Search Unity

Official Powerpoint Tutorial to make an FIrst person shooter?

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by emark4, Nov 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. emark4

emark4

Hi, I'm new to Unity and I am trying out one of the tutorials : The Survival Shooter. However, I wondering if there is a official PowerPoint slide that teaches you to make an First Person shooter. I know there are YouTube videos for this but I find reading the instructions at my own pace is better for me. I have zero knowledge of using Unity and Game Development in general and I would like to make a First person action game when I get the hang of this hopefully.

At the very least, I can just put the viewpoint from top down to first person in the survival shooter example right?

2. OboShape

OboShape

3. AlejandroBoss

AlejandroBoss

I started that a while back and noticed he downloads the standard assets from the asset store. Can I just use the assets that unity already has to import in the project? Like the built in assets that unity has or do I need that asset

4. OboShape

OboShape

theres a new and improved V3 of the FPS, with all new networking and assets.
    I guess you dont need per se, but it would be beneficial to have what Mike has to work along with it.
    I cant remember what exactly was done in the initial tutorial sessions, I have still to work through V3 of it from the end of last year.

5. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

There is no real "How to make an FPS" tutorial that is up to date. There are some very very old ones that you can find on the 'net.

If you wanted to, you could start with the standard assets FPS capsule:
    4cec41fce3903f55c8ba94e6625049cd.png

05f34663faf656d8f5507562a18d88bf.png

That'll get you walking around.

Shooting - try the shooting with raycasts as either a video or article:
    https://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/lets-try/shooting-with-raycasts
    https://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/projects/lets-try-assignments/lets-try-shooting-raycasts-article

That will get you shooting.

There are more steps to this.

Now - this thread is somewhat off-topic for this section of the forum.

For further support, I'd suggest taking this to one of the other sections of the forum, as this section is for discussing existing training materials.

If you have a specific question re: one of the training classes, including the Raycast sessions, please open another thread.

OboShape likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.