Search Unity

Odd flickering with mobile shaders

Discussion in 'BlackBerry' started by MrEsquire, Jun 5, 2014.

1. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Hi,

My mobile game has been rejected by Blackberry on terms of:

"I'm testing your app on BlackBerry Z30 and Z3. The characters are flickering on the main menu and during game ply. The game is fine on the BlackBerry Z10"

After doing a search on the forums:
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/odd-flickering-on-iphone4-touch4-with-mobile-shaders.218128/

Seems this issue is present on Blackberry and not fixed in Unity 4.5.

Can we please investigate this ASAP as its a showstopper bug.

Thanks

2. AlexThibodeau

AlexThibodeau

Unity Technologies

Hey there, have you submitted a bug for this? If so, do you have a case number for it?

Last edited: Jun 5, 2014
  3. WaterlooErik

WaterlooErik

Just to confirm, are your Project Settings > Quality levels set such that the BlackBerry build has VSync enabled? I've seen flickering when using the default quality level (which does not enable VSync.)

This may be a larger issue, but worth giving a shot as well if not already using VSync.

4. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

I have tried the suggestion to Disabling dynamic batching.
    I made a new build quickly and re uploaded, if its rejected again I will try your method.
    I hope its not something to major.

5. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Yes sent over a few bugs yesterday: (Case 611990)
    Thanks

6. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

VSync was disabled, I have enabled it and trying 3rd build to submit.
    Firstly the device I do have the Z10 - game works perfectly, I do not have the other devices to test on.

On a personal note I felt like writing Blackberry long email, soon these people who testing this will not even have a job at this rate, do you read all the news articles about how market share dropping each month. This is one the reasons for it, with strick QA - Apple didnt flag this on iPhone 4 and had same issue, new build fixes it. No application is perfect on launch thats what the application updates are for.

End of rant but as you seem to work for Blackberry I hope in future you have more input in how company works(they need all the cash they can get)

7. WaterlooErik

WaterlooErik

If you'd like me to test any builds before submitting to BlackBerry World, by all means feel free to fire me an email (eoros@blackberry.com) We definitely recognize that developers won't have access to every device out there for testing, so I'm happy to help out in that regard.

There's a lot of noise out there about what will/won't happen. In any event, we're here to do our best in supporting our developers as we can :) Sometimes it may mean a release is held off until some issues are addressed (which very well could have been missed due to not having all the hardware) but the ultimate goal is to simply help ensure that the first time end-users see your application, it's as polished as it can be with the hope of hooking them on the first try rather than having them move on to another app/game.

In any case, fingers crossed! If you do hit any additional issues, please don't hesitate to follow-up.

8. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Thank you WaterlooErik for the reply and tips. The issue still not resolved after trying different things so I have given up on this and decided to only allow Blackberry to post the game for Z10 as this device does not have issue, a bug had been raised and hope Unity will look into this some time soon. If you read shader forum as mentioned this issue was present on iPhone 4 before, so should be not something new.

Cheers

9. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Any news on a fix? Submitted bug but no one looked at it for 20 days now - is there a point of submitting bugs if the time to look at is going to be this much

10. AlexThibodeau

AlexThibodeau

Unity Technologies

I'm sorry for the delay, it seems like QA is backed up and hasn't gotten to your bug report yet. For the time being I've grabbed this myself to see what's up.

11. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Thank you, sorry did not mean to be so harsh or rude.
    Did not know the turn over of these things.

12. AlexThibodeau

AlexThibodeau

Unity Technologies

Was able to reproduce your issue on the Z30 and I think I've found a temporary work around. Long story short, you've found a bug in the GLES3.0 code that was introduced for the z30, which is why it's only happening on devices that have GLES3.0 support included. In the short term, under player settings->other settings there's a graphics level configuration option (keep in mind this option is shared across ios/android so changing it here will also change it for ios/android and to deploy there with gles3.0 you'll want to change it back). Just flip that to "Force GLES 2.0" and the flickering should go away. In the mean time I'll see if I can fix the GLES 3.0 bug as it is indeed a problem. :)

13. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Thanks Alex for the support and time to check this issue out. I'm glad its indeed a real bug in a way, so we can get a future fix. I will use the temp fix, indeed I started project as iOS then moved to other platforms so did not really mess around with these setting as introduced in Unity 4.5 the automatic selection option when one builds.

If you can get a fix into one the patch releases or the upcoming 4.5.2 release would be good as I'm not sure what other phones maybe have same issues

Cheers

14. AlexThibodeau

AlexThibodeau

Unity Technologies

On further investigation I've discovered that this is an issue with the device drivers for GLES 3.0. The next version of the BlackBerry 10 software 10.3.x has the fix for this. I updated my z30 to 10.3.0.442 and the problem was no longer there.

15. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Thats intresting, so is this specific issue to Blackberry and may not be Unity bug after all?

So Blackberry blame there customers and reject apps when there own drivers have issues, very un professional..

Again excellent detective work on your part.

16. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Just so you know, I tried to power up my Blackberry device other day to see if firmware updates.
    This just gets better everyday, I only wish to know how your relation with BlackBerry is?, I mean as you can see I have many frustrations, so own hardware is faulty and there own drivers are!

Fully depleted battery may not charge when BlackBerry Z10 smartphone is connected to charger

Link

NO SOLUTION!

17. AlexThibodeau

AlexThibodeau

Unity Technologies

How are you attempting to charge the phone? We discovered that if you attempt to charge the phone from the trickle charge off of your computer's USB then the phone will not boot for some reason. However if we plugged the phone into a wall charger that would resolve the issue and the phone would charge/boot just fine. Might be worth a shot if this is something that you haven't tried yet.

18. Jonny-Roy

Jonny-Roy

Agreed Alex, you need to charge it from the wall for around an hour and try again then. This is not a bb issue, it's the way those batteries are, you'll find most new phones the same, it's just your own phone gets charged all the time so you don't notice.

Personally I think the bb10 devices are very good, just a shame they don't get the same support as the others. (From users...the bb team are great)

19. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Do not agree, no other phone in my collection (Have many mobile for testing purposes , all platforms) has such a stupid issue, anyway I bought another BB battery for cheap of Amazon and used this to power up the phone and update the firmware, so hope the firmware is sorted. I'm now waiting for Blackberry to release BB 10.3 officially already. So I can submit "new games" without issues to them I if I choose to

Im not Blackberry "bashing" but simply its issues like this that leave a bad taste for customers.