Amir-Ward

Amir-Ward

Social.LoadUsers is broken for me too. There is no callback on iPhone6, seems to work fine on iPad. I have 2 games waiting for this bug to be fixed before I can submit to store. I've submitted a bug report also, hopefully this is fixed in the next patch :S

22. Borissow

Borissow

Lightprobes with Assetbundles are still not working in the Unity 5.3.1p build.
    @Mantas Puida do you have an ETA for this bug? Is someone looking into it?
    I submitted a test bug report way back in the closed beta period ( Case 754646 )
    Please, this is a real game breaking bug, without lightprobes we cannot launch our game

MrEsquire likes this.
  23. ableRex_358

ableRex_358

It is amazing how so little functionality as storing high scores and achievements in cloud can be so much trouble in this day and age if you want to use the official Google and Apple services. It is basic functionality that almost every game on the platforms wants to offer. I even updated to new Mac Book Pro when I discovered that Game Center needs to be debugged in the Simulator and my old Mac was from 2010. I took a short detour into Google Play and was horrified that the amount of kitchen sink-stuff you have to bolt on to get it to work with Social. The amount of source code was bigger than all the other code in my project (it had a lot of stuff for everything except the job at hand). At the same time just using your own server mysql/PHP works easily with minimal complication. Though I am not sure how much the folks at Unity can do about this when Apple and Google have their own agendas. Still a universal Unity-standard asset for storing highscores and achievements in Unity cloud with tie-ins to both Apple and Google back-ends would be really nice for almost everybody. Even without the back-end tie-ins it would reduce the workloads a lot.

24. Thorny2000

Thorny2000

I am setting UnityEngine.Apple.TV.Remote.touchesEnabled to true in order to stop Unity reading the remote and use my own native tvOS code. As it says in the docs here: http://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/Apple.TV.Remote-touchesEnabled.html
    "Disables Apple TV Remote touch propagation to Unity Input.touches API".

But it has no effect, the Siri Remote data is still coming into the Inputs. Is this a bug or am I just wrong and this doesn't do what I think it does?

End of the day it doesn't really matter as I am reading the remote in my own code too, just would be nice to be able to tell Unity to stop reading it to save those cycles.

25. blockimperium

blockimperium

Anyone gotten uNet to work properly on the platform? Should it be working properly?

26. efge

efge

I am always getting a MissingMethodException when setting one of the UnityEngine.Apple.TV.Remote variables.
    (tvOS module downloaded and able to build on device)

What am I missing?

27. Thorny2000

Thorny2000

Do this:
    #if !UNITY_EDITOR_WIN && !UNITY_EDITOR_OSX
    UnityEngine.Apple.TV.Remote.xxx = xxx;
    #endif

You can only access the variables running on the device and not in the editor.

28. efge

efge

Thanks @GMT ! Got it working ...

Last edited: Jan 7, 2016
  29. HojjatJafary

HojjatJafary

Hi,
    Is there any way to use the volume up/down button on the remote controller as gameplay inputs?

30. greggtwep16

greggtwep16

No there isn't. Apple only allows using the touchpad click, play/pause button, and menu button (although they have guidelines on how this must be used).

The other buttons are reserved for Apple.

31. eshan-mathur

eshan-mathur

I've put appropriate images in all of the tvOS icon/launch images slots, but my exported archive keeps getting rejected by Xcode because it can't find a top shelf image in the Assets.car.

My top shelf image in particular has two layers. The bug goes away if I reduce it down to only one layer. I'll report it, but I just wanted to make it known here as well.

32. Wriggler

Wriggler

Hi Mantas, thank you for all your hard work in getting tvOS up and running. Regarding the IAP integration, is this something that is actively being worked on? Any idea on when it might ship? I don't mean to be "that guy" in asking, but this is currently holding us up from shipping our title on tvOS. Given that it's pretty much the exact same code as iOS I was hoping for feature parity between iOS and tvOS pretty soon...

Thanks again,

Ben

33. Wriggler

Wriggler

I've actually received a response to this in another thread. Answer: IAP and Analytics for tvOS is planned to ship as part of 5.4. http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/tvos-support.379172/

Ben

34. Sir-Thorgeir

Sir-Thorgeir

Dose anyone know if there is an #if UNITY_TVOS platform definition?

I think the documentation is out updated.

35. greggtwep16

greggtwep16

That define does exist for the Apple TV. I use it in Easy Input Helper and have had no issues.

36. peterahou

peterahou

Is that a limitation of the hardware/ SDK or are you working on adding this missing rotation axis later?

37. greggtwep16

greggtwep16

That's a limitation of the hardware on the siri remote. There is no magnometer on the remote which is what phones/tablets use to determine rotation around the axis parallel with gravity.

peterahou likes this.
  38. SAB-LAB

SAB-LAB

Also have problem with showing GameCenter on tvOS. Always showing "No score" . It seems Social.ReportScore does not work. We have sent requests with valid GameCenter ids but the callback has never invoked.
    Does anybody faced with such problem ?

39. ysalmi

ysalmi

Hello,
    does anyone know if it is possible to test the Apple TV remote controller in the Unity Editor. I can pair my Apple remote controller with the macbook but it is not recognized in the Unity Editor.

40. greggtwep16

greggtwep16

No Unity does not support that at this time. They have mentioned that down the road they do hope to add it but currently, while the siri remote can pair with the Mac, it won't work for Unity apps in the editor or in the simulator.

My asset linked in my signature does emulate siri remote/mfi controller input with the mouse/keyboard in editor and for now this is as close as you can get since the siri remote does not have Unity support on the Mac. Hopefully, they will add it soon.

theQ and ysalmi like this.
  41. SAB-LAB

SAB-LAB

Hi!
    Did you solve this problem ?
    I have this problem too, cant figure out why Social.ReportScore does not work.

42. manny003

manny003

Trying to compile my first tvOS app and I get this:

ld: framework not found Social
    clang: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)

Problem is, I have the Social Framework linked (tried as both required and Optional).

I'm no Xcode or Objective C expert -- which is why I use Unity. :)

Any advice?

Manny

43. TenderPaw

TenderPaw

Hi is there a way to test the buttons of the siri remote simulator? So far I was able to make Input.touches work on the simulator.

44. theQ

theQ

Movies? I'm trying to get my animated logo to play (.MOV) but not working. I've tried the iOS fallback of Handheld.PlayFullScreeMovie and it doesn't work. If you try to use a MovieTexture, that gets bumped as well.

How are others getting around this?

45. ratmat2002

ratmat2002

Try using Easy Input Helper from the Unity App Store. It's working well for me.

46. ratmat2002

ratmat2002

The tvOS Build Support module in Unity 5.3.2p3 on Mac is displaying an MD5 verification error when trying to install from the download assistant. Can I get a working version of the latest Build Support file somewhere?

Attached Files:

47. AVOlight

AVOlight

same here, please :)

48. yakandco

yakandco

MrEsquire likes this.
  49. atmuc

atmuc

@mantas, Will surround sound be supported soon?

50. Thorny2000

Thorny2000

Social framework isn't available for tvOS - no Faceboook/Twitter/etc.