Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[Official] Request for Unity OS X standalone platform feedback

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Vilmantas, Jan 8, 2015.

1. Vilmantas

Vilmantas

Unity Technologies

Hi all!

We would like to hear your thoughts about our Unity OS X standalone platform i.e. Unity OS X player. Please take a moment to answer the following questions to help us make Unity OS X standalone player the best it can be. We want to get more context for your feedback, so please also answer the questions about who you are, what games you make targeting this platform. Please talk about things which are specific to this platform: it could be some issues specific to this platform, some features missing in OS X standalone player and even some functionality needed in Unity editor related to Unity OS X standalone player.

The intent is to use this information for our future roadmap planning.

Who are you?

What kind of game are you trying to build or would like to build?

How does OS X standalone player fit into that? What use-cases do you have?

What are the GOOD things about OS X standalone player that you like?

What are the BAD things about OS X standalone player that you dislike?

How can we make it BETTER? What use-cases, features, workflows would like to see?

Thanks for your time providing this feedback and helping us to improve Unity.

Vilmantas

2. steego

steego

*cough* OpenGL 4 *cough*

3. Vilmantas

Vilmantas

Unity Technologies

Hey,

ok, Open GL 4 +1. So who are you ? What games do you make ? What specific Open GL 4 features you would use ? Can you answer the questions i posted above ?

Kind regards,
    Vilmantas

4. steego

steego

Okay okay I'll do the questions

Who are you?
    Part of a two man team making indie games, as well as doing some contract work.

Currently, for standalone, a RPG and a city builder

Multi platform is one of Unitys strengths as I see it, when releasing for desktop we'll always want to release for all desktop platforms, Win/OSX/Linux. So feature parity for all desktop platforms is important to us.

Fast and easy building, neatly packaged in a ".app" for distribution.

Nothing special about the OSX standalone, but for standalone in general, input rebinding and graphics options are cumbersome to do.

How can we make it BETTER? What use-cases, features, workflows would like to see?

* New input system with better remapping support
    * Feature parity with DX11 for OSX and Linux

What specific Open GL 4 features you would use?
    Compute and tesselation shaders

5. goat

goat

I have the same uses as my post in the Windows Standalone thread but altered to be appropriate for the Mac platform.

6. Ferazel

Ferazel

Who are you?
    Indie dev who has worked on released Mac App Store apps in the past.

Small simple 2D and some 3D games that are highly portable from mobile to desktop.

We would like to target the OSX player as a 1st-tier platform for all of my apps.

I like that it generally works pretty well out of the box. It seems to function properly in terms of code porting and graphical displays. I like that there are full screen option setting. I like the no fuss configuration dialog concept.

The process to make a Mac app store version of the app is convoluted.
    No good way to properly brand or change the functionality of the the setup dialog.
    No way to change/add command functions to the menu bar.
    There are problems with command-tab working properly in Fullscreen window. (A popular Hearthstone issue)
    The icons generated by Unity doesn't do a visually correct sin3 resize of the icon texture. It produces aliasing artifacts on the icons as they are shrunk from the default icon source. (this is a problem on all platforms).
    Editing the info.plist can be annoying every export.
    The size of the export is pretty large in comparison to some of the other platforms.
    Unity projects tend to have problems with Steam's content delivery app.
    The export size of the app is relatively large compared to the overhead associated with iOS for example. Could we also get some stripping options for OS X as well?

A big help would be to get an XCode export of the project as an option that could append/replace similar to the iOS deployment platform. This would allow us to code sign and sandbox using Apple documented XCode processes. As part of this give us the .xib for the configuration dialog as well as the menu bar so that we can create custom handling of these? This would also include the ability to alter the plist file via XCode.

With the state of most Mac OS and computing, I feel that you could drop the 32-bit app from the export options.

Work with Valve to make sure that the app goes through their ContentPrep.app without any tweaks or modifications.

Fix the automatic icon generation so that the texture can be resized without artifacts automatically without the need to set the sizes manually for every platform.

Improve the fullscreen functionality so that command-tab works properly in fullscreen window without using the fullscreen with dock and menubar?

If I think of more, I will edit this post.

EDIT1: After working on another project that is primarily PC/Mac/Linux standalone I have some additional suggestions/wishlist items.

Better retina/hDPI screen support as well as general runtime fullscreen display options. Currently, the capture full-screen display mode is the only display mode that recognizes high-dpi screens. Unfortunately, this comes with some side effects that users tend not to like (such as not working well with Command+Tab or blanking out their second monitor). Other fullscreen options do not recognize the OS's scale property and will only display the windows as 1440x900 instead of the 2880x1800 that it should allow the users to display. Also, having this as a build setting is really poor as users may want one functionality or another, and we can't give them both options because it is a build setting on the player. Having a runtime option for screen display mode would be excellent, allowing users to pick the best option for their machine and purposes. Something like Windowed, Borderless Window, Fullscreen (Capture), Fullscreen (Windowed). The problem is that with fullscreen windowed, I do not want the dock or menu bar to display at all, but others may want that functionality, so having runtime APIs to enable/disable these functions would also be ideal.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2015
    J_P_ and superpig like this.
  7. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

That already exists: Contents/Resources/ScreenSelector.nib.

--Eric

8. any_user

any_user

Who are you?

Indie developer. Some games I made/worked on : Krautscape, Plug & Play, Drei. Normally working on a Mac.

Mostly small, sometimes experimental games for different platforms (standalone, mobile, web).

We use OSX standalone builds for gameplay testing and if a game should be released on Steam.

- Just works
    - good performance in general
    - fast export

- Many fullscreen bugs since 4.5. External hdmi screens on mac don't work properly (636309, 610129) and the native resolution is not always used for fullscreen (if set in player settings).
    - Bad Game controller support, platform differences. This is a problem on all Standalone platforms.
    - ugly icon downsampling (this also applies to Windows Player)
    - Steam integration/publishing could be easier.

I'm pretty happy with it, but I'd love to see the old bugs & problems mentioned above fixed.
    A nice thing would be if it was easier to publish builds for steam, which is our main use case for standalone builds. Ideally we'd have an option to build standalone builds for all platforms on cloud build and push it directly to steam.

9. Kronnect

Kronnect

Who are you?
    Recently founded development house, focused on utility software. Long history in software development although newbie in Unity.

Visualization tools.

We want to differentiate from others solutions thanks to the multiplatform capability of Unity and OS X is one of the platforms we want to support.

Simplicity.

Not sure why, but it seems I cannot customize the menu bar associated with the app. For instante, I cannot substitute the About window, to include copyright and license info from my end. It shows up Unity Player logo (?)

Allow to customise the Mac menu bar both from design and runtime. Allow to link Mac top menu bar commands with UIBehaviour through delegates or listeners for instance.
    Still trying out though. Will get back to this forum after our first release.

10. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

You can, by editing the MainMenu.nib resource. (Note that you're not allowed to remove the existing copyright info though.)

--Eric

11. Kronnect

Kronnect

Thanks Eric. I think there should be some guidance on this, not just for the technical how-to, but also for legal. For instance, can I replace the UnityPlayer logo with my app logo? And in this direction, what else could be altered?
    It would be great if Unity UI allowed us to customize the metadata for this screen (player settings) so this gets included alongside other copyright stuff.

12. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

As far as I know you can't replace anything, only add to what's already there.

--Eric

13. jashan

jashan

Founder of narayana games which currently is a one man indie game dev studio that has a few assets on the asset store (Editor Extensions) and several games and applications in development (and some contract work completed).

Multiplayer lightcycles-style games, puzzle games, 2D games, RPGs ... and non-game applications (built with Unity).

It happens to be the platform why I chose Unity in first place (back then, there were a few available that only targeted Windows). I was really upset that you stopped supporting Dashboard widgets a while back ... but I guess Dashboard widgets aren't really that hot anymore.

Not sure what exactly a "use case" for a platform is supposed to be but ... Mac App Store and Steam are definitely the primary target markets for Mac OS X standalone builds, so this should be supported really well. Aside of that: It should work, and it should work very similar to Windows and Linux and as much as possible similar to mobile devices / consoles. As I'm developing on the Mac, this is particularly important because every issue I only find out when testing on Linux/Windows costs me a lot of time.

That it works? That I can do builds?

The startup screen we have on Windows, Mac OS and Linux always seemed a little odd, so I usually disable that one. This, however, leads to users not being able to set up input ... which leads to one of the biggest issues with Unity: You need to fix the InputManager. That's obviously not specific for OS X standalones but really the worst thing about desktop standalones IMHO.

I haven't recently tried pushing things built with Unity on the Mac App Store or Steam - but that's the one thing where I feel there might be trouble. Aside of that, of course, getting the best out of available hardware and drivers / graphics libraries is always welcome (but I'm not really pushing those limits). Oh, and support for VR devices like the Oculus Rift is really important - so I'm very much looking forward to that build target once it hits Unity 5.x. Ideally, I'd like to be able to create an OS X standalone build that can either run without a VR HMD, or with various different VR HMDs (whichever are available at the time).

14. staraffinity

staraffinity

I'm not a Unity developer yet (trying to become, though – doing tutorials), but I came here only to share muy frustration about this issue as an occasional Hearthstone player. This ”not being able to command-tab” out of fullscreen is really frustrating in the OS X version of Hearthstone. It has been like this for too long.

A Blizzard employee writes:

Depending on the version of Mac OS that you're running, the Unity engine (that Hearthstone is built on) doesn't have functionality for a full-screen Command+Tab on a Mac. While our Mac Team has looked at many possible angles for making this happen, it's a limitation that can't be overcome until Unity provides an engine-update that makes this possible.

http://us.battle.net/hearthstone/en/forum/topic/14277127669#5

More angry users here: :)

http://us.battle.net/hearthstone/en/search?q=cmd tab&f=post&forum=10881288

The funny/interesting thing is that the issue can be ”cured” (until the game is restarted) if doing the ”hit or miss” workaround I've posted here: http://eu.battle.net/hearthstone/en/forum/topic/9952096067#12

In other words this taken from the Unity Documentaion isn't correct:

”On OS X 10.7 and newer, it is possible to switch to other Applications using trackpad swipes or Cmd-Tab.”

http://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/MacFullscreenMode.FullscreenWindow.html

At least not for the game Hearthstone.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2015
  15. Zwilnik

Zwilnik

Who are you?

Aaron Fothergill, Lead Coder and CEO of Strange Flavour Ltd. Long time Mac and iOS games developers.

All sorts, but typically small but beautiful arcade games.

We've switched to Unity to start doing OS X games based on our iOS games. We've got one game (Fast Fishing) in submission to the Mac App Store with all sorts of Unity based problems being wrangled and another (Tiny TrackZ) in development.

It's fairly simple to take the iOS version of our project and add to it for the OS X version. Runs pretty well across various machines. Fairly quick to develop.

Actual build process for the Mac App Store is abysmal. As Unity doesn't expose bundle ID, signing, entitlements etc. we have to do all those post build manually and the Mac App Store submission and entitlements process is geared around using Xcode which handles those automatically.

There isn't a separate OS X platform thread in the forums, so finding help on any OS X standalone issues is really tricky.

The About box for the game isn't customisable in Unity. If we're paying for a pro license, we should be able to replace this with an About box for the game, not Unity Player.

Either make OS X Builds go via Xcode for final build (like iOS) so permissions, entitlements etc. can be properly set up or add in the full sequence of selectors for them that Xcode has. I'd love to simply be able to set up my bundle ID, dev and distribution certificates, entitlements etc. in Unity the same as in Xcode and make a packaged build ready to submit to the Mac App Store.

Add an OS X Platform thread to the forums :)

Make the About Box in the OS X Player able to be customised/replaced.

16. Zwilnik

Zwilnik

Oh and one more request. Stop being 'democratic' in allocating resources for fixing bugs. I noticed that bug fixes are prioritised based on how many users vote for them. Problem is that means the platforms that don't have as many active users on the forums never get bugs fixed, however bad the bugs are. Also it tends towards bugs that are popular with the mass of inexperienced developers getting higher importance. (Prioritising bug reports from Pro users is a good start there).

*You're* supposed to be the experts in your code. You decide what needs fixing!

17. ai_enabled

ai_enabled

I'm the lead developer in AtomicTorch Studio, our current project is VoidExpanse (~1.5 years of development, release is coming soon).
    I have only one request - please add correct Retina/HiDPI display handling, as currently HiDPI resolution is supported only in fullscreen mode, but publishing game in this mode is a real pain as it disallow switching to other applications (so user can't switch to firewall window and allow a network connection for the game).
    Regards!

User340 and Zwilnik like this.
  18. Zwilnik

Zwilnik

It also blocks using Game Centre and StoreKit windows so you have to avoid capturing the display if you need any overlaid windows.

19. mradfo21

mradfo21

1. Matt Radford, Visual Effects Artist Naughty Dog
    2. Squad Based RTS
    3. I develop on a mac, I use a mac, i play games on my mac. I do not own a windows machine. It is currently my only target market
    4. that it exists
    5. i dislike the weird options screen that comes up letting you map keys and resolution.. that has to become customizable in alot of ways.

6. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let us access several of the currently DX-11 features on OSX. Personally I require compute shaders and 3d Render Textures. My area at work is volumetric rendering and i'm dying to try and experiment with new things for my project at home with unity. But its terrible to not get access to this stuff just because i'm on OSX. I spend all day on windows and hate it. I know it sounds amateurish to just love OSX but in 2015 with Macbook Pros as saturated as they are its ridiculous to not be able to use OpenGL's newer features. But I'm not the expert you guys are. I'm sure you have compatibility reasons here... but don't shaft ALL OSXusers. Why not an option (DX-11 and OSX 10.7+) ?

This is what i really need

http://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/RenderTexture-isVolume.html

pleaaaasseee please pleaseeeeee

Zwilnik likes this.
  20. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

Who are you?
    Solo indie developer, working on various projects but trying to focus on one game at the moment.

Mainly 2d at the moment but maybe 3d in future. I have a puzzle platformer and a shootemup in progress, but also have some other interesting projects in testing phases such as 2d terrain-based games and

I work on a mac, love mac, will build and distribute for mac. I guess maybe steam is the best outlet for that, or my own website. The relatively limited amount of games available for mac I see as an opening in the market.

It works. Can quit easily with Command-Q. Resolutions work. Seems fast.

Mostly it seems kind of invisible, I mean, you build and it runs... how it should be...

I would definitely like to see support for at least some kind of geometry shaders, DX10 or whatever, SOMETHING! OpenGL 3 or 4 or whatever is needed. Surely mac is capable of this by now? Some kind of compute shaders would be cool but not sure what the support is like.

I would also like that the windows and mac and linux players be able to be built to a screensaver... you know, one that actually works without all kinds of hacks and stuff... supports the proper 64-bit interface... lets you have a menu for settings, shows a proper preview that works with the operating system's interface... launches automatically... easy to install.. and works with whatever 'theme' system the platform has, like windows has this whole thing about bundling screensaver + resolution + other settings as a theme etc, without creating whole new theme just because you chose to use the saver. So you can just say 'build to screensaver', choose mac (or windows/linux), and whatever is build can be a proper screensaver that runs with all the proper features and integration. I know Unity can already be embedded into a window with HWND on windows.. that's only a small part of it. I made a pretty sophisticated asset for the asset store to do all of this but it was so hacky, getting it to support window's complexity was difficult, and making it work with themes was difficult, so I axed it.

Ryuuguu likes this.
  21. mradfo21

mradfo21

The screensaver thing is a great idea!

22. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

Its probably unlikely though, as most people seem to consider screensavers to be kind of something `people don't do` any more... that said there are some sites out there making decent money from 3d savers... it could open up a new market I guess... but not a big one. Probably not big enough for Unity to bother I would imagine? But IF they did, it'd be cool for some of us... I like creating just artistic graphic effects for their own sake, which screensavers are great to showcase.

23. mradfo21

mradfo21

Just wait for IOS screensavers to hit and there'll be a gold rush.

24. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

lol, pity that most people just switch their phone off and shove it in their pocket when they're not looking at it.

25. mradfo21

mradfo21

Is there any chance someone from Unity Technologies could actually comment on the future of the OSX stand alone player? This thread was started in January, i'm wondering what the roadmap is ?

26. Bradamante

Bradamante

Who are you?

Solo developer, some related content providers (textures, illustrations, story writing).

Besides my not-yet-revealed game project I do architectural visualization (Arch Viz). The models I get from architects are usually horrible, exports from Graphisoft ArchiCAD. Horrible geometry. If I have not enough time, I work with these models directly, horrible visuals (lighting shot to hell) and horrible performance are the result. If I have more time, I pay someone to recreate the model in Cinema 4D or whatever. In this case, the experience is more pleasant.

Basically all the architects I have ever met use Macs and Macs only. Good news is that these are often high end. High end MacBookPros, high end iMacs. Giant screens. When I demo my work to clients, the projects will run on these machines.

During public demonstrations the demo might run on Macs, sometimes Windows. If I can I let them run on Windows, especially in front of large audiences.

That it exists. It's good that there's some solution out there that does have Mac support and let's me put stuff through the approval process of the MAS or Steam.

Not related to the Player specifically, but the PBR features of U5 help a lot for Arch Viz. Also the Editor is faster, model import for example.

1a. Performance. It's horrible. On my machine I dual-boot Windows/Mac. Same projects, same hardware, under Windows 8 I get 50-100% more FPS than under Mac OS X.9 (X.8 before that).

The clients often have 27" screens, so I am running at 2560x1440. On projectors I often run 720p or 1080p. I am VERY worried about performance on VR headsets, which I plan to provide to clients as soon as I can get my hands on one.

I know that this is mostly an Apple issue. Driver quality. But still, please do what you can here.

1b. Performance for Enlighten. Until now I have only tested one project with U5. It was my last 4.6.3 project. I did not do an import. Instead I recreated the whole project in U5, so that can't be it. Problem is, the model came directly from ArchiCAD (3ds export).

Enlighten takes forever, as soon as you mark the whole geometry as static. Bake is about 12 hours (i5-3570K). After it finished I did an export. Build size went from 600+ MB to 1+ GB. Don't know it that's normal.

2. The setup screen. Functional, but looks horrid. Visual improvements might be in order.

3. The Editor (yes I know, not the topic here) has improved a lot with U5. Under 4.6.3 the Editor was slow, crashed a lot.

4. Retina support. I don't care for Retina support in the Editor, but I do about the player. It has been discussed to death here on the forums. Afaik the only way to get it is Capture Display mode, but then you lose too much functionality (overlays for example).

5. There are fullscreen device problems like this.

Performance mostly.

Workflows. It's a shame that third party software that is basically a requirement with U5 is only available for Windows. Substance Designer has a Mac version, but not the Quixel Suite. I hit the latter multiple e-mails over the past few months and always got promises only. Another example is the standalone server for Tasharen's TNet. Windows only.

If I had a say in the matter I'D force Asset Store providers to support Win and Mac in everything they do, no matter what.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2015
    Zwilnik likes this.
  27. Zwilnik

Zwilnik

Post WWDC keynote an obvious feature is Metal of course (although with Unity being listed on the keynote, I'm guessing that's already in the works.)

An OS X specific platform forum would be handy too.

28. mradfo21

mradfo21

i remained saddened by OSX.. sigh.. all i want to do is read a damn 3d texture in Unity..

29. topimanos

topimanos

Who are you?
    My Name is Topi Järvinen, i'm from Finnland and i'm making a game with unity alone for no purpose at all :D
    or rather i'm making it cause it's possible.
    i haven't study scripting or programming at all, untill now that i started using this unity ^^

-
    Currently i have been trying to make mmorpg game it has been succe's for time being expect --> Bad things section

-
    i'm not sure what does this Queston mean so i leave this empty.. or rather i'm not that far to know the answer for this..

-
    Its Very easy to learn .
    - The moving system and explanations in tutorials are good and Educating.. (i 've learned this whole system in 2 weeks)
    - It has good beginner Tools to try and see how they work..
    - its very simple. Yes i like simple. ^^
    - this doesn't seems to be such a big robbery and i think its fun that u can create games..
    - having prefab examples from the begin helped a lot.. ^^
    - thank's for the very good user experience's! :)

- i don't know why but i get a lot crashes i would like to know how to fix these.. and i cant even click build and run without the unity 5 to crash.. this doesn't really get me all excited for this system and for getting pro..

- some effects like resolution options and shader's shouldn't be automatically added from the begin they could be like manually added (easy to set on but not on from begin so it wouldn't cause lagg on to unity while you work on map or what ever your working on)

- clicking to move object Automatically activate's All the part's attached on it. this is Really bad when you'r creating Huge dragon with super many parts.. This should be fixed so it would cause less lagg.

- Unity | Documentation Section Could be Little More Clear and more easy to Read or it Should have more example's what the stuff mean's.. I'm Having Super hard time to figure out where does the saved Data go since it's been explained very confusing way in there..

- C# Scripts Doesn't Understand the Key Ä or ä now that is huge problem for people from Finnland.. with computer setted on finn language.. the part of a problem becomes when they have to save something on they C:/User <--
    in finnland this thing User = käyttäjä and it cannot be switched.. or at least i don't know how to.

- for beginner prefabs. could have some sorta House or tent where you can walk inside with you'r beginner first person character. just so beginner developers would get a little of idea that it's possible as well.

- C# Script should understand Ä Key. it's a must ! :))

30. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

There aren't any problems typing ä (or any other Unicode character) in scripts. Make sure you're saving as UTF-16.

--Eric

31. topimanos

topimanos

oh thanks ^^ did not know this ^^ how do i make sure i save it as UTF-16?

32. QFSW

QFSW

Who are you?
    A hobbyist working on their game in their free time

An arcade high score style game

I develop on a Mac and would like to try and release it for as many platforms as possible

Builds quickly, looks good, neatly bundled as a .app

The launcher (all standalones)
    Fullscreen

Metal :)
    Add the option to choose which display its on from the launcher like the windows one does
    Make the launcher more flexible or customisable
    Alt+Tab out of fullscreen ;)

33. mark_ff

mark_ff

Who are you?
    Mark Ffrench, Developer at Firefly Studios

A port of the windows Strategy MMO Stronghold Kingdoms

Our mac port has been released, we're currently working on the iOS version.

In theory, the ability to quickly switch between platforms and have the same project work is great.

In practice, it's not anywhere near that simple :).
    The process of getting a Mac project exported from Unity and onto the App Store is a nightmare! Mostly because of how opaque Apple's own documentation is. But also because Unity exports directly as an app, rather than an Xcode project. It makes things significantly harder because the Unity Mac dev community is much smaller and so knowledge can't easily be shared between the larger Unity iOS dev community and mac devs, even if they come across similar issues.

There also doesn't seem to be a Mac or Linux development forum, which is pretty baffling. Mac development has a bunch of it's own weird issues, and having knowledge of them collected together in one place would save us a lot of time.

Mac forum
    xCode project output
    Or even better - Automated codesigning and packaging for OSX and iOS!

34. Shushustorm

Shushustorm

Who are you?
    1 person, so far I released two small games on the iOS App Store, one on Google Play.

Mostly cross-platform games that I plan to release on iOS / Android, too.
    The Mac OS App Store would also be a good place to distribute some games, I guess.

Right now, I probably don't have a finished game that I would port to OSX.
    Well, maybe if I could set the resolution to a particular scale? Then I could simulate the 16:9 aspect ratio (portrait) on a Mac, which would be good for games that are optimized for 16:9 (portrait).

It seems to work pretty well. So far, I haven't run into any problems at all.

This may not necessarily have something to do with the player itself, but I tried getting into the whole Mac OS distribution process and found that very confusing. But maybe that's because I just found little and not-so-good documentation on this subject.

Maybe a better documentation for OSX App Store? Maybe I just haven't found it and it is located somewhere on the internet, in which case I would say that you should make it easier to find.
    And, of course, if this isn't implemented: The possibility to set the window size to particular values and / or aspect ratio.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2015
  35. Kraythen

Kraythen

I am new to Unity so I am still learning. However one thing I would love to make it better is to support multitouch in the apple trackpad. It would be cool i you could use a gesture to rotate models and pan the view and so on. I have really tossed my mouse out the window ages ago. I only use them when I have no choice. All Mac laptops and many desktops support multitouch.

36. sstrong

sstrong

Who are you?
    Small indie developer

3D racing games (mostly). Some FPS.

We try to release on OSX and Windows Store in parallel

In development phase, can move projects between Windows 8/10 and Mac OS X.X with ease - we REALLY like this, pls don't break it.

The deployment/packaging process. We tend not to do build for Mac until 75% through development cycle. Some blame rests with Apple, but this process is poor. Always have to edit/copy info.plist (basic stuff like appname, versions, bundle identifier, app category type, readable copyright etc).
    Almost always having to wait for Unity to support the version of XCode that Apple requires for submissions.

Provide a mid-point version between Personal and Professional for Indie developers with small teams (<5), customizable splashscreen, Team License, and maybe some performance profiling tools. If you analyze current Prof users might be able to generate more revenue AND get more Indie developers over to subscription model.

37. User340

User340

Who are you?
    CTO at WebGames3D

We're building productivity software for professionals.

OS X standalone is one of the main platforms that we support. A large portion of our users come from the Mac App Store on OS X.

Screen runs in low resolution mode (non-retina).

Retina support, especially in windowed mode & fullscreen.
    Make it easier to publish to the Mac App Store. Automate the process as much as possible.

38. MrDude

MrDude

Who are you?
    Fulltime freelancer. Mostly contract work, some games planned

RPG, Dungeon Crawler, Stealth, Racing... lots planned. Just need to find the time.

It is my target platform, pure and simple. I absolutely hate how the store is filled with low poly models because that is what it takes to make a game "mobile ready". I'm tired of the limited minds and just want tog get away from mobile completely. Make the best game I can that looks as good as it can and not have to worry about the limitations of the iPhones that are more powerful than the iMac I create the game on... :p But seriously, I want to work on desktop so I have NO excuse to use low poly hand painted or 2D pixelated 8-bit retro sprites nonsense or all that other "retro" things they sell as "made for mobile". It's psychological. On Mobile I might use it, for desktop I refuse. For networking purposes, though, knowing my players can have stable ADSL vs 3G suddenly going to Edge or no signal at any time... Desktop platforms are for me, thank you.

The ability to configure keys at runtime is sorely lacking
    I hate how I build a game to be run in Windowed mode but if I set the resolution to X,Y it is automatically adjusted to A,B because X,Y is not valid for whatever reason. In Web players my game looks great. On desktops the new screen resolution breaks the entire thing.

Make it easier to publish to the Mac App Store. Automate the process as much as possible.

Amitrs likes this.
  39. darnells

darnells

Who are you?
    Senior scientist and team leader at a life science software company

Scientific visualization, specifically 3D molecular structures

We have already created a cross-platform (Win/Mac) windowed application with multiple document views, including an OpenGL molecular viewer. We are also interested supporting other environments and were considering porting our viewer to Unity. While new workflows may use an executive shell, I need to also support our existing embedded paradigm. Windows standalone supports the this (-parentHWND <HWND>), but OS X standalone does not.

Still evaluating

Still evaluating

Support OS X standalone embedding to make it more feature complete compared to Windows

Amitrs likes this.