Search Unity

Odyssey Train Simulation - Technical Demonstration

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by _Hydra_, Mar 7, 2016.

1. _Hydra_

_Hydra_

Project Odyssey is a complex train simulation that combines sophisticated train physics with ultra-realistic graphics.

The technical demo was developed by me over a span of 5 months with Unity 5 Pro undertaking coding, design and development.

It is intended to be released as a full-fledged game so stay tuned.
    Any and all suggestions and comments are always welcome and thank you for viewing.

More at http://daggerproteus.blogspot.com/

Youtube Channel : https://www.youtube.com/user/ProcyonNemesis/

Regards
    Pro

Last edited: Jul 1, 2017
    RavenOfCode and mgear like this.
  2. Jacob-Christ

Jacob-Christ

Looks awesome, would be great if the camera had a little motion bias so that it didn't look like it was physically connected to the train.

Jacob

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  3. longroadhwy

longroadhwy

@_Hydra_ ,

That looks awesome.. Thanks for posting it. I l like train simulations. Do you plan on the support PI Engineer's RailDriver controller with your game?

4. _Hydra_

_Hydra_

Noted will add it.

If you insist consider it done.

5. longroadhwy

longroadhwy

That will be great to have RailDriver support. Are you using Rewired for your input by any chance?

6. _Hydra_

_Hydra_

I have support for almost 5 joysticks and I am using the default input so far, if Rewired comes highly recommended then I have no issues in switching to it, it does look like an awesome Input system, will definitely consider it.

7. longroadhwy

longroadhwy

Rewired is highly recommended! (The reviews give a good indication)
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/21676

(1) Rewired supports the RailDriver controller!

(2) Here is the complete list of supported controllers out of the box. (I don't think you will find too many other input systems that can compete with this list).

http://guavaman.com/projects/rewired/docs/SupportedControllers.html

(3) Rewired does have a very active forum thread and responsive developer.

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/rewired-advanced-input-for-unity.270693/

(4) Control Mapper GUI

Allows end users to remap controller as they like it. Keyboard/mouse/controller(s) can be remapped.

http://guavaman.com/projects/rewired/docs/ControlMapper.html

(5) Free trial version. (That is really the best way to evaluate Rewired).

The only limitation is a 2-minute timeout on during runtime of the executable that you have built. Each time you start the game the timer is reset so you can evaluate as long as you like.

http://guavaman.com/projects/rewired/trial.html

Last edited: Mar 8, 2016
    theANMATOR2b likes this.
  8. _Hydra_

_Hydra_

Purchased Rewired, implemented and RailDriver support added.
    Cheers.

guavaman likes this.
  9. longroadhwy

longroadhwy

Great news to hear. This will be nice to have a Unity based train simulation with superior controller support.

What is the background story for your train simulation game?

10. _Hydra_

_Hydra_

The usual get the cargo on time and work your way up story ?

I am more of a tech guy and I pay attention to getting the physics correct, I am currently working on the TGV and Maglev trains, so you can expect blistering speeds in my future demos.

I am open to story suggestions, there will always be a free drive mode where you can choose your train and travel without any game related restrictions.

Although a word of warning the game will be heavy on CPU/GPU resources as I don't compromise on quality so a high end gaming rig would be advisable for optimum experience.

I have spent almost 2 years brainstorming Project Odyssey getting the technical issues sorted out and making sure the train physics is perfect, given enough exposure and if I am happy with the final output I will release the game free of cost.

You can have a look at Odyssey Version 1.0 that I had postponed due to certain limitations in the Ogre game engine.

http://daggerproteus.blogspot.com/p/shelved-postponed.html

I took up the challenge to complete what I started even if I had to redo everything from scratch in Unity.

It's more of a technical challenge to me than a source of revenue so I intend to make the project stand out to the best of my abilities.

Cheers

11. longroadhwy

longroadhwy

Heavy on the CPU/GPU is what we like. :) There are quite a few simple graphics train sims available already. Maglev simulation would be great addition. Free to drive will be very nice also.

I did scan the blog section quickly but I will read again in more details. It is great to have a good example of a train simulation on the Unity platform. Keep up the good work.

12. longroadhwy

longroadhwy

Any updates on when your game will be available?

13. _Hydra_

_Hydra_

Yes the project is very much in progress, just a few performance issues with the Maglev train combined with the large terrain structure that I have planned, I also have a seabridge in the level and there seem be certain errors arising in Unity 5.3.3 with Ceto and Unity has confirmed it was a Unity error, I am still using Unity 5.2.3f1 for the moment haven't checked if Unity has fixed the bug and I found no Maglev train models in Turbosquid that fit my description, I am currently working on the Japanese SCMaglev train (L0 Series), you can have a look at the train

Image:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L0_Series

Unfortunately there are no high quality models available of it in Turbosquid, I need atleast 2-3 models of it before I decide which one to use in my project, at the moment I am just using boxes for the Maglev. Looks like I have to hire a modeller and that's not something I usually prefer.
    The TGV model on turbosquid that I have decided on is brilliant but only has the train with no bogies which I would pretty much would have expected the author to include considering the price he is charging for it, so I may have to consider choosing between the German ICE and the Japanese Bullet Train and that's a tough choice to make.

So unavailabilty of the Maglev train model, unavailability of the TGV bogey for the TGV train that appeals me, which leads to choosing between the ICE or Bullet Train, designing a super large terrain which would be different if I choose TGV or ICE or the Bullet Train given the fact they are French, German and Japanese so the level has to mimic the train's country of origin and a little performance overhead with maglev trains has delayed things slightly and I also wanted to end the project with a vactrain as I won't be doing another project with trains but again that has zero models in Turbosquid which was expected as vactrains don't exist as of today, so that causes another delay.

So I may have to work on a small Unity game to raise funds, I need to upgrade my GPU and hire few modellers so you can expect the Odyssey Version 3.0 technical demo by Oct-Nov 2016 and a game release by Dec 2016.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2016
  14. longroadhwy

longroadhwy

Have you tried Unity 5.3.4f1?

I can really see there is a real lack of maglev models available when I did a simple search.

Thanks again for your update.

15. longroadhwy

longroadhwy

Any updates on this?

pKallv likes this.
  16. _Hydra_

_Hydra_

Really very happy to see that people are looking forward to play my game, it is under progress and I am optimising it as much as possible, I was working on my game project Aegis to fund the Odyssey project but the Indiegogo campaign wasn't successful, no issues I may have to fund both the projects myself so I can't exactly give a release date for Odyssey, releasing Aegis will fuel the funding for Odyssey so they are interconnected plus I am working on few unity assets that I will be releasing so stay tuned. My project Aegis can be found on the link below, thank you guys for your interest and have a great day

Aegis - Project Dark Sky :- https://forum.unity3d.com/threads/aegis-project-dark-sky-naval-war-pc-game-on-indiegogo.422996/

17. longroadhwy

longroadhwy

@_Hydra_

Thanks for the update. We can definitely use more train simulations like yours.

18. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

I am curious on the technical implementation. Did you use a raycast version, a spline based approach or pure physics approach? I spent one of my Saturday's attempting train physics and it didn't pan out beautifully. I found that the raycast version came closest though.

I am curious on what the maglev train entails in regards to detail? I am a modeler and we could potentially barter modeling for your package? We could privately discuss further if you're interested.

19. _Hydra_

_Hydra_

Hi James,

Yes I am using Raycasts for the Maglev, it's something I have already done a year before in the Odyssey Version 1.0 and I am using the same technique here, it's quite an expensive approach but yes it works the best, I'll be releasing an asset based on it so it will available for all to use, there are very few out of the box train solutions in the Unity asset store so yes we could team up and I could use your help for modelling, I am right now running between 3 projects so I'll let you know, lets see when I get time for Odyssey again, the asset will hit the store first so you can try it out there and yes I badly need a team so will let you know soon.

Have a great day.

JamesArndt likes this.
  20. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

Cool. We can stay in touch, just let me know.

21. _Hydra_

_Hydra_

Last edited: Jul 1, 2017
  22. longroadhwy

longroadhwy

23. John3D

John3D

Awesome graphics! Train simulators are interesting. Congrats!

24. Viz88

Viz88

Great Job _Hydra_ looks like a lot of work.