Search Unity

[Official]New UI System.... coming in Unity 4.6

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tim-C, May 28, 2014.

1. goat

goat

There is a 4.6 Beta thread that tells how. It's not hard, JustSomeVeryLongFunctionCallName() that I don't remember.

2. Luiz_Thiago

Luiz_Thiago

Ty dude =)

3. StarManta

StarManta

EventSystemManager.currentSystem.IsPointerOverEventSystemObject()

But this thread is not the best place for this sort of discussion - you'll get better results in the beta forum.

4. deram_scholzara

deram_scholzara

You need the "using UnityEngine.UI;" at the top. The UI stuff is in a separate namespace that isn't included in new scripts by default (since it isn't as common as UnityEngine and System.Collections).

5. lyh1

lyh1

I have problem with Dynamic Font and UI Mask, it seems the Dynamic Font using a shader which is not supported by UI Mask or Dynamic Font use a wrong shader which is not support stencil buffer.

6. lyh1

lyh1

I found that I need to create another material instead of using the one come with font in order to use in new UI System.
    Is it by design?????

7. Ankit-Priyarup

Ankit-Priyarup

Hey,
    I am creating a chat application in Unity but i am facing an issue i.e. in gameplay window everything is perfect but when i build my app and test it on my Nexus 7 tablet everything seems to be soo tiny...
    Although i used the same aspect ratio of my table to the unity game window but still it happens. this problem carry on with my wp8 phone also.

8. Devil_Inside

Devil_Inside

You used the same aspect ratio, but which resolution did you use to design your UI?
    Take a look at the ReferenceResolution component (you can find more info in the offline documentation that comes with the Unity 4.6 beta).

9. amcneilly84

amcneilly84

Hello, i am unsure how using the new GUI in 4.6 to dynamically create GUI elements in a scrollable grid. I am having alignment and scaling issues and finding that i can build for a fixed resolution but supporting multiple resolutions is proving to be difficult and complicated. any advice would greatly be appreciated given the limited documentation.

What i want is to have a grid of buttons. this grid of buttons is 10x4 and is designed to be scrolled left and right as not all buttons will be visible at a time (4x4 buttons will be visible at a time).

The current way i have implemented this is to create a prefab for the button. root is a empty game object with no GUI. the child is a button, that uses WDelta and HDelta of 100x100, pivot of 0.5, 0.5 and custom anchor settings. The reason for the parent object is so that the delta, pivot and anchor are relative to the parent object. I then dynamically create the elements and add them to a root GUI element with 100% width and heigh stretch, this root object has the pivot set to top left that defines the initial position of the first button. as i create the buttons i shift the next button along the x axis for each row.

I was having issues using this method with scaling and padding i.e. the grid did not have the same proportions when the resolution was changed. to correct this i resize the GUI button width and height by the default resolution ratio and the current resolution. i also apply scale to the value i shift the buttons along the x axis.

Now this method seams overly complicated and i suspect there is an easier way. Any advice?

Thanks in advance

10. Ostwind

Ostwind

Aurore likes this.
  11. Venged

Venged

Is there a way to access individual Blenshape Slider values in the SkinnedMeshRenderer of an object? I would like to use the Sliders in the new GUI to access and change the Blenshapes with the GUI sliders.

12. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

I think you'd need a little bit of glue code for that - you probably can't hook the sliders to the blend shape values directly - but it's certainly doable.

Venged likes this.
  13. Ankit-Priyarup

Ankit-Priyarup

Any idea about how to make blur Image element of gui. for example in the below image there is a bottom pane which has less opacity i want it to be translucent like in ios 7.

Attached Files:

14. Ramcat

Ramcat

@Tim C said:
    "Mouse clicks go though the standard input handling. It doesn't prevent clicks going through to the scene view (we don't consume the click), but in the game you can query the event system to ask it if the pointer is over an event system object."
    I would love to see some example code. I'm new to Unity and have been searching for hours on how to "query the event system to ask it if the pointer is over an event system object".

15. orb

orb

Code (CSharp):
    1. bool yes = EventSystemManager.currentSystem.IsPointerOverEventSystemObject();

Ramcat likes this.
  16. Ramcat

Ramcat

Thanks, just would add that you have to import UnityEngine.EventSystems as well.

17. orb

orb

Well, yes :)

18. Aurore

Aurore

Director of Real-Time Learning

19. Robota

Robota

Ok, so we are no more in summer and 4.6 is still not released...

shkar-noori likes this.
  20. Dantus

Dantus

http://unity3d.com/unity/beta/4.6

It is in beta, yes it is not yet released. It is good that it is not yet released, because there are still bugs.

Just as a quick note. Many of us are extremely happy that Unity wants to communicate more open. Please don't destroy that by complaining about not met release dates!

Last edited: Sep 22, 2014
    shkar-noori and StarManta like this.
  21. Robota

Robota

It was a sort of joke. :)
    I'm on a project and I need 4.6 for UI. I started using the beta, and I'm happy with it. They done a really good job.
    But I'm lucky because the deadline of this project is months ago, I'am sure there are others developers that don't have my luck and are really stressed and pray for a imminent released of the 4.6.

22. StarManta

StarManta

One of the golden rules of using pro software is, if it's not out right now, don't bet your business on it being out at any time. I have been using the 4.6 beta in production, but if you're not comfortable taking a risk like that and have a production on a deadline, then go grab a copy of NGUI. It's as simple as that.

23. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

There's nothing stopping anyone from using 4.6 now, unless there's some critical bug that you can't work around. It's released for all intents and purposes, aside from the webplayer maybe. Honestly the difference between the beta and the final version is arbitrary to some extent, where they decide that it's stable enough, but it doesn't mean it's "done" or there are no bugs. All "final" versions have had known bugs, it's just that they basically have to say "good enough!" at some point. So don't get too hung up on the beta label.

No you don't. There have been many thousands of Unity games released before 4.6. If the beta didn't exist, you could use the existing UI functions, roll your own solution, or buy one off the asset store, like everyone else has done so far.

--Eric

shkar-noori likes this.
  24. Robota

Robota

I do. I have already invested time to learn uGUI. I have used nGUI one time and I was frustrated by the messy documentation. Maybe it is better now but I don't want to use it again, and yes I know that ArenMook also worked on uGUI.

Saying that you don't need a tool to make a game because plenty of other games where made without it, is a argument a little bit to easy. So maybe you don't need Unity because a lot of games were made before Unity. Yes it is surely true...

shkar-noori likes this.
  25. StarManta

StarManta

I do not think this word means what you think it means. By what seems to be your definition of the word 'need', for example, I could not have possibly integrated AR or the Facebook SDK into my games because the documentation for those plugins was subpar. If you can't deal with a component having poor documentation or unexpected gaps in functionality or being organized in a way that doesn't make sense to you? You're in the wrong industry, brother.

Want. Want is the word you're looking for.

26. Robota

Robota

Yes, surely.

27. freso

freso

What is the magic behind minimizing draw calls? My current uGUI is using 7 draw calls, and I would like to get this down to 1 if I can. What should I think about?

28. Andy-Touch

Andy-Touch

A Moon Shaped Bool Unity Legend

We are going to need WAY more information if anyone is going to help with your question.
    - Do you have a screenshot of your UI?
    - How have you built-up your UI structure?
    - Are you using the Sprite packer?

29. freso

freso

I was looking for some generic tips, but I can go specific for my case.
    I'm doing a HUD for a car game (see screenshot).
    There are 4 Text-components that uses the same font (TTF), and 4 image components.
    The images are single PNG:s (transparent) imported as "Sprite 2D and UI)
    Not using Sprite Packer. I thought I read that the images would be packed automatically in runtime. uGUI_question.png

30. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

Only in Unity Pro.

31. Andy-Touch

Andy-Touch

A Moon Shaped Bool Unity Legend

Yeah, the Sprite Packer is a Pro Feature that takes your individual sprites (That have been assigned a Packing Tag in the import settings) and would auto-pack them into a spritesheet, that would reduce the number of drawcalls.

However, if you are using Unity Free, you could use something like ShoeBox (http://renderhjs.net/shoebox/) which is a useful tool that allows you to auto-create a spritesheet based on selected images. This spritesheet can then be imported into Unity under a 'Multiple' sprite type, and you can then use the Sprite Editor to slice it into individual sprites.

I just did this with a few sprites from a Flappy Bird Spritesheet, no Sprite Packer used!:

Attached Files:

32. freso

freso

Oh, that I totally missed.

Ok, so in Unity Free, I should create a sprite sheet to minimize drawcalls för images.
    How stupid of me. I thought I tested some variants, but I see now, if I remove all images, I have only one draw call.

Thanks for your answers. It's all logical now. :)

33. thendricks

thendricks

Is there a way to do multiple touch on the new GUI system because I have a mobile game with a joystick and I can't move the joystick and press a different button at the same time

34. bluescrn

bluescrn

Think about optimizing other areas of your game, maybe?

At just 7 draw calls, the draw calls are unlikely to be a bottleneck. If your UI is slow, it's more likely to be related to the number of pixels (alpha/overdraw), or the number of polygons, or other factors (e.g. dynamic fonts updating)

35. nbg_yalta

nbg_yalta

Same question... there is 4.6 RC1 already! Is it fixed?

36. Marco-Sperling

Marco-Sperling

Not sure if it has been asked before.
    Will there be (or is there already) some kind of customizeable grid to be used when layouting the user interface structure?
    What I'd like to see in the new UI system is some kind of rulers or grids that we can drag around to create a framework for our interface elements so we can simply snap things into place.

Devil_Inside likes this.
  37. dcc7

dcc7

The new UI button does not work.
    - Unity3D 4.6 rc2
    - Windows Phone 8.1 emulator

38. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

You should think about whether the 6 draw calls you're thinking about saving are worth the effort. First question is, are you even bottlenecked by draw calls?

I'm pretty sure that the "1 draw call" selling point for UIs is purely a marketing thing. It can be a genuine concern for some mobile games but, even there, it's mostly a concern for really dated hardware (eg: early iPhones where 30 draw calls total was pushing it).

giyomu likes this.
  39. jashan

jashan

It may have been 3-5 years ago. Today it just shows that the person using this to market their product hasn't updated their materials in a long time (or hasn't kept up with technological developments in the mobile world). Unless you're having many hundreds of draw calls (or target people with devices from the previous age), I really wouldn't worry about it. Just because it's comparatively simple to optimize doesn't mean it's worth it.

angrypenguin likes this.
  40. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

I don't think it's even necessarily "comparatively simple to optimize". If I need to save draw calls I'm going to look at my scene, not my UI, because if it's worth the bother of optimizing anything I'm going to want to save way more than just a handful, I'm going to want to make changes that save a whole bunch at once, and I'm going to want to make changes which have little or no visual impact.

A UI with less than a dozen calls doesn't fit those criteria, because the most I can save with my effort is less than a dozen calls. Spend the same time looking for and finding inefficiencies in my scene and I could save many times that with similar effort and less functional/aesthetic impact.

I think what makes it a popular optimization is that people have heard so much about it. A common complaint with the legacy GUI system is its number of draw calls, so people heard about that and the huge savings you could make with potentially simple changes (eg: bake anything that doesn't change into textures... bam, save 20+ draw calls at once!). In response people started marketing 3rd party systems as "saving draw calls" which quickly rushed to "entire GUI in 1 draw call" claims, which is reasonable when considered in context (it's a direct solution to a real problem) but isn't a useful yardstick in the context of optimizing a game as a whole (because by using such a system you've already gone from potentially many dozens of draw calls to probably less than one dozen, so now it's probably time to look elsewhere).

As with all things optimization, it's absolutely critical to measure before, during and after, and to make sure you understand all of what you're optimizing before you jump in. Otherwise there's a string likelihood you'll make stuff worse.

jashan and inafield like this.
  41. Marrt

Marrt

Absolutely, if you are on mobile overdraw is your bane.
    Someone said (in a thread i cannot find anymore) that future releases will contain an option to render non-Quad geometry in the UI-System to reduce overdraw (Just like the SpriteRenderer does)

I couldn't wait, and since SpriteRenderers can be tossed onto RectTransform Objects i just wrote a function that adds a SpriteRenderer-child to a UI-Image essentially replacing the high-overdraw quad with a low overdraw Spriterenderer
    Pics in that post:
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/overdraw-spriterenderer-in-ui.339912/#post-2202994
    -If you need to scale the UI-Image at runtime by Anchor-manipulation you need to re-scale the SpriteRenderer-child accordingly, also the Spriterenderer is always centered within the anchors which may break some configurations.

42. Whippets

Whippets

@martt nice necro answer to a near year old post XD

43. Marrt

Marrt

Yet, overdraw caused by quads is still an issue on mobile, and i posted a neat workaround, i believe.

44. matdestr

matdestr