Search Unity

Official MonoDevelop 4.x thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nooch, Nov 12, 2013.

1. Nooch

Nooch

The community has been asking for an updated MonoDevelop for years (literally), and Unity has finally shipped a new version! What do you think?

Let's use this thread to discuss impressions, tips, problems or whatever else related to the updated code editor.

To get the ball rolling... as a unityscript user, I have to admit I'm a bit disappointed so far.
    Although the editor is slightly faster (a bit noticeable when scrolling through large files), some previous features are no longer working!

Specifically, the pads "Document Outline" and "Classes" are not showing unityscript/js files. These both work in 2.8.x and are extremely useful for quick access to files and their functions, etc.

Other than that, I haven't really noticed any obvious differences, apart from the ui looking more like xcode.
    Is this update as big a deal as we'd hoped? Maybe it is better for c# users.

2. charmandermon

charmandermon

I just wish i could do side by side code windows like visual studio.

3. Whippets

Whippets

So unimpressed with 4.0.1, I reinstalled the old MonoDevelop 2.8.2 :(

Gone is my useful toolbar, to be replaced with a huge realestate eating panel of things I don't use, and still it didn't allow the one thing I wanted, which was multiple instances.

4. movra

movra

In response to the announcement of the MonoDevelop upgrade I was figuratively dancing a jig.

Upon starting the debugger however it appears Mono itself hasn't been updated. It's still not possible to view the contents of generic collections when debugging.

Code (csharp):
    1. Unknown type 'System.Collections.Generic.CollectionDebuggerView`1, mscorlib.dll'
    That bug was supposedly fixed in Mono 2.10.2.

Sad panda is sad.

5. DaffyMcLaugh

DaffyMcLaugh

The previous version of Unity was crashing after hitting a breakpoint in MonoDevelop. Has this been fixed? It's been pretty brutal trying to debug without being able to hit breakpoints in a debugger.

6. DaffyMcLaugh

DaffyMcLaugh

Sorry, I forgot to mention that this started after upgrading the OS to Mavericks.

7. Maf

Maf

I like the new way it handles debugging, and the modernised look. Some of the other changes seem like improvements, but will take a bit of getting used to.

However, I've found it absolutely riddled with bugs, and am here looking for solutions. Looks like the post popular one is to downgrade back to 2.x.x.

I think I might do that, and try again in a month or two. Anyone else been having issues?
    (Using with Unity 4.3 on WinXP - upgrading to Win7 at Christmas)

8. Arbelzapf

Arbelzapf

Can this be disabled at least?

I'm back to 4.2 until Vuforia gets an update, but I had a quick glance and was pretty annoyed by that immense bar with no useful functionality

9. half_voxel

half_voxel

I think it's awesome just because it is SOOOO much faster on OSX. Previously monodevelop could hang for 20 seconds randomly, which was very annoying. And also it could take several seconds to load the autocompletions. And yes, I did disable all plugins.

So this new version is really nice to work with.
    Now I can actually use the Command+Dot search functionality in practice, in the previous versions it has been so slow that it was almost faster to look through all files for the correct one, refactoring doesn't seem to take an extremely long time either.

10. pdq72

pdq72

Where is the standard toolbar? Its gone

11. Murgilod

Murgilod

I'm on OSX and I can't scroll at all with my mousewheel in Monodevelop. What's the deal?

12. half_voxel

half_voxel

Not an OSX issue at least. I have tried on two computers with OSX, both of them scroll fine.

13. oldngrey

oldngrey

The new MonoDevelop seems to have also lost the Row/Column indicator at the bottom right of the window.
    Anyone know a way to find out your column number now?

14. Robota

Robota

Also on OS X, debugging is very painful, like in the old days... :(
    I always crash Unity after or before breaking on a breakpoints, this is really inacceptable on a professional developing tools!

I 'am surprise to not read much about this here... Is it the same under Windows ?
    What is your workaround to debug ? Do you open Monodevelop and then unity ?

15. Pelajesh

Pelajesh

Does anyone know how to get a dark theme for the interface (not the code area)? I didn't find a way to do this in 4, however it was possible in 2.8

16. Agent_007

Agent_007

Do you use Logitech mouse with its drivers?

17. Snaxz

Snaxz

Having same issue, Logitech Performance MX. Monodevelop 4.0.1.

This is really messing with my zen thing.

I've always been happy with Unitron because that is the specific code hinting / highlighting I learned on. I've been trying to make the switch to Monodevelop and now that i'm forced (since they finally killed Unitron) and now simple scrolling doesn't work.... eish. :neutral:

Would upgrading to Mavericks work? Different drivers there?

PS, any way to get monodevelop to "look" just like Unitron did for .js?

18. Murgilod

Murgilod

Yep. There a fix?

19. Snaxz

Snaxz

This kinda works...

If your on a laptop, use the trackpad to scroll, then use your scroll wheel in the same window. Seems to work for awhile with my MX. Weird. Also kinda works when you click the scroll wheel in as you scroll.

20. squared55

squared55

I switched back. The missing toolbar was annoying, but I could live with it (although the space is still used for... nothing). But the real killer was the fact that every time I saved (control-s), the scroll bar would jump up by about a page, and I would lose where I was.

21. TheRaider

TheRaider

Is there anyway to get back that nice box which lists all the functions in the script so you can quickly jump to them?

22. spacefrog

spacefrog

I did search for a solution as this wasted vertical space is truly ridiculous, but to no avail. I even read in a statement from te devs, that it's intentionally shoved down the users throads ( read: not able to be disabled/configured ). I even browsed over the source wether there would be some quick way to kick it out , but did'nt want to spend too much time on that ...

BTW: this design idiocy/idea is coming from Apple's xcode, where you get the same space waste .......

23. Arbelzapf

Arbelzapf

That sucks big time. When I'm not at home, I'm working on a 11,9" notebook. I do plan to upgrade in the future, but it still should be no bigger than 13".
    So in any case, this is critical for me.

24. Brock-Bondo

Brock-Bondo

My scrollwheel was jacked too. Figured it out. The scrollwheel tilts left or right by putting pressure on it. The editor will scroll with the wheel when you do that. Looks like I gotta go in the logitech mouse settings in apple prefs to change the scroll wheel setting.

Uh....the logitech settings say that the tilting wheel thing is for horizontal scroll. And the scrollwheel itself is set for vertical scroll. So that means this stupid editor is looking for horizontal scrolling input to do vertical scrolling!

Update: after unsetting and setting the logitech prefs for the wheel, the editor magically works.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2013
  25. TheSniperFan

TheSniperFan

In my opinion it's certainly a huge step forward from the old version.
    It will not change the way I code though. After working with MD for the last few days I know that for sure. I use VS and only open MD when I need to debug my code.

26. Shocking

Shocking

I have an odd problem, When I try to select and drag some text in the editor to move it to a different spot, the selection "Floats" back to it's original spot.

I looked all over google and couldn't find any thing about this.

Is there some kind of settings I'm over looking, or is it just me?
    Or am I the only one that likes to select and drag the text and that feature just isn't in the editor?

Super appreciated for any insight in to this :D

27. TheSniperFan

TheSniperFan

Same problem here.
    If there's no fix for this behaviour, the best thing you can do is Ctrl+X/CTRL+V it; you'll have it selected anyway.

28. bioduds

bioduds

I'm enjoying it (so far) :D

29. Nevak

Nevak

Im on Windows 8 and I find it really sluggy in general. It also has some annoying bugs like:

-When you hit ctrl+S to save, it automatically scrolls down to the bottom of the file. This is really getting me nuts since I save a lot (almost after every little change) and it is really frustrating having to scroll all the way back up every time.

-The collapse / uncollapse buttons for code sections disappear randomly. Not a big deal for me but hey, it worked perfectly in the previous version.

-Screen tearing / lag when scrolling quickly

30. hasullivan

hasullivan

On OSX Maverick and had the touch pad scroll issue as well. Reverted to old copy. Few issues but at least I can scroll.

31. yoyo

yoyo

Some more information about the making of the new MonoDevelop, its UI, and the search bar ...
    http://blog.xamarin.com/the-making-of-xamarin-studio/

In general I do like the new look, but the search bar takes up way too much space and I would hide it if I could. I also had a weird (and short-lived) bug where the find-in-files dialog would pop up invisible behind the IDE. I will say "Find references" seems way faster, but I need to try it on a larger project to be confident that's really true.

I'm going to call it two steps forward and one step back, seems like progress.

32. probbins

probbins

Anyone else have the issue of clicking a message in Unity console no longer directing them to the line in the script?

33. half_voxel

half_voxel

I think this is only the case when using an older version of Unity together with the new monodevelop.

34. probbins

probbins

Thanks, it seems to have fixed itself in 4.3.1

I was running the latest version of unity at the time though, when I did have the issue.

35. thilina098

thilina098

Hi Guys,

Does any one know how to change new Mono-develop 4.0.1 theme to a dark theme ?

I've been using 46165-Clearlooks_blackblue theme in the past and its no longer working with the new version.

any help would be appreciated.

36. pspdude

pspdude

If anyone could help with this, that would be amazing. Been trying to use gtk themes work with this, but any themes that do "work" end up uncompleted like this http://screencloud.net/v/zfcB

37. Ebkac

Ebkac

Add me to the broken scroll wheel club. Tried everything, some of you gave me hope but resetting the prefs in the control center did not help. Logitech Mouse M510 using the latest LCC as of this posting.

Works fine with trackpad and another random mouse I have around the house. But the M510 is my favorite....

38. Smooth-P

Smooth-P

Haven't tried the new MD yet... Does it have convenient and efficient way to use regular expressions, or is it still based on ridiculous levels of copy and pasting? Or, even better, is there some way to use regexes in older versions other than the god awful, productivity destroying "Regex Toolkit"?

39. LukaKotar

LukaKotar

It will take approx. an hour to download Unity 4.2.2 just because I want to switch back to the previous Unity-supported MonoDevelop. I just want to be able to scroll! :(

Edit: I've downgraded, feels good so to scroll!

Last edited: Dec 14, 2013
  40. Yoska

Yoska

Eh. Okey, so I thought I liked the new MD but it apparently gives an error and sometimes crashes when I write 'callable' in a boo script. What? Going back to the old version then.

41. TheRaider

TheRaider

anyone?

42. sonicviz

sonicviz

Any tips on getting the tabs to work?

It's driving me nuts, such a productivity killer.

I think I'll use VS as you can't debug with MD anyway without it crashing most of the time now anyway.

Really dissapointed in Unity putting out such essential tools completely bugged.

43. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

So... the line/column number display is gone because, according to the Xamarin developers, there are "better options", such as the column ruler. The thing is, the column ruler isn't working for me. It shows up, but changes to its position don't do anything, so it's useless.

Bug report time...

44. Trof_Sivart

Trof_Sivart

Bump this. I don't even know how to get it to look like it is in that screenshot...

45. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

I forgot I'd posted this. Courtesy of Unity's QA team, I now know that the Preferences settings don't change the current project, only new ones that you create afterwards. To change the current project you need to modify the solution properties. I haven't tried it yet as I haven't been back to OS X for a couple of days. but since that came from Unity's QA people I trust it's solid.

46. lalamax3d

lalamax3d

i can get familiar with new stuff. but most irritating thing is >> themes options are gone. so i have to use white version..
    any body know a way to switch this to dark theme by any chance. huge thanks in advance, regards,lala

47. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

No they're not. I don't know off the top of my head where they are, but as I managed to change themes I'm pretty confident it's still there. ;)

48. lalamax3d

lalamax3d

49. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

I find it difficult to believe that you "tried a lot" since I just had a quick look and found it again, in around 10 seconds. Tools -> Options -> Text Editor -> Syntax Hilighting -> Color Schemes. And aside from the "Syntax Hilighting" bit, that's all pretty straightforward...

50. lalamax3d

lalamax3d

i know syntax highlighting.
    i was talking about skin / theme
    for sake of clarity, see attachment
    thanks,lala $monoCapture2.JPG

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 13, 2014